PDA

View Full Version : Are we as a support too soft?

Green Cabbage 7
25-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Are we acting just like the players, any other club there would be demonstrations but we just seem to well, lets be honest turn and face the other way or disappear so do we as a support need to toughen up and be counted!

The Falcon
25-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Are we acting just like the players, any other club there would be demonstrations but we just seem to well, lets be honest turn and face the other way or disappear so do we as a support need to toughen up and be counted!

Which you would expect to achieve what exactly?

Green Cabbage 7
25-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Which you would expect to achieve what exactly?

Don't know give the players and club a shake and say this club matters maybe!

Viva_Palmeiras
25-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Ask the dons how their repeated demos worked out

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-03-2012, 11:46 AM
We could always try kicking some tartan bunnets about outside the West Stand.

iain nolan
25-03-2012, 11:58 AM
if you look at the club we have acived one hell off a lot under sir tom remember we almost went to the wall before he took the club under his wing .
i dont think the fans are soft but many fans remember the dark days off the hands off hibs witch saved us . i understand that we now have younger fans who where just kids dueing these dark days and maybe expect more from the peaple running the club .

we have won the league cup
brought though some off the best young players in his time
ground first class
trainning centre
good under 19 set up
a good balance sheet

unfortanly the 1st team has been poor for a few season now
collins, hughes, mixu all ex players who the fans wanted done nothing to squard

calderwood never worked out every manager was given a budget to inprove the team so who do we blame.

i tell you the players and getting on there backs not going to help us at the momont

Green Cabbage 7
25-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Guys I'm not meaning anything like sack the board or anything like that just something symbolic which shows we care and that it hopefully translates to the players that we have strong feelings for the club what can we do to show our strength

marinello59
25-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Guys I'm not meaning anything like sack the board or anything like that just something symbolic which shows we care and that it hopefully translates to the players that we have strong feelings for the club what can we do to show our strength

Do you honestly think they don't know how we feel?
Just now is a time for unity, we should all be standing together until our fate is decided. Whether we stay up or not I would expect those in charge of our club to carry out a thorough and swift post mortem of our season. Nobody's position should be sacred, those who have failed should leave.

SouthamptonHibs
25-03-2012, 01:55 PM
For the 6000 that will turn up for our next home game as its live on tv i think we should all bring white hankies and wave them when we r getting pumped at home. It won't achieve anything but is a form of protest that won't upset our players and the happy clappers as there is no verbal abuse to the wage thiefs we call players. Cannae see us beating the well but u never no hail hail

Famous5forever
25-03-2012, 02:45 PM
For the 6000 that will turn up for our next home game as its live on tv i think we should all bring white hankies and wave them when we r getting pumped at home. It won't achieve anything but is a form of protest that won't upset our players and the happy clappers as there is no verbal abuse to the wage thiefs we call players. Cannae see us beating the well but u never no hail hail

Sorry i dont like that idea we would be as well waving white flags instead of hankies lets just get behind the team they need our support more than ever not protests.

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-03-2012, 03:10 PM
if you look at the club we have acived one hell off a lot under sir tom remember we almost went to the wall before he took the club under his wing .
i dont think the fans are soft but many fans remember the dark days off the hands off hibs witch saved us . i understand that we now have younger fans who where just kids dueing these dark days and maybe expect more from the peaple running the club .

ground first class
trainning centre
good under 19 set up
a good balance sheet

calderwood never worked out every manager was given a budget to inprove the team so who do we blame.

i tell you the players and getting on there backs not going to help us at the momont

Any chance of installing a spell checker on here please?

:rolleyes:

MrSmith
25-03-2012, 03:49 PM
What is there to protest about?

We got: a new manager; new players - 8 off; bigger commitment from the board in January; a bit more transparency from them too!

What do we do?

I'm no happy clapper and I'm completely perplexed as to how we have become a bunch of pansies/fairies/pufties etc. On the park? But what to do, what to do?

I like Pat Fenlon, Billy Brown and some of the players, the board do what they do ... So what do we protest about? The cost attending, the pies and drinks and maybe, the pizza?

To me it is quite obvious - we need to breed a stronger mentality within the youngsters at East Mains! Rod should have a built up a network of extraordinary gentlemen to coordinate the best youth talent, this country has to offer, brought into East Mains. Failing this, bar the first team from EM and get them running round Arthur Seat, Gullane Sand Dunes, train on *****ty council playing fields and school fields! Also, get them all out doing as much bloody community work as possible!

Brizo
25-03-2012, 03:54 PM
If by toughening up we mean the vitriolic hate filled bile that has been directed at managers down south like Steve Kean then no thanks.

Fans are protesting ... they are voting with their feet and have been i would suggest since the aftermath of the 2007 Cup Final.

More will vote with their feet if we go down and im not convinced the kind of investment would then be made to guarantee our return to the SPL as in the "great adventure" season.

As a pay as you go fan who went yesterday the sense of apathy and resignatation around me when it all went tits up was very obvious. Hopefully when it comes to the final post split bottom 6 fixtures (and before) we as a support will do our bit. The problem is we have yet another new manager and another set of "new" players who are failing to do their bit. Demonstrations of whatever variety will imo do nothing to improve their performance.

Seveno
25-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Whatever the views of our Chairman, Board, Manager or team - this is our Club. Right now it needs our support to avoid relegation with all the long term damage that would result.

To my mind, if you are really a fan, then now is the time to get behind the players. That means turning up no matter how badly they are performing, encouraging the them and refraining from shouting and booing at them. That is the best way to get the best out if them and why they consistently play better away from home.

:flag:

Alfred E Newman
25-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Yes we are soft. Soft in the head.

Pretty Boy
25-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Do you honestly think they don't know how we feel?
Just now is a time for unity, we should all be standing together until our fate is decided. Whether we stay up or not I would expect those in charge of our club to carry out a thorough and swift post mortem of our season. Nobody's position should be sacred, those who have failed should leave.

The board have seen us get consistently worse for the last 5 years and have done little to.change the overall structure of the club, the now annual pre Agm sacking of the manager apart.

Why will this year be any different?

Hibernia&Alba
25-03-2012, 06:03 PM

ground first class
trainning centre
good under 19 set up
a good balance sheet

A fair line of argument, though I think the OP is just frustrated, as we all are, with the first team. It's great having a lovely stadium and first class training complex, but the most important thing at every club is performances and results. I understand his desire to let off steam at somebody; it would have happened by now at many clubs, yet right now unity is the best policy, IMO - fans together and fans with club - as this provides the best opportunity of survival. However, all fans have their breaking point, and our patience won't last forever. The close season requires a full scale inquest followed by a much better 2012-13.

Famous5forever
25-03-2012, 06:06 PM
The board have seen us get consistently worse for the last 5 years and have done little to.change the overall structure of the club, the now annual pre Agm sacking of the manager apart.

Why will this year be any different?

that situation could only happen again if Paddy fails and i refuse to accept that any manager could be worse than Colin was.

Paddy will turn us round and hopefully be here for many years id take the Scotish Cup and 2nd bottom this season and build next season :aok:

Pretty Boy
25-03-2012, 06:13 PM
that situation could only happen again if Paddy fails and i refuse to accept that any manager could be worse than Colin was.

Paddy will turn us round and hopefully be here for many years id take the Scotish Cup and 2nd bottom this season and build next season :aok:

I like Fenlon and think he has all the attributes to be a good manager.

The problem is that this summer, regardless of what league we are in, we need 7 or 8 players added to the squad. Again.

This is becoming an annual ritual. Without wholesale changes we are goingbto find ourselves back here this time next year, regardless of who is manager.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-03-2012, 06:29 PM
IMO demonstrations and the like are self-defeating. All they do is give people, who CAN make an impact on things, a hook to hang the blame on. Fans would boo or demonstrate because the performances have been abysmal and the lack of desire has at time been little short of heart-breaking.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2012, 06:37 PM
I think as a support we are at our lowest ebb, i was talking to my mate yesterday about how unattached i felt from the club these days.

Now dont ask me what i mean, i cant put it into words, i just feel less and less attached these days, i have no real love for any of the players. I dont have a favorite, i'm not bothered who actually plays these days.

I dont think i'm the only one who feels like this, apathy has set in for lots of folk.

Pretty Boy
25-03-2012, 06:40 PM
I think as a support we are at our lowest ebb, i was talking to my mate yesterday about how unattached i felt from the club these days.

Now dont ask me what i mean, i cant put it into words, i just feel less and less attached these days, i have no real love for any of the players. I dont have a favorite, i'm not bothered who actually plays these days.

I dont think i'm the only one who feels like this, apathy has set in for lots of folk.

Sums it up for me.

For 6 years I made a 200 mile round trip every other week to watch Hibs.

I now live quite literally 200 yards from ER and can count on 2 hands how many games I've been to this season.

Hibernia&Alba
25-03-2012, 06:43 PM

I don't think you're alone by any means. IMO, hope is the key word. As a fan you've got to have hope that there are good times ahead. You need to feel excited by something; to have the adrenaline pumping. Just now we have widespread resignation and are bereft of hope. Perhaps a trip to the cup final after having secured safety will bring back your old spirit, bh. We need something that makes us feel like we're going forward.

Matt92
25-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Are we too soft?

This depends in what perspective.

1) Too soft: In terms of our development over the past 10 years, one would argue how we managed to nose dive as badly as we have, why something hasn't been done sooner, why the club as a whole seems to have responded very slowly to it's demise. So I would say in this respect, yes, we have been too slow, don't know about soft. Maybe we should have put more pressure on a reconstruction off the board and a rethink of its strategies.
Vs
2) Too harsh: Sometimes we are the cause of our own destruction...see Mixu, Collins etc. We are very quick as a support to witch hunt managers when things go wrong. This does not help our cause as we have not realized that WE are responsible for the revolving door of managers, which destabilises the club, destabilises our playing staff and will cost us a pretty penny. So in that aspect, we as a support are too harsh.
Vs
3) Too harsh: how many games do we boo our own players, get on their backs, slander them on this message board etc. THIS DOES NOT HELP US. Imagine if you went into work every day, sure you are paid to do your job and you work your hardest at it but you don't always perform as well as other companies equivalents, how would you feel if every day you came in with the whole organisation on your back criticising you to high hell for everything you do wrong and not acknowledging everything you do right? Your morale would plummet and you would perform even worse.

I think we as a support are too harsh and we criticise the wrong areas of the club.
People don't realize we are every bit as much to blame for the rot as Mr Petrie etc.

Feed McGraw
25-03-2012, 07:17 PM

Unfortunately BH, that is EXACTLY how I feel. An awful lot of other Hibbies I know feel the same way. I`m 56 years old next month and lived and breathed Hibs for most of that time, it upsets me how I feel now, it really does, but what`s the answer ? Change managers , change players, it doesn`t seem to make a blind bit of difference. Seriously, what the hell has happened to Hibs ? What the F*****G hell has happened ?

Nuitdelune
25-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Not sure about apathy but when you feel embarrassed, it's a hard emotion to take/laugh off but then there is always hope, I hope

Dashing Bob S
25-03-2012, 08:08 PM

Yes. I agree with Pat Fenlon's advocacy of a return to traditional 80's/90's values where we feared wherever we went.

But we still had mostly poor sides.

Maybe the older fans might be able to help: could we 'as a mob' hold our own in the 60's and 70's era of open terracing warfare?

Perhaps a return to the 50's and waving rattles around?

SouthamptonHibs
25-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Are we too soft?

This depends in what perspective.

1) Too soft: In terms of our development over the past 10 years, one would argue how we managed to nose dive as badly as we have, why something hasn't been done sooner, why the club as a whole seems to have responded very slowly to it's demise. So I would say in this
respect, yes, we have been too slow, don't know about soft. Maybe we should have put more pressure on a reconstruction off the board and a rethink of its strategies.
Vs
2) Too harsh: Sometimes we are the cause of our own destruction...see Mixu, Collins etc. We are very quick as a support to witch hunt managers when things go wrong. This does not help our cause as we have not realized that WE are responsible for the revolving door of managers, which destabilises the club, destabilises our playing staff and will cost us a pretty penny. So in that aspect, we as a support are too harsh.
Vs
3) Too harsh: how many games do we boo our own players, get on their backs, slander them on this message board etc. THIS DOES NOT HELP US. Imagine if you went into work every day, sure you are paid to do your job and you work your hardest at it but you don't always perform as well as other companies equivalents, how would you feel if every day you came in with the whole organisation on your back criticising you to high hell for everything you do wrong and not acknowledging everything you do right? Your morale would plummet and you would perform even worse.

I think we as a support are too harsh and we criticise the wrong areas of the club.
People don't realize we are every bit as much to blame for the rot as Mr Petrie etc.

Disagree with your point three. The fans have nothing to do with the teams performance over the past few years. this season at easter road
We have won one game out of 16 league games at home scoring twelve goals off which six where scored in two games. The players are at fault as is the manager/s we have had this year!

hibsbollah
25-03-2012, 08:13 PM
We've lost our essential Begbieness. When your manager is the boy you would most count on in a swedge you know youve got problems.

Sergey
25-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Yes. I agree with Pat Fenlon's advocacy of a return to traditional 80's/90's values where we feared wherever we went.

But we still had mostly poor sides.

Maybe the older fans might be able to help: could we 'as a mob' hold our own in the 60's and 70's era of open terracing warfare?

Perhaps a return to the 50's and waving rattles around?

Maybe getting back to the attire of old might appease some, well certainly moi.

Looking at the clobber that some of our so called 'supporters' are currently adorning leaves me somewhat embarrassed. I swear I witnessed a lad in the FF wearing a Gola top.

Standards haven't just slipped on-the-park. The fans need to take a good and long hard look at their wardrobes.

Dashing Bob S
25-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Maybe getting back to the attire of old might appease some, well certainly moi.

Looking at the clobber that some of our so called 'supporters' are currently adorning leaves me somewhat embarrassed. I swear I witnessed a lad in the FF wearing a Gola top.

Standards haven't just slipped on-the-park. The fans need to take a good and long hard look at their wardrobes.

:not worth:top marks

Don Giovanni
25-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Whether we stay up or not I would expect those in charge of our club to carry out a thorough and swift post mortem of our season. Nobody's position should be sacred, those who have failed should leave.

:agree: 100%. That is exactly what should happen.

As a club we are failing in every possible aspect.

Unfortunately, I have little faith in those responsible for running the club being held accountable for our poor performance both on and off the field.

jdships
25-03-2012, 08:48 PM

My word ! I imagine you may just have summed it up for more than one supporter :thumbsup:
That is a mirror image of my own feelings.
I have no urgency /anticipation to go to ER these days .
Normally a fixture against D Utd would have been 99% a must . Yesterday , looked at the weather , foggy /cold and decided straight off to give it a miss .

I know it has been mentioned dozens of times but soccer is part of the " entertainment business" and those who spend hard earned cash want to be " entertained".
Doesn't matter if it is films ,music , ice hockey, rugby , or whatever , dissatisfied customers vote with their feet

What is the answer ? That my friends is the $64000 question :wink:. Answer that and you win a chocolat watch :greengrin