PDA

View Full Version : Premier League Chairman in rant

hibsbollah
14-03-2012, 06:33 PM
thought this was quite funny, resonant of the worst kind of English establishment arrogance, topped off with falling into a fountain. The English George Fowkes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17374070

yeezus.
14-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Pfft.

English football is treated as if it is the best thing to ever grace planet earth. I'd rather watch the SPL any day - matter of principle. :hibees

Hibercelona
14-03-2012, 06:58 PM
thought this was quite funny, resonant of the worst kind of English establishment arrogance, topped off with falling into a fountain. The English George Fowkes?

I certainly hope not. Theres no way this island could support 2 of them without sinking.

greenginger
14-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Noticed they showed the Liverpool V Everton game live last night in opposition to the Champions League games which is against the EUFA agreement.

They probably thought since it was just a bunch of Jonny Foreigners playing the rules did'nt apply to them.

neilmartinrocks
14-03-2012, 07:08 PM
"It started in Sheffield 150 years ago. We started the game and wrote the rules and took it to the world."

i may be wrong but isnt the SFA older than the fa?
a pretty arrogant name by the way as they assumed that the Scottish and Welsh FA's would simply fold and join with the english one?

im wrong our cup is older but their assoc. came first.

MountcastleHibs
14-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Noticed they showed the Liverpool V Everton game live last night in opposition to the Champions League games which is against the EUFA agreement.

They probably thought since it was just a bunch of Jonny Foreigners playing the rules did'nt apply to them.

The SFA have already complained because the English FA allowed the Chelsea-Birmingham cup replay to be shown on tele, at the same time as Champion's League games. Think they're gonna find themselves in a bit of bother.

basehibby
14-03-2012, 07:33 PM
]"It started in Sheffield 150 years ago. We started the game and wrote the rules and took it to the world."
[/B]
i may be wrong but isnt the SFA older than the fa?
a pretty arrogant name by the way as they assumed that the Scottish and Welsh FA's would simply fold and join with the english one?

im wrong our cup is older but their assoc. came first.

:faf: aaaah - what a complete fudley

Don't think the SFA is older but evidence emerged recently which proved that football as we know it was codified here in Scotland some time before it "started in Sheffield" as claimed by this mad :trumpet:.

Even if he was right - what a complete erse claiming that it was "stolen" by UEFA and FIFA. Got to say that this guy Richards makes Fatty Foulkes sound like a fountain of considered thought and wisdom - if he wasn't pished then he definately needs to wear a hat in that arabian sun!

givescotlandfreedom
14-03-2012, 07:34 PM
It's funny hearing him ranting about foreigners stealing the game. How many of his Premier League clubs play 11 Englishmen in a fixture? Has it even happened before?

yeezus.
14-03-2012, 07:37 PM
It's funny hearing him ranting about foreigners stealing the game. How many of his Premier League clubs play 11 Englishmen in a fixture? Has it even happened before?

Well said, the English premiership isn't very English.. and that doesn't bother me but it's a bit hypocritical for the English FA to then complain!

Renfrew_Hibby
15-03-2012, 08:31 AM
England gave the game to the world?... hmmmmm.....
Isn't it well documented that in fact much of what we know as modern football was actually inspired by Scots. Things from having a crossbar on the posts to the penalty box and spot. Also formations, tactics and even passing and moving were concepts we had!
As well as all that Scots took the game to all corners of the globe and Scots are noticable in the formation of many to clubs around the world and even many FA's such as the FA's of both Argentina and Brazil. Sure i read about it a while back.

Kato
15-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Isn't it well documented that in fact much of what we know as modern football was actually inspired by Scots. Things from having a crossbar on the posts to the penalty box and spot. Also formations, tactics and even passing and moving were concepts we had!

True. When Queen's Park tipped up for a game in England and started passing the ball bewteen each other they were accused of cheating.

As well as all that Scots took the game to all corners of the globe and Scots are noticable in the formation of many to clubs around the world and even many FA's such as the FA's of both Argentina and Brazil. Sure i read about it a while back.

...and loads of English guys as well. British managers were sought after world wide to set up factories and such and took football with them, as did the armed forces. Many foreign clubs were set by guys from Lancashire as that area had manaufacturing expertise which was looked upon as the best.

Football wasn't stolen it was shared.

The Edinburgh Footeball Club had codified rules in the 1830's (or 40s') - one of which was "No Catholics Allowed". :rolleyes:

robinp
15-03-2012, 12:04 PM

According to the BBC - there were no british teams playing in Europe so there was no rule breaking, the Chelsea Birmingham game however is a totally different kettle of fish.

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Just typical English arrogance and just another fud that thinks because they "won" the world cup eons ago the whole world revolves around them,

Bless

WellingtonHibby
15-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Best thing is, after the rant he popped off for dinner with the premiseship bigwigs at some s****y place and promptly fell in the pool on the way. Grade A trumpet.

joebakerforever
15-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I wish the SFA would follow the English lead in ignoring the diktats of the Swiss Gnomes as to when you can play domestic matches.

There is far too much power in various sports concentrated in the Land of the Cuckoo Clock where parasitic blazers like Blatter wine & dine at the expense of Joe Public.

Stonewall
15-03-2012, 01:25 PM
:faf: aaaah - what a complete fudley

Don't think the SFA is older but evidence emerged recently which proved that football as we know it was codified here in Scotland some time before it "started in Sheffield" as claimed by this mad :trumpet:.

Even if he was right - what a complete erse claiming that it was "stolen" by UEFA and FIFA. Got to say that this guy Richards makes Fatty Foulkes sound like a fountain of considered thought and wisdom - if he wasn't pished then he definately needs to wear a hat in that arabian sun!

Are you sure about this? As I understand it the main English private schools all played footbal but to different rules. Association football was codiified in England as an amalgam of the rules to enble the schools to play against each other and have a common set of rules to play under once they had left school and in the Universities.

There were loads of other street football games played but they were just rammies bearing little resemblance to Football and of course rugby was widely played.

As for English arrogance in calling themselves the FA: the English invented the game in the modern form so there was no need to distinguish the FA in England from that in any other country as there were no other football associations and no expectations that there would be any.

Association football may be the working mans game but its origins were in the English private schools.

sesoim
15-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Just imagine if somebody HAD copyrighted football all these years ago. His family would be the richest people on earth now.

Twa Cairpets
15-03-2012, 06:18 PM
I read a good book called "Beastly Fury - The Strange Birth of British Football" by Richard Saunders - interesting stuff for anyone interested. Fairly conclusive that it grew out of English Public Schools.

I wish the SFA would follow the English lead in ignoring the diktats of the Swiss Gnomes as to when you can play domestic matches.

There is far too much power in various sports concentrated in the Land of the Cuckoo Clock where parasitic blazers like Blatter wine & dine at the expense of Joe Public.

One good thing the SFA have taken a lead on for the past year or so (and finally got a resul ton) is moving to 5 subs being usable for u19s and u21s. Opposition to this was from UEFA and the pressure has been kept up to where they are now allowing Scotland to run the 5-sub rule as an experiment for two years.

Hibrandenburg
18-03-2012, 07:55 AM
He does have a point about FIFA taking over the game though. Handbags at 12, diving and trying to get fellow players booked were never part of the British game before FIFA started laying down the law.

hibsbollah
18-03-2012, 07:59 AM
He does have a point about FIFA taking over the game though. Handbags at 12, diving and trying to get fellow players booked were never part of the British game before FIFA started laying down the law.

You can't have watched Franny Lee or Kenny Dalglish in their prime then :greengrin:

Bostonhibby
18-03-2012, 08:38 AM

Quite funny really, always been a bit of an erky, what amazes me is how these bodies, which are on the face of it quite important sounding and influencing big spends always seem to be run by guys that most bowling clubs wouldn't put in charge of the meat raffle.

In the case of this twat, I suspect the electric soup caused his guard to slip, and thats when you find out what they are really thinking!

As to the remark itself - didn't "we" discover Australia as well, for example? if so he should maybe pop over there and explain it all to them.

Bostonhibby
18-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Oh, and to answer the other point - class is enduring and I think that any authority on what a world class erse looks like will argue that when it comes to slavering, about turning, sheer consistency of drunkenness and general ingratiation, not to mention brass neck the PL chairman is a mere amateur - there is only one Georgie Foulkes. There is a football club that tends to attract more than its fair share of his type............

BEEJ
18-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Quite funny really, always been a bit of an erky, what amazes me is how these bodies, which are on the face of it quite important sounding and influencing big spends always seem to be run by guys that most bowling clubs wouldn't put in charge of the meat raffle.
:agree: And one wonders what the justification was for his knighthood.

In the case of this twat, I suspect the electric soup caused his guard to slip, and thats when you find out what they are really thinking!
He's in a dry country, so probably not.

And if he was in fact sober, that makes his whole performance even more alarming. :greengrin