PDA

View Full Version : Out

majorhibs
18-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Ok thats it 37 odd years of just wanting to follow a team who got 50 % of the results, or failing that 25 % of the results, I am finished with this team, this pish, I am not doing this crap in Scotland any more, chairmen - Hart-Waugh-con artist brothers- Cromb-Petrie I couldnae care anymore, I am giving this pish up seriously, all I have put into this club as a supporter and they dony give me the one thing I need to come back- a win against that crap from the other side of my city- it has gone on throughout my life, sick sick sick of it, I am done. I am not interested big style in cups of any sort, pipe dreams, all my life I have only wanted to beat that crap, all my life I have been let down so often by the board primarily who do not want what I want, I only want to beat that shower even 40m % of the time, I have been let down on this for 37 odd years, I am finished. I am done, not going back. Even 50 % in future would not make up for the crap Ive endured. As it does not mean much to ANY board while ive followed this club then thats it, I am no longer going to follow football. I am gutted, I am out.

marinello59
18-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Ok thats it 37 odd years of just wanting to follow a team who got 50 % of the results, or failing that 25 % of the results, I am finished with this team, this pish, I am not doing this crap in Scotland any more, chairmen - Hart-Waugh-con artist brothers- Cromb-Petrie I couldnae care anymore, I am giving this pish up seriously, all I have put into this club as a supporter and they dony give me the one thing I need to come back- a win against that crap from the other side of my city- it has gone on throughout my life, sick sick sick of it, I am done. I am not interested big style in cups of any sort, pipe dreams, all my life I have only wanted to beat that crap, all my life I have been let down so often by the board primarily who do not want what I want, I only want to beat that shower even 40m % of the time, I have been let down on this for 37 odd years, I am finished. I am done, not going back. Even 50 % in future would not make up for the crap Ive endured. As it does not mean much to ANY board while ive followed this club then thats it, I am no longer going to follow football. I am gutted, I am out.

Totally understand why you feel like that. It's really worrying when guys who have followed Hibs as long as you have want to give up. The fact you are hurting so much after the latest capitulation to that mob kind of suggests you still care and are cursed to return to the fold sooner rather than later. It really is cr@p being a Hibby on days like this.

Twa Cairpets
18-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Matron!!! Who reduced the Majors medication?

Oh, by the way, if that performance is the one that tips you over the edge, you're just plain odd. We've had lots and lots of much worse to choose from haven't we?

scuttle
18-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Know exactly how you are feeling mate,Im of similar age just slightly older. A different team compared to the new years derby but yet again same guttless performance. Fed up to the back teeth of them out performing us in derbies and in the league we must have one of the worst derby records in world football. WHY.? I think if jeffries gets the Dunfermline gig he will have them fighting and battling like he did with Hertz and we could be in real trouble. One positive is we wont have to face them again this sesason in the league and probably not in the cup either as I dont want to sit at Hampden and get out played and outsung as in our last 4-0 humping there a few years ago when we had large numbers of empty seats Totally fed up at the moment with too many loan signings and players not up to the wearing of the jersey lack of qaulity, leadership etc ,but please dont give up and remember one thing ONCE A HIBBY ALWAYS A HIBBY

Hibernia&Alba
18-03-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm pissed off big time tonight, Major, but I can't match you for anger! I really hope you're letting off steam and will be back in the fold when the dust settles. We've had a terrible couple of years that have taken their toll on everyone, and your anger is shared by most. But it's guys like you, who have given decades of support that keeps the club going. Players, managers, chairmen come and go, but fans gave a lifetime of commitment. If we walk away the club dies. That doesn't mean we don't criticise. It doesn't mean we allow ourselves to be taken for granted and follow blindly. There comes a point where every fan says enough is enough, and you've taken 37 years of knocks to reach that point. But you've had countless good memories along the way and have even seen your team win a trophy or two, which the fans of the majority of clubs never get to enjoy.

There's a lot of frustration within the support just now, and everyone will make their own decision. It isn't for me to judge anyone who walks away; going to football isn't compulsary. I'd only ask every Hibs fan who is considering giving it all up to hang in there if they possibly can. Continue building the friendships and the memories, in addition to the inevitable heartbreak that makes up the Hibernian experience. Together we're stronger and more influential.

Hope to see you at the semi-final. :flag:

1875_hibs
18-03-2012, 07:50 PM

Bye

scoopyboy
18-03-2012, 07:54 PM

I am 44 years and counting of watching Hibs and I share your pain.

You will be back however, its just you don't realise it yet.

Matty_Jack04
18-03-2012, 07:55 PM
I had these thoughts myself a few weeks ago....to which I bought a ticket and took to the stands today, it's been a poor season BUT there's no way we'l be this bad next year stick with it.......the Scottish cups still up for grabs :)

hibee1994
18-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Can only get better for Hibernian FC

Think about it this way, at least we aren't financially screwed like one or two clubs in this league :aok:

The Green Goblin
18-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Bye

Harsh. The guy obviously cares. Give him a break, eh?

18-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Understandable you feel this frustrated towards hibs, I feel the same myself and I haven't been around watching hibs for nearly as long as you have. The team have time after time let us down and disappointed us in the big occasions such as derbies. Everyone wants to beat their biggest rivals and on a regular basis not just once every few seasons or so and its horrible having to suffer getting beat by them so much. However, the team need fan support otherwise they will just think "well if their not making the effort, why should we?" and things will get worse. Hope the players understand how much this ment to us and how disappointed we are at the current state of affairs but chances are most of them wont really care.

Stick at it, there will be good times again :flag:

lucky
18-03-2012, 08:11 PM
We are all hurting tonight again. The last 2 1/2 years have been awful. I'm not ready to give up on Hibs just yet but its getting harder. The Scottish cup semi has heartache written all over it but strangely the fact we are the biggest outsiders in the competition might just work in our favour.

Twa Cairpets
18-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Harsh. The guy obviously cares. Give him a break, eh?

Why? He cares so much he's given up, apparently.

hibsbollah
18-03-2012, 08:23 PM
The 23 in a row happened when i was at secondary in edinburgh, if major was going to pack it all in surely that would be the time. We won a major trophy only five years ago, lots of teams would bite off our hands for success that recent.

Baldy Foghorn
18-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Not sure why people post that they are "out", do they want the proverbial arm round the shoulder, group hug thing, saying there there it will be OK:confused:

Nobody said supporting Hibs would ever be easy, it's a bit like going to an AA meeting, hi my names Joe Bloggs and Im a Hibs supporter

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Beating them 40m% of the time is asking a bit much, no? ;-)

CentreLine
18-03-2012, 08:33 PM

Yes I think we all know how you feel. Then we see less Kilmarnock fans at the League Cup final than atteneded their semi-final because they didn't stand a chance.............................and look what happened. It is so tough being a Hibee right now esepcially when we see teams cheating their way to a degree of success.

I have been following the Hibs for close on 50 years. The tipping point for me will be what happens with Rangers. If they become Newco Rangers and the SFA/SPL do not handle that situation fairly and properly then I will have to consider whether I can continue to support a corrupt system.

NAE NOOKIE
18-03-2012, 08:59 PM

You & me have watched the Hibs for as long as each other Major & believe me I share your pain mate.... Hell my partner picked me up from the pub a few hours after the last derby at ER and I was in tears because it is just too hard to take defeat after defeat to these cheating b'strds, not to mention a number of pints and Jaeger Bombs which didnt help my emotional state any.

Our derby record over the last 30 years is nothing short of a disgrace !!!

But C'mon mate ..... you just cant deny yourself the chance of another Hampden let down .. its what being a Hibby is all about. See you on the 14th.

:aok:

Alfred E Newman
18-03-2012, 09:00 PM

You`ll be back. Thats what we do. I watched the game in my mates house and left for home at half time feeling ill with anger at another 45 embarrassing Derby minutes . I was fortunate to watch Hibs during the 60`s and 70`s when we totally dominated this fixture with players who knew what it meant to compete against our greatest rivals. It was like watching men against schoolboys in the first half today. I believe the second half performance was better though it had to be. Watching dire long ball football is not for me and not the reason I have followed Hibs faithfully for so long.

ekhibee
18-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Bye

Bye to you, I'm not renewing my season ticket at the end of the season, and you can stick your attitude where the sun don't shine an aw.

Jones28
18-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Bye

Attitude problem?

Jones28
18-03-2012, 09:16 PM
A worrying sign when the veterans are giving up on the Hibs.

Watching the game today (TV) and was just so disappointed with such a lack of passion - suppose that's the main problem when you've got 8 players who have never played in a derby before all starting. These guys that have come in may know Hibs exist, but they dont know the history. The most they've seen of the Famous Five is that "one if the stands at the Stadium is named after this group of guys that played for Hibs and they were alright at football etc etc". If they cared as much as the fans maybe it would be different but until then Derbies are going to continue to be the same.

Actually hope Hearts get into the top 6 at this rate. Cannot be arsed with another Derby defeat for a few months. Oh, if we play like that again we're relegated btw. Cos at that rate Dunfermline would have us

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Surprised this thread is still open?

Fergus52
18-03-2012, 09:24 PM
not only do we now have the most negative and moany fans, we now also have the most melodramatic too!

Hibbylad86
18-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Who said being a Hibby was easy? You will be back or not go. The major sounds a proper supporter who will realise in the good times ahead (mark my words the goods time like 5 years ago will be back) what it is to feel like a hibby!

We have our ups and downs, it's what we do! No one can or will make you stay but if you and you return I will be the first to say told you so!

Keep the faith! We are Hibernian FC

marinello59
18-03-2012, 09:31 PM
not only do we now have the most negative and moany fans, we now also have the most melodramatic too!
Cr@p post. Expect to find yourself strapped to railway tracks as I wrap my cloak around myself. (Evil laugh smiley.)

SquashedFrogg
18-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Bye to you, I'm not renewing my season ticket at the end of the season, and you can stick your attitude where the sun don't shine an aw.

:dancer:

SquashedFrogg
18-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Cr@p post. Expect to find yourself strapped to railway tracks as I wrap my cloak around myself. (Evil laugh smiley.)

*dramatic piano sound track*

carlos70
18-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Not sure why people post that they are "out", do they want the proverbial arm round the shoulder, group hug thing, saying there there it will be OK:confused:

Nobody said supporting Hibs would ever be easy, it's a bit like going to an AA meeting, hi my names Joe Bloggs and Im a Hibs supporter

Hi Joe........:wink:

Alfred E Newman
18-03-2012, 09:59 PM

No wonder.

The_Todd
18-03-2012, 10:02 PM
We are all hurting tonight again. The last 2 1/2 years have been awful. I'm not ready to give up on Hibs just yet but its getting harder. The Scottish cup semi has heartache written all over it but strangely the fact we are the biggest outsiders in the competition might just work in our favour.

How is this a fact. We're by no means the biggest outsider. We're 7/1, Hearts are 10/1 and St Mirren are 20/1.

ALF TUPPER
18-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Sad really to see fans walking away. I share your disappointment.

I've watching Hibs' glorious deafeats for over 50 years. Had many good times too. So, i 'll keep going - i'm a Hibby. Its what I do.

'I dont do walking away' as someone said recently . But if your serious about turning your back on HFC then ...,,, goodbye !

Paisley Hibby
18-03-2012, 10:07 PM

If you feel that bad you still care. I'm more worried by the fact that this is the least upset I've felt after a defeat by the Yams. In fact I honestly don't care. I'll keep going though and it will eventually get better.

AlbertK86
18-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Can only get better for Hibernian FC

Think about it this way, at least we aren't financially screwed like one or two clubs in this league :aok:

Jambos cannae be that skint they just forked out for Beattie who was the best player onthe park !!!

Seriously yeah they are not doing well financially but at least their fans have something to shout about and celebrate.......

Never mind lets sing and jump around celebrating how tight the Tache is and wot a great training ground we have !!!

I've followed the Hibs for 45 years but the last two or three have been ****** brutal with no real sign of it improving

Completely pissed off but that's life being a Hibby

GGTTH

hibee1994
18-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Jambos cannae be that skint they just forked out for Beattie who was the best player onthe park !!!

Seriously yeah they are not doing well financially but at least their fans have something to shout about and celebrate.......

Never mind lets sing and jump around celebrating how tight the Tache is and wot a great training ground we have !!!

I've followed the Hibs for 45 years but the last two or three have been ****** brutal with no real sign of it improving

Completely pissed off but that's life being a Hibby

GGTTH

Sounded like they were given that they released a statement moaning about their fringe players taking their wages. Now thats just wrong :na na: Suppose they might just be spending money in the hope that they make it back in the summer or from league prize money.

We might not have had the best of seasons, we might not have the best of records against our greatest rivals but it only makes victory all the more sweeter when it comes. And believe me, it will come.

The Green Goblin
19-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Why? He cares so much he's given up, apparently.

No, he cares because he has supported Hibs his whole life and yet still he has hit a low point that's causing him to doubt why he continues to, when all he gets in return is one disappointment after another.

Also, he's venting, honestly and with good reason, on his own fans' message board, (where else should he do that if not here?) although I suppose it was only inevitable that people would line up to put the boot into one of their own while he's down. That's what a lot of us do best on this site isn't it...

jgl07
19-03-2012, 02:32 AM

Another drama queen?

zitelli62
19-03-2012, 03:13 AM
Thats me done after 23 years a season ticket holder the butterflies are just are not there anymore before a derby as i know we will get beat every time. I even wrote to the board about the pish were watching and got a bog standard reply, i even moaned about the price of season tickets and how were the 3rd dearest in the league but they dont care, im afraid im off now dont know when if ever i will be back 40 years of watching hibs and 23 years a season ticket holder counts for nothing with this board im sick of the lot of them and im not the only one the empty stadium next season will tell its own story.

Barney McGrew
19-03-2012, 07:30 AM
I am no longer going to follow football. I am gutted, I am out.

I bet you're at the final if we get there.

hibbiedon
19-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Next month it will be 50 years since my first Hibs game [ beat St Mirren 2-1] I will give them another 50 years and if its no better then im off as well :flag:

Keith_M
19-03-2012, 07:40 AM
I bet you're at the final if we get there.

Mark my words, he'll be at Hampden watching us get beat as usual :wink:

Twa Cairpets
19-03-2012, 08:52 AM
No, he cares because he has supported Hibs his whole life and yet still he has hit a low point that's causing him to doubt why he continues to, when all he gets in return is one disappointment after another.

Also, he's venting, honestly and with good reason, on his own fans' message board, (where else should he do that if not here?) although I suppose it was only inevitable that people would line up to put the boot into one of their own while he's down. That's what a lot of us do best on this site isn't it...

I never realised that Hibs.net was a platform for the cathartic declaration of future non allegiance. Here was me thinking it was for fans of the club!

If guys like majorhibs and the collection of other drama queens throwing hissy fits and metaphorically tearing up their ST's really mean what they say, I truly hope we will not be burdened with their opinion in future. If you can go to games, and you don't, you're not a supporter, and lose the right to "vent".

Spike Mandela
19-03-2012, 08:59 AM
I am 44 years and counting of watching Hibs and I share your pain.

You will be back however, its just you don't realise it yet.

Not so sure about that scoopyboy. This season has been abysmal and with the danger of the Rangers whitewash on the horizon I think disillusionment at ER and other Scottish clubs is at an all time high. Fans have disappeared from ER like snow off a dyke and I only see that continuing with the dross we are watching.

Spike Mandela
19-03-2012, 09:05 AM
I never realised that Hibs.net was a platform for the cathartic declaration of future non allegiance. Here was me thinking it was for fans of the club!

If guys like majorhibs and the collection of other drama queens throwing hissy fits and metaphorically tearing up their ST's really mean what they say, I truly hope we will not be burdened with their opinion in future. If you can go to games, and you don't, you're not a supporter, and lose the right to "vent".

A lot of people won't make grand declarations of non allegiance but many will just quietly not renew their season ticket and will still come on .net.

People like the OP are perfectly entitled to say how THEY feel about all things Hibs and are indicative of the more silent majority who have been lost from attendances at ER.

Beefster
19-03-2012, 09:09 AM
If you can go to games, and you don't, you're not a supporter, and lose the right to "vent".

Hibs.net is going to be much quieter then, seeing as a lot of the most prolific posters don't go to games.

jdships
19-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Was thinking that myself as I was reading the posts.:agree:
" Drama Queens" are out in force on this thread :greengrin

To the OP ( and said with the greatest respect) at 46 you " aint seen nothing yet" re poor performances .
In December I completed 72 years since my first Hibs game and supporting them has been a " roller coaster ride to end all roller coaster rides" . Supporting Hibs is like buying a puppy " It's not just for Christmas it's for life " :greengrin

Following any sporting team will always have it high's and lows , good seasons and bad seasons , but at the end of the day it is you yourself who takes what you can out of it .
I have , along with many of my old mates, threatened to " pack it in , theyre no gettin' any mair money frae me " etc on numerous occasions but always , yes always , we go back .:flag:
Maybe not every week or go to away games but we do go back !!!
We haven't been to many games this last few months but " plans are in hand to resume normal service" in 2012/13 , given we are still around :wink:

It's a hard life being a "Real" Hibbee

:flag::flag::flag:

Ray_
19-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Was thinking that myself as I was reading the posts.:agree:
" Drama Queens" are out in force on this thread :greengrin

To the OP ( and said with the greatest respect) at 46 you " aint seen nothing yet" re poor performances .
In December I completed 72 years since my first Hibs game and supporting them has been a " roller coaster ride to end all roller coaster rides" . Supporting Hibs is like buying a puppy " It's not just for Christmas it's for life " :greengrin

Following any sporting team will always have it high's and lows , good seasons and bad seasons , but at the end of the day it is you yourself who takes what you can out of it .
I have , along with many of my old mates, threatened to " pack it in , theyre no gettin' any mair money frae me " etc on numerous occasions but always , yes always , we go back .:flag:
Maybe not every week or go to away games but we do go back !!!
We haven't been to many games this last few months but " plans are in hand to resume normal service" in 2012/13 , given we are still around :wink:

It's a hard life being a "Real" Hibbee

:flag::flag::flag:

The problem is though if this mood doesn't improve, "Real" Hibbee's will be as rare as a "Green Eyed Frog", with many once die hard's, already having departed from their regular slots at ER.

Twa Cairpets
19-03-2012, 09:55 AM
A lot of people won't make grand declarations of non allegiance but many will just quietly not renew their season ticket and will still come on .net.

People like the OP are perfectly entitled to say how THEY feel about all things Hibs and are indicative of the more silent majority who have been lost from attendances at ER.

While this would be sad, I'd have a damned sight more respect for those who do slip quietly away rather than flouncing off with some kind of weird inverted moral superiority about it. If you dont ant to go for any reason - fed-up, family, golf, whatever, fine, no problem for me and over the 40-odd years I've been going there have been lots and lots of people who have been and gone, has ST's and not, renewed and not renewed for any number of reasons. The match experience is different for me now thn it was 10, 15, 20, 30 years ago because the people going have changed.

Its self-evidently true that people who have been "die-hards" stop going, and always have. If the guys who attended game 20 years ago were still allo going, we'd just be able to add on all the people under 20 who weren't there who now go and we'd have a bumper crowd wouldnt we?

And I fundamentally disagree with this "perfectly entitled" line. If they've decided not to be a fan anymore, then a Hibs fan message board should be the last place they're entitled to post.

RIP
19-03-2012, 09:57 AM
The day of a derby defeat in our worst season for a decade isn't the time for any of us to be deciding on whether we will be back

It's also not the time for judging a fellow Hibby who is feeling low

We need collective toughness, solidarity and picking each other up when we are down

We are still in a relegation battle and it's going to need every man jack of us to keep Hibs in the SPL. There's the bonus of a Hampden trip in a few weeks as well

:flag:

Spike Mandela
19-03-2012, 10:09 AM
And I fundamentally disagree with this "perfectly entitled" line. If they've decided not to be a fan anymore, then a Hibs fan message board should be the last place they're entitled to post.

You never stop being a fan even if you choose to stop going to support the team. Any person IS perfectly entitled to go on any public forum and write whatever they like as long as they don't stray into libel or the various 'isms' etc.

jdships
19-03-2012, 10:31 AM
The problem is though if this mood doesn't improve, "Real" Hibbee's will be as rare as a "Green Eyed Frog", with many once die hard's, already having departed from their regular slots at ER.

Agree with what you say .
However when, and they will, things improve many who are getting hot under the collar will be back plus there are always new generations coming along .
" Success breeds success , failure breeds failure" is a proven fact no matter if this is at sporting or day job level .
Look at Swansea City attendances around 10/1100 in Champ now in EPL close to capacity at 18/19
We as football supporters are fickle to say the least :greengrin
Say what you like but we thrive on success :wink:

Ray_
19-03-2012, 10:41 AM
While this would be sad, I'd have a damned sight more respect for those who do slip quietly away rather than flouncing off with some kind of weird inverted moral superiority about it. If you dont ant to go for any reason - fed-up, family, golf, whatever, fine, no problem for me and over the 40-odd years I've been going there have been lots and lots of people who have been and gone, has ST's and not, renewed and not renewed for any number of reasons. The match experience is different for me now thn it was 10, 15, 20, 30 years ago because the people going have changed.

Its self-evidently true that people who have been "die-hards" stop going, and always have. If the guys who attended game 20 years ago were still allo going, we'd just be able to add on all the people under 20 who weren't there who now go and we'd have a bumper crowd wouldnt we?

Folk who post on here about changing something they have done for decades have far more on their minds than gaining "your respect". Given your intolerance to what they are feeling, "your respect" is a long long way from being crucial, wanted or even remotely needed.

Ray_
19-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Agree with what you say .
However when, and they will, things improve many who are getting hot under the collar will be back plus there are always new generations coming along .
" Success breeds success , failure breeds failure" is a proven fact no matter if this is at sporting or day job level .
Look at Swansea City attendances around 10/1100 in Champ now in EPL close to capacity at 18/19
We as football supporters are fickle to say the least :greengrin
Say what you like but we thrive on success :wink:

We do and there are many many people who want their football back, so folk will return & hopefully it will be a long long time before the depression around the place gets as bad as it has been over the last 2-3 years.

My first match was the 11-1 Hamilton game in November 65, so I'm along way from the service you have given, my first real taste of unrest was towards Harrower & Shankly, towards the end of both their reigns, but I can't remember a depression to match the last two to three years.

Twa Cairpets
19-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Folk who post on here about changing something they have done for decades have far more on their minds than gaining "your respect". Given your intolerance to what they are feeling, "your respect" is a long long way from being crucial, wanted or even remotely needed.

I've not the faintest interest in them gaining my respect, and I am entirely sure it is the last thing on their minds.

However, if they have this apparent right to come on and bleat about how unfair it all is and how a football team has let them down - boo-hoo - then I, presumably, have the same right to come on and suggest that they get a grip of themselves and stop inflicting their pretend little emotional crisis on us all.

Albion Hibs
19-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Wait a minute...to be clear are you saying you are giving up?!

Yesterday was a decent enough reflection the two supports, they filled there own stadium, we cant do that, they fill the away end, we cant do that. It would appear you are not the first and wont be the last. Sad reality is if we were as well supported as they are we would have a better team on the pitch. I think that would go a long way to getting 40% results against them.

Ray_
19-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Wait a minute...to be clear are you saying you are giving up?!

Yesterday was a decent enough reflection the two supports, they filled there own stadium, we cant do that, they fill the away end, we cant do that. It would appear you are not the first and wont be the last. Sad reality is if we were as well supported as they are we would have a better team on the pitch. I think that would go a long way to getting 40% results against them.

The facts do not support that do they?

1] Teams with far inferior support than Hibs regularly have better results than us against Hearts!

2] Hibs were breaking income records in all area's some seven years ago & the slide in support for the club coincided with the free fall the team were on. The large financial support didn't give the fans a better team and ascendency, the reward the fans got was being taken down a route that got us infinitely worse, to the degree that many gave up watch season on season of dross.

down the slope
19-03-2012, 12:02 PM

1] Teams with far inferior support than Hibs regularly have better results than us against Hearts!

2] Hibs were breaking income records in all area's some seven years ago & the slide in support for the club coincided with the free fall the team were on. The large financial support didn't give the fans a better team and ascendency, the reward the fans got was being taken down a route that got us infinitely worse, to the degree that many gave up watch season on season of dross.

Spot on, instead of improvements in the squad we got two white elephants-the training ground and a new stand.

Albion Hibs
19-03-2012, 12:22 PM

I would suggest that it goes without saying that if there was more money to spend we would be able to attract a better quality player.

In terms of our massive income was that not generated through player sales? In which case the club have always said ST money goes into the team and the revenue from sales invested in the infrastructure of the club.

MB62
19-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Sad reality is if we were as well supported as they are we would have a better team on the pitch. I think that would go a long way to getting 40% results against them.

Sorry, but that is absolute rubbish. For a start neither St Mirren nor Motherwell have a bigger support than us but do better against that lot.

Maybe the fact they are spending money on players that they can't afford has a wee bit to do with it.

I hardly watched any of the game yesterday as I just felt there was a feeling of inevitability about the result. They always manage to get themselves up for games against us and we role over and lie down like nice wee boys.

Worryingly, if we can't match that lot in desire, we will have no chance against a Dundee United team who work their socks off from first to last whistle and who have the desire and passion to succeed, not mention ability.

Maybe division one is our level, or maybe we should break the bank, go £40m in debt and then accept administration some time down the line, it seems to work fine for some clubs.

Ray_
19-03-2012, 12:50 PM
I would suggest that it goes without saying that if there was more money to spend we would be able to attract a better quality player.

In terms of our massive income was that not generated through player sales? In which case the club have always said ST money goes into the team and the revenue from sales invested in the infrastructure of the club.

We were having record amounts of season ticket sales as well the same in merchandising & hospitality, so no, it wasn't all generated through player sales.

Twa Cairpets
19-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Sorry, but that is absolute rubbish. For a start neither St Mirren nor Motherwell have a bigger support than us but do better against that lot.

Maybe the fact they are spending money on players that they can't afford has a wee bit to do with it.

I hardly watched any of the game yesterday as I just felt there was a feeling of inevitability about the result. They always manage to get themselves up for games against us and we role over and lie down like nice wee boys.

Worryingly, if we can't match that lot in desire, we will have no chance against a Dundee United team who work their socks off from first to last whistle and who have the desire and passion to succeed, not mention ability.

Maybe division one is our level, or maybe we should break the bank, go £40m in debt and then accept administration some time down the line, it seems to work fine for some clubs.

Its odd how in the light of a derby defeat people lose all sense of perspective. To say that if we having higher crowds wouldnt lead to at least the possibility of better team is arrant nonsense. The higher your income the better your wages and therefore the better player you employ. Hearts still, over the piece, have better players because they pay more (or occasionally pay more). The difference was summed up in the two big strikers on the pitch. Beattie commands a decent wedge because he is strong, powerful and by all reports a dedicated pro. We have the white Nade. (One of our own? - erm, naw, two of our own maybe.). There's a reason why GOC didnt get a move to a better team in the winter, and the reason is no-one will pay him more.

It staggers me also by the way that you comment without even having watched the game. How can you not watch a Hibs Hearts game and have any pretence to still claim to be a fan?

killie-hibby
19-03-2012, 12:58 PM

I share your feelings, and have suffered nineteen years longer than you have, but will likely stay on for a few more years and experience :flag:death before common sense. Good luck to you in whatever Saturday activities you engage in.

MB62
19-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Its odd how in the light of a derby defeat people lose all sense of perspective. To say that if we having higher crowds wouldnt lead to at least the possibility of better team is arrant nonsense. The higher your income the better your wages and therefore the better player you employ. Hearts still, over the piece, have better players because they pay more (or occasionally pay more). The difference was summed up in the two big strikers on the pitch. Beattie commands a decent wedge because he is strong, powerful and by all reports a dedicated pro. We have the white Nade. (One of our own? - erm, naw, two of our own maybe.). There's a reason why GOC didnt get a move to a better team in the winter, and the reason is no-one will pay him more.

It staggers me also by the way that you comment without even having watched the game. How can you not watch a Hibs Hearts game and have any pretence to still claim to be a fan?

Given then that we still have higher average crowds than Dundee United, St. Mirren, Killie, Inverness, St. Johnstone, who are all currently above us in the league by a fair margin and have performed more consistantly than we have over a few years now, where does that leave your arguement?
Hearts also have bigger crowds than every other team outside the OF but do not consistantly finish 3rd in the league, again, where does that leave your arguement?

Aye, you're right, I'm not even pretending anymore :bye:

Twa Cairpets
19-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Given then that we still have higher average crowds than Dundee United, St. Mirren, Killie, Inverness, St. Johnstone, who are all currently above us in the league by a fair margin and have performed more consistantly than we have over a few years now, where does that leave your arguement?
Hearts also have bigger crowds than every other team outside the OF but do not consistantly finish 3rd in the league, again, where does that leave your arguement?

Aye, you're right, I'm not even pretending anymore :bye:

If you look over the last two years, then absolutely we are punching well below our weight. If you take a longer term view, we on average finsih about where we should. Football is a sport. Things happen at other clubs that are outwith of our control that bring them relative success. For pretty much any team the passions that inflame people one week are entirely foprgotten the week after if we get a good result, likewise a good run brought to a crashing halt is forgotten in the aftermath. Look at Huddersfield. A manager takes them god knows how many games unbeaten then is punted when they hit a rocky patch. Spectactularly short sighted I suspect. What happens in the course of one season is largely irrelevant when looking at where we fit. On average, we finish above all the teams you list except Hearts, who've always (in the modern era, anyway, had better attendances, thats just a fact).

This short-termism is what has put us where we are (coupled with two very poor managerial appointments in Hughes and Calderwood in particular, where short-termism was, perversely, the right thing).

For all that people bleat in about what we are and what we should be, anyone who has watched Hibs for any period of time will realise that attending games has always been a triumph of hope over expectation. I reckon I've been to somewhere north of 1000 Hibs games in my life, and I can only recall the detail of a small percentage. If you happen to hav ebeen brough tup a Hibby, that's yer lot. Yes, I passionately want us to be better, I'm not blindly accepting the status quo at present as being ideal, but I'm equally not deciding that going to the shops is more appealing than going to a game because it isnt. Hibs, with all the disappointment it brings and the bloody eternal hope that is the real killer is still the team I want to go and see and be part of as an insitution. I'll be going to the games (personal circumstances willing) long after any current employee of the club has left, because thats what being a football loving fan of a club does.

There'll be good days, bad days, really bad days and utterly shecht days, but its all part and parcel of being a Hibby. I dont see why people dont get that.

Beefster
19-03-2012, 03:12 PM
If you take a longer term view, we on average finsih about where we should.

Not strictly true. Since we've been in the SPL, we've finished an average of 6th. We should be, on average, somewhere between 4th and 5th.

Twa Cairpets
19-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Not strictly true. Since we've been in the SPL, we've finished an average of 6th. We should be, on average, somewhere between 4th and 5th.

Thanks - but the point is still valid. Were not usually where we are this season.

Ray_
19-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks - but the point is still valid. Were not usually where we are this season.

I remember when third and forth were punching our weight & we got the crowds to match, maybe you are putting the cart before the horse?

We are far more often below the level we should be at, so how is your point anyway valid?

NAE NOOKIE
19-03-2012, 05:57 PM
If you look over the last two years, then absolutely we are punching well below our weight. If you take a longer term view, we on average finsih about where we should. Football is a sport. Things happen at other clubs that are outwith of our control that bring them relative success. For pretty much any team the passions that inflame people one week are entirely foprgotten the week after if we get a good result, likewise a good run brought to a crashing halt is forgotten in the aftermath. Look at Huddersfield. A manager takes them god knows how many games unbeaten then is punted when they hit a rocky patch. Spectactularly short sighted I suspect. What happens in the course of one season is largely irrelevant when looking at where we fit. On average, we finish above all the teams you list except Hearts, who've always (in the modern era, anyway, had better attendances, thats just a fact).

This short-termism is what has put us where we are (coupled with two very poor managerial appointments in Hughes and Calderwood in particular, where short-termism was, perversely, the right thing).

For all that people bleat in about what we are and what we should be, anyone who has watched Hibs for any period of time will realise that attending games has always been a triumph of hope over expectation. I reckon I've been to somewhere north of 1000 Hibs games in my life, and I can only recall the detail of a small percentage. If you happen to hav ebeen brough tup a Hibby, that's yer lot. Yes, I passionately want us to be better, I'm not blindly accepting the status quo at present as being ideal, but I'm equally not deciding that going to the shops is more appealing than going to a game because it isnt. Hibs, with all the disappointment it brings and the bloody eternal hope that is the real killer is still the team I want to go and see and be part of as an insitution. I'll be going to the games (personal circumstances willing) long after any current employee of the club has left, because thats what being a football loving fan of a club does.

There'll be good days, bad days, really bad days and utterly shecht days, but its all part and parcel of being a Hibby. I dont see why people dont get that.

This :top marks

brog
19-03-2012, 06:16 PM
I share the pain of most of the posters & undoubtedly there's some correlation between a large, noisy supportive crowd & positive results but it's not everything. Given our recent results vs Yams however & that following on from a not too distant record breaking run of no wins, I'm surprised & a bit proud that so many actually do still go to PBS.
One thing I won't have though is praising that lot for their support for their team. It's easy to turn up when you expect to win. Don't forget that in October 2000 a mammoth crowd of about 1600 Yams made the long trek to ER. Why so few? Because they expected to be humped & duly were. :wink:
If you reversed our recent results against Yams their support would be as scarce as Craig Whyte's fan club! We'll be back, keep the faith, I have for 55 years.

HibbyDave
19-03-2012, 06:25 PM
I wasn't there.... I have a TV and Saved £50 at least rather than give them any cash.

I didn't care..... I sat and watched completely unbothered by the result

Same old, Same old.

I'm still a hibby but the half empty stand confirmed all my feelings towards hibs lately.

APATHY piled upon APATHY from, Players and Fans.

Oh yes, did I mention.......40+ years of following Hibs everywhere

If you think it's not important that Hibs are losing Thousands of people year on Year then you must be the person in charge of the Database (in which case, can I secure my Hampden tickets now please)? Where evrything is fine and we can still rely on more mugs rolling up soon.

Baldy Foghorn
19-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I wasn't there.... I have a TV and Saved £50 at least rather than give them any cash.

I didn't care..... I sat and watched completely unbothered by the result

Same old, Same old.

I'm still a hibby but the half empty stand confirmed all my feelings towards hibs lately.

APATHY piled upon APATHY from, Players and Fans.

Oh yes, did I mention.......40+ years of following Hibs everywhere

If you think it's not important that Hibs are losing Thousands of people year on Year then you must be the person in charge of the Database (in which case, can I secure my Hampden tickets now please)? Where evrything is fine and we can still rely on more mugs rolling up soon.

Am I reading this right? Anyone who goes and backs the Club is a mug?

BEEJ
19-03-2012, 07:43 PM
One positive is we wont have to face them again this sesason in the league and probably not in the cup either as I dont want to sit at Hampden and get out played and outsung as in our last 4-0 humping there a few years ago when we had large numbers of empty seats Totally fed up at the moment with too many loan signings and players not up to the wearing of the jersey lack of qaulity, leadership etc ,but please dont give up and remember one thing ONCE A HIBBY ALWAYS A HIBBY
Not sure why, in the midst of your post, you had to make that statement.

Strange thing for a Hibs supporter to highlight in the aftermath of yesterdays' result. :confused:

One thing I won't have though is praising that lot for their support for their team. It's easy to turn up when you expect to win. Don't forget that in October 2000 a mammoth crowd of about 1600 Yams made the long trek to ER. Why so few? Because they expected to be humped & duly were. :wink:
:agree: Agree completely.

Twa Cairpets
19-03-2012, 08:37 PM
I remember when third and forth were punching our weight & we got the crowds to match, maybe you are putting the cart before the horse?

We are far more often below the level we should be at, so how is your point anyway valid?

for two reasons:

1) The rest of the post about expectations, and
2) If someone decides not to go because we finish on average 1-1.5 places below where we theoretically could/should based on support then they are, frankly, deluded.

I dont care why people dont want to go. It's up to the board to address the clear issues: Performances improve so do crowds, performances go down then fairweather fans see clouds on every horizon. If thats how these individuals define their support, well, that's fine, but I don't particularly want to hear their half-hearted bleating.

There is no doubt tha the constant barrage of "we're pash", "I'm out", "not going back", etc etc has a cumulative effect of making the stauts quo of apathy and disillusionment seem acceptable. Im not saying "it's all the fans fault", but it clearly is an element.

heretoday
19-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Oh well, at the end of the day it's only a game.

:duck:

ekhibee
19-03-2012, 09:01 PM
for two reasons:

2) If someone decides not to go because we finish on average 1-1.5 places below where we theoretically could/should based on support then they are, frankly, deluded.

I dont care why people dont want to go. It's up to the board to address the clear issues: Performances improve so do crowds, performances go down then fairweather fans see clouds on every horizon. If thats how these individuals define their support, well, that's fine, but I don't particularly want to hear their half-hearted bleating.

There is no doubt tha the constant barrage of "we're pash", "I'm out", "not going back", etc etc has a cumulative effect of making the stauts quo of apathy and disillusionment seem acceptable. Im not saying "it's all the fans fault", but it clearly is an element.

Your havering is the cumulative effect of talking pish at great length. Of course the derby game has a big effect on people, as has the Scottish Cup, and we don't win either of them, so just what does that leave?

Ray_
19-03-2012, 09:47 PM
for two reasons:

This is getting tiresome, football in this day and age is massively more expensive than at anytime before & other attractions plentiful. The rubbish you are peddling about “supporting your club” won’t wash, people are sick to death of the expensive garbage that’s being served up as entertainment at ER & its very plain, guilt trips by the likes of you and/or the inept board won’t be nearly enough to bring the thousands of missing fans back.

We as fans did “stand up and be counted” & spent bundles, as recognised in the accounts, in doing so, the reward has been year upon year of mind-numbingly boring football & millions of our pounds wasted by the club’s guardians.

The last game I went to was the one where Rangers clinched the title, almost two years ago, I brought several of my mates up to the game & after paying them in, the money I spent, I could have bought two season tickets.

I won’t go because of the rubbish on offer & more importantly, like a lot of people, I have little confidence that my cash won’t just be wasted, as has so much of it in the past decade or so by the bungling individual that’s been running our club.

Hibrandenburg
19-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Oh well, at the end of the day it's only a game.

:duck:

I actually laughed out loud at that. Says a lot about my feelings on the subject, not quite sure what though.

frazeHFC
19-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Bye

:agree:

Can't believe some are giving you stick for simply saying 'bye'. I can understand the OP is annoyed, but if he wants to give up then **** him.

frazeHFC
19-03-2012, 10:06 PM

Attitude problem?

Please explain why you think the guy has an attitude problem for simply saying 'bye'?

Hibernia&Alba
19-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Can't believe some are giving you stick for simply saying 'bye'. I can understand the OP is annoyed, but if he wants to give up then **** him.

I don't agree. The OP has clearly spent a great deal of time, money and emotion on Hibs over several decades. When diehards like him (who have seen numerous crap teams over those years) decide to give it up now, I think we need to look more deeply than a simple '**** him'. We don't have a large enough fanbase to afford the loss of longstanding fans in any great numbers. We have 20,000 seats, of which far too many are already empty. We need to find out how to keep existing fans and attract new ones, for which there is no simple answer.

scuttle
19-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Not sure why, in the midst of your post, you had to make that statement.

Strange thing for a Hibs supporter to highlight in the aftermath of yesterdays' result. :confused:

:agree: Agree completely.

I highlighted it because it was embarrasing that we couldnt shift our ticket allocation for a Scottish cup semi final against our rivals. Probably the biggest game other than the final itself and the defeatest attitude of the support that day

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2012, 10:18 PM
I don't agree. The OP has clearly spent a great deal of time, money and emotion on Hibs over several decades. When diehards like him (who have seen numerous crap teams over those years) decide to give it up now, I think we need to look more deeply than a simple '**** him'. We don't have a large enough fanbase to afford the loss of longstanding fans in any great numbers. We have 20,000 seats, of which far too many are already empty. We need to find out how to keep existing fans and attract new ones, for which there is no simple answer.

BEEJ
19-03-2012, 10:28 PM
I highlighted it because it was embarrasing that we couldnt shift our ticket allocation for a Scottish cup semi final against our rivals. Probably the biggest game other than the final itself and the defeatest attitude of the support that day
Think you need to get over it. It's a while ago now and much worse has happened since.

Our pink friends, however, never cease to bring up the subject.

scuttle
19-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Think you need to get over it. It's a while ago now and much worse has happened since.

O
ur pink friends, however, never cease to bring up the subject.

What has been worse since, that one was really sore in my opinion

Hibrandenburg
19-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Green nodding smiling smiley.

IWasThere2016
19-03-2012, 10:42 PM
This is getting tiresome, football in this day and age is massively more expensive than at anytime before & other attractions plentiful. The rubbish you are peddling about “supporting your club” won’t wash, people are sick to death of the expensive garbage that’s being served up as entertainment at ER & its very plain, guilt trips by the likes of you and/or the inept board won’t be nearly enough to bring the thousands of missing fans back.

We as fans did “stand up and be counted” & spent bundles, as recognised in the accounts, in doing so, the reward has been year upon year of mind-numbingly boring football & millions of our pounds wasted by the club’s guardians.

The last game I went to was the one where Rangers clinched the title, almost two years ago, I brought several of my mates up to the game & after paying them in, the money I spent, I could have bought two season tickets.

I won’t go because of the rubbish on offer & more importantly, like a lot of people, I have little confidence that my cash won’t just be wasted, as has so much of it in the past decade or so by the bungling individual that’s been running our club.

Spot on!

QMU-1875
19-03-2012, 10:45 PM
As much as any hibee will be hurting after getting beat off of them, i am of the opinion that they can fire their derby record right up their collective a**e!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUn9IRZoK0

aw aye and for those questioning whether beating hearts feels better than winning a cup let me remind you of this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8

that feeling is far better than beating them a couple of times in a season and itl be us with the bragging rights come the end of the season when we bag the scottish :aok: nothing could hurt that mob more!

:flag::pfgwa:flag:

Phil D. Rolls
19-03-2012, 11:01 PM

I feel your pain MH, but the bad news is you can't say you're out. Following Hibs is not a choice it's a condition, you learn to live with it.

This is coming from someone who hasn't had the bottle to stay with it as long as the rest of you. I haven't been back since Calderwood's first derby. It was easy for a while, I work 3 out of 4 weekends, and often am on a late shift the nights Hibs play midweek.

I thought that would do it, for a few weeks I didn't know who we were playing against. I "accidently" learned the results through small talk. I would roll my eyes, affect a smile like older guys try to do, and shake my head. It's only daft game and all that.

I thought I was cured. I thought I had outgrown it.

Yet the slightest glimmer of recovery and I was buying the EEN. Listening to Off the Ball. Of course it has been easy to slip back into my hiding place when things went the way they did.

But through all this, I still felt a strange sense of shame. Shame that people were spending their money, shivering in the cold with nothing to give them hope - whilst I was comfortable in my Liars Chair.

All it took though was two Scottish Cup wins, games we would have lost before, for that stupid thought I've had since I was 10 to come back. Hibs will win the Scottish Cup, we will party for days, alongside the ghosts of long gone players, fathers, and friends.

Madness, insanity, mental illness - all titles that my condition qualifies for. Just like a chronic condition, you can't escape it. It's always there, hiding - just as I am.

As I said, you have to learn to live with it. Take the rough with the brutal, the despondency with the futility, learn to laugh at yourself, but realise you can never get away from what you are.

A Hibernian soldier, that went saw Hearts go 3-2 up back in 83, couldn't believe it, and spent the next 10 years coming to terms with the fact that the Clerks and Shopkeepers in West Edinburgh - on paper were top dogs.

In your heart you knew it could never be true, and things like '91 the 6-2 game, Sauzee, Archibald, Brown, Fletcher, O'Connor, Riordan and many more mean that at the core of our club is a true spirti that values football and knows that if we wait long enough we'll have the odd scorcher, whilst living the majority of our lives in Scottish summer.

Well done to everyone that has stuck with our team though yet another difficult period. When you look at the spaces around you, remember that they will be full again soon. And more 10 year olds will spend the rest of their lives wondering if this is the year.

We go on, and my feeling is that very soon the Sun will shine on Leith as never before!

Hibrandenburg
19-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I feel your pain MH, but the bad news is you can't say you're out. Following Hibs is not a choice it's a condition, you learn to live with it.

This is coming from someone who hasn't had the bottle to stay with it as long as the rest of you. I haven't been back since Calderwood's first derby. It was easy for a while, I work 3 out of 4 weekends, and often am on a late shift the nights Hibs play midweek.

I thought that would do it, for a few weeks I didn't know who we were playing against. I "accidently" learned the results through small talk. I would roll my eyes, affect a smile like older guys try to do, and shake my head. It's only daft game and all that.

I thought I was cured. I thought I had outgrown it.

Yet the slightest glimmer of recovery and I was buying the EEN. Listening to Off the Ball. Of course it has been easy to slip back into my hiding place when things went the way they did.

But through all this, I still felt a strange sense of shame. Shame that people were spending their money, shivering in the cold with nothing to give them hope - whilst I was comfortable in my Liars Chair.

All it took though was two Scottish Cup wins, games we would have lost before, for that stupid thought I've had since I was 10 to come back. Hibs will win the Scottish Cup, we will party for days, alongside the ghosts of long gone players, fathers, and friends.

Madness, insanity, mental illness - all titles that my condition qualifies for. Just like a chronic condition, you can't escape it. It's always there, hiding - just as I am.

As I said, you have to learn to live with it. Take the rough with the brutal, the despondency with the futility, learn to laugh at yourself, but realise you can never get away from what you are.

A Hibernian soldier, that went saw Hearts go 3-2 up back in 83, couldn't believe it, and spent the next 10 years coming to terms with the fact that the Clerks and Shopkeepers in West Edinburgh - on paper were top dogs.

In your heart you knew it could never be true, and things like '91 the 6-2 game, Sauzee, Archibald, Brown, Fletcher, O'Connor, Riordan and many more mean that at the core of our club is a true spirti that values football and knows that if we wait long enough we'll have the odd scorcher, whilst living the majority of our lives in Scottish summer.

Well done to everyone that has stuck with our team though yet another difficult period. When you look at the spaces around you, remember that they will be full again soon. And more 10 year olds will spend the rest of their lives wondering if this is the year.

We go on, and my feeling is that very soon the Sun will shine on Leith as never before!

Wow!

Hibernia&Alba
19-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Excellent wee piece, Filled Rolls. I enjoyed that description of the addiction :aok:

Are you going to the semi-final? :flag:

Phil D. Rolls
19-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Excellent wee piece, Filled Rolls. I enjoyed that description of the addiction :aok:

Are you going to the semi-final? :flag:

Aye!:greengrin

cad
19-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Neds ,Tornados sold me a pup when I was 9 , I thought it was plain sailing after that, intae Europe every season, cup finals ,silverware , fabulous attacking football , got a lot to answer for has Mr Turnbull with Hibees of a certain age :wink:

Twa Cairpets
20-03-2012, 12:14 AM

FFS. Do you not actually read the posts?

I have no gripe whatsoever with people deciding they've got better things to do. There's no guilt trips laid, why should I care about why someone else wants to spend their money differently.

Presumably, you'll be back when/if things improve? I hope you do, but it will have been that deluded core of short sighted simpletons who've kept going to games that will have provided you with the platform to be marginally less cynical about the club you claim to be a fan of. If we all have your attitude, the club dies.

Interesting that you've not been to a game in 2 years. Will you be going to the final if we get there? Just wondering likes?

Ray_
20-03-2012, 01:20 AM

I have no gripe whatsoever with people deciding they've got better things to do. There's no guilt trips laid, why should I care about why someone else wants to spend their money differently.

Presumably, you'll be back when/if things improve? I hope you do, but it will have been that deluded core of short sighted simpletons who've kept going to games that will have provided you with the platform to be marginally less cynical about the club you claim to be a fan of. If we all have your attitude, the club dies.

Interesting that you've not been to a game in 2 years. Will you be going to the final if we get there? Just wondering likes?

That one game cost me about £800 by the way, with the biggest proportion of the cash going to Hibs.

Most Unlikely. I've been to plenty of them, seen us lose 18 goals in just three of them & even though the loss of 18 goals, every one of those three teams would be far more value for money, at today's prices, than what we have today. I didn't only go to the finals, I was at every game leading up to them as well.

After all the accusations regarding the OP, now who's the drama queen? Anyway, your grossly mistaken, if the club did die, it would be due to the people running it [badly] By the way, what was that you said, in the very same post about no guilt trips laid? Therefore, FFS, do you actually pay attention to what you write?

At school I was lucky enough to be able to regularly wash the cars of people I knew & earn cash, this enabled me to go to every Hibs home & away game, for a fair number of years. Even at that tender age, in the school playground, I never ever felt the need to cast this up to fans, who, for whatever reason, didn't go, mind you, back then the price was a hell of a lot cheaper & the quality far higher, so there wasn't anywhere near the level of vocal dissidents as there are today.

MB62
20-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Can I ask you why you are interested in whether Ray goes to the final or not?

BEEJ
20-03-2012, 01:07 PM
What has been worse since, that one was really sore in my opinion
I was referring to the seating arrangements that day.

Why rabbit on about it? Far more important matters of concern to Hibs supporters, since then and now.

Twa Cairpets
20-03-2012, 04:59 PM
That one game cost me about £800 by the way, with the biggest proportion of the cash going to Hibs.

I'm sure your friends appreciated your magnanimous gesture, but it was your choice to pay them in, so its kinda irrelevant how much went to Hibs.

Most Unlikely. I've been to plenty of them, seen us lose 18 goals in just three of them & even though the loss of 18 goals, every one of those three teams would be far more value for money, at today's prices, than what we have today. I didn't only go to the finals, I was at every game leading up to them as well.

After all the accusations regarding the OP, now who's the drama queen? Anyway, your grossly mistaken, if the club did die, it would be due to the people running it By the way, what was that you said, in the very same post about no guilt trips laid? Therefore, FFS, do you actually pay attention to what you write?

[B]What is there in my statement that is "drama queen"? If everyone did decide not to go, the club wouldnt exist. Its not melodramatic, it's just a statment of fact. Your current position is one of the product not being worth the outlay or effort. If everyone who currently goes thinks the same, then there wont be any fans and the club stops.

At school I was lucky enough to be able to regularly wash the cars of people I knew & earn cash, this enabled me to go to every Hibs home & away game, for a fair number of years. Even at that tender age, in the school playground, I never ever felt the need to cast this up to fans, who, for whatever reason, didn't go, mind you, back then the price was a hell of a lot cheaper & the quality far higher, so there wasn't anywhere near the level of vocal dissidents as there are today.

...and we used jumpers for goalposts and the players caught the bus with the fans and smoked 20 Capstan and yadda yadda yadda.What happened to you and what you did back in those golden days is irrelevant. You preferred how football was then to how it is now, and that is fine. As for the vocal dissidence, that is primarily I think down to the internet and the ease of people to fire off an anonymous monologue about how its all so awful and Im not going anymore.

Can I ask you why you are interested in whether Ray goes to the final or not?

The reason I ask is that if you have any justification in calling yourself a Hibs fan, then you would make the ffort to go to a cup final. Even back in Ray's sepia toned days of yore when we could lose 18 goals in three finals and it was all good because the football was better, we got to the sam enumber of finals as we do nowadays. I hope he does go to the game, but it is completely unfathomable to me how he can claim to have an interest in being a Hibby and not go to a Cup Final, assuming he has the ability to do so, which I'm guessing he does.

Ray_
20-03-2012, 07:07 PM
...and we used jumpers for goalposts and the players caught the bus with the fans and smoked 20 Capstan and yadda yadda yadda.What happened to you and what you did back in those golden days is irrelevant. You preferred how football was then to how it is now, and that is fine. As for the vocal dissidence, that is primarily I think down to the internet and the ease of people to fire off an anonymous monologue about how its all so awful and Im not going anymore.

The reason I ask is that if you have any justification in calling yourself a Hibs fan, then you would make the ffort to go to a cup final. Even back in Ray's sepia toned days of yore when we could lose 18 goals in three finals and it was all good because the football was better, we got to the sam enumber of finals as we do nowadays. I hope he does go to the game, but it is completely unfathomable to me how he can claim to have an interest in being a Hibby and not go to a Cup Final, assuming he has the ability to do so, which I'm guessing he does.

The point was the days of yore tale was more to do with the fact that although I was a mere child that went to all the games, even then I had the good grace not to question other kids attendance habits and compare them with my impeccable record of attendance at games or make judgements at their claims of being a hibby.

The fact you find it unbelievable that a hibs fan wouldn't go to a cup final, is a far more negative reflection on you for having such an insular opinion than it does about me. A cup final won't appease the fact that I believe the board wholly culpable for the years of garbage and the high level of disinterest that's hit a large number of the support to the extent that life long supporters feel an apathy towards the club.

For what it's worth, including replays, I've been to fourteen of the fifteen finals we have played in since the one in 1958 & you have the audacity to question whether I am a Hibs fan. :rolleyes:

Twa Cairpets
20-03-2012, 07:32 PM
The point was the days of yore tale was more to do with the fact that although I was a mere child that went to all the games, even then I had the good grace not to question other kids attendance habits and compare them with my impeccable record of attendance at games or make judgements at their claims of being a hibby.

The fact you find it unbelievable that a hibs fan wouldn't go to a cup final, is a far more negative reflection on you for having such an insular opinion than it does about me. A cup final won't appease the fact that I believe the board wholly culpable for the years of garbage and the high level of disinterest that's hit a large number of the support to the extent that life long supporters feel an apathy towards the club.

For what it's worth, including replays, I've been to fourteen of the fifteen finals we have played in since the one in 1958 & [b]you have the audacity to question whether I am a Hibs fan.[\b] :rolleyes:

I think you were. It would be hard to substantiate that claim now. The evidence would suggest otherwise over the last couple of years.

Expressing mild bewilderment at why a hibs fan wouldn't want to go to a cup final is hardly an insular view.

Twa Cairpets
20-03-2012, 08:41 PM
What evidence? Between that last game I went to & now is just under two years & in that time I would have paid around £500 in to Hibs coffers, not too lousy for somebody who has lost interest & anyway you have some opinion of yourself to think you are able or entitled to judge others, the evidence would certainly suggest otherwise?

If I lived in and around Edinburgh then I maybe would have compromised my opinion on going, [if we get there], but not with a 900 mile journey involved.

If you've paid £500 into the club in two years without going to a game then arguably you're more of a fan than me: Fair play to you, I stand corrected and admonished. I thought I read earlier that you'd not spent any money on the team in that time. Different evidence, different conclusion.

I still think your decision not to go to final if we get there is baffling and self-defeating. I'd ask you just for a minute to imagine how you'd react if we actually won the bloody thing.

scuttle
20-03-2012, 10:14 PM
I was referring to the seating arrangements that day.

Why rabbit on about it? Far more important matters of concern to Hibs supporters, since then and now.

Sorry, for a minute there I thought this was a forum all about opinions

BEEJ
20-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Sorry, for a minute there I thought this was a forum all about opinions
You know very well what my original point was about.

You referred on here to an aspect of a previous encounter with our local rivals which is a subject they love to hark back to as a source of ridicule. To have done so is either dubious in motive or simply naive.

scuttle
20-03-2012, 10:29 PM
You know very well what my original point was about.

You referred on here to an aspect of a previous encounter with our local rivals which is a subject they love to hark back to as a source of ridicule. To have done so is either dubious in motive or simply naive.

If your trying to imply that I might be a yam then you my friend are the one who is naive

Ray_
20-03-2012, 11:18 PM
If you've paid £500 into the club in two years without going to a game then arguably you're more of a fan than me: Fair play to you, I stand corrected and admonished. I thought I read earlier that you'd not spent any money on the team in that time. Different evidence, different conclusion.

I still think your decision not to go to final if we get there is baffling and self-defeating. I'd ask you just for a minute to imagine how you'd react if we actually won the bloody thing.

That was including the last game I went to, with my two teenage sons & five English mates and with a trip the the shop before and after the game, it cost a majority of the cash & I have spent very little since, hence only £500 over two years. Not relevant I know, but my English guests spent pretty well in the club shop as well, as have others I brought up before them.

As for the more of a fan nonsense, get real, its not a competition, people do what they want to do & its a pretty desperate state of affairs that some folk would see that as an opportunity to make themselves feel superior.

There is little doubt that winning the cup would be great for the club and fans & it would be a big loss for people like myself, if there was any connection felt with the current team and structure, however, for far too many, the family feel has gone, therefore being there isn't nearly as important as it would have been even a couple of years ago.

The whole point is that myself and far too many others [going by the posts on here], will always be hibs fans but have little or no affinity with the current set up [and that's allowed by the way], hopefully given time it could well change, you never know, the board may even realise the damage that's been caused & like 2004, try to do something to change it. I personally think it is inexcusable that they could once again be stupid & complacent enough to allow this to happen.

BEEJ
20-03-2012, 11:31 PM
If your trying to imply that I might be a yam then you my friend are the one who is naive
And so my main point stands - you should try not to dwell on that particular aspect of the semi-final in question.

It means far more to them than it should do to us.

matty_f
20-03-2012, 11:50 PM

Stand up and be counted was about staying at Easter Road. Get season tickets and we don't have to move was the message. We did it and we're still at Easter Road. A much better Easter Road, and we've won a cup, had European football, and built a training center in that time as well.

I find it genuinely laughable that folk that don't go to games and are quick to tell us they don't, give it the stand up and be counted stuff.

We hit a £900k loss last season trying to back managers that didn't get it right. Yes, the board picked the managers, and they should take responsibility for the failings, however at the time of their respective appointments there was a genuine case for the merits of each manager hired. That bungling individual's managerial appointments had regular top 6 football, a 4th place finish, and a League Cup in recent years. Calderwood was an unmitigated disaster, but the accounts show that the managers were backed.

The problem we've had has been the wholesale rebuilding each time we've had to replace a manager, that need to bring in 5, 6, 7, or 8 players a window means our season ticket money is being stretched further than that of Motherwell or Killie or the likes, who are able to bring in 3 or 4 players. It wouldn't surprise me if those clubs were able to pay more than us for a couple of players as a result.

Phil MaGlass
21-03-2012, 09:29 AM
[/B]

That was including the last game I went to, with my two teenage sons & five English mates and with a trip the the shop before and after the game, it cost a majority of the cash & I have spent very little since, hence only £500 over two years. Not relevant I know, but my English guests spent pretty well in the club shop as well, as have others I brought up before them.

As for the more of a fan nonsense, get real, its not a competition, people do what they want to do & its a pretty desperate state of affairs that some folk would see that as an opportunity to make themselves feel superior.

There is little doubt that winning the cup would be great for the club and fans & it would be a big loss for people like myself, if there was any connection felt with the current team and structure, however, for far too many, the family feel has gone, therefore being there isn't nearly as important as it would have been even a couple of years ago.

The whole point is that myself and far too many others [going by the posts on here], will always be hibs fans but have little or no affinity with the current set up [and that's allowed by the way], hopefully given time it could well change, you never know, the board may even realise the damage that's been caused & like 2004, try to do something to change it. I personally think it is inexcusable that they could once again be stupid & complacent enough to allow this to happen.

hear hear

Ray_
21-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Stand up and be counted was about staying at Easter Road. Get season tickets and we don't have to move was the message. We did it and we're still at Easter Road. A much better Easter Road, and we've won a cup, had European football, and built a training center in that time as well.

I find it genuinely laughable that folk that don't go to games and are quick to tell us they don't, give it the stand up and be counted stuff.

We hit a £900k loss last season trying to back managers that didn't get it right. Yes, the board picked the managers, and they should take responsibility for the failings, however at the time of their respective appointments there was a genuine case for the merits of each manager hired. That bungling individual's managerial appointments had regular top 6 football, a 4th place finish, and a League Cup in recent years. Calderwood was an unmitigated disaster, but the accounts show that the managers were backed.

The problem we've had has been the wholesale rebuilding each time we've had to replace a manager, that need to bring in 5, 6, 7, or 8 players a window means our season ticket money is being stretched further than that of Motherwell or Killie or the likes, who are able to bring in 3 or 4 players. It wouldn't surprise me if those clubs were able to pay more than us for a couple of players as a result.

So “SUABC” was just about remaining at ER? I thought a large part of it was also to deal with the route cause & repair the fractious relationship between the board and fans & get people back to attending games.

The relationship had been suffering for a number of years & it was a large part of the reason we, as a club, failed miserably to fully cash in under McLeish’s team. Guess what, in recent years the relationship has returned to just as bad, if not worse, than it was back then.

As for the recruitment of managers, our record over the last fifteen years have been woeful for hiring a person to fill the most important job in the club. Let’s concentrate on the previous two appointments, fans aren’t privy to interviews, but I’ve done enough in my time to know sheer enthusiasm & being “The Joker”, in the pack, are not enough for a job as big as the Hibs one.

I spent a couple of hours in JH’s company, towards the end of his first season & I got the impression with his remarks and behaviour that he was totally out of his depth. I don’t know if it was the excitement of a last day relegation thriller and a cup final that attracted Petrie & Co, but, if that was the attraction, groundhog day could well be just around the corner, all be it, a couple of years on.

Colin Calderwood should never have been anywhere near the club, Forest fans were aghast at just the thought of him returning as assistant. Agreed, he was a success at Northampton, however, watching the lower championship/league one pre-game warm up, where a back of defenders line up along the box, to head the ball away from high balls punted in from the halfway line, sort of gives you a clue to the standard you get at that level.

Petrie even had the chance to recoup some of the losses in the summer, but his misplaced pride ensured that he saw something that the rest of us didn’t & he kept Calderwood on, a decision that’s already cost us a packet & we may well have not yet witnessed the full extent of that folly.

scoopyboy
21-03-2012, 12:33 PM

After all the accusations regarding the OP, now who's the drama queen? Anyway, your grossly mistaken, if the club did die, it would be due to the people running it [badly] By the way, what was that you said, in the very same post about no guilt trips laid? Therefore, FFS, do you actually pay attention to what you write?

Hey Ray I recall those three games with the 18 goals, all against Celtic. 6-2, 6-1, 6-3 sounds like more of a tennis hammering than three football cup finals. Good teams to watch as you say though.

I didn't wash cars, me and my mates being wee country boys would pick strawberries, gooseberries, sprouts and howk tatties to get our money to watch the Hibs.

Fond memories. Life seemed so much easier back then.

PS - I do realise this is a wee bit off topic.

Keith_M
21-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Hey Ray I recall those three games with the 18 goals, all against Celtic. 6-2, 6-1, 6-3 sounds like more of a tennis hammering than three football cup finals. Good teams to watch as you say though.

I didn't wash cars, me and my mates being wee country boys would pick strawberries, gooseberries, sprouts and howk tatties to get our money to watch the Hibs.

RE Bit in bold: That's called being young :wink:

I financed my early Hibs supporting career by having a few weeks picking Tatties. After that, I had a weekend Window Cleaning round. These young people nowadays don't know they're born!

This could be a thread in its own right :greengrin

BEEJ
21-03-2012, 01:22 PM
RE Bit in bold: That's called being young :wink:

I financed my early Hibs supporting career by having a few weeks picking Tatties. After that, I had a weekend Window Cleaning round. These young people nowadays don't know they're born!

This could be a thread in its own right :greengrin
You were lucky!!!

I had to get up at 3am, scrub the floors with a toothbrush ...... etc etc

:greengrin

Hibrandenburg
21-03-2012, 02:19 PM
You were lucky!!!

Mowing the football fields with nail scissors......

easty
21-03-2012, 02:44 PM
You were lucky!!!

I had to go round Hakim Sar Temsoury's house and whisper "your'e the next big thing" into his ear for the 30 mins before he woke up. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it.

Ray_
21-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Hi Scoopy, great times, in between the first and last game highlighted above, there was of course the 5-3, 2-1 & 1-0 victories, all again against Celtic & with the exception of the 1968 league cup final [played in 69], all included the defeat of Rangers on route :thumbsup:

scoopyboy
21-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi Scoopy, great times, in between the first and last game highlighted above, there was of course the 5-3, 2-1 & 1-0 victories, all again against Celtic & with the exception of the 1968 league cup final [played in 69], all included the defeat of Rangers on route :thumbsup:

Sometimes lose a bit of memory but off the top off my head I recall the 68 final was put back because some bums burnt the stand at Hampden. By the time we got round to playing it we had sold Colin Stein and signed Joe McBride who was cup tied with Celtic in earlier rounds.

I still have all the programes from all those semi finals and finals, I especially enjoyed the Dryburgh Cup tournaments.

Ray_
21-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Sometimes lose a bit of memory but off the top off my head I recall the 68 final was put back because some bums burnt the stand at Hampden. By the time we got round to playing it we had sold Colin Stein and signed Joe McBride who was cup tied with Celtic in earlier rounds.

I still have all the programes from all those semi finals and finals, I especially enjoyed the Dryburgh Cup tournaments.

Yeah your right about about the 68 final, we were 6-0 down before we mounted a comeback :greengrin. I loved the first one we were involved in especially, I think it was Montrose first 4-0 & then Rangers 3-0 and then we put five past Celtic. I remember one of the Sunday's report, "I didn't think there was a team in the World that could have put five past the Scottish Champions Well there was, usual Hibs though, a couple of days later WBA beat us 2-0 at home :greengrin

The Semi's were great as well, for the 68 game at Tynie, Alan McGraw, injured and barely able to stand, got the winner against Dundee in the 2-1 game.

Beating Rangers 2-0 in the replay of the 72 semi, after they beat us 2-1, the year before's semi, in another replay, in both cases, after 0-0 first games. 3-0 in the semi mentioned above, with Rangers having won the CWC three months earlier & Onion taking the mick out of Colin Stein. John Brownlie's stunner in the 1972 league cup semi & winning both section games against Rangers in 74, on the way to that final.

Kojock
21-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Strike it rich with Dryburghs keg heavy, its the heavy thats Scotlands own.:singing:

I have this rattling about in my head now, seem to remember an advert from the late 70s in which the above line was the jingle. :confused:

Remember the 18 yard line continued across the pitch and you could not be offside until you were between the 18 yard line and the bye line

Phil D. Rolls
21-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Strike it rich with Dryburghs keg heavy, its the heavy thats Scotlands own.:singing:

I have this rattling about in my head now, seem to remember an advert from the late 70s in which the above line was the jingle. :confused:

Remember the 18 yard line continued across the pitch and you could not be offside until you were between the 18 yard line and the bye line

:agree: Alan Gordon was camped out on the 18 yard line. would I be right in thinking they also used this in the League Cup when Dundee won it?

WhileTheChief..
21-03-2012, 08:19 PM

I didn't know about this.

How much difference did it make to the game and why / when did it change? Cheers.