PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Clubs in Europe

PatHead
21-03-2012, 02:50 PM
BBC reporting that Uefa have said Welsh Clubs can qualify for Europe through league position, league cup win or FA Cup win. Celtic and Rangers will now be wetting themselves at the prospect of getting into England now.

They are not allowed to get in through Welsh Cup

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17459332

LancashireHibby
21-03-2012, 02:53 PM
I think that depends on how much importance UEFA place on the historical position of the 'exile' clubs in the English league system, rather than being 'Europa tourists' so to speak. That said, the benefit in terms of European qualification for the Ugly Sisters via England is that they would avoid as many qualifying rounds, but even then I'm sure even their clueless masses can't think they'll immediately be stuck straight in the EPL and challenging for the title?

WindyMiller
21-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Chelsea and Liverpool are unlikely to make the Champs league this year, why would the OF expect to make it?

PatHead
21-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Chelsea and Liverpool are unlikely to make the Champs league this year, why would the OF expect to make it?

Because they are World famous clubs and one comes from the big house, will never die and is the peepil whilst everyone cheats the other one especially the ref last Sunday and nothing is their fault

WindyMiller
21-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Because they are World famous clubs and one comes from the big house, will never die and is the peepil whilst everyone cheats the other one especially the ref last Sunday and nothing is their fault

Aye yer right.

Sorry

Hibercelona
21-03-2012, 04:05 PM

You forgot "Greatest fans in the world" and "We don't do walking away".

I reckon a few seasons in the EPL of not getting decisions their way on the pitch and not having control over all the major decisions in the league, their "greatest" and "loyal" fan bases would soon drop over time.

They'll be playing for nothing every season.

Moody Mulder
21-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Jeez for the second time in a few days they've been told to GTF, no one here wants them, the English certainly don't want them (especially Celtic) , they should, both **** off to the Irish Leagues

Scudamore's thoughts ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2117699/Rangers-Celtic-told-Premier-League-go.html

SteveHFC
21-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Jeez for the second time in a few days they've been told to GTF, no one here wants them, the English certainly don't want them (especially Celtic) , they should, both **** off to the Irish Leagues

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2117699/Rangers-Celtic-told-Premier-League-go.html

Rangers should go to the Northern Ireland Premier League and Celtic to the League of Ireland :agree:

ballengeich
21-03-2012, 04:27 PM

and we've learned today how reliable the Mail is.

Hibercelona
21-03-2012, 05:01 PM
and we've learned today how reliable the Mail is.

TBF, it was reliable the time before...... and the time before that as well. :wink:

The_Todd
21-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't know how many times Rangers and Celtic need to be told the Welsh clubs have naff all to do with the Old Firm. The situations couldn't be any more different.

Phil D. Rolls
21-03-2012, 06:30 PM
BBC reporting that Uefa have said Welsh Clubs can qualify for Europe through league position, league cup win or FA Cup win. Celtic and Rangers will now be wetting themselves at the prospect of getting into England now.

They are not allowed to get in through Welsh Cup

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17459332

I might be wrong, but I think Shrewsbury Town once got into Europe by this route.

jgl07
22-03-2012, 12:12 AM
I might be wrong, but I think Shrewsbury Town once got into Europe by this route.

I don't think that ever happened. Non Welsh Clubs were able to enter the Welsh Cup and the likes of Shrewsbury Town, Wellington Town, Hereford United, Crewe Alexadra, Oswestry Town, etc won the Cup. They were never allowed to progress to European competition. Cardiff, Swansea, Wexham, Newport County and Merthyr dominated the Welsh entries.

Some dodgy Welsh teams qualified for the Cup Winners Cup over the years.

Bangor City, playing in the Cheshire League(?), won the Welsh Cup in 1962 and took Napoli to a play off in the Cup Winners Cup. They won 2-0 at home and lost 1-3 away. That was before the away goals rule. Theylost 2-1 at Highbury.

Borough United, a village team from Llandudno Junction playing in the Welsh League North won the Welsh Cup in 1963 and progressed through their first round fixture against Silema Wanderers of Malta in the Cup Winners Cup before going out 4-0 on aggregate to Slovan Bratislava.

Gettin' Auld
22-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Some dodgy Welsh teams qualified for the Cup Winners Cup over the years.

Bangor City, playing in the Cheshire League(?), won the Welsh Cup in 1962 and took Napoli to a play off in the Cup Winners Cup. They won 2-0 at home and lost 1-3 away. That was before the away goals rule. Theylost 2-1 at Highbury.

Borough United, a village team from Llandudno Junction playing in the Welsh League North won the Welsh Cup in 1963 and progressed through their first round fixture against Silema Wanderers of Malta in the Cup Winners Cup before going out 4-0 on aggregate to Slovan Bratislava.

I seem to remember celtic being drawn against one or two wee Welsh teams in europe during the 90's, dunno if it was in the Cup Winners Cup though?

Bristolhibby
22-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Didn't Motherwell play Llanelli a couple of seasons ago?

J

LancashireHibby
22-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Don't forget that the League of Wales wasn't formed until the mid 90's, so it was common for Bangor, Caernarfon etc to play in the English non leagues and is why Colwyn Bay remain there. Airbuk UK and TNS are both (just about) English based and play in the Welsh leagues though. Quite an interesting read about the trials and tribulations of the formation of the LoW and the exile clubs etc.

Didn't Motherwell play Llanelli a couple of seasons ago?

J
Yes they did, at Parc y Scarlets if memory serves me right.