PDA

View Full Version : Metro - Brian Kennedy, Rangers back-up bid

aberhibsfc
16-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Reading the today's Metro, I was gobsmacked to read that Brian Kennedy is putting together a backup bid for Rangers should the 'Blue Knights' consortium bid fails to succeed.

He said that as a Hibs fan he has no desire to own Rangers but couldn't stand by and let them go out of business. Why would anyone other than a Rangers fan want to pump money into that lot. Especially given how much of a boost investment would provide our club, more so when there is only one OF team to compete with.

It's typical of the OF to garner this kind of support from another's fan base. It's a sycophantic gesture. I wouldn't mind Rangers continuing to exist but they must be culpable and pay some price for their previous exuberance at the cost of other clubs success who didn't rack up debt for trophies. No-one other than their own should be bending over backwards to save them, believe me, they wouldn't do it for anyone else, they'd see it as more money for their pot. Don't forget the financial difficulty they placed on Dundee when they diddled them out of, I think it was Kishnishvilli (apologies for the spelling).

Keith_M
16-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Did he definitely say he was a Hibs fan? It's just that there's been a lot of talk on here lately over whether or not that was true.

Oh and do you have any online link to this article?

I found a link (http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/893228-graeme-souness-could-make-shock-return-to-rangers-as-manager) about getting Graeme Souness involved but not your story. Still looking

I think the key is that he's a businessman. He must think there's a way he can either make money or raise his profile out of getting involved.

blackpoolhibs
16-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Souness wouldn't touch them if he had to work with a small budget, and if they lose this fight thats exactly whats going to happen.

Seveno
16-03-2012, 10:41 AM
One massive PR stunt if you ask me.

aberhibsfc
16-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Definately in print on today's Metro, cannot find online.

Here's a link to a similar article in the Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2115761/Rangers-bid-deadline-arrives.html

johnrebus
16-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Did he definitely say he was a Hibs fan? It's just that there's been a lot of talk on here lately over whether or not that was true.

Oh and do you have any online link to this article?

I found a link (http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/893228-graeme-souness-could-make-shock-return-to-rangers-as-manager) about getting Graeme Souness involved but not your story. Still looking

I think the key is that he's a businessman. He must think there's a way he can either make money or raise his profile out of getting involved.

Kennedy is from Edinburgh, you would think that someone on this board would remember him or someone else who knew him to be a Hibbie?

Wish I could remember more about his interest in us a few years back. My overall memory is that STF did not take him seriously?

Mind you, considering how well he did with Stockport County, perhaps he would be a perfect match for the Huns.....,

:cb

CropleyWasGod
16-03-2012, 10:55 AM
IMO, it's irrelevant what team he supports. He's a businessman first, a fan second, which is the way it should be.

Think...

Kenny Waugh trying to take over Hearts

David Murray taking over Rangers

Wallace Mercer taking over Hearts

None of them taking over their first football loves. All of them smart businessmen.

Seveno
16-03-2012, 11:02 AM
IMO, it's irrelevant what team he supports. He's a businessman first, a fan second, which is the way it should be.

Think...

Kenny Waugh trying to take over Hearts

David Murray taking over Rangers

Wallace Mercer taking over Hearts

None of them taking over their first football loves. All of them smart businessmen.

The Three Spivs. Sounds like a good music hall act.

Part/Time Supporter
16-03-2012, 11:09 AM
I think his comments to the effect of he won't bid if anyone else does is code for he's only interested if it's going (very) cheap. ie low sale price and little debt

rubber mal
16-03-2012, 11:16 AM

:agree:

johnrebus
16-03-2012, 11:21 AM

Prefer to think that he is a Hibbie and is just wasting everyones time for a laugh.

:devil:

blackpoolhibs
16-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Prefer to think that he is a Hibbie and is just wasting everyones time for a laugh.

:devil:

:greengrin Now thats would be funny.

Keith_M
16-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Definately in print on today's Metro, cannot find online.

Here's a link to a similar article in the Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2115761/Rangers-bid-deadline-arrives.html

I notice that the article calls him a Hibernian fan but I've still not seen a quote from him anywhere to that effect.

Mind, it would be funny if his intention was to buy them, rename them Glasgow Hibernian and have them playing in Green :greengrin

Caversham Green
16-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Kennedy is from Edinburgh, you would think that someone on this board would remember him or someone else who knew him to be a Hibbie?

Wish I could remember more about his interest in us a few years back. My overall memory is that STF did not take him seriously?

Mind you, considering how well he did with Stockport County, perhaps he would be a perfect match for the Huns.....,

:cb

I have some notes from the AGM from 1998 that suggest his bid was taken seriously. According to the board the reason the sale fell through was BK's failure to produce a business plan showing his future ideas for the club. They also said that "although the deal was dead Brian Kennedy was undoubtedly a Hibs fan. The notes also state that they had invited BK to join the board, but he was "only interested in total control".

degenerated
16-03-2012, 12:03 PM

reading between the lines it says " i can neither afford nor want rangers, however i would like to see my name in the press" :agree:

JeMeSouviens
16-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Some background (from the ever reliable Sunday Mail but still ...):

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+Judge%3A+He%27s+238th+richest+in+Britain+but+w eatherseal+won%27t+fix+a...-a0152486516

CropleyWasGod
16-03-2012, 12:48 PM
I have some notes from the AGM from 1998 that suggest his bid was taken seriously. According to the board the reason the sale fell through was BK's failure to produce a business plan showing his future ideas for the club. They also said that "although the deal was dead Brian Kennedy was undoubtedly a Hibs fan. The notes also state that they had invited BK to join the board, but he was "only interested in total control".

Spot-on, Cav. Now that you mention it, that is the reason it didn't go anywhere.

Caversham Green
16-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Just a thought, given his involvement with Stockport County, would Brian Kennedy be considered a 'fit and proper person' to bid for the Huns?

ancient hibee
16-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Brian Kennedy doesn't need any publicity.

CropleyWasGod
16-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Just a thought, given his involvement with Stockport County, would Brian Kennedy be considered a 'fit and proper person' to bid for the Huns?

Do the FA have any issues with him?

NAE NOOKIE
16-03-2012, 05:56 PM
WELL !!!

Edinburgh born Brian Kennedy wanting to save the huns and Edinburgh businessman David Murray pumping millions into them over the years to win cup and leagues at the expense of amoungst others Hibs and the Yams.

They should have the right to live and work in Edinburgh removed for all time ,,,,,, ****ing traitors !!!

snooky
16-03-2012, 05:58 PM

Oh the irony if he buys them.
(i.e. substitute BK with CW)

aberhibsfc
17-03-2012, 03:41 PM
WELL !!!

Edinburgh born Brian Kennedy wanting to save the huns and Edinburgh businessman David Murray pumping millions into them over the years to win cup and leagues at the expense of amoungst others Hibs and the Yams.

They should have the right to live and work in Edinburgh removed for all time ,,,,,, ****ing traitors !!!

:agree:

Professional players is one thing, but multi-millionaires chosing to invest in their own teams competition cannot for all intents and purposes call them fans of their original team.

Business, PR or not, if anyone seriously invested in any Scottish Clubs and were able to break the OF stranglehold on silverware would likely generate a lot more PR and boost the reputation of our league. Possibly like a pack of cards others with money may see this is an investment and a far cheaper and easier way to achieve access to the Champions League.

basehibby
17-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Got to say I'm utterly perplexed by this guy's stance - why all the sympathy for this club who would by their own admission have happilly stuck two fingers up at the whole of Scottish Football as long as it served their own self centred aims - fluck Rangers and all who sail in her!