PDA

View Full Version : Willie Bauld

Purple & Green
13-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Anyone old enough to remember what Willie Bauld and Hearts fell out about?

Leithenhibby
13-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Anyone old enough to remember what Willie Bauld and Hearts fell out about?

Did he not have to pay for the ball in his testimonial match, or something ridiculous like that?? :rolleyes:

WindyMiller
13-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Did he not have to pay for the ball in his testimonial match, or something ridiculous like that?? :rolleyes:

:agree: That's what I remember hearing.

I was at that match 05/11/62 v Sheffield United, IIRC.

He lived across the road from The Chocolate Box, now where Domino's is on Slateford Road.

Kato
13-03-2012, 10:34 PM

Correct, along with sundry other minor expenses. My Old Man went to school with WB and they were life long friends until WB died at a tragically early age, my old man followed not too many years after, but I can remember him visiting the house many times. My mother tells me that Hearts treatment effected WB really badly and he was "down" for months afterwards. It wasn't just the money but the high-handed way he was treated on what was "his day", treating him as a mere hired hand when in fact he was a very special player for them. Think he only went to Tynie once after that and pretty reluctantly.

greenginger
13-03-2012, 10:36 PM

Back in those days ,if testimonials were not run strictly in accordance with the taxation regulations Hector could turn up and slap a hefty tax bill on a Club .:greengrin

Actually all expenses of a Testimonial Match should be deducted to make the donation (proceeds) tax free. Bauld's complaint was probably the ball he was charged for had been used the week before

Purple & Green
13-03-2012, 10:39 PM

That's the story I've heard from a "Hearts" perspective often enough, but I read something else with quotes from the man himself which makes me wonder where that's come from.

:agree: That's what I remember hearing.

I was at that match 05/11/62 v Sheffield United, IIRC.

He lived across the road from The Chocolate Box, now where Domino's is on Slateford Road.

I know the house you mean - my gaffer used to always point it out to me when we drove past it - I think he had been a big fan as a bairn.

I was reading through an old Evening Times from 1973 the other day, looking for something else entirely when I came across an article by Shearer Borthwick complete with quotes from the 2nd greatest centre forward in Edinburgh in the 50s. He was refusing to get involved in Hearts centenary celebrations because of the dispute... I don't know if he ever made peace with Hearts between then and his sadly premature death just a few years later.

The article goes on to state that the "dispute" was over the gate proceeds from his testimonial - Bauld only received half, and he understood he was to receive the entire gate as I presume was common with testimonials at this time. Hearts, however claimed that half was paid over to Sheffield United. No mention of any match balls.

Purple & Green
13-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Correct, along with sundry other minor expenses. My Old Man went to school with WB and they were life long friends until WB died at a tragically early age, my old man followed not too many years after, but I can remember him visiting the house many times. My mother tells me that Hearts treatment effected WB really badly and he was "down" for months afterwards. It wasn't just the money but the high-handed way he was treated on what was "his day", treating him as a mere hired hand when in fact he was a very special player for them. Think he only went to Tynie once after that and pretty reluctantly.

If you've never heard the half the gate wasn't paid over story then it sounds implausible or mischief making journalists.

The Harp
13-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Yeah, as mentioned, his testimonial was v Sheffield Utd in early 60's. I was there that night too as he was a decent guy (for a Yam :wink:). IIRC when Willie was presented with the cheque, the cost of the match ball was itemised and deducted from the proceeds of the match. Great way to treat one of your finest players eh.
Don't think he set foot in tynecastle again for years. Pretty sure he did go back shortly before he died.

Kato
13-03-2012, 10:52 PM
If you've never heard the half the gate wasn't paid over story then it sounds implausible or mischief making journalists.

It's the first time I've heard that. I'll ask the Old Dear. Dunno exactly how much she knows though. The main thing she told me was the Bauld was very hurt by whatever went on and didn't really want to have anything to do with them afterwards.

jdships
13-03-2012, 10:55 PM

My friend Bobby Marshall , now no longer with us , played for the Hearts before WW2 and was a close friend of WB.
WB sent Bobby an invitation to join a party at his testimonial match .
When he turned up the staff would not accept the invitation and he was charged full price !!
I believe the same happened to Jimmy Wardhaugh
He never entered the ground again and as far as I know WB as you say only went back once .

monktonharp
13-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Correct, along with sundry other minor expenses. My Old Man went to school with WB and they were life long friends until WB died at a tragically early age, my old man followed not too many years after, but I can remember him visiting the house many times. My mother tells me that Hearts treatment effected WB really badly and he was "down" for months afterwards. It wasn't just the money but the high-handed way he was treated on what was "his day", treating him as a mere hired hand when in fact he was a very special player for them. Think he only went to Tynie once after that and pretty reluctantly. I have an old school photograph Newcraighall primary, with my Da and his twin bro,also his cousin, all with Wullie Bauld. they were all brought up in the village, but my auld man and family never supported Bauld or his team:wink: I was also Rab Bauld's( his bro) apprentice at the pit.

Kato
13-03-2012, 11:18 PM
I have an old school photograph Newcraighall primary, with my Da and his twin bro,also his cousin, all with Wullie Bauld. they were all brought up in the village, but my auld man and family never supported Bauld or his team:wink: I was also Rab Bauld's( his bro) apprentice at the pit.

My old man never supported Bauld's team either :greengrin

You have a PM mate, thanks for the heads up.

BurghHibby
14-03-2012, 12:19 AM
I have an old school photograph Newcraighall primary, with my Da and his twin bro,also his cousin, all with Wullie Bauld. they were all brought up in the village, but my auld man and family never supported Bauld or his team:wink: I was also Rab Bauld's( his bro) apprentice at the pit.

I've sent you a PM re this.

Mark79
14-03-2012, 07:00 AM
I heard he didn't get paid on time for a number of Month's. That along with the chairman promising them all they would win the European cup in just a matter of years.

WindyMiller
14-03-2012, 09:30 AM
I heard he didn't get paid on time for a number of Month's. That along with the chairman promising them all they would win the European cup in just a matter of years.

They do say that history has a way of repeating itself. :greengrin

Keith_M
14-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Just as an aside, my local Tram stop is called "Willi Bald Platz". I kid you not!

My Dad nearly choked when he came over for a visit recently and we arrived by Tram. :wink:

p.s. Willie Bauld was my Grandad's favourite player, the Auld Yam Git that he was :greengrin

Ritchie
14-03-2012, 01:15 PM
i should no considering im related to him but i don't.... i dont associate with the yam side of my family you see! :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
14-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I heard it something to do with a comb. (No, not Bobby.)

tamsonsbairn
14-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I worked with Willie's brother Archie in Drybrough's brewery in Craigmillar. I used to be on the same shift as Archie so we would have our breaks at the same time and remember one of the other guys asking Archie the reason for the fallout, He refused to discuss the matter and wasn't very complimentary about the hearts in the matter, so who knows what happened.

Dan Sarf
14-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I worked with Willie's brother Archie in Drybrough's brewery in Craigmillar. I used to be on the same shift as Archie so we would have our breaks at the same time and remember one of the other guys asking Archie the reason for the fallout, He refused to discuss the matter and wasn't very complimentary about the hearts in the matter, so who knows what happened.

Archibald Bauld?

MSK
14-03-2012, 05:30 PM
I worked with Willie's brother Archie in Drybrough's brewery in Craigmillar. I used to be on the same shift as Archie so we would have our breaks at the same time and remember one of the other guys asking Archie the reason for the fallout, He refused to discuss the matter and wasn't very complimentary about the hearts in the matter, so who knows what happened.Knew Archie for years when we were neighbours in Bingham, still speak to his Daughters ...if I get the chance I might ask to see if they know what happened ..:agree:

tamsonsbairn
14-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Knew Archie for years when we were neighbours in Bingham, still speak to his Daughters ...if I get the chance I might ask to see if they know what happened ..:agree:

Was good pals with Archies son Alan. I don't remember them staying at Bingham though,I thought they state at Hay Drive, his gran & grand dad used to live in binfham, I remember cos I got to hold Willie Baulds medals he won while at Hearts. You couldn't have met a nicer family, Archie's wife (Nancy i think) used to treat me like a son. It was also rumoured that Archie was the better player between the brother's.

MSK
14-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Was good pals with Archies son Alan. I don't remember them staying at Bingham though,I thought they state at Hay Drive, his gran & grand dad used to live in binfham, I remember cos I got to hold Willie Baulds medals he won while at Hearts. You couldn't have met a nicer family, Archie's wife (Nancy i think) used to treat me like a son. It was also rumoured that Archie was the better player between the brother's.They lived at the top of Bingham Drive, thats how I got to know the Daughters...they moved to Bingham from Hay Drive ..:agree:

ancient hibee
15-03-2012, 04:49 PM
I think the ill feeling started with the choice of Sheffield United as opposition-not exactly crowd pullers.