PDA

View Full Version : Two wins from immortality

hibsbollah
27-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Amidst all this negativity and one of our worst ever league seasons, in terms of results entertainment and atmosphere, we are on the edge of doing sonething no Hibs side has done for 110 years.

Maybe its the sun drenching the nations capital today and the thought of the icy cold becks in the fridge im going to crack open in an hour but i am suddenly feeling glad to be a Hibby and swept with optimism.

Anyone else? :flag:

Pretty Boy
27-03-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm always glad to be a Hibby. A quick glance to the west of the city explains why.

It might take a few of those Becks you mention, or something stronger, to get me feeling too optimistic at the moment though.

Hibs are like the mate who taps cash from you, let's you down at short notice and never buys a round. He pisses you off something awful but you know he'll always be around and every once in s while will do something that makes you forgive all the faults.

ivan03
27-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Amidst all this negativity and one of our worst ever league seasons, in terms of results entertainment and atmosphere, we are on the edge of doing sonething no Hibs side has done for 110 years.

Maybe its the sun drenching the nations capital today and the thought of the icy cold becks in the fridge im going to crack open in an hour but i am suddenly feeling glad to be a Hibby and swept with optimism.

i would take relegation... to win the scottish cup against the hearts! and would wait another 110 to to beat that lot in the final again! it would be be thee greatest day in history!!

blackpoolhibs
27-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Nothing surprises me in football, and although i have not seen many great sides while following Hibs, how ironic would it be if one of the worst sides ever to pull on a Hibs strip actually won the bloody thing?

I dont suppose anyone would give a toss really? :greengrin

Spike Mandela
27-03-2012, 10:10 AM
2 wins from a combination of 3 teams Aberdeen, Celtic and Hearts whom we have played 10 times in League and cup. The record is..............

W 0 D 3 L 7 GF 2 GA 18

Yeah bring it on:rolleyes::greengrin

Keith_M
27-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm glad you're optimistic, as I'm having a bit of trouble being the same.

The reality is that we've been in so many sem-finals before, and usually with a much better team than this. I can't currently see any reason why we'll get a better result this time but, as with all Hibs supporters, I live in hope.

Actually, I'll be amazed if we beat Aberdeen......

....but I'm still spending a fortune on getting over for the game, so it doesn't make me a bad person, does it? :wink:

GreenCastle
27-03-2012, 10:20 AM
We really need two wins or more very soon to make our SPL survival safe.

If we managed to get 4 point out of the next two games then going into the semi final the pressure would be off. However ICT are record up there is woeful and Motherwell are where we should be in the league and flying - so will be very tough.

There has been too much talk on here about the Final - this semi will be very tough and the reality is yes it's two games till we win it but this semi final has to be our cup final and the final we will be massive underdogs against the tic or the yams.

As others have pointed out our form and results have been shocking so not going to the game expecting much so if we win it's an even better feeling.

SPL survival has to be all they think about in the next 2 weeks otherwise SFL football and no final would be a disaster. :rolleyes:

Purple & Green
27-03-2012, 11:04 AM
2 wins from a combination of 3 teams Aberdeen, Celtic and Hearts whom we have played 10 times in League and cup. The record is..............

W 0 D 3 L 7 GF 2 GA 18

And add to that we've won once at Hampden in our last 10+ Scottish Cup Games there over 30 years. Winning twice there in a month is going to be a bit of a stretch. We've beaten Celtic in the Scottish once since 1902, and Hearts - well lets not go there.

I tell myself, that we're underdogs, and it might suit Hibs to go in with a low expectation level. The best Hampden performance I can think of was when we beat Rangers on penalties, and not many expected something that night.

Hibbyradge
27-03-2012, 11:16 AM
There's more chance of history repeating itself, than this Hibs team attaining immortality.

And fairly recent history at that. :boo hoo:

ehf
27-03-2012, 12:34 PM

Admire your positive spirit mate but I honestly can't see this team winning another game this season; we are basically incapable of scoring against any half-way decent opposition.

Alex Trager
27-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Admire your positive spirit mate but I honestly can't see this team winning another game this season; we are basically incapable of scoring against any half-way decent opposition.

What like Kilmarnoc? Motherwell?

Hibee87
27-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Becks is rank :wink:

Hibrandenburg
27-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Becks Gold is the dug's hee haws!

Mikey
27-03-2012, 01:49 PM
It doesn't take long, does it? :rolleyes:

Does anyone think that Fenlon's team talk will centre around the fact that we've got no chance and shouldn't even bother turning up?

I'll settle for 2 nil nil's and 2 penalty shoot out wins :greengrin

hibsbollah
27-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I wonder what some of us will do should we win the thing. Probably wander about in a daze, trying to come to terms with the realisation that football, thankfully, doesnt follow any logical pattern.

hibsbollah
27-03-2012, 02:09 PM

So says the boy who likes buckie :greengrin:

Pretty Boy
27-03-2012, 02:30 PM
I wonder what some of us will do should we win the thing. Probably wander about in a daze, trying to come to terms with the realisation that football, thankfully, doesnt follow any logical pattern.

Walk about in a daze?

I've already got my appeal letter to the job centre written about why I am entitled to dole money even though my reason for being sacked was '8 weeks drunkenness'.

bawheid
27-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Does anyone think that Fenlon's team talk will centre around the fact that we've got no chance and shouldn't even bother turning up?

Meanwhile on another thread we've got some suggesting the board should be publically preparing for relegation!

Our support is packed to the brim with negative, bed-wetting, paranoid, sceptical, scaredy-cat, worrier LOSERS. It's no wonder we rarely win anything and the yams pump us every time.

STAND UP FFS.

Spike Mandela
27-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Meanwhile on another thread we've got some suggesting the board should be publically preparing for relegation!

Our support is packed to the brim with negative, bed-wetting, paranoid, sceptical, scaredy-cat, worrier LOSERS. It's no wonder we rarely win anything and the yams pump us every time.

STAND UP FFS.

Unfortunately so is our team.:cb

down-the-slope
27-03-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm Optomistic....Its an away game against Dons....we actually play alright away from home on occasions and even get the odd result.....

Also for some reason the Form of all 4 Semi finalists has hit a bump (Ok in our case there has been little else) However although against 'lower opposition' we have gone to away grounds in SC played Well and stood up to the situation.

So bring it on :flag:

Also just think...if we were to do it....you couldn't risk NOT being there.:wink:

Pete
27-03-2012, 03:37 PM

STAND UP FFS.

Totally agree. I hope they leave their moaning at home because there are some important matches coming up where there is no room for negativity of any sort.

Hibbyradge
27-03-2012, 04:00 PM

STAND UP FFS.

lol

The fans who think we're crap are losers?

They're realistic.

If you want to go shouting from the roof tops that we're going to win the cup, be my guest, that's your perogative, but our form and performances suggest otherwise.

23 points from a possible 93 in the league, 8 points behind the team in 10th place having played a game more, and we're 10, 19 and 52 points behind the 3 other semi-finalists.

We're utterly rubbish and no amount of positivity or superstition or cheer leading on this message board is going to make a blind bit of difference.

I'm not worried or paranoid about that, what would be the point?

I'm just facing facts. Call it preparing for the worst, if you like.

And my bed is perfectly dry.

Edit: Having said all that, If we play better than we have all season and Aberdeen have another off day, there's a chance we could get through the semi.

Keith_M
27-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Aha, so THAT'S the reason our team has been [censored] for ages and is second bottom of the league.

Here was me thinking it was somebody else's fault, e.g the players/manager, that I've been to Hampden 12 times and only seen Hibs win on three occasions. It was my fault all along!

The Board obviously have it wrong. Stop sacking the managers and trying to get better players, they need to get new fans instead and everything will be OK :wink:

Hibernia Na Eir
27-03-2012, 04:23 PM
would gladly take relegation if we got the silver mug. What a day it'd be.

weonlywon6-2
27-03-2012, 04:30 PM

:fibber:

ekhibee
27-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I can't really work up any enthusiasm for the semi-final, we are crap in so many departments, but maybe the fact that I don't care so much will maybe get the team to produce a result. Hope so anyway.

Hibee87
27-03-2012, 04:45 PM
So says the boy who likes buckie :greengrin:
It's an aquired taste, I drink it from chilled and in a wine glass might even add a cherry and umbrella

NAE NOOKIE
27-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Going by our last two performances theres as much chance of the cup final being played on the Moon as there is of us winning it.

GGTTH

:greengrin

Famous5forever
27-03-2012, 05:01 PM

W 0 D 3 L 7 GF 2 GA 18

Now you have gone and spoilt it.

snooky
27-03-2012, 05:05 PM

W 0 D 3 L 7 GF 2 GA 18

That's no' a very catchy title though, is it? :cb

hibsbollah
27-03-2012, 05:14 PM
It's an aquired taste, I drink it from chilled and in a wine glass might even add a cherry and umbrella

Theres no disguising true refinement and Hibs Cool© :aok:
I'll join you for a swally of that when we win the Cup. We could call it TheHappy Clapper :greengrin

hibeedonald
27-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Thread title should be 1 win from Europe, and that being a better euro spot than the one you get for coming in 3rd place, which is astonishing given the season we have had!! We will get humped in the Europa league but there might be a good trip involved and you never know!

BEEJ
27-03-2012, 05:21 PM
lol

They're realistic.

If you want to go shouting from the roof tops that we're going to win the cup, be my guest, that's your perogative, but our form and performances suggest otherwise.

23 points from a possible 93 in the league, 8 points behind the team in 10th place having played a game more, and we're 10, 19 and 52 points behind the 3 other semi-finalists.

We're utterly rubbish and no amount of positivity or superstition or cheer leading on this message board is going to make a blind bit of difference.

Edit: Having said all that, If we play better than we have all season and Aberdeen have another off day, there's a chance we could get through the semi.
:agree: Agree completely.

We might get to the final but there's little or no chance of us winning the thing. And that's not based on a defeatist attitude. It's based on how we've been playing this season - which is utter cr@p!

SPL survival is far more important anyway.

hibsbollah
27-03-2012, 05:46 PM
There are 'facts' which could point to an alternative scenario. Most obviously, we've been very good in the Cup. Two tricky away ties against lower league opponents, Ayr who have giant killing pedigree and Cowdenbeath who were top of their league at the time. Pundits were predicting we go out. Beating Killie and most impressively Motherwell away on pens who were on fire at the time. Aberdeen on neutral ground is nothing to be afeard of. Also when we last played the Sheep we were by far the better team and a 0-0 draw was a travesty.

Anyway, logic and stats shouldnt come out to it when brainless optimism on a sunny day is concerned :greengrin

Speedway
27-03-2012, 06:28 PM
The saddest part to me is that if we were to finally win the thing (and we all know that we're getting papped out by the Sheep after another 90 minute no-show from the 11 green bottlers) then I'd be absolutely delighted for about 24 hours and then it would be back to 'meh' about Hibs in general.

Too much pish served up for too long. It used to matter sooo much more.

Spike Mandela
27-03-2012, 06:33 PM
That's no' a very catchy title though, is it? :cb

Hopefully be the double A side 12" remix they are playing at semi:greengrin

bawheid
27-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately so is our team.:cb

I'm afraid you're a lost cause. I blame Alloa.

lol

You on the other hand, know better.

They're realistic.

How did it go again? Ah yes....!

We will win. Hibs for the Cup. :wink:

Didn't work then and probably won't work now. But this is Hibs FFS. Utterly ****** for decades, but can easily produce a moment of brilliance.

Remember how rubbish we were under Williamson? Still pumped both Rangers and Celtic in between prolonged spells of being pish.

This time we're not even giving ourselves a chance though. I'm not going to shout from the rooftops about how we're going to win the cup. But equally, I'm not going to write us off against a relatively mediocre Aberdeen side before we've even looked them in the eye. That's a loser mentality, no doubt.

Utterly rubbish teams win games from time to time. Ayr United, Clyde. Queen of the South, Falkirk. Most of them utterly rubbish, all of them with some notable results.

How about we actually back ourselves for a change? It's only the two games after all. Will it be that difficult to actually talk ourselves into thinking we've got a chance?

Hibs are pish. Aberdeen are ever so slightly less pish. Celtic are least pish and Hearts....well, if we meet them in a cup final, they'll be absolutely ****tttting themselves. Mediocre Hibs with nothing to lose except their 1902 ball and chain.....? I'll take that any day.

3pm
27-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Scottish cup is nothing more than a day out. More concerned about the league.

Hibernia&Alba
27-03-2012, 07:08 PM
I honestly don't think we're good enough to beat Aberdeen and then either Celtic or Yambo. If it happens it will be fantastic and one hell of a party, but only if we stay up. The joy of winning the cup would be totally ruined if it followed relegation. Dream scenario of course would be survival and then a trip to the final the following week. Now that would be fun!

nonshinyfinish
27-03-2012, 07:17 PM
I would love it, I would LOVE IT, if Sean O'Hanlon ends up with a Scottish Cup winner's medal.

Spike Mandela
27-03-2012, 07:22 PM

:thumbsup::greengrin

Franck Stanton
27-03-2012, 07:22 PM
I honestly don't think we're good enough to beat Aberdeen and then either Celtic or Yambo. If it happens it will be fantastic and one hell of a party, but only if we stay up. The joy of winning the cup would be totally ruined if it followed relegation. Dream scenario of course would be survival and then a trip to the final the following week. Now that would be fun!

Correct, SPL survival is the most important thing, cant believe anyone saying they would accept relegation to win a stupid cup, aye right, win the cup and spend all next season travelling to ****** grounds playing teams that are just slightly better than pub teams - and with the keek we would have playing for us, [ yes even worse than the keek we have at present], no gaurantee we would get back to the SPL in one season. Ye kin stick the S/Cup where the sun don't shine.

TornadoHibby
27-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Nothing surprises me in football, and although i have not seen many great sides while following Hibs, how ironic would it be if one of the worst sides ever to pull on a Hibs strip actually won the bloody thing?

I dont suppose anyone would give a toss really? :greengrin

Just a tad too optimistic particularly for you BH!!! :wink:

hibsbollah
27-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Ye kin stick the S/Cup where the sun don't shine.

:aok:

essexhibee
27-03-2012, 09:04 PM
I really feel we are going to beat the sheep. Dunno why just have a feeling. But then with that feeling comes the feeling that we are going to meet THEM in the final. Something for me which doesn't bear thinking about.

They better not win the bloody thing otherwise me and the old man have to get tattoos :greengrin

sahib
27-03-2012, 09:08 PM
I would love it, I would LOVE IT, if Sean O'Hanlon ends up with a Scottish Cup winner's medal.

Who he?

nonshinyfinish
27-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Who he?

Technically speaking, he's a professional football player.

mca
27-03-2012, 09:26 PM
2 years ago - i was in romania.

whilst kind of half merry - met - one of them very serious fortune tellers ...

she asked me what was worring me and half drunk (kinda yogi time) - so i told her my football team was in trouble - she then actually told me hibernias would be in trouble for 3 more years !!

there was nothing i was wearing or with anyone that could have told her about hibs... well it was - kinda freaky at the time....

snooky
27-03-2012, 09:38 PM

Is he a burglar?
:bandit:

Jim44
27-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Correct, SPL survival is the most important thing, cant believe anyone saying they would accept relegation to win a stupid cup, aye right, win the cup and spend all next season travelling to ****** grounds playing teams that are just slightly better than pub teams - and with the keek we would have playing for us, [ yes even worse than the keek we have at present], no gaurantee we would get back to the SPL in one season. Ye kin stick the S/Cup where the sun don't shine.

Too true. If this board is a reasonable reflection of Hibby opinion, two thirds of our support would exchange our SPL status for a Cup Final win. I find this unbelievable. The euphoria of winning the cup would be all but gone by the end of May and the misery of SFL football for at least a season would be too high a price to pay. Cup or SPL? It's a no-brainer.

snooky
27-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Too true. If this board is a reasonable reflection of Hibby opinion, two thirds of our support would exchange our SPL status for a Cup Final win. I find this unbelievable. The euphoria of winning the cup would be all but gone by the end of May and the misery of SFL football for at least a season would be too high a price to pay. Cup or SPL? It's a no-brainer.

Us aulder yins might go for the cup win as we're running out of seasons :wink:

The Harp
27-03-2012, 10:10 PM

I'm with you 100% on this one. We've gone 110 years without the holy grail another few isn't going to make any difference at all IMO. Compare that to playing outwith the top flight for a season, and possibly a lot longer - it doesn't bear thinking about.
Extremely worried about our situation to the extent that, for me, the least important game of those coming up is the one at Hampden on the 14th April.

Eyrie
27-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Us aulder yins might go for the cup win as we're running out of seasons :wink:
I'm 42, and feeling the same way.

I'm with you 100% on this one. We've gone 110 years without the holy grail another few isn't going to make any difference at all IMO. Compare that to playing outwith the top flight for a season, and possibly a lot longer - it doesn't bear thinking about.
We've been relegated twice in my lifetime, and the second resulted in me getting so drunk that I was blacking out on the train home. But we've survived both times and come straight back up.

I'll take the Cup win just this once.

The Harp
27-03-2012, 10:37 PM
We've been relegated twice in my lifetime, and the second resulted in me getting so drunk that I was blacking out on the train home. But we've survived both times and come straight back up.

I'll take the Cup win just this once.

Seen us relegated twice too, and escaped it by the skin of our teeth on several occasions. At my age, seeing us relegated again could finish me off - mind you so could the sight of a Hibs captain holding the Cup aloft at Hampden. Cannae win!:rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
27-03-2012, 10:45 PM

You on the other hand, know better.

How did it go again? Ah yes....!

We will win. Hibs for the Cup. :wink:

Didn't work then and probably won't work now. But this is Hibs FFS. Utterly ****** for decades, but can easily produce a moment of brilliance.

Remember how rubbish we were under Williamson? Still pumped both Rangers and Celtic in between prolonged spells of being pish.

This time we're not even giving ourselves a chance though. I'm not going to shout from the rooftops about how we're going to win the cup. But equally, I'm not going to write us off against a relatively mediocre Aberdeen side before we've even looked them in the eye. That's a loser mentality, no doubt.

Utterly rubbish teams win games from time to time. Ayr United, Clyde. Queen of the South, Falkirk. Most of them utterly rubbish, all of them with some notable results.

How about we actually back ourselves for a change? It's only the two games after all. Will it be that difficult to actually talk ourselves into thinking we've got a chance?

Hibs are pish. Aberdeen are ever so slightly less pish. Celtic are least pish and Hearts....well, if we meet them in a cup final, they'll be absolutely ****tttting themselves. Mediocre Hibs with nothing to lose except their 1902 ball and chain.....? I'll take that any day.

We will win. Hibs for the Cup.

That was the best, most positive mantra ever and I'm proud of it.

But we had a team then, Or should have had.

We've got a chance against Aberdeen. Granted.

Mon the Hibs.

Good post, btw.

Edit: Actually, that was a great post. :aok:

TornadoHibby
27-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Extremely worried about our situation to the extent that, for me, the least important game of those coming up is the one at Hampden on the 14th April.

Can't disagree with any of that BUT I'll still be at Hampden on April 14th hoping for a victory so a Cup win is possible! :wink:

TrickyNicky
28-03-2012, 12:29 AM
I really feel we are going to beat the sheep. Dunno why just have a feeling. But then with that feeling comes the feeling that we are going to meet THEM in the final. Something for me which doesn't bear thinking about.

They better not win the bloody thing otherwise me and the old man have to get tattoos :greengrin

Will it be of Colin Calderwood - as it was his team that Fenlon inherited?:greengrin

Speedway
28-03-2012, 10:23 AM
How about a scenario where we go down and get pumped by Los Yambolinos in the SC Final.

Can even Rod survive that?

TrickyNicky
28-03-2012, 10:48 AM
How about a scenario where we go down and get pumped by Los Yambolinos in the SC Final.

Aw, stoap it Speedway, nobody would survive that !

Is this an excerpt from your upcoming positive thinking book?

" Speedway - The road tae becoming the 3rd best motivator in Embra ":wink:

Speedway
28-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Aw, stoap it Speedway, nobody would survive that !

Is this an excerpt from your upcoming positive thinking book?

" Speedway - The road tae becoming the 3rd best motivator in Embra ":wink:

Here are the chapters from the forthcoming book.

1. You're crap and you know you are

2. You think there's hope, you're wrong.

3. Whatever you think, you're wrong

4. There is no point

5 Who cares?

It's a quick read and comes with bonus packet of swan vestas and a gallon of petrol.

TrickyNicky
28-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Here are the chapters from the forthcoming book.

1. You're crap and you know you are

2. You think there's hope, you're wrong.

3. Whatever you think, you're wrong

4. There is no point

5 Who cares?

It's a quick read and comes with bonus packet of swan vestas and a gallon of petrol.

I liked your chapter on being the second best you can be.

The one entitled " I'm not actually funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking" got me pretty fired up!

My favourite was " You all make me wish I had more middle fingers.

Speedway
28-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I liked your chapter on being the second best you can be.

The one entitled " I'm not actually funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking" got me pretty fired up!

My favourite was " You all make me wish I had more middle fingers.

Watch out for my 'Make People Happy - Die!' seminar this Winter.

hibsbollah
28-03-2012, 11:44 AM

You missed the ultimate nightmare scenario (with soundtrack from Radiohead and Morrissey) of Hearts losing their final two games killie winning their final two, hertz enter the bottom 6, play us on the week before playing us again in the sc final, and beat us both times to send us down and win the aild reekie cup final.

Now THATS pain.

TrickyNicky
28-03-2012, 11:51 AM
You missed the ultimate nightmare scenario (with soundtrack from Radiohead and Morrissey) of Hearts losing their final two games killie winning their final two, hertz enter the bottom 6, play us on the week before playing us again in the sc final, and beat us both times to send us down and win the aild reekie cup final.

Now THATS pain.

I think you would find that Amnesty International would get involved in something as heinous as that rather quickly!

Hibernia&Alba
28-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Now THATS pain.

:eek:

Pain? That's a slow death via torture. It's the modern day equivalent of being put on the rack, with Romanov turning the handle slowly as the bones break.