PDA

View Full Version : Trying to see a positive from Saturday's results

The Sea-gull
26-03-2012, 08:59 AM
After the weekend results for us and the Pars, I am not too down. Granted I am dissappointed to lose again but when you expect something to happen it does soften the blow! Looks as though St Mirren and ICT (they pretty much were anyway) are really close to safety now so dissappointed the faint hope of someone else getting dragged in is fading.

A few weeks back after we drew 0-0 with St Mirren at home I was really dissappointed despite Motherwell beating Dunfermline, as I had ear-marked the St Mirren game as one which we could realistically win whilst I though Motherwell would beat Dunfermline anyway.

This week I thought we would lose given the form of ourselves and Utd but I did think that Dunfermline would win so the damage has not been too bad.

Next weekend they have Utd away and we go to ICT. I can't see them getting anything off Utd just now, though I do appreciate stranger things have happened. I'd say we have more chance of getting a result at ICT than they do at Utd though if putting money down I'd go for a Utd and ICT double. Suspect the gap will still be at least three points this time next week.

The tipping point before the split will be the last weekend of games in early April. We have well at home and they have Hearts. Motherwell are a funny team in that they are the thrid best team this season but seem prone to losing two or three in a row now and then. Hoping they are on one of those runs right now and we can take advantage though right now would not back us in that game. Hearts basically have the top 6 place sewn up now and are poor on the road - how motivated are they going to be? Despite JJ's connections he'd love to put one over on Romanov as well as relegate Hibs so he'll have them right up for this game.

We could be within a point or so or level going into the split. Bottle and fight required in abundance from the team and the fans from there on in.

Part/Time Supporter
26-03-2012, 09:07 AM
What you are saying is reflected in the bottom place betting market, where the only significant movement was ICT going way out from about 10/1 to 50/1 due to their win. Dunfermline stayed about the same and Hibs tightened slightly.

spike220
26-03-2012, 09:11 AM
After the weekend results for us and the Pars, I am not too down. Granted I am dissappointed to lose again but when you expect something to happen it does soften the blow! Looks as though St Mirren and ICT (they pretty much were anyway) are really close to safety now so dissappointed the faint hope of someone else getting dragged in is fading.

A few weeks back after we drew 0-0 with St Mirren at home I was really dissappointed despite Motherwell beating Dunfermline, as I had ear-marked the St Mirren game as one which we could realistically win whilst I though Motherwell would beat Dunfermline anyway.

This week I thought we would lose given the form of ourselves and Utd but I did think that Dunfermline would win so the damage has not been too bad.

Next weekend they have Utd away and we go to ICT. I can't see them getting anything off Utd just now, though I do appreciate stranger things have happened. I'd say we have more chance of getting a result at ICT than they do at Utd though if putting money down I'd go for a Utd and ICT double. Suspect the gap will still be at least three points this time next week.

The tipping point before the split will be the last weekend of games in early April. We have well at home and they have Hearts. Motherwell are a funny team in that they are the thrid best team this season but seem prone to losing two or three in a row now and then. Hoping they are on one of those runs right now and we can take advantage though right now would not back us in that game. Hearts basically have the top 6 place sewn up now and are poor on the road - how motivated are they going to be? Despite JJ's connections he'd love to put one over on Romanov as well as relegate Hibs so he'll have them right up for this game.

We could be within a point or so or level going into the split. Bottle and fight required in abundance from the team and the fans from there on in.

If this is your idea of positive mate then Damn!!!

You made me feel even worse by reading your post, there is nothing positive about anything you said.

The Sea-gull
26-03-2012, 09:20 AM
If this is your idea of positive mate then Damn!!!

You made me feel even worse by reading your post, there is nothing positive about anything you said.

I know, I'm a doom and gloomer :wink:

Sorry, all I'm trying to say is that things could be worse. We lost a game to a team who are flying and have been considerably better than us for a couple of seasons now.

We have struggled to beat them for a good while so hardly unexpected on Saturday. Dunfermline were playing weaker opponents who are off form and they had a new manager but still did not get the "bounce" from a new man enough to get a win.

We could have easily been 1 point clear instead of 3!

Part/Time Supporter
26-03-2012, 09:30 AM
From reading the Dunfermline match reports, ignoring all the bluster about how much of a managerial genius Jumbo allegedly is, they read like Dunfermline were largely outplayed by St. Mirren.

greenlex
26-03-2012, 09:49 AM
From reading the Dunfermline match reports, ignoring all the bluster about how much of a managerial genius Jumbo allegedly is, they read like Dunfermline were largely outplayed by St. Mirren.
This is the only positive for me. The expected lift from JJ didnt happen. They are at Tannadice next week before the Merricks visit them before the split so the chances of the lift happening is fading. If the new manager lift was going to happen for them I reckon it would have happened against St Mirren.
I know our games are not exactly easy but it will be all down to the post split games. Hopefully we will be more than 3 points ahaed going into that

Famous5forever
26-03-2012, 09:57 AM

The results at the weekend changed nothing there gained point was worth nothing because of our superier goal difference which might just be what saves us in the end personally how we do it i do not care as long as we stay up.

SlickShoes
26-03-2012, 10:31 AM
It all comes down to when we play them, we are currently as bad as eachother they have a slightly worse home record than us. When we play them, if we win we are 6 points clear if the current 3 point gap is still there and that I think is too much for them to overcome, if they beat us though morale will hit rock bottom and we will continue to get worse.

PeeJay
26-03-2012, 11:01 AM
This is the only positive for me. The expected lift from JJ didnt happen. They are at Tannadice next week before the Merricks visit them before the split so the chances of the lift happening is fading. If the new manager lift was going to happen for them I reckon it would have happened against St Mirren.
I know our games are not exactly easy but it will be all down to the post split games. Hopefully we will be more than 3 points ahaed going into that

We are further down the road than them with a new manager, so our lift must be coming soon, surely :greengrin??

Sammy7nil
26-03-2012, 11:33 AM
It all comes down to when we play them, we are currently as bad as eachother they have a slightly worse home record than us. When we play them, if we win we are 6 points clear if the current 3 point gap is still there and that I think is too much for them to overcome, if they beat us though morale will hit rock bottom and we will continue to get worse.

If we Lose AGAIN to Dunfermline we will deserve to go down.

NAE NOOKIE
26-03-2012, 05:42 PM
The positive was the inability of Dunfermline to pick up 3 points from a game they would have hoped for a win from, given that St Mirren have been a bit shakey lately.

But the big problem is that after a wee period where Hibs put in a few decent performances we have put in two of our worst efforts since January. The effort at the PBS was rotten. To be fair we did OK in the first half against Dundee Utd, but the second half was worse than against the Yams.

I thought that the loan guys had settled in and that they were going to do a job for us, but now I just wonder if its a good thing to have half your team in the position where relegation will have no affect on them coz they will be back at their own clubs in the summer anyway. I'm not saying I'm right, just that it is a worry.

If we do have to rely on the Pars being below par until the end of the season ( see what I did there ) then shame on us.

blackpoolhibs
26-03-2012, 05:54 PM
I think the top 6 clubs are way better than we are, but we will get better results than Dunfermline will against the bottom 6 clubs.

Famous5forever
26-03-2012, 05:59 PM

I Am starting to worry a bit i suspect we will both lose our next 2 games so we will probably go into the split 3 points above them.
The post split fixtures should we get them in the 1st game or the last game ? the game should be a home game for us but our away form is better.
God forbid if they beat us say in the 1st game after the split we would be neck and neck with 4 games to go.
But if we beat them we are home and dry, a draw would still be a worry, the other worry is if they beat the PBS Mob at there own patch or draw that point/points could be vital.
Please can we just win our next 2 games and settle this pre split.:agree:

Craig_in_Prague
26-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Positive? Its another game closer to this season ending.