PDA

View Full Version : Focus on relegation battle

The Sea-gull
19-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Derby has gone. Same old same old but in the grand scheme of things not that important just now. In the context of our season it is another defeat and poor performance but there has to be a realisation that this season we are losing most weeks because all bar one side in the league have come in to the season with better blend players, managers and spirit than us. It wasn't realistic to think a win was likely against a team who are about 20 points clear of us in the table.

Looking forward to the day out for semi and while overall I'm not that hopeful of a result given our ratio of good to bad performances and results this season even since Fenlon's reshaping of the squad in late January and the "up turn" in our fortunes since then, it will be difficult but not the biggest ask we have ever had to beat the Dons at Hampden.

Before then, three big weekends for us. We are still in a relegation battle by the way despite what some posters seem to think. I said when we drew with St Mirren in early March that it was two big points dropped. I was shot down and told that in was a point further a way from Dunfermline which it was but it was also the most winnable of our pre-split fixtures on a day when they had played and lost to the third best and form team in the country.

This weekend they have a home game v St Mirren. Hopefully the Saints are going into it on a high after winning their cup replay. Either way it doesn't really matter. I have feeling with a new manager in place, this is weekend the Pars win at home. We have Dundee United. The form team in Scotland against the team with the second worst home record in the league. The gap could well be one or two points by 5pm on Saturday.

Next weekend. We are away to ICT. Tough game but the Pars have United away so even tougher for them. Would guess that things will just about even themselves out over these two games and the gaps will still be one or two points.

Weekend after and final round of fixtures. Pars have Hearts who are terrible on their travels and we have Motherwell who are a much better side than us.

Going into the split it looks like there could only be a point or two in it so the last 5 games of the season could be massive.