PDA

View Full Version : Good Initiative from Hibs

PaulSmith
14-03-2012, 04:13 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120314/off-to-a-flyer_2262950_2658825

Long commented that we don't do enough to get minorities through the door so well done Hibs!

frazeHFC
14-03-2012, 04:16 PM
:thumbsup:

edinburghhibee
14-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Always thought it would be a good idea to get the wider community involved in hibs. I thought it would have been in the form of getting a few Polish teams over for some friendlies pre season there are massive numbers of Polish folk working in and around edinburgh, some of them must enjoy watching football... when we eventually start playing that is.

At The Edge
14-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Always thought it would be a good idea to get the wider community involved in hibs. I thought it would have been in the form of getting a few Polish teams over for some friendlies pre season there are massive numbers of Polish folk working in and around edinburgh, some of them must enjoy watching football... when we eventually start playing that is.

There was a new Polish Hibs flag on Sat at Ayr, said Poles on tour, pretty big as well, so i hope that they are starting to come along and enjoying the Hibs way!
:pfgwa

Hibby Kay-Yay
14-03-2012, 04:36 PM

An estimated 8,000 Polish people live in the Leith area.

Westie1875
14-03-2012, 04:42 PM
I received one of these through the door yesterday and was suitably impressed, a very good idea!

monktonharp
14-03-2012, 04:43 PM
An estimated 8,000 Polish people live in the Leith area.hmmm, what section of Leith can we call little Poland then? Kirkgate, Halmyre, or the Bannana flats?.

monktonharp
14-03-2012, 04:46 PM
I received one of these through the door yesterday and was suitably impressed, a very good idea!it looks like an excellent idea:aok:

pentlando
14-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Good to see Murray out posting some. I think that if the players are only training in the morning then their afternoons could be used doing stuff like this, going round schools, taking P.E. lessons etc to try drum up some support. After all, the more fans we have the better for them. Can you imagine being 8 or 9 and you get Garry O'Connor and Leigh Griffiths along helping take your class. We need to get younger fans more excited about Hibs, and seeing players in the flesh can only help this. I remember being 13/14 and Riordan came along one Sunday and presented me with an award when I played for Cramond, made my day.

Rossco1875
14-03-2012, 04:52 PM

now that would be an idea and a half :agree:

would be certain to get petries tash twitching if we were to get a few polish teams over for a preseason friendly cup which i think would be heavily attended:aok:

Hibs90
14-03-2012, 05:03 PM

Ridiculous.

:devil::tin hat:

007 Mickey Weir
14-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I think there is around 400,001 Hibs fans in the area .......:wink:

But seriously, good idea by Hibs.

givescotlandfreedom
14-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Good to see Murray out posting some. I think that if the players are only training in the morning then their afternoons could be used doing stuff like this, going round schools, taking P.E. lessons etc to try drum up some support. After all, the more fans we have the better for them. Can you imagine being 8 or 9 and you get Garry O'Connor and Leigh Griffiths along helping take your class. We need to get younger fans more excited about Hibs, and seeing players in the flesh can only help this. I remember being 13/14 and Riordan came along one Sunday and presented me with an award when I played for Cramond, made my day.

You wouldn't get Garry out the canteen!

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Way before time IMO but well done Hibs.

Considering the diverse community in Edinburgh its a shame that there are usually more black people on the pitch than in the stands.

Hibernia Na Eir
14-03-2012, 05:46 PM
It's a good idea indeed. I saw that very photoshoot yesterday.
at least Hibs are trying to get minority groups into Easter rd, unlike that lot who have the Orange Lodge wanting to march past the PBS banging their drums with their bowler hats and Sunday suits.
hail the Poles!!

bingo70
14-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Be a shame if the campaign works but the locals cannae buy tickets cos their not on the database!

Now where's that devil smiley?, seriously though, good to see the club trying

Sas_The_Hibby
14-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Way before time IMO but well done Hibs.

Considering the diverse community in Edinburgh its a shame that there are usually more black people on the pitch than in the stands.

How much longer do you think they should have waited then? :greengrin

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant "not before time"! :wink:

down-the-slope
14-03-2012, 06:10 PM
not before time..but a good idea.

Me and meny others have often stated taht more needed to be done to engage with the New Leithers but also to take advantage of the short break city destination Edinburgh is. Its madness to see people turned away from Cat A games due to 'not being on data base' when staduim is empty...surely a on the database or 'production of non UK passport' system could suffice - most people carry ID cards / passports with them when away...so should be easy.

i would go further...If I renew my ST....I would rather give the freebie OF tickets to one of the New Leithers who may be encouraged to pin their colours to the Hibs mast...rather than give them to someone who is already apparently a supporter...but who never bothers to go / buy tickets for themself...

I wonder if we could get the club to co-ordinate the distribution of such tickets 'gifted back' :confused:

bingo70
14-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Don't want to sound negative about it as it was a good gesture but looking at it again I'm wondering if we've missed a trick with these leaflets.

There's no details of fixtures, no price lists and no promotions, if they were putting these out anyway why not offer some sort of 'locals discount', bring the leaflet in and get discount off tickets or the strip or something.

All they've basically done is remind folk hibs are here and everyone knew that already.

Sorry for putting a negative slant on something positive but I really think it could have been done better

weonlywon6-2
14-03-2012, 06:31 PM

there was an estimated 40,000 polish nationals in Edinburgh in 2000

and to be honest,its hard to hear a Scottish accent in Leith these days :greengrin

Malthibby
14-03-2012, 07:39 PM
A local team for local people..............
GG

Hibbyradge
14-03-2012, 07:54 PM
It's a start and I'm pleased they've done this, but I hope they plan to repeat it every month or so.

Although it will raise some awareness, one solitary leaflet won't do much to increase attendances.

Alex Trager
14-03-2012, 08:01 PM
There was a new Polish Hibs flag on Sat at Ayr, said Poles on tour, pretty big as well, so i hope that they are starting to come along and enjoying the Hibs way!
:pfgwa
Na that has been in 'motion' for quite a few years, not sure what year it is on the flag but i hazard a guess it is 2004, anyway long story short they used to reside in the FF lower, but i've not seen it there for quite some time. Turns out even the foreigners have had enough of Hibs

Cropley10
14-03-2012, 08:01 PM
not before time..but a good idea.

Me and meny others have often stated taht more needed to be done to engage with the New Leithers but also to take advantage of the short break city destination Edinburgh is. Its madness to see people turned away from Cat A games due to 'not being on data base' when staduim is empty...surely a on the database or 'production of non UK passport' system could suffice - most people carry ID cards / passports with them when away...so should be easy.

i would go further...If I renew my ST....I would rather give the freebie OF tickets to one of the New Leithers who may be encouraged to pin their colours to the Hibs mast...rather than give them to someone who is already apparently a supporter...but who never bothers to go / buy tickets for themself...

I wonder if we could get the club to co-ordinate the distribution of such tickets 'gifted back' :confused:

Really, really like that idea DTS...

bob12345
15-03-2012, 01:38 PM

What a superb idea that would be. On the day special Polish language literature could be given out with special season ticket deals, bet there would be a fair few takers.

Hibernia&Alba
15-03-2012, 01:56 PM
It's a very worthy idea. Edinburgh, as a capital city, is ethnically diverse and cosmopolitan, and it's good to see Hibernian, a club formed by an immigrant community, embracing this. We have the track record of a club that recognises how important football is to a new community and could/should be using that history to attract the people of twenty-first century Edinburgh. Our credentials are stronger than Hearts' and there's a lot of potential out there both now and for the future, when the first generation immigrants have children who grow up as Scots.

Future17
15-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Don't want to sound negative about it as it was a good gesture but looking at it again I'm wondering if we've missed a trick with these leaflets.

There's no details of fixtures, no price lists and no promotions, if they were putting these out anyway why not offer some sort of 'locals discount', bring the leaflet in and get discount off tickets or the strip or something.

All they've basically done is remind folk hibs are here and everyone knew that already.

Sorry for putting a negative slant on something positive but I really think it could have been done better

I know what you mean, but I think it may attract a negative reaction from the short-sighted among us if we gave a discount or offer to some, but not all fans.

The largest aspect of marketing (as an industry) isn't so much about telling/selling someone something they don't know about, but rather it's about putting what they already know to the front of their mind.

Keith_M
15-03-2012, 02:12 PM
It would a be a shame if any of them, either Jewish or of Pakistani origin, turned up at ER and were greeted by the "Edinburgh Song".

Apparently, some on here think to complain about the singing of that song makes us old fuddie-duddies or someone who wants to kill the atmosphere at ER

:rolleyes:

bingo70
15-03-2012, 02:14 PM
I know what you mean, but I think it may attract a negative reaction from the short-sighted among us if we gave a discount or offer to some, but not all fans.

The largest aspect of marketing (as an industry) isn't so much about telling/selling someone something they don't know about, but rather it's about putting what they already know to the front of their mind.

I think if they'd even put the fixtures on the leaflet then said what the prices are it could have given a specific date or fixture for someone to start thinking about going to and then hibs could have been in the front of their mind until the game, however I think now it'll be till something else pops up.

I think the ideal scenario would have been for a kid to pick up the leaflet, show it to his dad, his dad to notice that hibs are at home on whatever date and can get tickets for as little as x amount, the dad to say he quite fancies that and books tickets, where as now what I think will happen is people will look at the leaflet and see it as hibs reminding us they're on our doorstep but no real incentives to go along.

Malonga's Cat
15-03-2012, 05:39 PM
It's a great idea from Hibs to try and engage with the local immigrant community. I'm sure football fans who have settled here (and their children in years to come) may be encouraged to try Hibs out as their new local team. I agree that there needs to be continued contact though, one leaflet through your door is not enough.

hibsbollah
15-03-2012, 05:59 PM
It would a be a shame if any of them, either Jewish or of Pakistani origin, turned up at ER and were greeted by the "Edinburgh Song".

Apparently, some on here think to complain about the singing of that song makes us old fuddie-duddies or someone who wants to kill the atmosphere at ER

:rolleyes:

Its only a bit of light hearted banter...taking all the fun out of football...PC brigade gone mad...some of my best friends are darkies...what about our human rights...

down-the-slope
15-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Really, really like that idea DTS...

Looks like its just You and me :rolleyes: - well at least that would be 8 potential new supporters we could give an introduction to :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
16-03-2012, 07:36 AM
How much longer do you think they should have waited then? :greengrin

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant "not before time"! :wink:

:embarrass

Baker9
16-03-2012, 09:51 AM
It's a start and I'm pleased they've done this, but I hope they plan to repeat it every month or so.

Although it will raise some awareness, one solitary leaflet won't do much to increase attendances.

That's the key to it - not a one off but a consistent campaign. If and when it works in Leith, broaden it out to Edinburgh and surrounding areas. We have enough of a potential market within 10 miles of ER to fill the ground. Well done the board.

superfurryhibby
16-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Its only a bit of light hearted banter...taking all the fun out of football...PC brigade gone mad...some of my best friends are darkies...what about our human rights...

That song makes me ashamed. Simply not Hibs class.

Given the Polish presence in Leith it would seem a good idea to try and win over the football fans. Edinburgh has long enjoyed a cultural mix, we have had the Irish, Jewish, Italians, Poles, Ukranians, Sikhs as long standing immigrant communities, adding colour and diversity to our city. Let's be pro-active and look to attract fans from the newer immigrant's who live here. A quality Polish player in the squad would surely help

beensaidbefore
16-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Good few ideas, but i think were jumping to a few conclusions. No doubt a lot of the people we hear or see that we think are Polish, but theres loads from other countries like Lithuania and Russia. If we are handing out leaflets we need to be careful not to alienate one group by lumoing them 'all' in together. But by and large an excellent idea. If we could have a few teams Polish Russian German etc, we could have a little pre-season tourney. money spinner at least.

Bishop Hibee
16-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Got this leaflet through the door. Excellent. I'd suggest in the Links area there are more residents who are English by birth than any other non-Scottish nationality. I know of Everton, Spurs and QPR fans nearby, one flat had a Brighton flag in the window and my neighbours are Man Utd and Newcastle supporters. A few of them already frequent ER on occasion and this will only reinforce such positive behaviour :greengrin