PDA

View Full Version : is the guy kennedy that wants to.buy rangers the same 1 that wanted to buy hibs

cam75
13-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Around 15 years ago ?

Keith_M
13-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Around 15 years ago ?

Yes. It's the guy that owns Weatherseal and now (I think still) Sale Sharks.

Andy74
13-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Let's not start with the chat that he was a Hibby either. He was a big rugby fan and had no interest in football or Hibs.

He played rugby at Inverleith with a few guys I know and they laughed at the suggestion at the time that he was any sort of Hibby.

cam75
13-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Yes. It's the guy that owns Weatherseal and now (I think still) Sale Sharks.Cheers mate

cam75
13-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Let's not start with the chat that he was a Hibby either. He was a big rugby fan and had no interest in football or Hibs.He played rugby at Inverleith with a few guys I know and they laughed at the suggestion at the time that he was any sort of Hibby.Im sure he is a rangers fan aswellIm sure he has some dodgy past aswell ?

cocopops1875
13-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Read an interview where he stated he had no interest in football but if anything family ties to hearts, delighted he never got to buy us

bawheid
13-03-2012, 03:27 PM
There are some on here who not that long ago stated they would have been delighted had he taken control of Hibs. They know who they are. :wink:

An extremely lucky escape. Just ask Stockport County fans.

jgl07
13-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Read an interview where he stated he had no interest in football but if anything family ties to hearts, delighted he never got to buy us

He managed to wreck Stockport County in the process of building up Sale Sharks Rugby Union as a top division team.

He took Stockport and Sale over and they ground shared at Edgeley Park. Stockport were run into the ground and sold off having to pay rent in what was their own stadium. Stockport are currently down in the Conference and could even drop another division.

Now Kennedy wants to relocate Sale to the new Salford Community Stadium built for Salford Rugby League club and redevelop Edgeley Park. That could leave County as homeless.

Kennedy wanted to start a professional Rugby Union team in Edinburgh (in advance of the current SRU team) playing in the English Premiership. His interest in Hibs was to get his hands on Easter Road as a base for this new club.

Posh Swanny
13-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Let's not start with the chat that he was a Hibby either. He was a big rugby fan and had no interest in football or Hibs.

He played rugby at Inverleith with a few guys I know and they laughed at the suggestion at the time that he was any sort of Hibby.

That would fit in with his Stockport County / Sale Sharks dealings.

Owned the rugby club. Bought the football club. Moved the rugby club into the football stadium. Sold the football club. Kept the football stadium. The football club now have to pay rent to play in the stadium they've played in since 1902 and have been on the edge of financial oblivion in recent years. Everything is legal and above board, but there is a very bitter taste in the mouths of County fans.

Any chance Glasgow Warriors could make use of a 51,000 seater stadium any time soon?

EDIT - or what jgl said!!! LOL!

Gettin' Auld
13-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Hopefully well soon see these (http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/prodimg/RUG-046_1_large.jpg) at Ibrox then.

:thumbsup:

cam75
13-03-2012, 03:42 PM
He managed to wreck Stockport County in the process of building up Sale Sharks Rugby Union as a top division team.He took Stockport and Sale over and they ground shared at Edgeley Park. Stockport were run into the ground and sold off having to pay rent in what was their own stadium. Stockport are currently down in the Conference and could even drop another division.Now Kennedy wants to relocate Sale to the new Salford Community Stadium built for Salford Rugby League club and redevelop Edgeley Park. That could leave County as homeless.Kennedy wanted to start a professional Rugby Union team in Edinburgh (in advance of the current SRU team) playing in the English Premiership. His interest in Hibs was to get his hands on Easter Road as a base for this new club.Thats the dodgy past i couldnt rember what had been said about him,sheep in wolfs clothing comes to mind.

DarlingtonHibee
13-03-2012, 03:46 PM
There are some on here who not that long ago stated they would have been delighted had he taken control of Hibs. They know who they are. :wink:

:top marks

jgl07
13-03-2012, 04:04 PM

While I would not describe myself as a Stockport County fan, I did live in the area and was a regular there on Friday nights in the late 1960s. I am sad to see a club that was in Division One (now Championship) ten years ago facing the prospect of dropping to the Conference North.

Stockport are currently managed by Jim Gannon (remember him?).

Part/Time Supporter
13-03-2012, 04:06 PM
While I would not describe myself as a Stockport County fan, I did live in the area and was a regular there on Friday nights in the late 1960s. I am sad to see a club that was in Division One (now Championship) ten years ago facing the prospect of dropping to the Conference North.

That came right out of left field.

:wink:

Gettin' Auld
13-03-2012, 04:08 PM

I sure remember his wife. I wouldn't kick her outta my bed for farting!! :greengrin

cam75
13-03-2012, 04:21 PM
He managed to wreck Stockport County in the process of building up Sale Sharks Rugby Union as a top division team.He took Stockport and Sale over and they ground shared at Edgeley Park. Stockport were run into the ground and sold off having to pay rent in what was their own stadium. Stockport are currently down in the Conference and could even drop another division.Now Kennedy wants to relocate Sale to the new Salford Community Stadium built for Salford Rugby League club and redevelop Edgeley Park. That could leave County as homeless.Kennedy wanted to start a professional Rugby Union team in Edinburgh (in advance of the current SRU team) playing in the English Premiership. His interest in Hibs was to get his hands on Easter Road as a base for this new club.Thats the dodgy past i couldnt rember what had been said about him,sheep in wolfs clothing comes to mind.

Phil D. Rolls
13-03-2012, 04:27 PM
You would hope that recent events have taught supporters to be very wary of any businessman that comes along saying he loves their club and has big plans for it. I remember in 1998 there was a large group of fans that were pleading with Farmer to sell to Kennedy - if ever there was evidence that people don't learn their lessons it was that.

Less than 8 years before, Tom Farmer had rescued Hibs after we fell in with another couple of top businessmen. Supporters often make the mistake that businessmen have the same values as them. They can't understand that there are people that are only interested in money, and don't have the irrational passion for their team that we do.

As I say, maybe we've turned a corner, and fans are going to think twice when someone comes along to give them the eart. Who am I kidding? We just have to look at the mess in Gorgie, and then listen to those on here who want Farmer and co, to move on.

jst1875
13-03-2012, 04:31 PM

BOLLOX .......... the guy was a staunch hibby and i attended many a game with him during our school days.
i dont know where his allegiances are nowadays but he was defo a hibby when younger.

Eyrie
13-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Hopefully well soon see these (http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/prodimg/RUG-046_1_large.jpg) at Ibrox then.

:thumbsup:
We will for the Commonwealth Games, when the sevens are played there. Could do with it a bit sooner though.

hfc rd
13-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Thank **** this guy never took over. Definitely dodged a bullet there.

King Paddy
13-03-2012, 11:28 PM
You would hope that recent events have taught supporters to be very wary of any businessman that comes along saying he loves their club and has big plans for it. I remember in 1998 there was a large group of fans that were pleading with Farmer to sell to Kennedy - if ever there was evidence that people don't learn their lessons it was that.

Less than 8 years before, Tom Farmer had rescued Hibs after we fell in with another couple of top businessmen. Supporters often make the mistake that businessmen have the same values as them. They can't understand that there are people that are only interested in money, and don't have the irrational passion for their team that we do.

As I say, maybe we've turned a corner, and fans are going to think twice when someone comes along to give them the eart. Who am I kidding? We just have to look at the mess in Gorgie, and then listen to those on here who want Farmer and co, to move on.

Yes we did approach Brian Kennedy as a group HOH, but you have to look at the overall turn of events at that time. We were in a terminal decline and Farmer was not prepared to invest and help us turn the corner and save us from relegation, in fairness to Farmer he met with kennedy and was extremely close to selling the club. I admit that on reflection it was the correct move or we could have ended in deep trouble similair to Stockport County. I suppose better the devil you know but 15years later we are still looking to improve beyond avoiding relegation.

jgl07
13-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Yes we did approach Brian Kennedy as a group HOH, but you have to look at the overall turn of events at that time. We were in a terminal decline and Farmer was not prepared to invest and help us turn the corner and save us from relegation, in fairness to Farmer he met with kennedy and was extremely close to selling the club. I admit that on reflection it was the correct move or we could have ended in deep trouble similair to Stockport County. I suppose better the devil you know but 15years later we are still looking to improve beyond avoiding relegation.

Wheras if Hand on Hibs had prevailed we would be two divisions down the system playing at Meadowbank while Easter Road was used for egg chasing!

I never trusted Kennedy at the time and the events at Stockport would appear to prove this case.

The whole takeover saga was still running when Hibs were in Division One and the likes of Russell Latapy, Mixu Pateleinen, and Franck Sauzee had been signed. The plans for the reconstruction of the West Stand was also underway at this time.

It is somewhat disingenuous to say that 'Farmer was not prepared to invest' or 'Hibs were in terminal decline'. If anything Farmer was allowing McLeish and Petrie to spend far too much cash.

McLeish built a strong team that was promoted losing only three league matches,established itself in the SPL and came close to splitting the Old Firm but for a late collapse, including a rare Scottish Cup Final appearance before he stiffed Hibs by moving to Rangers.

SteveHFC
14-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Kennedy previously tried to buy his boyhood heroes Hibs and has previously been in charge of English minnows Stockport County. He admitted that he has made his move for Rangers because his wife’s family are all big supporters.

He added: “I am a Hibs fan.

"I went to Tynecastle School in Edinburgh, that is why I have had so many broken noses because I decided to be a Hibs fan.

"I then went on to spent most of my teenage years in Glasgow and I also married a girl from Priesthill and her family are all Rangers mad.

"I went to loads of games and I spent a lot of my teenage years at Ibrox.

“So there is the connection.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/307966/Brian-Kennedy-confirms-he-wants-to-buy-Rangers

Kaiser1962
14-03-2012, 07:05 AM

Points in bold.

We couldnt have been that terminal if we're still here. Pretty crap yes but terminal? Nope.

Hibs have cost Farmer personally around £12m since he took over. There is an argument that he will get that back when he sells but, looking around at other clubs and the state of the game in general, that seems more and more unlikely.

Kaiser1962
14-03-2012, 07:08 AM

:top marks