PDA

View Full Version : NHC Fabrice Muamba

hfc rd
17-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Just seen on SSN that Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba has just collapsed on the pitch and been rushed to hospital accompanied by manager Owen Coyle & skipper Kevin Davies. Their game against spurs has been called off. Really sad news and I really hope he is ok as he is a very good midfielder and reminds me a bit of Matty Jack. It has been a really sad day off the pitch in football. Scott Severin having to retire because of injury, Fillipe Morais being involved in a car crash and now this.

Monts
17-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Was watching the game. Terrible situation. The players were visibly distraught. Defribulator was used on the pitch.

Really hope he pulls through.

Wouldnt wish that on anyone.

MacBean
17-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Was watching the game, horrible situation and very distressing. Thoughts are with him.

haggisbaws
17-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Just saw a tweet saying ambulance crew confirm they got him breathing again on route to hospital, i really hope he is ok

Hibernia Na Eir
17-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Just saw a tweet saying ambulance crew confirm they got him breathing again on route to hospital, i really hope he is ok

this is more encouraging....

The_Exile
17-03-2012, 06:26 PM
An absolute gent and a popular guy around the league, played at every level for England apart from the senior team. Really hope the lad pulls through, 23 and an athlete, hard grafter, makes no sense and puts it all in perspective.

CallumLaidlaw
17-03-2012, 06:27 PM
BBC journo on twitter -

Unconfirmed reports that Fabrice Muamba's breathing has been restarted by medics in ambulance.

essexhibee
17-03-2012, 06:29 PM
BBC journo on twitter -

Unconfirmed reports that Fabrice Muamba's breathing has been restarted by medics in ambulance.

Really hope this is the case.

andy1875
17-03-2012, 06:31 PM
BBC journo on twitter -

I know it's cliche but really does put football into perspective, I was also watching the game and it was disturbing viewing.

Fingers crossed the lad pulls through.

TornadoHibby
17-03-2012, 06:31 PM
BBC journo on twitter -

Let's hope that, if true, he will recover without lasting damage even if EPL standard football is no longer possible for him!

Hibernia&Alba
17-03-2012, 06:32 PM
I wasn't watching the game. I was online and clicked on the Sky Sports site, where it was reported the match had been abandoned due to serious injury. It was only on here I found out what had happened. I went downstairs and switched on the ESPN coverage. Let's just hope he can make it. It's hard to believe just now.

Aritch
17-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Let's hope that, if true, he will recover without lasting damage even if EPL standard football is no longer possible for him!

If he does pull through, he should have something to fall back on if full-time top level football is out of the question. Got at least one A at A-level.

Sad day indeed.

LancashireHibby
17-03-2012, 06:42 PM
The reports of his breathing restarted are still unconfirmed, just hope it isn't false hope.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Was watching the game, the moment his body went limp as the physio was treating him was very unpleasant, tf the camera quickly panned away, horrible thing to witness tho!

lucky
17-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Was watching the game and it was horrible but ESPN covered it very well showed great respect to him

Hibrandenburg
17-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Never a pleasant thing to witness anywhere, but live on TV on a football pitch is simply horrendous. Hope he pulls through and full credit to the fans at the game for upholding a sense of decency.

hibee_girl
17-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Sky news saying news from the hospital is that he's stable

Gettin' Auld
17-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Good luck to the lad, it looked real bad when he collapsed.

Sir David Gray
I'd like to think that the longer it goes without any bad news being announced suggests that the outcome is going to be positive.

blackpoolhibs

Good news. :pray:

Hibernia&Alba

Well that is good news. Let's hope so.

Barney McGrew
17-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Statement from the hospital says he is now stable :aok:

nonshinyfinish
17-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Here's hoping for a full recovery.

King Paddy
17-03-2012, 07:13 PM

really moved with what happened at the lane. Hope the young lad pulls through.
Oh and Shankley qoute Football in more important than live and death is wide of
mark. Amen.

SouthEnglandHib
17-03-2012, 07:14 PM
He is in a stable condition, sky sports just said

essexhibee
17-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Great news. Really great news.

Hibernia&Alba
17-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Great work from the medical teams at the match, the paramedics and the doctors who got his heart going and then kept him stable. Fingers crossed now for more good news.

TornadoHibby
17-03-2012, 07:22 PM

Just saw that on Sky News!

Great news and hope the lad recovers fully now!

King Paddy
17-03-2012, 07:24 PM

good news thank god.

PapillonVert
17-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Let's all hope everything turns out all right.

Puts you in mind of the tragic Phil O'Donnell situation. I really hope that this time there is a happy outcome.

Good luck, Fabrice, keep fighting, son, we are all rooting for you!

dp00
17-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Was a horrible horrible thing too watch....

ESPN deserve a lot of credit for the way they covered it... With great dignity

Hope he makes a full recovery

Pretty Boy
17-03-2012, 07:35 PM

Brilliant news.

Players have gone on to make a recovery from this before. Evander Sno.being the most recent.

EdinMike
17-03-2012, 08:15 PM
I felt the worst for Fabrice while watching it. So glad to hear he is now stable.

Hopefully he can continue the great work he's done with Bolton this season.

Thoughts and Prayers.

Sir David Gray
17-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Really honestly thought, deep down, at the time that he wouldn't make it.

So glad for him, his family, his team mates and everyone who knows him that he has apparently come through the worst and I hope now that he can go on to make a full recovery. :aok:

HH81
17-03-2012, 08:32 PM

Now changed it to Critically Ill.

Macaroon
17-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Statement released by Bolton, Spurs and SSN saying Fabrice is in a critically ill condition in intensive care in the heart attack ward

frazeHFC
17-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Pull through big man. Sad, sad news. :(

LancashireHibby
17-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm hoping it's just a case of misinterpreting the terminology but the latest statement doesn't make encouraging reading. Of course he's always going to be critical after such an ordeal but I'd have hoped it would be "critical but stable" which I'm sure is the usual phrase? Keep fighting, Fab.

Sir David Gray
17-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Just read the full statement that Bolton have released.

That really doesn't sound good after all.

R'Albin
17-03-2012, 09:05 PM
http://www.bwfc.co.uk/page/General/0,,1004~2663856,00.html

That is very concerning.

Scouse Hibee
17-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Have a close relative in intensive care since the morning of the Ayr game hence missed the game, critically ill all week but has just turned the corner, there's always hope. Believe me we thought there was no hope last weekend but they do a magnificent job in intensive care units, stick in there Fabrice.

Sir David Gray
17-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Have a close relative in intensive care since the morning of the Ayr game hence missed the game, critically ill all week but has just turned the corner, there's always hope. Believe me we thought there was no hope last weekend but they do a magnificent job in intensive care units, stick in there Fabrice.

He's also got a lot going for him in that he is young, fit and strong.

Scouse Hibee
17-03-2012, 09:23 PM
He's also got a lot going for him in that he is young, fit and strong.

:agree:

Pretty Boy
17-03-2012, 09:25 PM

So true.

Had a close friend and a relative admitted to intensive care last year.

One made it and is now fully on the mend, the other sadly didn't pull through. However the care they both received and the support for family given by the nhs was second to none.

He's in good hands so here's hoping his body keeps fighting and he makes it.

Hibercelona
17-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Just seen this when I went onto the BBC website and was shocked. Hope the lad makes a full recovery. All prayers be with him.

hibsbollah
17-03-2012, 09:29 PM
If the worst has already happened, the media will likely not be told for some time. Which is absolutely right of course.

Hibs Class
17-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Just seen this when I went onto the BBC website and was shocked. Hope the lad makes a full recovery. All prayers be with him.

:agree: There's still hope but it's a desperate situation for the boy.

IWasThere2016
17-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I fear for him tbh. Hopefully he pulls through.

17-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Very sad to see, such a young guy. Thoughts and prayers are with him and hoping he pulls through this.

hfc rd
17-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Really hope he can do it. Come on Fabrice, the while world is rooting for you. Stick in there.

bighairyfaeleith
18-03-2012, 05:06 AM
Really hope he can do it. Come on Fabrice, the while world is rooting for you. Stick in there.

no bad news yet this morning, hopefully thats a good thing.

Scooter
18-03-2012, 05:55 AM
Read some where that Owen coyle says next 24hrs are ciritical!

down-the-slope
18-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Out all day and did not hear about this until 10 o'clock news last night...

Hope he survives and the quick medical intervention has prevented long term damage..

I thought from the 'highlights' etc that ESPN deserve great credit for the way the covered what was happening without making it distasteful..very hard.

Also major credit to Spurs fans - so often the mass of us football fans are treated poorly and are given bad press at every opportunity...They were fantastic in the respect and understanding they showed of the seriousness of what was happening - and the Spurs players showed they are on one level just ordinary human beings and not what we often make them out to be.

It also highlights the poor behaviour of a number of players who feign injury at the slightest touch :rolleyes:

Aritch
18-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Good article about his background here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/mar/17/fabrice-muamba-bolton-wanderers

hibsbollah
18-03-2012, 07:43 AM

Thats very moving. What a story and seems to be univrrsally liked human being.

TornadoHibby
18-03-2012, 08:31 AM

Seems like a very decent, respectful and genuinely nice and 'normal' guy!

Keep fighting Fabrice, you deserve to see much more of that life you have earned for yourself!

greenlex
18-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Confirmed as Cardiac arrest. Still in intensive care but stabe this morning but remains critical.

H18sry
19-03-2012, 07:45 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/mar/18/arrest-racist-remarks-twitter-fabrice-muamba

Sylar
19-03-2012, 08:04 AM
I'll never forget watching it happen to Antonio Puerta, playing for Sevilla in 2007 - sadly, he was one example of a player who didn't make it.

There has been a huge rise in the number of footballers who have died as a result of hypertrophic cardiomyopath or venticular failure over the past few decades.

Pretty sure there's a list somewhere as part of research which was undertaken (though I'm sure there will probably also be a list on Wikipedia or the like) which showed a shift in the cause of footballing deaths during playing, moving away from tetanus and infection from sustained injuries, to cardiac related issues. The list of players who have died from a cardiac condition is ridiculous.

It takes such little effort to scan for these easily detectable defects and could save lives, and after so many players have died as a result of undiagnosed cardiac related issues, it really makes you wonder when the respective FAs will implement a screening programme, similar to that from Serie A.

I sincerely hope Fabrice Muamba doesn't join this ever growing list and much like Clive Clarke, who survived due to the immediate response of the paramedics at the ground.

TornadoHibby
19-03-2012, 09:30 AM
I'll never forget watching it happen to Antonio Puerta, playing for Sevilla in 2007 - sadly, he was one example of a player who didn't make it.

There has been a huge rise in the number of footballers who have died as a result of hypertrophic cardiomyopath or venticular failure over the past few decades.

Pretty sure there's a list somewhere as part of research which was undertaken (though I'm sure there will probably also be a list on Wikipedia or the like) which showed a shift in the cause of footballing deaths during playing, moving away from tetanus and infection from sustained injuries, to cardiac related issues. The list of players who have died from a cardiac condition is ridiculous.

It takes such little effort to scan for these easily detectable defects and could save lives, and after so many players have died as a result of undiagnosed cardiac related issues, it really makes you wonder when the respective FAs will implement a screening programme, similar to that from Serie A.

I sincerely hope Fabrice Muamba doesn't join this ever growing list and much like Clive Clarke, who survived due to the immediate response of the paramedics at the ground.

From the early reports of today and yesterday's "expert" views on possible outcomes, it appears that the risk of oxygen deprivation to the brain during the apparent two hours when he wasn't breathing may be significant! :confused:

CPR coupled with mouth to mouth breathing started within a minute or two of his cardiac arrest happening will have given Muamba the best chance of coming out of this situation with a good outcome! :agree:

We can only all hope and pray that he will come through it well even if playing football at EPL level might not be possible for him again! :agree:

Golden Bear
19-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Excellent news - Fabrice is now starting to show signs of improvement.

sesoim
19-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Excellent news - Fabrice is now starting to show signs of improvement.

Yip, not out of danger, but better news.

Hibernia&Alba
19-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Well this is good news. Fingers crossed.

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Showing signs of improvement is great news. We are all praying for you. :pray:

frazeHFC
19-03-2012, 03:13 PM
"Muamba showing small signs of improvement. His heart is now beating without help of medication, moving arms & legs"

This incident has really hit me how it could happen to anyone just like that. Hope he makes more progress and eventually recovers fully.

Pretty Boy
19-03-2012, 03:15 PM
More good news.

Without wishing to sound insensitive as I don't intend that at all, it would be a real feel good story if he pulls through.

NorthNorfolkHFC
19-03-2012, 04:42 PM
talking again now apparently, good news.

TornadoHibby
19-03-2012, 04:44 PM
"Muamba showing small signs of improvement. His heart is now beating without help of medication, moving arms & legs"

This incident has really hit me how it could happen to anyone just like that. Hope he makes more progress and eventually recovers fully.

A full recovery would be what everyone interested in football and therefore this (so far) tragic story would want for this guy who hasn't had life too easy but has been able to make progress out of adversity! :agree:

This story has become almost a "must read" item for any sports fan and, I imagine, will continue to be so for some time to come yet! :agree:

NorthNorfolkHFC
19-03-2012, 04:49 PM
unsure if he will play football again, with this kind of cario defect he will (if recovery is good) be advised to refrain from alot of heart rate raising activities.

blackpoolhibs
19-03-2012, 04:49 PM

Fantastic. :top marks

TornadoHibby
19-03-2012, 05:01 PM
unsure if he will play football again, with this kind of cario defect he will (if recovery is good) be advised to refrain from alot of heart rate raising activities.

I would think that he would take a full normal life over one which might involve a recurrence of Saturday's awful circumstances without thinking too hard about it evenalthough he is a very young lad! :agree:

If he ever plays football (safely in the medical sense) at EP level again I would think that would be a huge bonus for him and everyone who knows him either as a friend, a family member or a player who they watch regularly would think similarly too I imagine! :agree:

frazeHFC
19-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Some amazing gestures to Muamba being shown. Samba, Eto and Roberto Carlos are hiring a private jet to visit him, and the Sunderland squad travelled to the Reebok to lay this signed shirt.

https://p.twimg.com/AoXiEzHCQAEgTAB.jpg

ancienthibby
19-03-2012, 05:15 PM
I would think that he would take a full normal life over one which might involve a recurrence of Saturday's awful circumstances without thinking too hard about it evenalthough he is a very young lad! :agree:

If he ever plays football (safely in the medical sense) at EP level again I would think that would be a huge bonus for him and everyone who knows him either as a friend, a family member or a player who they watch regularly would think similarly too I imagine! :agree:

I think you are posting here more in hope than in knowledge.

This poor lad has suffered a debilitating medical crisis which is highly likely to leave him somewhat impaired, if not substantially!

His whole system has been traumitized, and no-one yet knows what has happened to his cognitive functions.

We all hope and pray for as full a recovery as he can have, but restoration to a playing capacity is not to be considered at this stage.

(Oh, and I have had two 'mini-strokes')

TornadoHibby
19-03-2012, 05:29 PM

I think you are posting here more in hope than in knowledge.

This poor lad has suffered a debilitating medical crisis which is highly likely to leave him somewhat impaired, if not substantially!

His whole system has been traumitized, and no-one yet knows what has happened to his cognitive functions.

We all hope and pray for as full a recovery as he can have, but restoration to a playing capacity is not to be considered at this stage.

(Oh, and I have had two 'mini-strokes')

I think that you'll find if you read what I have posted throughout the last couple of days about Fabrice Muamba that I have fully understood the enormity of what he has suffered on Saturday evening and what the likelihood is of him ever doing anything in the physical sense at least close to what most of us would consider "normal" let alone playing top level football! :confused:

Could you let me know what it was I posted "in hope rather than in knowledge" that made you think that I had done that as I just don't see it myself tbh!? :confused: :dunno:

I'm not sure if you are any more "qualified" to opine "medically" than you seem to think that I have been doing on this thread! :confused:

Pretty Boy
19-03-2012, 07:22 PM
BBC now reporting he can 'recognise family' and 'answer questions appropriately'.

More good news.

Scouse Hibee
19-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Some amazing gestures to Muamba being shown. Samba, Eto and Roberto Carlos are hiring a private jet to visit him, and the Sunderland squad travelled to the Reebok to lay this signed shirt.

https://p.twimg.com/AoXiEzHCQAEgTAB.jpg

The football fraternity has shown how close it can pull together when "one of its own" is involved.

SaulGoodman
19-03-2012, 08:21 PM
I think that you'll find if you read what I have posted throughout the last couple of days about Fabrice Muamba that I have fully understood the enormity of what he has suffered on Saturday evening and what the likelihood is of him ever doing anything in the physical sense at least close to what most of us would consider "normal" let alone playing top level football! :confused:

Could you let me know what it was I posted "in hope rather than in knowledge" that made you think that I had done that as I just don't see it myself tbh!? :confused: :dunno:

I'm not sure if you are any more "qualified" to opine "medically" than you seem to think that I have been doing on this thread! :confused:

Come on, let's not turn this thread into another Hibs.net argument thread.

(not saying it's your fault, just think we should leave it)

TornadoHibby
19-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Come on, let's not turn this thread into another Hibs.net argument thread.

(not saying it's your fault, just think we should leave it)

Confucious say "It's very easy to find fault, that's why there are so many critics!" :wink:

If someone is prepared to highlight an apparent fault that a poster has made, it is perfectly reasonable for the poster to ask that person to explain themselves with some detail. That's all I've done Mr Kissinger! :wink: :greengrin

It's called debate I think! :greengrin

By the way, I'm absolutely delighted that Muamba seems to be making progress when that didn't seem possible for a while on Saturday night based on the media reports at the time! :agree: