PDA

View Full Version : Question Glasgow train stations for the semi

Newry Hibs
13-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Looking to come over for the semi and would be getting a train from Troon (possibly). Am I just as well getting the train to Glasgow central and a taxi out to the ground or is there a more convenient station? Also does anyone know what time the fighting is due to start before and after. I have 2 young boys and would rather avoid this if possible.

cabbageandribs1875
13-03-2012, 10:27 AM
you could just get the train from central to mount florida (rangers end) or kings park(sellick end) stations, think they are every 15/20 mins only a 5 min walk from mount florida to hampden, does anyone know what end of hampden we will be getting ? got a funny feeling we will get the sellick end, therefore kings park station best :greengrin or approx £10 for a taxi from central station(safest bet)

cwilliamson85
13-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Best / easiest way to get to Hampden is to go to either Queen St or Central and jump in a taxi. It wil be £10 at most and you beat the Q's / rush for trains to Mount Florida.

1875_hibs
13-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Looking to come over for the semi and would be getting a train from Troon (possibly). Am I just as well getting the train to Glasgow central and a taxi out to the ground or is there a more convenient station? Also does anyone know what time the fighting is due to start before and after. I have 2 young boys and would rather avoid this if possible.

Will probably be getting a train from Troon also. Normally get the train to Central station and hop on a bus to Pollokshaws Road or Victoria Road and it's a 10 minute walk from there. Taxi will be easiest though.

Newry Hibs
13-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Will probably be getting a train from Troon also. Normally get the train to Central station and hop on a bus to Pollokshaws Road or Victoria Road and it's a 10 minute walk from there. Taxi will be easiest though.

Thanks all for the replies.

Want to make it as simple as possible as I'll have a very early start for the ferry.

It looks like a good service from Troon. Presumably easy enough getting back to Central the same way after the celebrations.

1875_hibs
13-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Want to make it as simple as possible as I'll have a very early start for the ferry.

It looks like a good service from Troon. Presumably easy enough getting back to Central the same way after the celebrations.

Trains every half hour to Glasgow from Troon. Yeah as long as you get to Pollokshaws Road that's the road that takes you upto the city to Central and there's always buses passing to take you to the station.

Hibs Class
13-03-2012, 11:36 AM
you could just get the train from central to mount florida (other end) or kings park(Hibs end) stations, think they are every 15/20 mins only a 5 min walk from mount florida to hampden, does anyone know what end of hampden we will be getting ? got a funny feeling we will get the sellick end, therefore kings park station best :greengrin or approx £10 for a taxi from central station(safest bet)

Fixed it :greengrin.

Sorry - it just irks me when the neutral national stadium is constantly referred to as having ends associated with those two, just another example of how nothing can happen in Scottish football without there having to be some kind of bigot brother angle.

cabbageandribs1875
13-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Fixed it :greengrin.

Sorry - it just irks me when the neutral national stadium is constantly referred to as having ends associated with those two, just another example of how nothing can happen in Scottish football without there having to be some kind of bigot brother angle.

old habits die hard :agree: twas always the rangers end(mount florida)/sellick end(kings park) whilst growing up, but i know what you mean :wink:

bod
13-03-2012, 12:08 PM
remember 4 adults can get an away day return from Edinburgh to Glasgow for £21.
only problem is you have to get on & off at the same station

JimBHibees
13-03-2012, 12:12 PM

If you are getting the train to Central I wouldnt see much point in not then getting the Mount Florida train which would take 10 mins at most and then only a 5 min walk from there. With it being Saturday the trains would be frequent also.

Keith_M
13-03-2012, 12:15 PM
If we get the east side of the stadium, you can catch buses from the stop on Aitkenhead Road that take you right into town. Go to the bus stop after the police station oposite of Asda (in direction of town) and you've got the option of more buses than getting on before there. But don't tell everybody, or they'll all try it :greengrin

Goog luck mate and enjoy the game. :thumbsup:

Keith_M
13-03-2012, 12:16 PM
If you are getting the train to Central I wouldnt see much point in not then getting the Mount Florida train which would take 10 mins at most and then only a 5 min walk from there. With it being Saturday the trains would be frequent also.

That's likely to be the Aberdeen end, so not an option going back to Central.

Nakedmanoncrack
13-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Not sure whats happened in the past but wouldn't be surprised if Hibs fans are directed towards the trains to Kings Park rather than Mount Florida, assuming we get the East side of the stadium as usual.

Gettin' Auld
13-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Geez, that isn't much of an 'away day' if you don't even get to leave the station!! :wink:

bod
13-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Geez, that isn't much of an 'away day' if you don't even get to leave the station!! :wink:

:doh:

you ken whit ah meant :tee hee:

JimBHibees
13-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Not sure whats happened in the past but wouldn't be surprised if Hibs fans are directed towards the trains to Kings Park rather than Mount Florida, assuming we get the East side of the stadium as usual.

Yep no doubt you will be right with it being Aberdeen and Hibs with them likely to get that end of the ground.

Gettin' Auld
13-03-2012, 02:11 PM
:doh:

you ken whit ah meant :tee hee:

Sorry but i just couldnae resist. :thumbsup:

MountcastleHibs
13-03-2012, 03:15 PM

Is that if you buy on the day? Having looked on scotrail's website, it's telling me Waverly to Queen Street is £48.40 return for four people.

Green Man
13-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Is that if you buy on the day? Having looked on scotrail's website, it's telling me Waverly to Queen Street is £48.40 return for four people.

I was trying to find info on the group ticket as I remember getting it when going to Ibrox a few years back. All I could find was details of reduced prices for group tracel to Aberdeen or Inverness, so I'm not sure if they're no longer doing the deal on Glasgow journeys :confused:

Keith_M
13-03-2012, 04:28 PM
The do GroupSave (http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/fares-and-tickets#small-group), 3 or 4 people for the price of two. You don't need to book in advance

Sample from the website........

From
To
Total GroupSave price
Price per person
You save*

Edinburgh
Glasgow Queen Street
£24.20
£6.05
£24.20

HH81
14-03-2012, 05:54 AM
I'm in Glasgow for around half 9, anyone up for sharing a taxi to the ground closer to kick off? Given the fact us Yorkshire lads don't like paying the full cost :greengrin

Green Man
14-03-2012, 08:04 AM
The do GroupSave (http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/fares-and-tickets#small-group), 3 or 4 people for the price of two. You don't need to book in advance

Sample from the website........

From
To
Total GroupSave price
Price per person
You save*

Edinburgh
Glasgow Queen Street
£24.20
£6.05
£24.20

Cheers, that's the one I was thinking of. I couldn't find it on the website :doh:

blairwallace
14-03-2012, 08:09 AM
what time are people planning on leaving from waverley?