PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to avoid going to Hibs games

El Gubbz
19-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Other than money/work commitments/the fact that we are pretty guff the now, why do Hibs fans not go to games?

Just a question after the poor turnout at yesterdays Edinburgh derby but I would like to know why.

Unfortunately at the moment I am addicted to the drug that is Hibernian (you know that drug, the one with no "highs") but can see reasons why fans no longer enjoy their match day experience, one for example being other Hibs fans that may do your head in. At yesterdays game there was a couple of Fan**s that kept kicking my mate in the back and seemed a complete k of a human. Or another example could be police/stewards/anyone else making you feel like second class citizens. Had an incident with a policeman yesterday who was asking us if we were proud of the image we where creating for church goers walking to church as we where drinking a pint just outside the Murrayfield hotel.

Anyway, over to you. Why do you no longer attend Easter Road/Tynie/Any game you used to go to regardless?

frazeHFC
19-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Other than money/work commitments/the fact that we are pretty guff the now, why do Hibs fans not go to games?

Just a question after the poor turnout at yesterdays Edinburgh derby but I would like to know why.

Unfortunately at the moment I am addicted to the drug that is Hibernian (you know that drug, the one with no "highs") but can see reasons why fans no longer enjoy their match day experience, one for example being other Hibs fans that may do your head in. At yesterdays game there was a couple of Fan**s that kept kicking my mate in the back and seemed a complete of a human. Or another example could be police/stewards/anyone else making you feel like second class citizens. Had an incident with a policeman yesterday who was asking us if we were proud of the image we where creating for church goers walking to church as we where drinking a pint just outside the Murrayfield hotel.

Anyway, over to you. Why do you no longer attend Easter Road/Tynie/Any game you used to go to regardless?

Seriously? :hilarious

Yesterday for no reason i saw someone get launched onto a police van by a police officer and another tripped up. This was because they had a tannoy on the van saying "stay off the road" when we were trying to cross it.

That's not a reason in this thread, i will keep going to games, but the police and stewards are utterly useless imo.

Nando™
19-03-2012, 10:39 PM
We (like every club) have our fair share of gloryhunters. "Being *****" will be the true reason for the majority of the deserters I would think.

matty_f
19-03-2012, 10:45 PM
We (like every club) have our fair share of gloryhunters. "Being *****" will be the true reason for the majority of the deserters I would think.
:agree:

Pretty Boy
19-03-2012, 10:46 PM
I pick and choose my games a lot more for several reasons now.

Work is the main one, I now work a lot of weekends so that interferes a lot.

I also like my golf and if i can't get a morning time in a medal then I'll usually take an afternoon one and give ER a miss.

Lack of enjoyment. The footballs gash, none of my.mates want to go anymore so the whole experience is a bit of a damp squib.

I've actually been to more games this season than the last couple of years and I've spent a small fortune on away days . However its still well down on 3/4 year ago when i was there every week and definitely changed days from 6/7 year ago when I.made a 240 mile round trip from Aberdeen every second week.

Hibbyradge
19-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Pish poor football. Lack of basic skills. Bigotry. Hibs fans abusing our players.

Hibercelona
20-03-2012, 12:15 AM

Not turning up for games because your team has consistantly been well below par for many years doesn't make you a glory hunter.

A glory hunter is somebody that only follows clubs that consistantly win silverware. Such as BIG teams like Rangers, Celtic and Hearts.

None of our fans can be glory hunters...... because, we never achieve any real glory anyway.

(P.S i'm taking the p!sh with Hearts)

TheMentalHibees
20-03-2012, 12:31 AM
The atmosphere at ER changed, it became less and less enjoyable to go. It seemed like some people only attended to hurl abuse at the players. One game last season, the guy in front of me actually refused to get up and celebrate a goal, instead sitting arms folded waiting for the game to restart. This is the very same person that before and after our goal focused most of his attention on informing our defence how pish it was and giving Petrie advice on what he should do/where he should go. Considering some people have families, it's hardly an environment you want to introduce a young child to is it? I've found myself going to more away games, there's more bums on seats in our end and the atmosphere is generally better.

Nando™
20-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Not turning up for games because your team has consistantly been well below par for many years doesn't make you a glory hunter.

A glory hunter is somebody that only follows clubs that consistantly win silverware. Such as BIG teams like Rangers, Celtic and Hearts.

None of our fans can be glory hunters...... because, we never achieve any real glory anyway.

(P.S i'm taking the p!sh with Hearts)

Well 'gloryhunter' could be used a little more widely than just people who turn up for Cup Finals and title-winning games. I would say it also applies to folk who will only turn up if their team is good (in each team's respective context), so in our case I'd say 'good' is challenging for Europe and getting to at least the semi-final of at least one of the cups. It may not technically be glory, but it's some form of it.

Maybe 'fairweather' would have been a more appropriate word, since gloryhunter is indeed a bit off.

Anyway, sick of turning up for 30 years and being *****? Fair dos. Protesting against a board-level problem? Sound. Some folk will have reasons other than us just being ***** for not turning up, but if it's the ONLY reason, then it's total fairweathery. If that's even a word.

degenerated
20-03-2012, 04:59 AM

Unfortunately at the moment I am addicted to the drug that is Hibernian (you know that drug, the one with no "highs") but can see reasons why fans no longer enjoy their match day experience, one for example being other Hibs fans that may do your head in. At yesterdays game there was a couple of Fan**s that kept kicking my mate in the back and seemed a complete of a human. Or another example could be police/stewards/anyone else making you feel like second class citizens. Had an incident with a policeman yesterday who was asking us if we were proud of the image we where creating for church goers walking to church as we where drinking a pint just outside the Murrayfield hotel.

I've been at all our home games this season and a lot more away ones than I usually go to as well. But 12 o'clock on a Sunday is an uncivilised time to be having a football match, never mind a derby. So for that reason I was out.

As an aside I really hate the phrase "matchday experience" it's Fitba. That's the sort of guff used by the marketing types that are killing the game IMHO

Gatecrasher
20-03-2012, 05:48 AM
:agree: You just need to look at the semi final thread with loads of folk worried about tickets despite hardly scratching 10,000 all season

lyonhibs
20-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Distance is the big one for me (obviously). If I was in - or indeed anywhere near - Edinburgh, I'd be at Easter Road most weeks, and take in a fair few away games as well.

I think people can tolerate players and teams who aren't really very good, but give 100% most of the time. It's this mix of incompetence and appearing to not give a f*** (apart from in "soundbite" form, usually before a derby) that drives fans away IMO.

I believe Fenlon - and his signings - are addressing this, but, (playing Devil's Advocate here, as the following wouldn't apply to me if only I didn't live about 400-odd miles away) in these economic times, if people feel players aren't at least going to go some way to matching - on the pitch - the effort Hibs fans put in to attend in the stands, why should people spend their shrinking disposable income on something that - more often than not - gives them f*** all in return.

And yes, as a "Club Member", I'll be there at the semi-final and final if we get there :greengrin :fishin:

marinello59
20-03-2012, 06:55 AM
I've been at all our home games this season and a lot more away ones than I usually go to as well. But 12 o'clock on a Sunday is an uncivilised time to be having a football match, never mind a derby. So for that reason I was out.

As an aside I really hate the phrase "matchday experience" it's Fitba. That's the sort of guff used by the marketing types that are killing the game IMHO

I can't stand that either.

Keith_M
20-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Reasons to avoid going to Hibs games

According to Google Maps, it's a 2,156 Mile round trip from ma hoos to ER --- 18 hours and 8 minutes drive in each direction (if I take no breaks).

I know, p*sh excuse.

I'll be at the Cup Final though, part-timer-glory-hunting-barsteward that I am :wink:

Mikeystewart
20-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Skint
Utterly deprerssing football
Compounded by lack of atmousphere
Complete lack of quality on the pitch
Yes we are in a relegation battle but the tactics are making us boring to watch (another product of the quality on show)
More important things I can spend my free time doing uni work/ real work etc , so i can actually get a job to afford to go see this pish.
Feels like the club is on the wind up (i.e season ticket price freeze, they said that in 2007 and we have a MUCH better team back then)

I'll still go to the remaining home games but it will be with some effort.

lucky
20-03-2012, 07:17 AM
A lot of fans have fallen out of love with Hibs and Scottish football. I've not missed a home game this season and been away lots but apart from the pars away last time I cant think of a time when the support actually supported the team. The football has been awful, the treatment from the board, prices, KO times, tv coverage all contribute. But for me going to watch Hibs is no longer enjoyable. It's meant to be a hobby not a chore. As fans who pick and choose, that's there choice. The attitude of uber fans is poor on this. It's about choices.

Mikeystewart
20-03-2012, 07:18 AM

the jambos are beating us at that too!! :greengrin:duck:

Stonewall
20-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Have a season ticket but haven't been to many games this season or last.

1. Not enjoyable.
2. Terrible standard of football.
3. Cost (eg Derby tickets)
4. Boneheaded fellow "supporters" abusing the team/ manager/ board.
5. Stupid kick off times.
6. Young familly.

Speedy
20-03-2012, 07:49 AM
After work, bowling and exams I don't have much time left.

I go to the odd game but to be honest I don't enjoy it enough to justify putting in the time and money on a regular basis.

I'd rather spend the money saving for a mortgage or going on holiday. And spend the time with my mates(most of whom aren't hibs fans).

RickyS
20-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Have a season ticket but haven't been to many games this season or last.

1. Not enjoyable.
2. Terrible standard of football.
3. Cost (eg Derby tickets)
4. Boneheaded fellow "supporters" abusing the team/ manager/ board.
5. Stupid kick off times.
6. Young familly.

all valid reasons, agree with most on the thread but if i'm honest i would forgive most of them if the standard of football was even average but watching us for the past two years is like having your hee haws in a vice. is it one game Feb 11 - Feb 12 we have won? and then you get the renewal letter in while we are still fighting relegation!

hibsbollah
20-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I fell out of love with football in general and the Hibs in particular in the 1980s, which is talked about as some kind of golden age by some. It depends what else is going on in your life at the time, but in general i still enjoy the easter road experience.

green&left
20-03-2012, 08:26 AM
For ages now the football for me is going out for a sesh, catching up with friends and family, a day out and something to do, pubs, bookies, train trips etc. I'll admit I could never do what alot of folk do and go straight to the game and straight home week in week out. It's the day out factor for me these days.

Holmesdale Hibs
20-03-2012, 05:28 PM
For me it's not living in Edinburgh. I always try to coincide trips home with Hibs games and will watch us regardless of who we're playing or how **** we are.

Having said that, I'm enjoying it a bit less these days and the ER experience has been going downhill for some time. IMO the shouting abuse at our own players is more of an issue than the team being ****.

For these reasons, and others outlined on the thread, the quality of the 'product' has gone down and, given prices have gone up and we're in a recession, the main reason is the value for money isn't what it used to be.

Nando™
20-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I hope the boo merchants are taking note that their booing is now not only sabotaging our own team's confidence, but also driving some of our own fans away.

DH1875
20-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Can't afford it, simple as that. Still get to as many games as I can but even at that, living in weegie land early kick off/ Sunday games are a pain in the ****.

edinburghhibee
20-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Question for all the posters on here who said they don't go because of fans abusing the hibs players, when you went to ER and you were sitting next to someone doing this did you ever confront them about it?

I have sat in the FF lower this season and there isn't a lot of abuse at the players from there that I notice. Even when Sparky gave the gesture to the boy sitting at the top of the tunnel, I heard what he said and it wasn't abuse at all, simply asking him not to hit the first man with his corner, which again to be honest you would expect a player at profesional level to do in their sleep.

I can see why the players are getting it tight, Hibs have been dire for near on 3 years now. Surely things have to come to a head and the players need to realise that the performances they are putting in week in week out is not good enough.

edinburghhibee
20-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Question for all the posters on here who said they don't go because of fans abusing the hibs players, when you went to ER and you were sitting next to someone doing this did you ever confront them about it?

I have sat in the FF lower this season and there isn't a lot of abuse at the players from there that I notice. Even when Sparky gave the gesture to the boy sitting at the top of the tunnel, I heard what he said and it wasn't abuse at all, simply asking him not to hit the first man with his corner, which again to be honest you would expect a player at profesional level to do in their sleep.

I can see why the players are getting it tight, Hibs have been dire for near on 3 years now. Surely things have to come to a head and the players need to realise that the performances they are putting in week in week out is not good enough.

Stonewall
20-03-2012, 06:56 PM

My emotions over the last couple of years have fluctuated from massive frustration (frequently) to utter boredom (Falling asleep at the Aberdeen game).

I feel just as frustrated as anyone else I just don't see the point abusing your own players. Never seen it have a positive effect yet.

edinburghhibee
20-03-2012, 07:11 PM
My emotions over the last couple of years have fluctuated from massive frustration (frequently) to utter boredom (Falling asleep at the Aberdeen game).

I feel just as frustrated as anyone else I just don't see the point abusing your own players. Never seen it have a positive effect yet.

But what is the alternative, people show there frustrations by not turning up? And I am not saying I wasn't people to abuse players as in giving them abuse which it personal. But if someone plays badly in a run of games he needs to be told to get his head out his @rse in my opinion.

madabouthibs
20-03-2012, 07:37 PM
The cost is a big factor for me, I pick and choose games, usually 3 o'clock kick offs, but I usually make most of the Cat. A games.

The semi is a good example of what I think football should cost though, £20 for a father and child is ideal. If me and my lad could be at ER for £20 a game I'd make most home games to be honest. £12 to £17 for a 12 year old lad is pretty steep IMHO.
The constant abuse of our players during the "matchday experience" is really annoying likes! I once had two guys behind me in the FF abusing Nishy a few seasons back, about 3 minutes into the game FFS! :grr: I said something, as did a few others round about us, but it pretty much fell on deaf ears. :rolleyes:

However, the Ayr United game was completely different, I know we were winning and what have ya, but it seems to me that everyone went there with the sole intention of enjoying the "matchday experience". Made for a great atmosphere, and I think that directly affected the players on the day. :agree:

So in summary, bring the price of football down a bit, and don't go unless your intent on enjoying it! :aok:

Stonewall
21-03-2012, 06:01 AM
But what is the alternative, people show there frustrations by not turning up? And I am not saying I wasn't people to abuse players as in giving them abuse which it personal. But if someone plays badly in a run of games he needs to be told to get his head out his @rse in my opinion.

Well I kind of mutter under my breath and kick the back of the seat in front (it's usually empty obviously).

It's not the odd outburst I object to, but the systematic abuse that some people dish out. A wee story: When my son was 7 years old I took him and a friend to a Falkirk v's Hibs game at the Falkirk stadium. We were sat in front of a couple of guys who swore and cursed and dished out random abuse throughout the game. It was terrible. Neither boy enjoyed the experience and it is only now (4 years later) that my son has shown any interest in going back and his friend never I think never will.

KingFranck
21-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Next season will be the first in ages when i won't have a ST.
Main reason is the lack of quality on the pitch. This is the first time I've been angry about us selling players left right aand certain and ending up with run of the mill players and expecting us to accept that.

Ray_
21-03-2012, 05:40 PM

How do you define glory hunter in the Hibs Support? Is it because they come out once every hundred years or so for a Scottish Cup win or is it every sixty years for the league title or a bit of both?

Nando™
21-03-2012, 06:43 PM
How do you define glory hunter in the Hibs Support? Is it because they come out once every hundred years or so for a Scottish Cup win or is it every sixty years for the league title or a bit of both?

I explained in a following post that 'fairweather' would have been a more appropriate word to use, as 'gloryhunter' is not entirely accurate.

El Gubbz
27-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I explained in a following post that 'fairweather' would have been a more appropriate word to use, as 'gloryhunter' is not entirely accurate.
Any "fans" avoiding the Semi due to recent performances?

Speedy
27-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Any "fans" avoiding the Semi due to recent performances?

I'm sure there are many