PDA

View Full Version : They will NEVER own us

One Day Soon
18-03-2012, 11:31 PM
This won't be universally popular and I'll start by making clear that I'm not trying to be deliberately provocative to those concerned.

I have to say that no matter how galling today's defeat was, some of the self-pitying whining we are seeing on here today is very embarrassing for the posters concerned.

And why really are we seeing these posts? No doubt some of them are sad Yam impostors with nothing better to do - so far, so stupid. But some of them are Hibees who should know better.

After all we are having a relegation threatened season and they are top six while we definitely are not. In my view a lot of the outbursts on here today have taken place because people had deluded themselves that we have somehow moved from the dross of the Calderwood period to a new dawn in just a few games. People let themselves believe we would win today when the evidence of the season to date, the embryonic squad rebuilding Fenlon has started, the grip of the relegation threat, the long run of poor form and very few good results and the clear gulf in the quality of the respective playing squads all argued in terms of pure logic that the Yams would win today.

I would not like to be stuck in a trench with some of the posters whose views have been expressed today. In difficult, grim and challenging times what is needed is leadership, strength, reliability and comradeship (pardon the political term). What is not needed is hand wringing, 'it's not fair' outbursts, 'I can't take it anymore' outbursts and a LOT of postings that give succour to the enemy. Can you imagine how much further enjoyment has been given to our smug maroon neighbours by these posts?

By all means lets be critical about where we are, how we got here and where we need to go. Let's be direct about wanting an entirely different psychology about our club and a let's be uncompromising about the mental attitude and pride we want and expect our players to take into every game and especially derbies.

But let's NEVER talk about being owned by ANY other club. And certainly not by a club whose supporters clearly now have no ownership of their own manor, never mind ours.

Being a Hibernian supporter is a lifelong journey, not an individual match or series of matches. I remember being there when we were relegated by Dundee United. Just after the whistle all I could think was that I would rather be a Hibernian supporter winning nothing for eternity than be a supporter of any other club no matter what they won or how often. I felt terrible that day. But I didn't feel terrible when we won 6-2, or when we won the cup 5-1 or any time when I remember the privilege of watching Sauzee in a Hibs strip.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have no time for scarf throwing or its modern equivalent - angst posters. When we lose I suggest the medicine is taken with dignity and then the posts when they do come are also expressed with dignity.

We're all hurting, but let's take the next step in the journey and help each other do that instead of throwing ourselves on the ground and giving up hope. After all there are good, good Hibernian supporters who lived and died without seeing our club win the Scottish Cup. They didn't give up, nor should we.

For almost everyone who is a Hibernian supporter it is part of the expression of who you are, not some lifestyle choice. It is bittersweet, but it's in you. We only get one go at this so in the words of Tim Robbins in The Shawshank Redemption, the challenge is to 'get busy living or get busy dying'.

oldbutdim
18-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Well said that man.
:aok:

Viva_Palmeiras
18-03-2012, 11:37 PM
That owning thread was merely a ploy to launch a thousand yams.
Hopefully the admins will do the honours ;)

Pete
19-03-2012, 12:02 AM
This won't be universally popular and I'll start by making clear that I'm not trying to be deliberately provocative to those concerned.

I have to say that no matter how galling today's defeat was, some of the self-pitying whining we are seeing on here today is very embarrassing for the posters concerned.

And why really are we seeing these posts? No doubt some of them are sad Yam impostors with nothing better to do - so far, so stupid. But some of them are Hibees who should know better.

After all we are having a relegation threatened season and they are top six while we definitely are not. In my view a lot of the outbursts on here today have taken place because people had deluded themselves that we have somehow moved from the dross of the Calderwood period to a new dawn in just a few games. People let themselves believe we would win today when the evidence of the season to date, the embryonic squad rebuilding Fenlon has started, the grip of the relegation threat, the long run of poor form and very few good results and the clear gulf in the quality of the respective playing squads all argued in terms of pure logic that the Yams would win today.

I would not like to be stuck in a trench with some of the posters whose views have been expressed today. In difficult, grim and challenging times what is needed is leadership, strength, reliability and comradeship (pardon the political term). What is not needed is hand wringing, 'it's not fair' outbursts, 'I can't take it anymore' outbursts and a LOT of postings that give succour to the enemy. Can you imagine how much further enjoyment has been given to our smug maroon neighbours by these posts?

By all means lets be critical about where we are, how we got here and where we need to go. Let's be direct about wanting an entirely different psychology about our club and a let's be uncompromising about the mental attitude and pride we want and expect our players to take into every game and especially derbies.

But let's NEVER talk about being owned by ANY other club. And certainly not by a club whose supporters clearly now have no ownership of their own manor, never mind ours.

Being a Hibernian supporter is a lifelong journey, not an individual match or series of matches. I remember being there when we were relegated by Dundee United. Just after the whistle all I could think was that I would rather be a Hibernian supporter winning nothing for eternity than be a supporter of any other club no matter what they won or how often. I felt terrible that day. But I didn't feel terrible when we won 6-2, or when we won the cup 5-1 or any time when I remember the privilege of watching Sauzee in a Hibs strip.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have no time for scarf throwing or its modern equivalent - angst posters. When we lose I suggest the medicine is taken with dignity and then the posts when they do come are also expressed with dignity.

We're all hurting, but let's take the next step in the journey and help each other do that instead of throwing ourselves on the ground and giving up hope. After all there are good, good Hibernian supporters who lived and died without seeing our club win the Scottish Cup. They didn't give up, nor should we.

For almost everyone who is a Hibernian supporter it is part of the expression of who you are, not some lifestyle choice. It is bittersweet, but it's in you. We only get one go at this so in the words of Tim Robbins in The Shawshank Redemption, the challenge is to 'get busy living or get busy dying'.

That's exactly how I feel too. Excellent post.

Www1875hfc
19-03-2012, 06:10 AM

:top marks

Good Post.

matty_f
19-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Great post.

ManBearPig
19-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Totally agree and put better than I could've

drumatic44
19-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Totally , nail on head, nice one, allez les verts !!!!

spike220
19-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Aye, it was only a one goal match, everyone was looking for equaliser leaving only 2 back in defense when they scored the 2nd. You cant read anything into todays results. The jamabos will keep now stop crying in beer and pull yourself together. For those that want to wallow in self pity there is wee club Glasgow in its final death throws.

down the slope
19-03-2012, 07:12 AM
During the Turnbull era Hearts fans were sick of the sight of us believe me , we did not win every derby but we won more than them and back then i expected to beat them every time we played them. The quality of our team was superb back then in contrast to todays team . As i have said on another post they have a better quality of player than we have and we will only match them when the penny pinching stops and we spend money on bringing real quality to the squad instead of journeymen , just think we could have had Webster and Beattie , why not ? you better ask the men who know all about football who run our club !.

Lucius Apuleius
19-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Well said ODS. We will have a better team than them when they start living within their means. Our time will come. As I said on the match thread, nothing wrong with constructive criticism, in fact it should be welcomed. Destructive vitriol and abuse however should have no place on this message board. IMO

down the slope
19-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Not only will they never own us they will never own their stadium either ! just a wee thought , Hearts are playing both teams who are fighting for their lives to miss the drop yet they are unable to pay their players one of who influenced the game in a huge way yesterday , how can this be right ?.

hibsbollah
19-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Well said. Id rather you ended it by quoting Kipling rather than Morgan Freeman but thats just semantics :greengrin

HibbyRod
19-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Great Post One Day Soon! :aok:

Keep the faith......it will all end well. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
19-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Well said. Id rather you ended it by quoting Kipling rather than Morgan Freeman but thats just semantics :greengrin

The line was written by Stephen King, which is kind of appropriate given yesterday's horror show.

Hibernia&Alba
19-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Excellent sentiments, ODS. I can understand why the OP last night felt we are being 'owned' (i.e. totally dominated, not literally taken over) by Yambo. Yet again we were left hurting and he's sick of it, and many other posters said similar. It's a natural reaction to derby day despair, but we always recover and go into the next one expecting better. We'll always be superior, that's just the natural order. They can't pay their players on time and are a financial basket case. The tide will turn, and they know it. :aok:

Baldy Foghorn
19-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Superb opening post:top marks

One Day Soon
19-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Tim Robbins I thought.

Anyway Kipling is for when we actually win the cup, one day soon.

Phil D. Rolls
19-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Well said that man.
:aok:

I concur.:agree:

erin go bragh
19-03-2012, 07:48 PM

:top marksWell said .

ggtth

gramskiwood
19-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Great post! :not worth:pfgwa

GTMRossaK3
19-03-2012, 08:37 PM

Brilliant post! I've been a supporter for 57 years since I was 5 and will be one until I pass on into the great trophy room in the sky ( hope I won't still be waiting there for the Scottish Cup!!!!).

tamig
20-03-2012, 06:42 PM

Outstanding post bud. Agree with all of that. Supporting the Hibees is not about glory hunting. It's about following the team we all love. And when the precious moments come along, boy do we know how to enjoy them.

GGTTH