PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup win by default

Monts
22-03-2012, 12:53 PM
I was just considering the possibilities of reaching the final when a thought popped into my head.

What would happen if hearts won their semi final, and then subsequently went bust before the final? Would the winner of the other semi (hopefully us) win the competition by default? Or would, as the SFA would love to do, celtic be reinstated?

Also, would that be the best way to win the cup? With hearts going bust directly breaking the hex? Or would you rather win it 'fair and square'?

McD
22-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I was just considering the possibilities of reaching the final when a thought popped into my head.

What would happen if hearts won their semi final, and then subsequently went bust before the final? Would the winner of the other semi (hopefully us) win the competition by default? Or would, as the SFA would love to do, celtic be reinstated?

Also, would that be the best way to win the cup? With hearts going bust directly breaking the hex? Or would you rather win it 'fair and square'?

Usually when 1 team is unable to complete a cup fixture (or wins and is then subsequently found to have broken the rules) the opposition (us in your example) would be awarded the match.

However, in this case, I'd imagine Celtic would be re-instated and probably given a goal of a head start.

Monts
22-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Usually when 1 team is unable to complete a cup fixture (or wins and is then subsequently found to have broken the rules) the opposition (us in your example) would be awarded the match.

However, in this case, I'd imagine Celtic would be re-instated and probably given a goal of a head start.

Would you be happy thats how we broke the curse?

surreyhibbie
22-03-2012, 04:03 PM

probably just award them the cup to make up for the mental anguish their wonderful supporters suffered as a result of losing...

Scouse Hibee
22-03-2012, 04:20 PM

If that happend we still would have not won the cup since 1902, merely been awarded it on a technicality which I personally wouldn't recognise as a cup success.

22-03-2012, 04:42 PM

As much as I would love to win it, if we did it this way I think I would feel a bit hollow tbh. All we would ever hear is "aww you only won it because hearts went bust" etc etc. I want to win it where nobody can dispute what we achieved and win it like everybody else in the past has won it, buy winning football games and not through the drop out of other clubs.

Having said that though, beggers cant be choosers eh :greengrin!

Hibercelona
22-03-2012, 04:44 PM
I'd rather we pumped them on the day and then they go bust the next. :agree:

I don't think i'd ever be so reeking one day after the other in my life.

Seveno
22-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Haven't you heard ? Celtic won the 2012 Scottish Cup.

They were criminally robbed of the treble last Sunday by Willie Collum. Quite shameful really, I felt for the Ginger Whinger. :na na:

Monts
22-03-2012, 08:12 PM
If that happend we still would have not won the cup since 1902, merely been awarded it on a technicality which I personally wouldn't recognise as a cup success.

So you'd rather we take our chances against celtic?

Scouse Hibee
22-03-2012, 09:31 PM
So you'd rather we take our chances against celtic?

Celtic! No why should a club be permitted back into a competition they've been fairly knocked out of? If there's only one team left in the final I'd rather the cup wasn't won at all and the record books recorded no winner.

Hibercelona
23-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Celtic! No why should a club be permitted back into a competition they've been fairly knocked out of? If there's only one team left in the final I'd rather the cup wasn't won at all and the record books recorded no winner.

So if we make it to the finals and Hearts go bust, we shouldn't have the right to win it?

A bit unfair if you ask me. It wouldn't be our fault if their bubble finally burst. :confused:

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2012, 04:45 PM
So if we make it to the finals and Hearts go bust, we shouldn't have the right to win it?

A bit unfair if you ask me. It wouldn't be our fault if their bubble finally burst. :confused:

Well I certainly don't think a club already knocked out should have the right to be reinstated and win it do you?

Therefore if we were awarded it by default it would be meaningless was my point.

Anyway it's all hyperthetical we're gonna beat Celtic in the final. :greengrin

Sean1875
23-03-2012, 05:20 PM
As much as I would love to win it, if we did it this way I think I would feel a bit hollow tbh. All we would ever hear is "aww you only won it because hearts went bust" etc etc. I want to win it where nobody can dispute what we achieved and win it like everybody else in the past has won it, buy winning football games and not through the drop out of other clubs.

Having said that though, beggers cant be choosers eh :greengrin!
lets not go down the Italian route, teams have gotten into trouble for that before :greengrin

Monts
23-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Well I certainly don't think a club already knocked out should have the right to be reinstated and win it do you?

Therefore if we were awarded it by default it would be meaningless was my point.

Anyway it's all hyperthetical we're gonna beat Celtic in the final. :greengrin

The old cliche is you can only beat the team in front of you.

If we beat every opponent we are given, then why shouldnt we deserve the cup?

jonty
23-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Do carlsberg do sporting weekends? :greengrin

It'd be a bit like winning a game on pens. Not ideal, but a win is a win.

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2012, 10:46 PM
The old cliche is you can only beat the team in front of you.

If we beat every opponent we are given, then why shouldnt we deserve the cup?

Never said we wouldn't deserve it, but you know as well as I do that it would be devalued and still the monkey of not "winning" it would be there.