PDA

View Full Version : A club to haunt the old firm

NAE NOOKIE
24-03-2012, 09:50 AM
If the OF ever get their wish to move to Engerlund the sad truth is that within 10 years of that happening just about every kid in Scotland will support one or the other. The attraction of supporting a team that plays Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea every week will be too strong and every newspapers will have EPL pull outs on a Sunday and about 5 pages at the back devoted to the OF.

The SPL will get half a page at the bottom of page 6 at the back....... Thats the sad truth of it.

In my wee fantasy what happens is that the other clubs in Scotland get together, sell every asset they have and form one huge club called 'Not the Old Firm F.C'

They build a 60,000 capacity stadium on the outskirts of Edinburgh next to the M8 and sell season tickets to punters all over Scotland who would rather not go to football than follow the OF. The season tickets will reduce in price the further you live from the stadium. The club play in all Black and the badge on the chest is the Grim Reaper. On the left sleeve is the badge of the founder club you used to support, Hibs, St Mirren, Morton, Raith Rovers ... Whoever.

Not the OF F.C. also plays in the EPL and It has two derby matches every season during which the OF fans and players are given a new perspective as to what hatred and bile really are.

I would support that club !!!

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Would there be any reason why kids living in Scotland, wouldn't support Newcastle or Sunderland?

Hainan Hibs
24-03-2012, 09:55 AM
I'd prefer to continue supporting Hibernian FC.

NAE NOOKIE
24-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I'd prefer to continue supporting Hibernian FC.

Sigh !

Me too, but if you read the post you still are a Hibs supporter ..... Its just that you now have a chance to join up with fans of other clubs in order to give the OF a footballing nightmare.

:greengrin

weecounty hibby
24-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Not for me. My hatred of the OF is far outweighed by my love for Hibernian. What you propose would see the end of Hibernian but the OF would still be here!

Thinking outside the box though so well done for imagination.

Elephant Stone
24-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Would there be any reason why kids living in Scotland, wouldn't support Newcastle or Sunderland?

He's saying that the Scottish press would prioritise the EPL and the two Scottish teams would become attractive to young folk who hadn't grown to hate them, which makes sense and would be far more influential than the fact that Sunderland and Newcastle aren't too far away. I think he's right, and it would be pretty grim.

Hibbyradge
24-03-2012, 10:27 AM
If the OF ever get their wish to move to Engerlund the sad truth is that within 10 years of that happening just about every kid in Scotland will support one or the other. The attraction of supporting a team that plays Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea every week will be too strong and every newspapers will have EPL pull outs on a Sunday and about 5 pages at the back devoted to the OF.

The SPL will get half a page at the bottom of page 6 at the back....... Thats the sad truth of it.

In my wee fantasy what happens is that the other clubs in Scotland get together, sell every asset they have and form one huge club called 'Not the Old Firm F.C'

That's how I see it too, although you're overestimating the newspaper coverage.

Can you imagine what Sportsound would be like? It's already OF centric and we only get an occasional mention because, inconveniently, we're in the same league as them and have to play against them.

If the OF were away, BBS Scotland would continue to cater for the vast majority of it's a=udience to the exclusion of everyone else.

If folk think I'm being too pessimistic, have a think about how much radio/tv coverage is currently given to the Scottish first division. Or better still, ask yourself how much interest you take in it.

They build a 60,000 capacity stadium on the outskirts of Edinburgh next to the M8 and sell season tickets to punters all over Scotland who would rather not go to football than follow the OF. The season tickets will reduce in price the further you live from the stadium. The club play in all Black and the badge on the chest is the Grim Reaper. On the left sleeve is the badge of the founder club you used to support, Hibs, St Mirren, Morton, Raith Rovers ... Whoever.

Not the OF F.C. also plays in the EPL and It has two derby matches every season during which the OF fans and players are given a new perspective as to what hatred and bile really are.

I don't think you're far from the truth actually.. The way current finances are, if the OF buggered off, rather than compete for players with the Blue Square league etc, mergers between the remaining clubs will be a real possibility.

The OF GTF supporters are certain that Scottish Football would survive if they left. I am too, but it won't look anything like it does today. IMHO, of course.

Keith_M
24-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Start at the back page of the Daily Record and you need to get past 8 pages of the OF to find anything about the other clubs. Their online edition has two giant buttons on the sports pages where you select if you want to read stories slavering about Rankers or about Celtc.

At the January Transfer Window, we had STV reporters parked live outside Murray Park, with occasional references to the other clubs signings.

The signing of Jorge Claros was under the Rankers heading in one online newspaper because they still couldn't get their head round the fact that he signed for Hibs, and probably already had the "Rangurs is the only team Ah evur wanted tae play fur" article pre-written.

How exactly is that different from your scenario with the OF in the EPL?

Scouse Hibee
24-03-2012, 10:46 AM
After ten barren years in English football the loyalty of the weegie knuckle draggers would be severly tested!

Captain Trips
24-03-2012, 11:21 AM
It is important to remember both clubs fans are used to watching their club win things very regularly, this would totally change if moved away and the novelty of playing Man Utd, Arsenal etc would soon wear off if no trophies at end of season.

Beefster
24-03-2012, 11:25 AM
After ten barren years in English football the loyalty of the weegie knuckle draggers would be severly tested!

Within 10 years, with crowds bigger than most English sides and Premiership TV money, Celtic and Rangers would be competing for European spots in the EPL.

GreenCastle
24-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Massive flaw - Old Firm are still in Scotland and England doesn't want or need them down south.

Even if they were voted in (which wouldn't be easy) - as has been discussed on here - they would be lucky to get into the EPL within 10 years - after starting further down the leagues and that's if they were lucky to get promoted every season.

In their quest to get up the leagues their funds would drop significantly with lack of European money and league winners money they currently take up here.

Plenty of kids up here support English teams so can't see them supporting a lower division Old Firm team - the effect may even be the opposite with kids wanting to follow local teams in a competitive SPL!

I like the thought of everyone ganging up on the Old Firm - that should be happening right now with the state of Rangers and them having limited power. Don't think the idea of teams merging would go down too well - I think we could still survive and over time do well in a league without the Old Firm with teams living within their means and still getting a bit of money through T.V.

Captain Trips
24-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Within 10 years, with crowds bigger than most English sides and Premiership TV money, Celtic and Rangers would be competing for European spots in the EPL.

Yes they would but they will go from winning them to competeing and that for me is the difference, the OF win they do not really compete.

Panda
24-03-2012, 03:48 PM
So Scottish football would have only three clubs? Sounds exciting.

ShanksSaidNo
24-03-2012, 04:13 PM

A trip to the Gin Bin for you!

Hibercelona
24-03-2012, 04:50 PM
If more and more kids start following the OF, then we have ourselves as a society to blame.

lyonhibs
24-03-2012, 04:55 PM
A trip to the Gin Bin for you!

:rotflmao::rotflmao:

The "Gin Bin" :thumbsup: Qwality.

jgl07
24-03-2012, 05:28 PM

Wasn't that what Wallace Mercer proposed?

The_Todd
24-03-2012, 05:46 PM
What? The OF fans and OF loving media will concentrate on the the OF and ignore Scottish Football? Chick Young not having his say on any SPL matter ever again?

Happy days! :cb