PDA

View Full Version : Stanton for Scottish Football Hall of Fame- Campaign?

superfurryhibby
16-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Having read the thread on Arthur Duncan and then taking a look at who has been inducted, I am a bit surprised that Pat Stanton has never been nominated. As a player who was acknowledged widely as one the best of his generation, won a sportswriter player of the year award, and who made such a positive contribution to our game, at club and intrnational level, this is nothing short of scandalous.

I would suggest that we Hibees use the nomination opportunity and try and ensure that Mr Stanton is inducted in the next intake.

As an aside, having taken a good look at past inductees, most of them I have no quibbles about. I do wonder why Terry Butcher was given this accolade. He didn't have a long career here and was hardly an exemplery figure. Equally, Derek Johnstone. Whilst he is perhaps more worthy than Butcher, he played only 250 games for the Currants in a career that stretched for around 14 years and represented Scotland only 14 times.

All Hibs fans should try and do their bit, get online and get nominating!!!

neilmartinrocks
16-03-2012, 12:41 PM
couldnt agree more about Pat Stanton
in regard to butcher being in it a joke.
:flag::flag:

Dashing Bob S
16-03-2012, 12:47 PM
couldnt agree more about Pat Stanton
in regard to butcher being in it a joke.
:flag::flag:

Derek Johnstone v Pat Stanton, the archetypal Rolf Harris-Rembrandt argument.

It's these sort of discrepancies, so rife in Scottish football, that makes me hope, even more than for the bigotry of their fans, that Rangers become extinct. It also makes me believe that the game here thoroughly deserves its slow death.

neilmartinrocks
16-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Derek Johnstone v Pat Stanton, the archetypal Rolf Harris-Rembrandt argument.

It's these sort of discrepancies, so rife in Scottish football, that makes me hope, even more than for the bigotry of their fans, that Rangers become extinct. It also makes me believe that the game here thoroughly deserves its slow death.

if Stanton had played for the huns or the tims instead of Hibs and the sheep...........:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
16-03-2012, 01:07 PM
if Stanton had played for the huns or the tims instead of Hibs and the sheep...........:greengrin

sir patrick of stanton DID play for sellick, and won at least one league winners medal i think, and sir ecky ferguson's assistant at aberdeen

neilmartinrocks
16-03-2012, 01:51 PM
sir patrick of stanton DID play for sellick, and won at least one league winners medal i think, and sir ecky ferguson's assistant at aberdeen

12 years for us less than 2 for celtic and i forgot he was assistant at the sheep (my bad)

ALF TUPPER
16-03-2012, 05:30 PM

I Went home from school in tears the day i heard my hero had signed for Celtc. Despite that he is and will always be a Hibs legend for me.

A great campaign. I'll sign up for that.

GGTTH

stu in nottingham
16-03-2012, 06:40 PM
If Pat had played his whole career for an old firm club he'd have won a hundred caps. It's a disgrace and emphasises the sickness and bias in Scottish football.

Stantons Angel
17-03-2012, 12:12 AM
If Pat had played his whole career for an old firm club he'd have won a hundred caps. It's a disgrace and emphasises the sickness and bias in Scottish football.

I agree wholeheartedly with your summing up!

The man was majestic and if he had been in the hoops earlier in his career he would have won caps galore. Instead he chose to play in the real green and white instead.

It really annoys me that this sort of bias is still rife in Scottish football it stifles talent because the individual does not play in Glasgow!

I was sitting listening to him talking about an old team mate of his tonight and as he spoke it confirmed to me just how knowledgeable he is about his sport. In a time when the word "Legend" is thrown around so lightly he is a TRUE Hibs man and a legend in his time.

I would urge you all to get on site and have him installed in the hall of fame.

ggtth!

erin go bragh
17-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Having read the thread on Arthur Duncan and then taking a look at who has been inducted, I am a bit surprised that Pat Stanton has never been nominated. As a player who was acknowledged widely as one the best of his generation, won a sportswriter player of the year award, and who made such a positive contribution to our game, at club and intrnational level, this is nothing short of scandalous.

I would suggest that we Hibees use the nomination opportunity and try and ensure that Mr Stanton is inducted in the next intake.

As an aside, having taken a good look at past inductees, most of them I have no quibbles about. I do wonder why Terry Butcher was given this accolade. He didn't have a long career here and was hardly an exemplery figure. Equally, Derek Johnstone. Whilst he is perhaps more worthy than Butcher, he played only 250 games for the Currants in a career that stretched for around 14 years and represented Scotland only 14 times.

All Hibs fans should try and do their bit, get online and get nominating!!!
:agree:
How do i go about nominating Sir Pat ? Been on the Hall of Fame site ,but could not see any link to nominate.

How Butcher can be in it before Stanton :grr:
ggtth

MCameron
17-03-2012, 08:17 AM
:agree:
How do i go about nominating Sir Pat ? Been on the Hall of Fame site ,but could not see any link to nominate.
:
ggtth

There's an email address on this page ==> http://www.scottishfootballmuseum.org.uk/hall-of-fame/

PeeJay
17-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Quite astounding to think that Pat Stanton - a fantastic player, a super role model and the captain of one of Scotland's finest football teams - is not in this Scottish Football Hall of Fame while Larsson and Butcher and David Narey get in ... who are they kidding? The fact players of Stanton's calibre are missing speaks volumes about the reasoning behind this whole charade...

Purple & Green
17-03-2012, 03:30 PM
While the choice of Larsson and Butcher is contentious - more so Butcher, I think Narey thoroughly merits his place.

Argylehibby
17-03-2012, 04:41 PM
A bit confusing but this link http://www.quaydigitalscotland.co.uk/sites/events/a_hall_of_fame/nomination_form.html is supposed to be for 2012 nominations but has the closing date as 2011. looks like they didnt updaate he form correctly from last years effort.

erin go bragh
17-03-2012, 05:09 PM
There's an email address on this page ==> http://www.scottishfootballmuseum.org.uk/hall-of-fame/
Nominated King Paddy .

ggtth

sesoim
17-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Pat should definitely have won a lot more caps, and I agree he would have won more had he played in Glasgow for years. This wouldn't make up for it, but it would be belated recognition of the great player he was, and nice guy he is.

ancient hibee
17-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Remember to add Joe Baker-how Butcher was nominated ahead of him is bewildering.