PDA

View Full Version : NHC Celtic in talks to move to League 1

joe breezy
18-03-2012, 10:37 PM
http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2012/03/18/celtic-in-secret-talks-about-switch-to-npower-league-one-in-england-102039-23793094/

I'd like Hibs to do this, but I'm being selfish, living in London, would love to see Hibs take on Charlton etc..

Then get into the Premiership and do the business as Swansea and Norwich are now

Mikey
18-03-2012, 10:41 PM
If one goes we should all go. A British league is the answer.

England don't need us though.

joe breezy
18-03-2012, 10:45 PM
They don't need us but some of them might fancy the lure of a club the size of Celtic, they'll soon change their mind though when their town is suddenly filled with thousands of pish stained jaickies pissing in the street, leaving a trail of Buckfast bottles and singing IRA songs

Cocaine&Caviar
18-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Nothing would please me more, Celtic GTF.

Hibs Class
18-03-2012, 10:48 PM

:agree: :pray:

SkintHibby
18-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Football the world over is being ruined completely because of money.

It's not the game I grew up loving over 40 years ago.

Jones28
18-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Excellent! GTF Celtic. Celtic move leagues, Rangers get liquidated, Scottish football gets regenerated and is better for all!

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Wouldn't kilmarnock deserve it before the smellies? :greengrin

SteveHFC
18-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Good **** off and don't come back!

Jonnyboy
18-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Careful folks - you'll have the "Scottish fitba' would die if the Old Firm left" brigade after ye :greengrin

Vini1875
18-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Simply do not believe it is a remote possibility it just a story to trot out over and over to sell a few more papers. Nothing more than a filler.

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Surely Scotland needs a strong Celtic?:confused:

Speedy
18-03-2012, 11:52 PM
http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2012/03/18/celtic-in-secret-talks-about-switch-to-npower-league-one-in-england-102039-23793094/

I'd like Hibs to do this, but I'm being selfish, living in London, would love to see Hibs take on Charlton etc..

Then get into the Premiership and do the business as Swansea and Norwich are now

I completely disagree.

I've got no interest in seeing hibs against charlton, exeter, morecambe, wycombe, doncaster or any other dross in the lower leagues of england.

And I don't think we'd ever get to the point of winning anything.

My ex flat mate is a hull city fan, they have never won anything...absolutely nothing and they don't have much of a chance of winning anything unless they got relegated. I'd never want Hibs to be in that position.

Edit: Before anyone corrects me, I meant in his lifetime(he's 24)...and the championship play off doesn't count.

snooky
19-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Seriously, I think it would be best for all concerned if Celtc moved to the Irish League.

It's a win/win/win situation shirley.

1) For them - they get to play at "home"
2) For 'Scottish' teams (excluding the soon-to-be-defunct RFC) - they'd not be in the Scottish League system
3) For the English - they won't have to take in CFC, or their fans

Everybody's happy .... no?

greenginger
19-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Spl rules require a club to give 2 years notice if they wish to quit.

Of course they could simply fail to complete their fixtures and be emptied. :greengrin

jgl07
19-03-2012, 02:17 AM

There is not a hope that Celtic would be allowed into League One. Which team would forfeit their place to make way?

Maybe if they started four or five levels down they could work their way up. Eventually. That assumes that UEFA do not block the move.

Any such move would entail a full restructuring of the entire League system. It is not going to happen.

Hibrandenburg
19-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Careful folks - you'll have the "Scottish fitba' would die if the Old Firm left" brigade after ye :greengrin

If it happened before 2014 it would be a large kick in the baws for Scottish independance though. (wee Satan smiley).

Keith_M
19-03-2012, 07:06 AM
No matter what the english chairmen think, the views of UEFA/FIFA could put a spoke in the works.

If they allow this, they could possibly open the floodgates.

If this IS allowed, one possible plan for Rankers would be to let the club get liquidated, buy Ibrox from the Administrators then take over a struggling English side

.....let's say just for arguments sake Scunthorpe United. Voila, they're in the English League.

I wonder if any of the bidders has thought of this :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
19-03-2012, 07:17 AM
No matter what the english chairmen think, the views of UEFA/FIFA could put a spoke in the works.

If this IS allowed, one possible plan for Rankers would be to let the club get liquidated, buy Ibrox from the Administrators then take over a struggling English side

.....let's say just for arguments sake Scunthorpe United. Voila, they're in the English League.

At least with Scunthorpe they wouldn't need
To change the name too much.
Ah yes the floodgates these types of proposals are they game changers that I was talking about Sky leading the mega indebted clubs away to an elite league leaving the others behind?

SouthEnglandHib
19-03-2012, 07:46 AM
as i follow my local team (in league one) i would love celtic in league one, many fans wouldnt welcome it, but i would, it would add another good away day.

as for who they would take out, may be another team from league two goes down...

The_Todd
19-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Pipe dream. Why league 1? Why not league 2?

Ozyhibby
19-03-2012, 08:08 AM
There is not a hope that Celtic would be allowed into League One. Which team would forfeit their place to make way?

Maybe if they started four or five levels down they could work their way up. Eventually. That assumes that UEFA do not block the move.

Any such move would entail a full restructuring of the entire League system. It is not going to happen.

Maybe Portsmouth or Port vale?
If one team goes then we all should go. Being left watching even poorer quality football up here has no appeal. Entering a British league system would be great.

Lucius Apuleius
19-03-2012, 08:16 AM
And yet they still complain because they were not invited to the "secret" meeting of the other 10????? ****** lowlives.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Surely they are in talks with a move to their natural home in the League of Ireland?

Purple & Green
19-03-2012, 08:48 AM

Wellington Phoenix play in the Australian League, and they are not even in the same confederation, so I don't see that it's an issue in theory.

What I don't know is, whether a scottish team could take an English european place because I would guess that would be key to Celtic or Rangers moving there.

CropleyWasGod
19-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Wellington Phoenix play in the Australian League, and they are not even in the same confederation, so I don't see that it's an issue in theory.

What I don't know is, whether a scottish team could take an English european place because I would guess that would be key to Celtic or Rangers moving there.

I don't see why they wouldn't, if they are a member of that League.

Cardiff, Monaco, Derry City... are examples.

ballengeich
19-03-2012, 09:31 AM

When Cardiff, Swansea and other Welsh clubs elected to stay in the English set-up rather than join the Welsh professional league on its inception, UEFA told them that they would not be able to qualify for European competitions as the English slots were for English-based clubs. The same would presumably apply to any Scottish clubs wanting to join the English league system.

It should be noted however, that Platini indicated just before this season's English League Cup final that he might be prepared to reverse this ruling if Cardiff had won.

Hibbyradge
19-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Ok John, I'll bite. :greengrin

Scottish football wouldn't die without the Old Firm.

It would just shrink. An awful, awful lot.

And the more successful the uglies became and the more glamorous their fixtures, the more we would shrink.

PS When I first typed that, I made a mistake and typed shtink instead of shrink.

On reflection, maybe I should have left it. :wink:

PeeJay
19-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Well - from a UEFA POV - it could set a precedent for clubs in other countries to pick and choose where they play, so I guess UEFA could well have good reason to clamp down on it?

Steve-O
19-03-2012, 09:58 AM

The reason is that there is no professional league in New Zealand though. Additionally, Phoenix cannot qualify for the Asian Champions League as they are from Oceania. Bizarre when they are technically an Aussie team but it is an anomaly that continues to be unresolved.

Ray_
19-03-2012, 10:00 AM
as i follow my local team (in league one) i would love celtic in league one, many fans wouldnt welcome it, but i would, it would add another good away day.

as for who they would take out, may be another team from league two goes down...

It would only last a season though, so would league one teams want to give up one of their promotion slots to have Celtic for a season?

Purple & Green
19-03-2012, 10:05 AM
I don't see why they wouldn't, if they are a member of that League.

Cardiff, Monaco, Derry City... are examples.

Has a welsh club ever represented England in Europe? Monaco are different perhaps as they have no national association - but the Derry City example is something that I hadn't thought about - so there's no real issue as to why Rangers and Celtic couldn't up sticks and move to England.

If they really wanted to that is, instead of just wanting to talk about it, constantly.

Hibbyradge
19-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Has a welsh club ever represented England in Europe? Monaco are different perhaps as they have no national association - but the Derry City example is something that I hadn't thought about - so there's no real issue as to why Rangers and Celtic couldn't up sticks and move to England.

If they really wanted to that is, instead of just wanting to talk about it, constantly.

They do really want to. Really, really, really.

It's just that England really doesn't want them.

Keith_M
19-03-2012, 10:07 AM
The so called "English League" is a red-herring, because it has always been for English and Welsh clubs, with the current Welsh league following later. Cardiff and Swansea did not leave the Welsh league, because none existed when they were formed.

The example of Derry City is an exception made for a club to leave a league because of Bigotry and fears of Terrorism. This was NOT a move motivated by money or ambition. It's questionable if that sets a precedent.

What happens if UEFA allow this and the Portugese Big 3 apply to join the Spanish League? Or Rapid and Red Bull the German League? There could be a whole lot of leagues killed off in Europe, so they could have a problem with that.

On the other hand, maybe they actually look forward to the day when there are only European leagues, with the biggest 36 clubs, or whatever, making up league one and two.

-----

p.s I forgot to add, why League One? If they're going to start at the bottom, why not League Two :confused:

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-03-2012, 10:11 AM

And take the huns with you

:agree:

greenginger
19-03-2012, 10:13 AM

There is no problem with them " up sticks " and moving to England if they actually played there games South of the Border.

The problem is they want to play in the English league whilst residing in Weegie Land.

Purple & Green
19-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Well - from a UEFA POV - it could set a precedent for clubs in other countries to pick and choose where they play, so I guess UEFA could well have good reason to clamp down on it?

Yes, perhaps, but I don't really think that there's many teams in many countries that don't want to play in their countries league. I don't think we'd see 100 teams want to swap leagues on the back of Rangers and Celtic doing it.

I'd also suspect that it is likely that the EU would stick an oar in if it felt restrictions on trade were being made by preventing a club joining a league.

But, I wish they would either do it or shut up about it.

Gettin' Auld
19-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Berwick Rangers play in the Scottish league, but they're an english team!

scunnyhibs
19-03-2012, 10:45 AM

OI!!!!! You leave my other team out of this.... and btw, we're no struggling that bad, starting a push for mid table mediocrity! Which for a club scunny's size is about right. For few years in championship we were punching above our weight.

Mind you Wharton and Murray had close business links leading to a few loan deals coming out of ibrox to glanford park, Steven McLean, Tom Brighton. So maybe it's not that daft an idea. If it happened tho I would turn my back on the club I grew up with rather than have owt to do with them.

Hibernia Na Eir
19-03-2012, 10:51 AM

But Hibs.netters would have no one to moan about?

MoscowHibs
19-03-2012, 10:51 AM
"Chairmen around England would be rubbing their hands with glee at the idea of thousands of the green and white fans swelling their attendances."

Aye, just like the polis and local cooncils will be rubbing their hands at the thought of drunken neds pishing in the street, sectarian bile getting sung and boarding up windows.
Non Starter sadly, I guess we are stuck wi the effers.

soupy
19-03-2012, 11:06 AM
As far as I know the Welsh FA have offered the chance to Swansea to play in the welsh cup next season as a way of trying to qualify for Europe, but in doing that, couldnt take part in the English one...

Disc O'Dave
19-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Football League chairman Greg Clarke has denied reports of Celtic joining the Championship or League One. He said: "We have absolutely no intention of having any discussions with any club from another national league regarding membership of our competition. This would be highly disrespectful to the Scottish FA and Scottish Premier League and will not be countenanced by the Football League."

You would think if Celtic were serious about this (as opposed to some sabre rattling to reinforce how much we "need" them), they would have run the concept past the Football League, to mibby gauge the mood at their end, and assess the probabilty of them being accepted...no?

I suggest they have just considered the "we don't need Rangers" line they were putting out, and realising the logical follow on would be that in that case, who really needs Celtic, and are doing the usual "off to England" line that got trotted out before every TV deal negotiation to scare the other 10 into giving the OF the lion's share of the deal....

jgl07
19-03-2012, 02:13 PM
As far as I know the Welsh FA have offered the chance to Swansea to play in the welsh cup next season as a way of trying to qualify for Europe, but in doing that, couldnt take part in the English one...

For years the big Welsh Clubs (and some from England) played in the Welsh Cup. Cardiff won it loads of times and qualified for the Cup Winners Cup many times. English clubs such as Shrewsbury that won the Welsh Cup could not qualify.

Then the regulations were tightened and those Welsh teams that played in the English League pyramid were barred form the Welsh Cup.

Later teams playing below the Conference Premier Level in England were instructed to join the League of Welsh. Some refused. Newport AFC played their home matches over the border in Gloucestershire to get around this issue. Newport eventually won their case and moved back home.

Some Welsh teams did move from the English League system to the League of Wales: Bangor City, Barry Town, Caernarfon Town, Newtown and Rhyl.

There appear to be six Welsh clubs operating in the English system: Swansea (Premier League), Cardiff (Championship), Wrexham, Newport (Conference Premier), Colwyn Bay (Conference North), and Merthyr Town (Western League Premier).

More confusingly, Chester play their home matches in a ground in Wales. New Saints play in the League of Wales and have represented Wales in European Competitions despite playing in Oswestry in England.

Across Europe there are loads of other situations with Italian and Leichtenstein teams playing in the Swiss League, Monaco playing in the French League, etc, etc. Cypriot teams have played in Greece.

Outside Europe there is more confusion with a New Zealand team playing in Australia, Canadian teams playing in the USA, etc.

It is a bit of a mess and I can't see UEFA permitting more exemptions. However it is difficult to see how they could resist a legal challenge to any veto.

Keith_M
19-03-2012, 02:19 PM
But Hibs.netters would have no one to moan about?

You REALLY think so?

:wink:

HibsNutter
19-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Portsmouth?

NAE NOOKIE
19-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Football = greed = the real chance that a number of skint English clubs could go for this.

The up side is that the English coppers would never allow this, unless being mental is a pre requisite of being an English copper.

:greengrin

R'Albin
19-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Pipe dream. Why league 1? Why not league 2?

Why not the conference? Why should one of them be shafted from promotion because of Celtic?

GloryGlory
20-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Football League chairman Greg Clarke has denied reports of Celtic joining the Championship or League One. He said: "We have absolutely no intention of having any discussions with any club from another national league regarding membership of our competition. This would be highly disrespectful to the Scottish FA and Scottish Premier League and will not be countenanced by the Football League."

You would think if Celtic were serious about this (as opposed to some sabre rattling to reinforce how much we "need" them), they would have run the concept past the Football League, to mibby gauge the mood at their end, and assess the probabilty of them being accepted...no?

I suggest they have just considered the "we don't need Rangers" line they were putting out, and realising the logical follow on would be that in that case, who really needs Celtic, and are doing the usual "off to England" line that got trotted out before every TV deal negotiation to scare the other 10 into giving the OF the lion's share of the deal....

They'll be assuming that the FL is like the SPL and SFA and will just do as they are told by Celtic and that no prior consultation is necessary.

GreenCastle
20-03-2012, 11:22 AM
So much wrong with the Scottish game right now at the top level.

Having heard this at the weekend again - have Celtic come out as a club and admitted it or denied it ? If they have been talking behind the SPL's back the other 10 clubs (not Rangers) should tell them we don't want them bringing the league down and showing a total disrespect to the SPL.

I would happily let Rangers or Celtic go elsewhere BUT people don't realise that there big plan has so many flaws and is just not going to happen.

1 - who decides what league they start in ? England has a pyramid structure and they would need voted in - are the English clubs really going to agree to this ? Do they need this ?

2 - Celtic wouldn't be guaranteed promotion each year and could take them up to 10 years to get to the EPL.

3 - In this time there fans would have to be very loyal - paying for tickets / travel etc with no European trips or extra money from winning cups / winning league / Champions League revenue.

4 - As the money drops from selling extra merchandise - funds will lower = quality of player will drop. Right now they sell and make quite a bit of money out of SPL Champion DVD's / T-shirts etc etc

I really wish the SPL would grow some and get rid of the Old Firm - all I want is a competitive league with no sectarian nonsense which is not run by 2 teams. The problem is the 10 other teams seem to be scared of change. Right now they have nothing to lose especially with Rangers being in a total mess - never a better time than to change the set up.

mickki40
20-03-2012, 11:33 AM
It will not happen. If you think English football will import sectarianism and Bigotry on top of the problems it already has think again. This was mooted about 10 years ago when Rangers and Celtic went on the agenda In a meeting with EPL bigwigs. It was decided that it would pave a way for the British league ( something no one wants) It would pave a way for a permanent team G.B. UEFA and FIFA have commented on it as well previously regarding a unified football Association. Personally I would like to see them move to Dublin.... then die.

Dashing Bob S
20-03-2012, 11:44 AM
It will not happen. If you think English football will import sectarianism and Bigotry on top of the problems it already has think again. This was mooted about 10 years ago when Rangers and Celtic went on the agenda In a meeting with EPL bigwigs. It was decided that it would pave a way for the British league ( something no one wants) It would pave a way for a permanent team G.B. UEFA and FIFA have commented on it as well previously regarding a unified football Association. Personally I would like to see them move to Dublin.... then die.

I think Scottish football is all but dead. I think the smaller European countries will eventually organize into regional European leagues. Football is now dominated by broadcast money, and small country leagues just aren't viable any more.

Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen should seriously think about following Celtic's league.

Or better still, the SPL should be talking to its counterparts in Holland, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and Norway, about creating a viable two tier West European League, with broadcast appeal.

That won't happen soon as the dinosaurs running our game will not take action to dissolve their crumbling fiefdom until it is pushed to the brink of extinction.

The weird thing is, it's the same voices who are coming out with all the nauseating guff about how Scottish football needs a strong Rangers who are the same ones who get all hot whenever an OF move to England is touted.

Peevemor
20-03-2012, 12:04 PM
More confusingly, Chester play their home matches in a ground in Wales.

Correcshun! The pitch is in Wales, but the offices and main stadium entrance is in England. :nerd:

mickki40
20-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I think Scottish football is all but dead. I think the smaller European countries will eventually organize into regional European leagues. Football is now dominated by broadcast money, and small country leagues just aren't viable any more.

Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen should seriously think about following Celtic's league.

Or better still, the SPL should be talking to its counterparts in Holland, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and Norway, about creating a viable two tier West European League, with broadcast appeal.

That won't happen soon as the dinosaurs running our game will not take action to dissolve their crumbling fiefdom until it is pushed to the brink of extinction.

The weird thing is, it's the same voices who are coming out with all the nauseating guff about how Scottish football needs a strong Rangers who are the same ones who get all hot whenever an OF move to England is touted.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I have been to Swedish Games. They play their league fixtures between friday night and Monday night. Every game is on Television for free. They don't allow teams to exceed 10% of debt of total turnover. Stadiums are forward thinking. Gamla Ullevi in Gothenburg has the capability to stand/sit at games for the same price. Beer is available and can be brought into the stands. The S.F.A. Would go into meltdown if that had to be allowed here. I personally think that The SFA AND SPL should be allowed to continue burying it's head in the sand regarding television rights in Scotland and oversee the demise of the S.P.L as we know it. Then maybe then a total rebuilding of the S.P.L./S.F.A. should start. The guys at the S.F.A. do not have any reality in themselves to see how all the other teams view the O.F. We as supporters of a team from outwith the O.F. know how badly treated the whole of Scottish football is. Rangers should have by now been boted out of the S.P.L. Hearts should have at least been docked 10 points so their finishing position cash is diminished. But the S.F.A./S.P.L. sit on their asses and do nothing. If the treatment to all clubs was equitable then maybe Scottish football could be saved, but you know as well as I know, they will still bury their heads in the sand