PDA

View Full Version : *****Answers From The Board - Part 1*****

Mikey
23-03-2012, 08:46 PM
You may remember that we collated questions a few weeks ago and sent them to the board. Because of the sheer volume of questions asked they will be answered in stages and I've just received part 1.

The questions answered relate to Scouting and Strategy. If your question isn't in this section it will be answered in due course.

Scouting

Q. Do we have what could be recognised as a scouting system that is actively looking at players across the world for the club?

A. Yes. David Woodison is the Scouting Co-ordinator and he is directed by the Manager to co-ordinate all scouting activity through an established and expanding network to continue build a database of player talent and availability from as wide a geographic sphere as possible.

Q. Who does the chief scout report to?

A. There is no Chief Scout. David Woodison works closely with the manager and coaching team. All of whom report to Scott Lindsay, Executive Director, who in turn reports to the Board.

Q. Do Hibernian have a policy of not spending 'fees' on youth players from other clubs?

A. There is no such policy but the regulations within Scotland on Development Contribution now ensure that clubs are compensated well in the event that a young player moves between clubs. This has certainly reduced activity in this area throughout the country. We responded to this several years ago and we placed more resource and greater emphasis on talent identification at younger age groups to allow us to develop our own talent.

Q. What has happened to the mooted link up with a top European club?

A. The Club has strong links and contacts with lots of other clubs throughout Europe.

Q. What is the club's position on a Director of Football, in terms of a 'football person' as opposed to an administrator and how this might work without impacting on the authority of the manager?

A. The authority of the Manager relating to football matters is paramount – it is he that makes the football decisions, and selects the team on the park. We don’t believe that a Director of Football position can work without impacting on the authority of the manager. The Executive Director leads a team based at HTC that supports the Manager, coaching staff and first team; the Academy; and runs all football administration.

Strategy

Q. Now that the infrastructure is in place, does the Board have a Strategy in place for the next 5 years and do they agree that available funding should be prioritised towards building a successful team?

A. The strategy of the Club remains consistent – to put a winning, entertaining team on the park; to focus on and develop youth through the Hibernian Academy; to expand the supporter base; to anchor the club as a unifying force in the local community; to run Hibernian on a sustainable basis to ensure the club is here for future generations to support. Of course all available funding is prioritised towards building that successful team – that has been, and always will be the case.

Q. To what extent has the board's ambitions been altered over the last five years as a result of poorer results on the park?

A. The Board’s ambitions remain consistent no matter results on the park – we have completed the infrastructure, developing a world class training centre and stadium. We want a team that competes for silverware and qualifies for European competition on an annual basis. The Board have built a stadium and training centre that provides the platform for success, and the Club now has a Manager who can deliver that success.

Q. Is STF still committed to Hibs ownership in the long term and in the unfortunate circumstance that STF can't or won't carry out his role as owner what are the contingency plans for the future ownership? Is the club up for sale?

A. Sir Tom Farmer is wholly committed to the Club. Additionally, at the last AGM he repeated his assertion that he was open to new investment and would welcome discussions with any party willing to commit to invest in Hibernian.

Q. What is the clubs 3/5 year plan - for both the club and football side? Why does the Board not share specific details with supporters, and how can we as supporters make the Board more accountable for their performance?

A. The Board has been consistent and repetitive with its plans and ambitions for the Club as per the answers above. We are open and communicative and have nothing to hide. We communicate with supporters on a daily basis via email, telephone or meetings and are happy to discuss any issue at any time. The Chairman and other Board members all circulate around the Stadium on match day talking with supporters.

Q. Given the recent high player turnover, what plans do the Board have for stabilising the playing staff?

A. One of the key goals for the football department is to maintain a consistent managerial, coaching and playing staff. This obviously has not happened over the past few seasons and it is something were all want to address with the appointment of Pat Fenlon. In a football landscape where contract durations are becoming shorter in general, there is a balance to be struck between making long-term commitments whilst allowing the Manager to refresh and strengthen the squad. The current state of the market in football means there will always be a turnover of playing staff, however the Club remains committed to long term contracts for appropriate talent.

Q. The club has invested heavily in infrastructure in recent years. How do the board intend to maximise their use in order to benefit from this investment?

A. The Board is solely focused on putting a winning team on the park – all else flows from that. We have strategic goals to increase the supporter base, and plans to utilise the stadium and training centre assets more productively on a commercial basis to increase revenues throughout the business. Recent examples of this are the Scotland U21 match v Italy and the full national team friendly v Australia, both of which will be held at the Stadium. Every commercial opportunity is being explored and we will announce activity as it comes on-line.

Q. Our overheads appear to be relatively high. How do the board intend to lower them in order to give us a competitive advantage where it matters - on the pitch?

A. The training centre and investment in the Academy has obviously increased operational costs since 2008, but we believe this is an investment vital to the future of the football club and the supporters’ survey in terms of their priorities backed this up. The Club has already reduced operating costs significantly over the past two years and will continue to do so. This has meant re-structuring, redundancies and not replacing posts that were vacated through natural wastage. The costs of the Executive team have also been reduced by almost 50%. Further costs will be reduced across the business whilst we remain focused on channelling funds into the first team.

Hibbyradge
23-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Q. Is STF still committed to Hibs ownership in the long term and in the unfortunate circumstance that STF can't or won't carry out his role as owner what are the contingency plans for the future ownership? Is the club up for sale?

A. Sir Tom Farmer is wholly committed to the Club. Additionally, at the last AGM he repeated his assertion that he was open to new investment and would welcome discussions with any party willing to commit to invest in Hibernian.

That's a bit inconvenient. :wink:

LamontHFC©
23-03-2012, 09:07 PM
"Of course all available funding is prioritised towards building that successful team – that has been, and always will be the case."

:rolleyes:

Same old stuff really. Hard to believe it when we see so little evidence. Talk is cheap.

Hibbyradge
23-03-2012, 09:12 PM
"Of course all available funding is prioritised towards building that successful team – that has been, and always will be the case."

Same old stuff really. Hard to believe it when we see so little evidence. Talk is cheap.

lol

Steven_Hibs
23-03-2012, 09:19 PM

:top marksVery true! They can certainly talk the talk, but can they walk the walk :rolleyes:

But in saying that, at least they are answering the questions they are given

BroxburnHibee
23-03-2012, 09:21 PM

The perfect example of why he shouldn't have bothered.

matty_f
23-03-2012, 09:24 PM
The perfect example of why he shouldn't have bothered.

:agree:

Hibbyradge
23-03-2012, 09:29 PM

:top marksVery true! They can certainly talk the talk, but can they walk the walk :rolleyes:

But in saying that, at least they are answering the questions they are given

You guys are hilarious.

Where do you think the available funding goes? lol

Saorsa
23-03-2012, 09:33 PM
The strategy of the Club remains consistent – to put a winning, entertaining team on the parkSo this tells us they have a strategy, they've said that before. Whatever they have been doing hasnae been working. They have failed miserably for years tae do this, resulting in declining attendances. Disnae say what, if anything they are going tae do tae change things as they clearly havnae been working.

Anybody who thinks what we've been watching since the league cup win has been entertaining must have their eyes painted on.

PaulSmith
23-03-2012, 09:34 PM
I think the thousands of Hibs fans who read this post will find it informative and another step in the right direction in terms of communications.
Yes, the answers are fairly bland but it's what I expected and look forward to the next installment

carnoustiehibee
23-03-2012, 09:51 PM
The answers were always going to be "bland" and "boring". The ain't exactly going to give away all there top secret plans on a tinternet forum with all the media vulchers circling above.

jonty
23-03-2012, 10:00 PM
The answers were always going to be "bland" and "boring". The ain't exactly going to give away all there top secret plans on a tinternet forum with all the media vulchers circling above.

Only because it's the same answers they've been giving for years.
so they'll be dismissed as boring, the same old propaganda, lies etc etc.

There will be some insight into how the operation works, but largely we will already know the answers.

Cannae please all the punters, all the time. :greengrin

Steven_Hibs
23-03-2012, 10:06 PM
You guys are hilarious.

Where do you think the available funding goes? lol

What's this funding that you speak of? :confused: :greengrin :wink:

down the slope
23-03-2012, 10:16 PM
So this tells us they have a strategy, they've said that before. Whatever they have been doing hasnae been working. They have failed miserably for years tae do this, resulting in declining attendances. Disnae say what, if anything they are going tae do tae change things as they clearly havnae been working.

Anybody who thinks what we've been watching since the league cup win has been entertaining must have their eyes painted on.

The strategy is to give us exciting football by being second bottom to Hamilton and if that was not enough dicing with relegation with Dunfermline, the plan as i see it is to panic every six months and call it a strategy , cobblers !. This bunch of imposters think they are unanswerable to anyone but their time will come someday soon then we can get our club back from the accountants and lawyers that know f... all about football , lets hope it's not to late for that.

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2012, 10:44 PM
The strategy of putting the best possible team on the pitch has clearly not worked recently, we have to hope that now the infrastructure is finished, this will change and Paddy Fenlon IS the man to do that? :pray:

smurf
23-03-2012, 10:51 PM
I welcome the answers.

Steven_Hibs
23-03-2012, 11:28 PM
The strategy is to give us exciting football by being second bottom to Hamilton and if that was not enough dicing with relegation with Dunfermline, the plan as i see it is to panic every six months and call it a strategy , cobblers !. This bunch of imposters think they are unanswerable to anyone but their time will come someday soon then we can get our club back from the accountants and lawyers that know f... all about football , lets hope it's not to late for that.

:top marks:agree:

Jonnyboy
23-03-2012, 11:28 PM
I welcome the answers.

:agree: Me too but the non answer to this one is a tad worrying

Steven_Hibs
23-03-2012, 11:30 PM

Craig Whyte might be sniffing :greengrin

hibee_nation
23-03-2012, 11:30 PM
What's this funding that you speak of? :confused: :greengrin :wink:

We call it wages you call it optional i think. :confused::greengrin:wink:

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2012, 11:32 PM
I welcome the answers.

So do I......................when are we getting them!

Steven_Hibs
23-03-2012, 11:33 PM
We call it wages you call it optional i think. :confused::greengrin:wink:

Ah those, always wondered about that :confused::greengrin:wink:

smurf
23-03-2012, 11:33 PM

It is indeed strange that the questions were completely blanked...

jonty
23-03-2012, 11:50 PM
It is indeed strange that the questions were completely blanked...
Then the questions need to be asked in a better, non-avoidable way.

And asked again :greengrin

Ie When STF can (or will) no longer carry out his role as owner what are the contingency plans for the future ownership?

Or maybe it's been blanked because it's obvious. The board has to work with the new owners, whoever they may be.

spike220
24-03-2012, 12:15 AM
I think this is great and thank them for time in answering these questions, I thought they were honest and felt I learned something.

GGTTH

spike220
24-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Now to deal to those whining about the responses given.:greengrin:greengrin

If the board had announced an ambitions plan to sign Messi, coupled with a billion pound investment over the next three years you would still be whining.

I can imagine the complaints:

-It's not the hibs way
-What about our own talent
-Do we think we can just buy success
-We are going to need a bigger stadium

I hear so many people whining and complaining all the time, I have half a mind that it is actually my wife posing as you folk, posting on this the forum when I am no not looking!!!

P.S. If it is you darling, what is for dinner tonight?:cb

Jack
24-03-2012, 09:27 AM

Ha ha. If the same old questions keep on being asked its no surprise the same old answers are the response. Just maybe the board have and continue to be honest as they can be with us.

Do you not want Hibs to have the ambitions of cups and European football (attained through decent league placings each season)?

The failure has been on selecting managers, who for the most part came and went with the blessing of most of the support. The likes of CC came highly recommended by some very influential figures in the English game.

It been a crap few years but I doubt if any of us had been on the board things would have been any different.

hibbymac
24-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Now to deal to those whining about the responses given.:greengrin:greengrin

If the board had announced an ambitions plan to sign Messi, coupled with a billion pound investment over the next three years you would still be whining.

I can imagine the complaints:

-It's not the hibs way
-What about our own talent
-Do we think we can just buy success
-We are going to need a bigger stadium

I hear so many people whining and complaining all the time, I have half a mind that it is actually my wife posing as you folk, posting on this the forum when I am no not looking!!!

P.S. If it is you darling, what is for dinner tonight?:cb

So are you complaining, or just whining about people whining and complaining. :confused:

NAE NOOKIE
24-03-2012, 09:57 AM
What do folk want.

The club were asked the questions and IMO gave the answers they could without giving too much away, coz as somebody else said on here others are watching who dont have Hibs best interests at heart.

The only question that was slightly dodged was the Farmer one. I do often wonder ( and have said on here many times ) just how hard STF and Hibs are trying to find a new owner. The answer talked about "investment in the club" but I think the question was more about new owners.

I still find it hard to believe that in over 20 years of ownership the man who "doesnt want to own a football club" has been unable to find a new man or consortium to take the club off his hands, especially with the contacts he must have in business and socially.

We now have a stadium and other facilities which would put many much bigger clubs in the UK and Europe to shame. Allied to the fact that at our best it is not unreasonable to hope that our home crowds could be up at the 14,000 mark it just seems strange that there has been not even a romour of interest from another party in all that time.

Just sayin' like ! :hmmm:

spike220
24-03-2012, 10:32 AM
So are you complaining, or just whining about people whining and complaining. :confused:

I am whining about people whining and complaining:cb:cb:cb

IWasThere2016
24-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Wonder what 'top secret plans' we have? The club says it is 'open' and there's 'nothing to hide' ..

The plans appear to more a wing and a prayer IMHO otherwise we'd be 'expanding the fanbase' before building the new stand not building the stand and watching the crowds dwindle. I'm no sure if our board know if the horse goes before or after the cart :greengrin

Pretty Boy
24-03-2012, 03:03 PM
No problems with the answers as such, pretty much as expected as they are similar to what we hear at the Agm every year and the replies people get when they contact the board directly.

One thing I would question is the role David Woodison plays. Going by those answers he seems.very involved in scouting and player recruitment with, I think its fair to say, limited success. Has anyone actually got to the bottom of his background or why he is so highly regarded by the club in such an important role?

IWasThere2016
24-03-2012, 03:10 PM
No problems with the answers as such, pretty much as expected as they are similar to what we hear at the Agm every year and the replies people get when they contact the board directly.

One thing I would question is the role David Woodison plays. Going by those answers he seems.very involved in scouting and player recruitment with, I think its fair to say, limited success. Has anyone actually got to the bottom of his background or why he is so highly regarded by the club in such an important role?

The high regard is unique to the club as outside it is very different ..

Beefster
24-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I'll wait for the remaining answers before judging whether it's the usual spin or a real attempt to engage the support.

The whole 'no experienced chief scout but an inexperienced scouting coordinator' situation is very puzzling and yet to be adequately explained by the club though.

--------
24-03-2012, 05:58 PM
So this tells us they have a strategy, they've said that before. Whatever they have been doing hasnae been working. They have failed miserably for years tae do this, resulting in declining attendances. Disnae say what, if anything they are going tae do tae change things as they clearly havnae been working.

:agree:

They've been making the same mistakes for the past 5 years at least.

They're incapable of learning from those mistakes.

They change the manager, the players, the coaching staff, but they never ask themselves whether the root of the problem lies with THEM - the board, the CEO, and the owner.

They issue statements of intent like the one at the top of this thread, but it means the square root of absolutely nothing because the bottom line is that no one at the top of the club really cares about Hibs as a football team - to Farmer it's an institution, to Petrie it's a set of accounts books and a bundle of shares.

I have no idea what the club represents to the rest of the board but as far as I can see, not one of the whole boiling not Farmer, not Petrie, not Lindsay, not any of them cares enough about the club to get things right.

Useless, the lot of them.

PaulSmith
24-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Q. Do Hibernian have a policy of not spending 'fees' on youth players from other clubs?

A. There is no such policy but the regulations within Scotland on Development Contribution now ensure that clubs are compensated well in the event that a young player moves between clubs. This has certainly reduced activity in this area throughout the country. We responded to this several years ago and we placed more resource and greater emphasis on talent identification at younger age groups to allow us to develop our own talent.

Well this part is not factually correct, very dismissive in saying that it has reduced in Scotland when hearts continue to buy players from other SFL clubs (2 from Hamilton ) and Celtic ready to buy from another SFL club.
Basically unless we get in players at 10/11 then we miss out which is incredible IMO.
'compensated well' what does this mean, your talking about a 4 figure sum in most cases.

1875 NO 1
24-03-2012, 08:19 PM

Well this part is not factually correct, very dismissive in saying that it has reduced in Scotland when hearts continue to buy players from other SFL clubs (2 from Hamilton ) and Celtic ready to buy from another SFL club.
Basically unless we get in players at 10/11 then we miss out which is incredible IMO.
'compensated well' what does this mean, your talking about a 4 figure sum in most cases.

Ask people that work in the youths and you'll find out the answer from the board is total BS.

PaulSmith
24-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Ask people that work in the youths and you'll find out the answer from the board is total BS.

Perhaps it's the picture that they are being told though, this will come across as another dig at SL but he wouldn't know Hutchison Vale from Port Vale.
I would think that Bill Hendry is tasked to provide updates direct to SL.
Not sure if this fills anyone with confidence or fear

Perspective
25-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Didn't really expect much more from the board. They've never been particularly transparent.

Hibs are one of the few clubs that won't pay for young players. Smaller clubs than us - operating with far lower turnovers - manage to do it. It leaves us operating in a tiny talent pool, relying heavily on chance development. Don't doubt the Academy guys do a good job but I think they operate with both hands tied behind their back. So their answer on that issue doesn't cut it for me given, as another poster pointed out, the likes of Hamilton and Falkirk pay for players. Far cheaper to invest and develop these guys than fritter away endless amounts on established first-team types (on David Woodison's recommendation) who inevitably show up as hopeless and require expensive pay-offs.

And their comment on the role of Director of Football is strange too. Scott Lindsay is effectively the Director of Football. They can refer to his position however they want.

Don't like to be so negative but I'm so deflated at the moment. I think we're stuck in a downward spiral - hampered by arrogance and a lack of expertise amongst the hierarchy to get us out. Don't include Pat Fenlon in that as he's impressed me thus far.

Kato
25-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Then the questions need to be asked in a better, non-avoidable way.

I'd ask them...

Given the stated strategy do you think you have deserved any of the money you have taken out of the club in the last five years?

...with the supplementary question...

Is it not now then, time to do the decent thing?

These guys are jokers, bland corporate speak answers to the fans who pay their salaries. Not even good, imaginative corporate speak answers - bland insulting rubbish. I've never written or spoken to any of them but I have had emails passed on to me from fans who have and read stuff on here from people wanting answers as to what afflicts our club and it's the same side-ways double speak every time. Weak-kneed spreadsheet nudgers the lot of them. They aren't good enough at the given task and should be out the door asap, if not before.

IWasThere2016
25-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Well said Doddie and Kato - this board will not reverse the downward spiral we are on. They have put us here, and they are to blame. Gross mis-management. Complete amateurs IMHO.

Kato
25-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Conplete amateurs IMHO.

Con - I agree with :wink:

Amateurs? No. Amateurs do something because they love doing it and are capable of putting a huge amount of time and effort into the task as they are compelled to do so.

These guys are chancers, pure and simple. Chiseling money out of our club.

Out asap, please.

TornadoHibby
25-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Well said Doddie and Kato - this board will not reverse the downward spiral we are on. They have put us here, and they are to blame. Gross mis-management. Conplete amateurs IMHO.

If relegation is our 'prize' this season, I believe that the Board will be shocked by the number of previously loyal and long standing ST holders who will revert to PATG and only attend those matches which they feel might give 'value for money'!! :agree: