PDA

View Full Version : Players you never saw play

Monts
20-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Was just thinking about players who have been and gone.

Who would you have loved to have seen play, but never got a chance because you were either unable to go, they werent in this country, or they were before your time.

For me it is Joe Baker. I dont know a lot about him but everything I do know tells me he was something special.

A very close second is Gordon Smith. Obviously the whole famous 5 were worth seeing, but Smith is a legend in his own right, having won the league with 3 clubs and never played for the old firm.

Those were the days!

Who would you have liked to have seen? It doesnt have to be a hibs player. Any player you wish you had seen.

Steven_Hibs
20-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Alan O'brien, was in New Zealand at the time, wish I could have seen him play :agree:

KeithTheHibby
20-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Would love to have seen the famous five play along with witnesssing Joe Baker.

The team from the early 70's too for that matter.

Only JC, le God and Russell stand out for me in the last 20 years as exceptional talents who wore the green and white.

Billy Whizz
20-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Johan Cruyff for me. What a fantastic player he was in a great Dutch side

PatHead
20-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Rennie, Gray, Glen, Breslin, Harrower, Robertson, McCall, McGeehan, Divers, Callaghan and Atherton. Well for at least one game! :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:ht tp://www.londonhearts.com/century/april261902.htm

(Don't ask me why this is on a Hearts site)

PatHead
20-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Johan Cruyff for me. What a fantastic player he was in a great Dutch side

Did he play for Holland U23s at Easter Road as an overage player? (Think Joe Jordan played for Scotland but stand to be corrected)

Billy Whizz
20-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Did he play for Holland U23s at Easter Road as an overage player? (Think Joe Jordan played for Scotland but stand to be corrected)

Don't know, but I don't think I was there

Squealing pig
20-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Jimmy o rouke, pat Stanton, famous five and andy goram

West Upper
20-03-2012, 02:35 PM
The Famous Five

Mark79
20-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Brian Kerr........all unseen football he played.

SteveHFC
20-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Diego Maradona :agree:

Billy Whizz
20-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Diego Maradona :agree:

Saw him play against Scotland in a friendly at Hampden in I think a 4-0 win for Argentina. I think he was just young then

hibee92
20-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Idolised Zidane and Ronaldo (Brazilian one) growing up (saying that I'm only 19) but never got to see them.

Scouse Hibee
20-03-2012, 03:32 PM
TBH no-one individually, a fair few teams I would have liked to have seen live though! The Brazil team of 82 is one of them.

easty
20-03-2012, 03:36 PM
would have liked to see George Best playing for Hibs.

--------
20-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Alan O'brien, was in New Zealand at the time, wish I could have seen him play :agree:

I wish you could have seen him play, too, mate.

Then he would have been far away in new Zealand in stead of masquerading as a footballer at Easter Road.

I can't say there's any single player I'd like to have seen but didn't, but I'd love to be able to time-travel back to 1928 to see the Wembley Wizards hammer England 5-1.

Harkness; Nelson and Law; Gibson, Bradshaw and McMullin; Jackson, Dunn, Gallacher, James, and Morton. Jimmy Dunn was a Hibee, too.

Eleven Scots in that side. :cb

TornadoHibby
20-03-2012, 03:49 PM
would have liked to see George Best playing for Hibs.

Sentimentally oustanding but in football terms, bearing in mind that he was well past his best playing days and usually pissed on a Saturday afternoon, it was largely an over-rated experience IIRC! :wink:

Greentinted
20-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Would have loved to have witnessed a new-year derby featuring our five and their three.

But mustn't grumble, of all the greats who have played during my football following time on the planet, the only one I missed out on seeing in the flesh was Maradona.

Andy74
20-03-2012, 04:12 PM
The obvious ones are the Famous Five, The Tornadoes and Joe Baker.

I know periods are very different and difficult to compare but I often wonder about the mystical status of these guys and who they actually could be compared to in the modern game in terms of ability and style.

Thinking of it the other way round the only players I really feel very lucky to have seen play for Hibs are Sauzee, Latapy, Collins, Archibald and Goram.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Famous five - what a heritage we have. Keep your records Jambos well keep the famous five.

Im reading Gordon Smiths biography - talk about Hibs class would have loved to see him play. Great that his son Tony was able to document his life. Should be compulsory reading for all Hibees down in the dumps with the cabbage.
next up Lawrie Reillys book.

Ray_
20-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Famous five - what a heritage we have. Keep your records Jambos well keep the famous five.

Im reading Gordon Smiths biography - talk about Hibs class would have loved to see him play. Great that his son Tony was able to document his life. Should be compulsory reading for all Hibees down in the dumps with the cabbage.
next up Lawrie Reillys book.

Famous Five & Joe Baker before he departed for Italy.

I saw JB when he returned & the hero worship from the stands, his white boots, his goal & Pat Stanton's fabulous strike against Bobby Clark, made his second coming one of the most memorable games I have ever seen at ER. Him getting sent off the following week in a 1-3 defeat at St Midden brought things back to earth with a thud, injuries and time had taken there toll & ET arrived the following season & with Alan Gordon soon on the way and that was that.

Although he played a number of times during his return, I really can't claim to have ever saw the real Joe Baker.

Just to add, Bertie Auld, the Celtic legend, joined Hibs a few months after JB's return, in the same close season that ET arrived. BA's début was memorable in a different way, with Hibs playing Nobby Stiles's Boro pre season & both their hard man images, the publicity for the game was all about the match up of Auld & Stiles. Early in the game, Stiles went in, over-the-top, on Auld, BA read it, avoided the impact and got his own in and Stiles was carried off.

With Cropley & McEwan doing so well on the left, BA never done much else in a Hibs strip, he scored the only goal at home in a match against Ayr Utd, when he headed in from the edge of the box, that was memorable because I hadn't known a goal from a header so far out before that, but that was about it.

A week before the 1972 cup final, Hibs were at Ibrox & both BA & JB played, along with other fringe players, Hibs won 2-1 and both moved on after the cup final.

Eyrie
20-03-2012, 07:51 PM
They're popular choices for a very good reason - the Famous Five with Joe Baker.

ginger_rice
20-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Would have to be the Famous Five for me too.

Although Joe Baker before he went to Italy too would have been good, was lucky enough to see him when he came back to ER.

Would have like to have seen my Grandad play for Kings Park in the 1920's also.

Speedy
20-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Brian Kerr........all unseen football he played.

I knew someone would beat me to it.

Baker followed by famous five for me.

vanNISHtelroy
20-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Tommy Burns in the famous blue and white!

lyonhibs
20-03-2012, 10:46 PM
If we assume that any Hibs fan worth his/her salt would have The Famous Five team and Turnbull's Tornadoes at the top of his/her list, then in terms of players I've never seen play live, it's got to be Zidane, Bergkamp, The Dutch team of the mid-70's, the 1970 Brazil team, the mid 80's French team with Tigana, Platinin, Fernandez et al and the real Ronaldo, in that order.

Speedy
20-03-2012, 11:46 PM
If we assume that any Hibs fan worth his/her salt would have The Famous Five team and Turnbull's Tornadoes at the top of his/her list, then in terms of players I've never seen play live, it's got to be Zidane, Bergkamp, The Dutch team of the mid-70's, the 1970 Brazil team, the mid 80's French team with Tigana, Platinin, Fernandez et al and the real Ronaldo, in that order.

I was lucky enough to see Zidane at Hampden.

I've never seen Messi live, might have a chance one day.

It would've been good to see Pele.

neilmartinrocks
21-03-2012, 12:04 AM
odly enough, considering my user name, Neil Martin.:confused::greengrin