PDA

View Full Version : East Mains, what do we get from it?

oldbiker
26-03-2012, 05:11 PM
I watch the youth players coming back from East Mains and getting out of their mini bus, they look tired but fit so that would bode well you hope.

Pity they then dump their mcdonalds wrappers and greggs bags on the street.

Shows a total disregard for the professionalism of the club or the badge they wear.

Thought that nutrition and healthy eating would be high on the agenda rather than junk food and bo^^%s to the environment.

Must be me getting old but nae wonder we are in a state

Rant over

At The Edge
26-03-2012, 05:18 PM
on a different note, i see the young Livi players quite regular in Livi centre with the Greggs diet, maybe its whats in just now for young players, 2 steak bakes and a french fancie before they head back down to the ground! :greengrin

it does make you wonder if they have any thought for their diet, the guys at my work are probably more careful with their diet and they only go to the gym to workout/keep fit.

Mikeystewart
26-03-2012, 05:24 PM
helps us attract a higher standard of player:rolleyes:

muzzhfc
26-03-2012, 05:32 PM
i love it how people point the finger at EM. surely its more down to the manager bringing in/releasing players, training regimes (or lack of), managers commitment to the club in pre season (or lack of). i think, with a decent pre season and a few good signings we will soon forget about the "jynx" of EM

BroxburnHibee
26-03-2012, 05:35 PM
on a different note, i see the young Livi players quite regular in Livi centre with the Greggs diet, maybe its whats in just now for young players, 2 steak bakes and a french fancie before they head back down to the ground! :greengrin

it does make you wonder if they have any thought for their diet, the guys at my work are probably more careful with their diet and they only go to the gym to workout/keep fit.

Many moons ago I was the Head Chef at ER and I tried to give the players mince pies for lunch :greengrin

McLeish didn't take it too kindly though and told me so. His quote?........

"I wouldn't mind so much but Basher wouldn't know when to stop" :tee hee:

Captain Trips
26-03-2012, 05:39 PM
East Mains is only as good as the players you sign, it is a place to train and will not really ever make us any better IMO of course, the club needed a dedicated place to train, East Mains is OTT for us.

greenlex
26-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I thought the players ate at East Mains? Two Square meals a day etc. Lots of goodness etc.

oldbiker
26-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Its the attitude that is being instilled though.

Maybe auld Jock Wallace had the right idea with the gullane sands.

Jock Stein knew when the players were on the bevvy.

Most important for me its the pride in the badge, club ethos thing, I would have given anything to do what they do but lacked the talent but I am a thousand times more professional and proud of my Service than these laddies are o the club.

Still I suppose they are in training to fill Gary O's jersey rather than his boots

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Unbelievable! The club builds its own training facility and people are for ever moaning about it..............It's called progress FFS, if we had done nowt the accusation would have been that we have stood still, no ambition blah blah blah. We ridicule the Jambos for using Riccarton, sharing it with students then slag our own purpose built facility!

Why don't we invite the Jambos to share East Mains it will make them ****** also won't it?????

We will get from East Mains exactly what we put into using it!

Pretty Boy
26-03-2012, 06:22 PM
It's not East Mains that's the problem.

The problem is the lack of quality and bad attitudes of some of the players using it.

ManBearPig
26-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Unbelievable! The club builds its own training facility and people are for ever moaning about it..............It's called progress FFS, if we had done nowt the accusation would have been that we have stood still, no ambition blah blah blah. We ridicule the Jambos for using Riccarton, sharing it with students then slag our own purpose built facility!

Why don't we invite the Jambos to share East Mains it will make them ****** also won't it?????

:agree::agree::agree:
agree whole heartedly this is progress just not quick enough for SOME folk. Its excellent and one of the few things we have to be proud of at the moment. It WILL provide dividends but it will take TIME.

SloopJB
26-03-2012, 06:32 PM
A bus?

Perspective
26-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I watch the youth players coming back from East Mains and getting out of their mini bus, they look tired but fit so that would bode well you hope.

Shows a total disregard for the professionalism of the club or the badge they wear.

Thought that nutrition and healthy eating would be high on the agenda rather than junk food and bo^^%s to the environment.

Rant over

Don't know whether it's their diet or littering that bothers you most but I'm in total agreement.

Mark Wotte talked recently about seeing the diet of one of Scotland's youth teams first-hand and being appalled. An enlightened approach to nutrition is basic and should be drummed into them at an early age. Also remember comments a wee while ago from David Wotherspoon that he'd only just started to cook properly and that he'd usually just microwave whatever was in the freezer.

Depressing. You get out what you put in. Can't imagine players with career longevity like Paolo Maldini shovelled steak bakes down their throat.

Might seem like a minor issue given all our problems just now but it's symptomatic of a wider malaise at the club.

Craig_in_Prague
26-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Where do Utd, Well and St J all train? Just curious.

Albion Hibs
26-03-2012, 07:01 PM
i love it how people point the finger at EM. surely its more down to the manager bringing in/releasing players, training regimes (or lack of), managers commitment to the club in pre season (or lack of). i think, with a decent pre season and a few good signings we will soon forget about the "jynx" of EM

Its not down to east mains, the manager, the board or any jynx for me. It is 100% down to the individual, these kids are what 14-16, easily old enough to know far better, and if they dont it will be them that pays the price. They will end up being yet another punter standing in a boozer 10 years on drolling in some birds ear about how he could have been a footballer if X, Y and Z did not happen.

The club, a barn and a changing room can only do so much. If these kids dont have the brain to let them get there then they wont.

As for east mains, it is an excellent facility, we might not be getting anything from it just now, but over time we will. One or two good players and it plays for itself. We are no worse of for having it that is for sure.

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2012, 07:01 PM

The University of St Andrews Sports Centre is also the base for Scottish Premier League team Dundee United, who train on the pitches and use the fitness suites. Not sure about the other two.

blindsummit
26-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Don't know whether it's their diet or littering that bothers you most but I'm in total agreement.

Both bother me, but littering is one of my pet peeves and is a scourge of modern Scotland, in fact the whole UK. No one seems to have any respect for their environment. To me, how can you say you are proud to be from somewhere then chuck your chip wrapper on the road. Should be a hanging offence! Rant over. :dummytit:

Pretty Boy
26-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Its not down to east mains, the manager, the board or any jynx for me. It is 100% down to the individual, these kids are what 14-16, easily old enough to know far better, and if they dont it will be them that pays the price. They will end up being yet another punter standing in a boozer 10 years on drolling in some birds ear about how he could have been a footballer if X, Y and Z did not happen.

The club, a barn and a changing room can only do so much. If these kids dont have the brain to let them get there then they wont.

As for east mains, it is an excellent facility, we might not be getting anything from it just now, but over time we will. One or two good players and it plays for itself. We are no worse of for having it that is for sure.

Exactly.

I read an interview with Novak Djokovic recently. He put his transition from nearly man to world number one down to a radical change in diet and complete cessation of alcohol use. He commented that the change in his energy levels was unbelievable.

I can't imagine too many top athletes in other sports enjoy a weekly McDonald's and a few pints on a Saturday.

It must be a culture thing. Le Guen tried to change it at Rangers and Collins did likewise at Hibs. Look at the reaction they both got. Seems to me too many are only too happy to pick up a wage at the end of the week and don't have the drive to better themselves. That's the problem of the individual, not a training centre.

oldbiker
26-03-2012, 07:09 PM
The facilities at East Mains are great and like all great universities, colleges and academic institutions its not the facilities that deliver its the students and what they become.

If the professionalism being shown by the youth players is what we are going to get then its a total waste of money.

Its not just the littering (which does annoy me and most folk) or the bad habits of Scottish footballers in food and alcohol and drugs. It's that whole don't give a toss thing, these guys potentially could earn millions and make our club better (god knows we need that) and they dinnae care.
I wonder how many steak bakes and big macs with milk shakes Chris Hoy shoved down his throat to win golds??

Ach well I'm away for a "pie on a roll" and see if I can get between the sticks on Saturday, even at 56 I at least meet the dietary ethos if nothing else.

:hibees

Still if we win the Cup this year I will buy them all a steak bake :greengrin:greengrin

Spike Mandela
26-03-2012, 07:22 PM
We the fans get absolutely nothing from EM.

The players and tha management team however do. It gives them a base to work from, simple as that. Good players or bad that's all it is.

The management and the players will tell you it's essential. For me mini bussing around Edinburgh to train in dog poo ridden public parks wouldn't make this tean any better or worse.

It's an irrelavence but we are stuck with it so no point complaining.

Glasgow Hibee
26-03-2012, 07:26 PM

Mark Wotte talked recently about seeing the diet of one of Scotland's youth teams first-hand and being appalled. An enlightened approach to nutrition is basic and should be drummed into them at an early age. Also remember comments a wee while ago from David Wotherspoon that he'd only just started to cook properly and that he'd usually just microwave whatever was in the freezer.

Depressing. You get out what you put in. Can't imagine players with career longevity like Paolo Maldini shovelled steak bakes down their throat.

Might seem like a minor issue given all our problems just now but it's symptomatic of a wider malaise at the club.

I agree completely. Hibernian have an investment in these players and their bodies and should be insisting on good nutrition, at least when they are under our control (at training). This is just part of instilling pride and a professional attitude. Being a young professional sportsman is more than putting ina a few hours training each day. They should feel as if they are athletes and should be encouraged to look after their bodies so they can have a long and successful career.

And if they are not willing to adopt that attidue they should be ditched.

Albion Hibs
26-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Exactly.

I read an interview with Novak Djokovic recently. He put his transition from nearly man to world number one down to a radical change in diet and complete cessation of alcohol use. He commented that the change in his energy levels was unbelievable.

I can't imagine too many top athletes in other sports enjoy a weekly McDonald's and a few pints on a Saturday.

It must be a culture thing. Le Guen tried to change it at Rangers and Collins did likewise at Hibs. Look at the reaction they both got. Seems to me too many are only too happy to pick up a wage at the end of the week and don't have the drive to better themselves. That's the problem of the individual, not a training centre.

I would think him, and every other sports person that is at the top of the top of their game is the same. In modern sport I dont think any athlete can get away with it. I read a decent book recently which pashed all over the theory that talent is borne but instead comes through nothing other than commitment and practice.

Part of the problem is no doubt the fear in scotland that throwing away a youngster due to attitude is like throwing away potential money, we cant buy young talent alas we have to hold on to anything that resembles it, so we can punt it on when someone comes sniffing.

That said the club seems to have clamped down on the youngsters walking around the stand on game day with pies and pizzas, they need to apply the same around the ground and dare i say it get someone inspiration to come in and talk to these boys every once in a while.

mca
26-03-2012, 07:38 PM

I can back that up as i was in the queue for a happy meal for me and my kid yesterday in livi - and about 6 young squad lads joined the queue and i thought to myself - where is the rest of the young team - then i remembered - there is 3 mcdonalds and 3 greggs in livi center !!!

Both bother me, but littering is one of my pet peeves and is a scourge of modern Scotland, in fact the whole UK. No one seems to have any respect for their environment. To me, how can you say you are proud to be from somewhere then chuck your chip wrapper on the road. Should be a hanging offence! Rant over. :dummytit:

one of the things i hate to see at easter road is all the litter blowing about the park during the game ... its disgusting.. :aok:

Matt92
26-03-2012, 07:38 PM
It seems at the moment all they are getting from it is a good room to play pool and FIFA in.

However, It should not be underestimated how important good training facilities are. All the best teams in every league of the world have the best facilities. We have a good infrastructure, superb actually.

The key difference new facilities bring is for the Youth Academy. By having good facilities, we can attract youth players who's key requirement is development: therefore it is very important where they are developed. By allowing them to play almost whenever they want on full sized pitches that are very high quality, with numerous gym equipment and various other tools at their disposal, we can aid their development. This allows them to develop into wee gems and benefit our club sustainably. This hopefully will bear fruits in years to come.
For now the only problem we may have is attracting outside of edinburgh youth due to our league position. Apart from that any prospective Youth players will see us as prime location; best place for development in Scotland.

East Mains will work out.

Craig_in_Prague
26-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Maybe players need a manager they can look up to and be inspired from.. A guy thats played at a pretty high level and worked hard all his career. Perhaps even he could still be rather fit and even have a 6 pack.... Oh wait a min.

mca
26-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Maybe players need a manager they can look up to and be inspired from.. A guy thats played at a pretty high level and worked hard all his career. Perhaps even he could still be rather fit and even have a 6 pack.... Oh wait a min.

Someone with a 6 pack... :wink:

Think half the young teams have the wrong idea - and are working on the wrong kind of six-pack a night tho.... :cheers:

500miles
26-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Depends what particular type of training they had been doing. A Pizza Slice from Greggs, or a Steak Bake is actually a pretty good source of recovery nutrients in the aftermath of high intensity and physically competative cardio - fats, carbohydrates as well as proteins. When it comes to post-workout nutrition, not all pizzas are created equally. While a slice of poor quality pizza may slow your progress, a pizza with the right ingredients (Domino's Pizzas come under this category.) can help you recover after a workout without adding unnecessary calories. For instance, pizza made on a whole wheat or thin crust, topped with tomato sauce, sauteed vegetables and lean chicken can make for a healthy alternative that still satisfies your post-workout deficit for carbs, proteins and fats.

Basically, if you sit on your arse in an office and eat a steak bake, you're not getting the benefit from "junk food". Junk food itself is a misleading and misused term - most foods containing high levels of fats, or sugars are useful to those who's profession or routine demands them. It's a question of balance. A guy who just ran a marathon is going to benefit a hell of a lot more from a thin crust chicken and veg pizza than someone who's sat in the house playing Fifa.
Of course, if you spot Garry O'Connor tucking into a deep fried mars bar, then there's no jusitification.

Signed, a former 20st fatty who just done a 5 minute mile on a whim prior to his usual 2 hour work out.

500miles
26-03-2012, 08:38 PM
I would think him, and every other sports person that is at the top of the top of their game is the same.

Apart from the fastest man in the world.

ekhibee
26-03-2012, 08:58 PM
I would think him, and every other sports person that is at the top of the top of their game is the same. In modern sport I dont think any athlete can get away with it. I read a decent book recently which pashed all over the theory that talent is borne but instead comes through nothing other than commitment and practice.

Part of the problem is no doubt the fear in scotland that throwing away a youngster due to attitude is like throwing away potential money, we cant buy young talent alas we have to hold on to anything that resembles it, so we can punt it on when someone comes sniffing.

That said the club seems to have clamped down on the youngsters walking around the stand on game day with pies and pizzas, they need to apply the same around the ground and dare i say it get someone inspiration to come in and talk to these boys every once in a while.

I'm in a bit of a quandary about East Mains really. If it is the attitude of the players that is the problem then I don't really see what facilities would make a difference if the attitude remains the same, and it makes EM a pretty redundant thing to have. However the quality of players is important too-If this facility helps improve the ability or quality of individuals then it is a very worthwhile thing to have. Still waiting to see a noticeable difference in the fitness levels of the 1st team considering they must use this facility at least twice a week, but as I haven't seen the youngsters playing for a while, maybe they are reaping the benefits. In any case, like it or not, we have it now, so it seems a pity to waste a superb facility like this, and, having been round it, there seems to be little excuse for not taking advantage of the excellent fitness room and playing pitches, while maybe spending a little less time in the games/recreation room. Then again, maybe I'm just being a bit cynical.

GreenCastle
26-03-2012, 09:02 PM
On the subject of food and club standards - can someone explain to me why Hibs don't feed players after games? Any reply except cost will be allowed :wink:

oldbiker
26-03-2012, 09:18 PM
normally greggs are shut by then

Heedersnvolleys
26-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Depends what particular type of training they had been doing. A Pizza Slice from Greggs, or a Steak Bake is actually a pretty good source of recovery nutrients in the aftermath of high intensity and physically competative cardio - fats, carbohydrates as well as proteins. When it comes to post-workout nutrition, not all pizzas are created equally. While a slice of poor quality pizza may slow your progress, a pizza with the right ingredients (Domino's Pizzas come under this category.) can help you recover after a workout without adding unnecessary calories. For instance, pizza made on a whole wheat or thin crust, topped with tomato sauce, sauteed vegetables and lean chicken can make for a healthy alternative that still satisfies your post-workout deficit for carbs, proteins and fats.

Basically, if you sit on your arse in an office and eat a steak bake, you're not getting the benefit from "junk food". Junk food itself is a misleading and misused term - most foods containing high levels of fats, or sugars are useful to those who's profession or routine demands them. It's a question of balance. A guy who just ran a marathon is going to benefit a hell of a lot more from a thin crust chicken and veg pizza than someone who's sat in the house playing Fifa.
Of course, if you spot Garry O'Connor tucking into a deep fried mars bar, then there's no jusitification.

Signed, a former 20st fatty who just done a 5 minute mile on a whim prior to his usual 2 hour work out.
Sorry can't agree you do not need fats to recover from a cardio work out. Proteins and carbs yes but the main thing that they should be getting told is there is so much
more better things to aid recovery. like you say it depends on the effort and/or intensity they have put through. If they have not done much cardio and mostly ball work very little recovery would be required. (you do not burn as much calories as you think when you exercise, to burn a large big ac meal you need to run a marathon)
I just get the feeling of a general lack of professionalism about the place. Again a very small detail but even the way our subs at half time when they come out and warm up looks like a kick about in the park with mates when recently noticed killie, st m and st j all haviing a bit more structur how they go about things. All these small details add up. (and yes before I get shot down we have much greater things to worry about)

McD
26-03-2012, 09:40 PM
EM is exactly the kind of facility we should have and need to (attempt) to keep ourselves moving forward, I don't think anyone would argue with what situation is better: minibussing and carsharing about trying to find a public/hireable pitch to train on in all sorts of weather and in most cases awful states, or a purpose built location with all the facilities a professional could ask for to help them hone their skills.

However, the bug bear for me is this. Why do our players (seemingly) get away with 2-3 hours a day of work? Why aren't they there for the majority of the day?

Why aren't the management team drilling the back four and GK a la' George Graham's Arsenal to eradicate the errors being made? Why aren't the attacking midfielders and forwards working on linkup play and finishing? Why aren't all the outfield players being put through specific stamina training to increase our chances of being able to be still running hard at 95 minutes? Why aren't all the players spending time doing stretching/yoga exercises to minimise the chances of niggly muscle injuries occurring? Why aren't they being sat down to watch dvd footage of their next opponents with targetted and detailed analysis of weaknesses and habits to exploit?

It seems like the only skills being worked on are FIFA 12 controller tricks, junk food comparisons and ability to spot a winner on the horses, which is possibly the most dissapointing part of this ***** season - players who apparently for the most part couldn't give a toss (the loan players may not have the club's best long term interests at heart, but professional pride and their next career step should be driving them to do better).

The best performers in any walk of life do not get to that level by relying on their talent alone, they work the backsides off to make sure that talent is given the platform it deserves.

500miles
26-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Sorry can't agree you do not need fats to recover from a cardio work out.

You don't NEED it, but it contributes to insulin levels reaching 3 times that of a fat-less post cardio metabolism. For muscles and energy stores to recover well, appropriate fats are a real asset. Like I said, it's a question of balance.

Sir David Gray
26-03-2012, 09:48 PM

St Johnstone WERE training at Stirling University last summer, at least for a few days anyway, alongside the Falkirk players, who are based there.

No idea how permanent that arrangement is/was.

One Day Soon
26-03-2012, 09:50 PM
A professional facility in which to develop and train professional footballers.

As soon as we can develop a squad with a professional attitude to everything they do we will see the benefits of East Mains.

Heedersnvolleys
26-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Having been to EM the facilities are excellent but I think what we are we are trying to say if they are no getting used to there full potential it is just another piece of grass and may as well be leith links!
I can remember a thread a while back asking if we had a dedicated fitness/conditioning coach. If I remember it was never really answered, anyone know?

Killiehibbie
26-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Diet is half the battle as far as fitness goes. Doesn't matter how long and hard you train if you don't eat properly you're toiling to match the guys who do. Shouldn't stop you being able to pass the ball to a team mate though.

Eyrie
26-03-2012, 10:06 PM
EM is exactly the kind of facility we should have and need to (attempt) to keep ourselves moving forward, I don't think anyone would argue with what situation is better: minibussing and carsharing about trying to find a public/hireable pitch to train on in all sorts of weather and in most cases awful states, or a purpose built location with all the facilities a professional could ask for to help them hone their skills.

However, the bug bear for me is this. Why do our players (seemingly) get away with 2-3 hours a day of work? Why aren't they there for the majority of the day?

Why aren't the management team drilling the back four and GK a la' George Graham's Arsenal to eradicate the errors being made? Why aren't the attacking midfielders and forwards working on linkup play and finishing? Why aren't all the outfield players being put through specific stamina training to increase our chances of being able to be still running hard at 95 minutes? Why aren't all the players spending time doing stretching/yoga exercises to minimise the chances of niggly muscle injuries occurring? Why aren't they being sat down to watch dvd footage of their next opponents with targetted and detailed analysis of weaknesses and habits to exploit?

The best performers in any walk of life do not get to that level by relying on their talent alone, they work the backsides off to make sure that talent is given the platform it deserves.

:top marks

snooky
26-03-2012, 10:08 PM
There are two large mounds at East Mains that JC had built to be used as a method of building up stamina (a-la Gullane sand dunes).
Mixu never used them. Don't know if Yogi, CC or PF have.
Anybody know?

IberianHibernian
26-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Someone on this thread said that EM pays for itself and more ( or similar ) - how much do we get from renting out pitches etc ? Read recently about a course ( football and English language for foreign teenagers ) organised by an Edinburgh - based organisation with everything ( meals , English classes , .. ) based at Ibrox - obviously Rangers are much better - known than we are but it`d be interesting to know if our facilities are only used by Hibernian FC staff - get someone with a Hibs connection like Steve Archibald to endorse a course and you`ve got a money spinner and a way to promote the name of Hibernian FC . Big clubs like Arsenal or AC Milan have courses all over the world using their name too - I presume someone from Hibs tries to offer EM as a base for such courses or at least has made serious investigations into viability of doing it ? Find it amazing too , not to read about top clubs or national teams using EM for training camps - lots of teams from northern and eastern Europe spend weeks in Spain and Portugal in winter and a lot of clubs have pre seasons in Austria and Switzerland but also at times in Scotland ( Barcelona in St Andrews for example )? I`m sure EM is great for training but there are also commercial opportunities which don`t seem to be being made most of ( say seem because I don`t know full situation and hopefully will be wrong ) . When club announced recent campaign to attract immigrants to support Hibs probably 90% of fans will have thought "great but why has it taken so long to do it ? " In case of EM presumably business plan included ways of creating income so no fans will not be wondering the same . Final question and anti EM only for this point - would this Saturday`s Under 19 Derby not have been an opportunity to get several hundred ( thousand ) young football fans along to Easter Road with free / cheap admission ?

basehibby
27-03-2012, 12:01 AM

Rant over

Silly wee ****ers need their erses kicked :grr:

They are representing the club when they have the kit on and acting like stupid wee neds sheighting on their own doorstep is no way to go about doing that - they are also showing little regard for their own careers if they regularly dine out at such establishments :rolleyes:

The Green Goblin
27-03-2012, 02:34 AM
Diet is a 24/7 thing. The players can eat as much healthy food as they want at EM, but unless they also do it at home or wherever on every other day of the week, then it's pointless. It has to be a way of life. No training centre in the world can change a self-destructive eating habit or mentality...

HH81
27-03-2012, 06:12 AM
I once chatted to a premiership footballer who had just played against Liverpool, we were in Burger king and he got burger and chips.

He has now signed for Liverpool, so I guess some junk food is ok every now and then? :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2012, 06:27 AM
I once chatted to a premiership footballer who had just played against Liverpool, we were in Burger king and he got burger and chips.

He has now signed for Liverpool, so I guess some junk food is ok every now and then? :confused:

Looks like it’s been a hindrance - if he never ate it he might have been at a really good team. :dunno:

HH81
27-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Looks like it’s been a hindrance - if he never ate it he might have been at a really good team. :dunno:

Doubt it, average player. Then again Liverpool are the only club to have won silverware this season. :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
27-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Dropping litter in the street is a disgrace and lets Hibs down, they should be given that message in no uncertain terms !!!

IMO football players are athletes and should behave as such. I think for some time now our first team have looked slow and ponderous.

As far as I'm concerned they should be living the lifestyle of Olympic competitors with total dedication to the things that will make them stronger and faster. Anything else is letting the club ... and especially themselves, down.

You can east as many burgers and drink as many beers as you like when you retire from the game.

I remember an interview with Lewis Stevenson when he was a younger player in which he said he didnt drink and tried to eat the right things. Is it coincidence that he is our most energetic player every saturday ?

Basically .... Get a grip !!!

Broken Gnome
27-03-2012, 07:53 AM

No idea who that could have been.... :greengrin

Albion Hibs
27-03-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm in a bit of a quandary about East Mains really. If it is the attitude of the players that is the problem then I don't really see what facilities would make a difference if the attitude remains the same, and it makes EM a pretty redundant thing to have. However the quality of players is important too-If this facility helps improve the ability or quality of individuals then it is a very worthwhile thing to have. Still waiting to see a noticeable difference in the fitness levels of the 1st team considering they must use this facility at least twice a week, but as I haven't seen the youngsters playing for a while, maybe they are reaping the benefits. In any case, like it or not, we have it now, so it seems a pity to waste a superb facility like this, and, having been round it, there seems to be little excuse for not taking advantage of the excellent fitness room and playing pitches, while maybe spending a little less time in the games/recreation room. Then again, maybe I'm just being a bit cynical.

I think a lot of people think miss the point of east mains, it is to provide a fixed facility for a football club to train from, rather than leasing sessions in private gyms, playing on poor condition public parks as and when they are available, or leasing indoor space. At very least EM is an asset and all business are better off with assets, I would assume particularily this season when it is likely we may need to be visiting the bank in light of potential poor ticket sales.

EM should however not be confused with fat camp, despite some attempt to justify what types of food are good for you, even if it is the case, there is a time and place to be ramming a greggs into your face and it is not as the fans are pouring (maybe a bit strong!) into the stadium to no doubt end up on the recieving end of yet another bad result!

HH81
27-03-2012, 08:52 AM
No idea who that could have been.... :greengrin

Guess :wink::greengrin

Gatecrasher
27-03-2012, 09:04 AM

Some of the backwards thinking from folk is unreal

blackpoolhibs
27-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Where should we train and have the 19s play their games? :confused:

Broken Gnome
27-03-2012, 09:29 AM

Does his name rhyme with 'gnarly madam'?

Pretty Boy
27-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Where should we train and have the 19s play their games? :confused:

The jack kane centre?

But then the folk moaning about East Mains would be slating the club for being short sighted.

CabbageBoy
27-03-2012, 09:43 AM
The jack kane centre?

But then the folk moaning about East Mains would be slating the club for being short sighted.

Without squandering £5m on a training centre we might have a team to put on the park. Without building a stand we will never fill, we might be able to fill the other 3 stands. The board took a punt; they were wrong in the short and medium term. We might not get to see a long term; this year we are (so far) marginally less bad than Dunfermline (mostly thanks to the points gained by our first crap manager and crap team) but Ross County will not be so poor. Which of the sides currently above us do we think we might overtake?

blackpoolhibs
27-03-2012, 09:49 AM
The jack kane centre?

Not been in the jack kane centre in over 30 odd years, would it be suitable for a professional football team, the 19s and other age groups to go about their every day business, along with everything else that goes on at east mains? :confused: What would this cost, and would we have to fit in with whatever else is going on there? :dunno:

Pretty Boy
27-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Not been in the jack kane centre in over 30 odd years, would it be suitable for a professional football team, the 19s and other age groups to go about their every day business, along with everything else that goes on at east mains? :confused: What would this cost, and would we have to fit in with whatever else is going on there? :dunno:

It most definitely wouldn't be suitable and long term it would work out more expensive.

I'll criticise the board when they deserve it but the building of EM isn't something that merits criticism imo. I think that's something we both agree on.

blackpoolhibs
27-03-2012, 09:59 AM
It most definitely wouldn't be suitable and long term it would work out more expensive.

I'll criticise the board when they deserve it but the building of EM isn't something that merits criticism imo. I think that's something we both agree on.

:agree:

basehibby
27-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Exactly.

:agree: We have an ingrained culture of self abuse and idiocy in our football - these days pros have no excuse whatsoever IMO as all the facts are out there and many of them MUST know that they are pishing the opportunity for a brilliant career and untold riches down the toilet.

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2012, 12:42 PM

An average player that Liverpool have signed from another EPL side?

Charlie Adam
Andy Carroll
Jordan Henderson
Stewart Downing

Take your pick!

snooky
27-03-2012, 04:52 PM

Shirley this must be a whopper. :fibber:

:wink:

Brizo
27-03-2012, 05:34 PM
The jack kane centre?

The Jack Kane would definitely be character forming. Dodging neds on quadbikes , devil dogs and dogtomkite would certainly keep the players on their toes :greengrin.

RE the OP weve louts in the first team squad and looks like weve got litter louts in the youth squad. Dropping litter might not seem a big deal but it suggests to me that players arent being schooled in how they should be behaving when on club duty.

Re EM a designated training facility was needed but im not convinced that one of the scale and grandeur of EM was required. We have EPL standard facilities but i cant see any tangible benefits from them on matchdays.

Scouse Hibee
27-03-2012, 05:38 PM
The Jack Kane would definitely be character forming. Dodging neds on quadbikes , devil dogs and dogtomkite would certainly keep the players on their toes :greengrin.

RE the OP weve louts in the first team squad and looks like weve got litter louts in the youth squad. Dropping litter might not seem a big deal but its indicitive to me that players arent being schooled in how they should be behave when on club duty.

Re EM a designated training facility was needed but im not convinced that one of the scale and grandeur of EM was required. We have EPL standard facilities but i cant see any tangible benefits from them on matchdays.

If you're not taught about dropping litter as a child then your parents are at fault, nothing to do with Hibs how some folk have dragged their kids up with no sense of decency!

IWasThere2016
27-03-2012, 06:06 PM
An increase to our cost base we cannae afford. Other than that nowt else! :grr:

erin go bragh
27-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Its the attitude that is being instilled though.

Maybe auld Jock Wallace had the right idea with the gullane sands.

Jock Stein knew when the players were on the bevvy.

Most important for me its the pride in the badge, club ethos thing, I would have given anything to do what they do but lacked the talent but I am a thousand times more professional and proud of my Service than these laddies are o the club.

Still I suppose they are in training to fill Gary O's jersey rather than his boots
Jock Wallace always seams to get the mention when folk talk about the dunes at gullane beach.

But our own Hugh Shaw used the dunes away back in the late 40s ,having Smith and the likes
running up and down them . [didnt do that team any harm eh ]
ggtth

oldbiker
27-03-2012, 09:17 PM
I served my time as a mechanic in the same garage Jock Wallace did and the guys used to talk about him running to and from work in his tackety boots.

The garage had a right football history with Jock and a motherwell goalkeeper Frankie Duncan and Jumbo Jim Jeffries all working there at various times. The line stopped with me sadly.

R'Albin
27-03-2012, 09:25 PM
An average player that Liverpool have signed from another EPL side?

Charlie Adam
Andy Carroll
Jordan Henderson
Stewart Downing

Take your pick!

Out of that lot who'd be most likely to be in a Burger King :hmmm: