PDA

View Full Version : Relocation of Clyde FC

Sylar
11-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Strong rumours doing the rounds that Clyde are set to relocate away from Cumbernauld and their Broadwood Stadium, due to a fallout with NLC about being unable to afford rent on the property.

They're apparently in talks with East Kilbride Thistle about setting up a community stadium and shared training facilities.

No link for the story, as all I've heard are rumours.

Edit: I've found an old story from October last year, when initial discussions were taking place - rumours I've heard today seem to suggest this is gathering pace and could happen from next season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15378782

greenlex
11-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Relocating to Govan as Clyde Rangers?

Jonnyboy
11-03-2012, 11:27 PM
It's quite sad that Clyde have fallen so far. It's not that many years ago that a trip to face them at Shawfield meant a stern test for Hibs.

Bishop Hibee
11-03-2012, 11:32 PM
They would have been better moving to East Kilbride from Shawfield as a lot of their supporters live there after moving from Rutherglen when the new town was built.

Lucius Apuleius
11-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Rumour been going round for a couple of years they had fallen out and would be moving as soon as they could.

monktonharp
11-03-2012, 11:46 PM
wonder what Dougie Donnely thinks about this? is he not their most high profile fan? and the link with Rutherglen looks as if it's almost severed. I do remember going to the "bully wee" supporters club years ago,sadly now closed.we were at Hampden that day(the opponents name escapes me) but it was the day after the Hillsbourgh Disaster, probably a Sunday, and the auld East Coast Independant bus was there,Charlie (Mc Cleish) got up on stage and announced that the Hibernian fans were going round with open buckets,in conjunction with the Clyde fans commitee, to raise funds immediately for the immenent disaster fund.well done McCleish!

Davy Mac
11-03-2012, 11:49 PM
They would have been better moving to East Kilbride from Shawfield as a lot of their supporters live there after moving from Rutherglen when the new town was built.

Correct, moving to Broadwood was never the right move and would certainly boost EK for sure, certainly plenty space to build.

marinello59
11-03-2012, 11:53 PM
It's quite sad that Clyde have fallen so far. It's not that many years ago that a trip to face them at Shawfield meant a stern test for Hibs.

It's maybe an indication that in Scotland 'franchise' football just won't work. Cumbernauld was seen as an ideal catchment area but basically the locals kept going to see the Old Firm. Community attachment is vital for any club up here and it just can't be artificially manufactured. Livi could be seen to prove otherwise but even they went bust.

monktonharp
12-03-2012, 12:02 AM
It's maybe an indication that in Scotland 'franchise' football just won't work. Cumbernauld was seen as an ideal catchment area but basically the locals kept going to see the Old Firm. Community attachment is vital for any club up here and it just can't be artificially manufactured. Livi could be seen to prove otherwise but even they went bust.you may have a point, but also, the ground just seemed miles away from any hooses. way way across the fields, and nae boozers/bookies or chippies etc. maybe awrite if you happen to be passing,when oot stealing tatties or whatever.

keithkeith
12-03-2012, 01:41 AM
They are looking to move to EK. They have an online petition supporting it as they look to get out of Broadwood. Some Hibs connections there as well...

Jim Duffy & Chic Charnley are the management team.

jgl07
12-03-2012, 02:13 AM

Clyde left Shawfield in 1986. How many of their supporters from that era will still be around? Clyde's support base was spread asunder by slum clearance. What was left was decimated by spells groundsharing with Partick and Hamilton.

They only moved to Cumbernauld because the New Town Development Corporation had some surplus funds when it was being wound up and building a community stadium seemed a good use to put the cash to. Livingston's stadium came about in much the same way.

Maybe a move to East Kilbride would have been preferable but there was no offer coming.

They would be better trying to establish an identity in Cumbernauld rather than flitting once more. They will probably end upo not only ground sharing with East Kilbride Thistle but also in the same (Junior) League.

Keith_M
12-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Clyde left Shawfield in 1986. How many of their supporters from that era will still be around? Clyde's support base was spread asunder by slum clearance. What was left was decimated by spells groundsharing with Partick and Hamilton.

:agree:

What support they did have has all but gone. The growth in numbers attending OF matches has happened in the period after Clyde moved, so I think that support has gone to one or the other of those clubs (probably Celtc).

Incidentally, why was it they left shawfield in the first place? The stadium is in reasonable nick, if a little old. :dunno:

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Shawfield really was a dump and a pair of binoculars was needed to see just what was going on at times as the dog track and lights over it were the first things you saw when you looked on to the pitch.

Went many times 60/70/80s and can't say I missed the place but you have to feel for them now, but as previous posters have said many of the older fans of the club's siblings have defected to the ugly sisters.

I'd say the juniors would be a best bet for them, shame really but that's the way it is these days.

lucky
12-03-2012, 08:02 AM
I know a couple of Clyde season ticket holders and they were not happy moving out of Glasgow so its unlikely the fans will want to move to EK.

lucky
12-03-2012, 08:03 AM
They are looking to move to EK. They have an online petition supporting it as they look to get out of Broadwood. Some Hibs connections there as well...

Jim Duffy & Chic Charnley are the management team.

Chic Charnley is working for Celtic in their boot room so I don't think he is at Clyde.

H18sry
12-03-2012, 08:11 AM
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/redevelopment-of-showpark-east-kilbride.html sign to help them :thumbsup:

SkintHibby
12-03-2012, 08:19 AM
wonder what Dougie Donnely thinks about this? is he not their most high profile fan? and the link with Rutherglen looks as if it's almost severed. I do remember going to the "bully wee" supporters club years ago,sadly now closed.we were at Hampden that day(the opponents name escapes me) but it was the day after the Hillsbourgh Disaster, probably a Sunday, and the auld East Coast Independant bus was there,Charlie (Mc Cleish) got up on stage and announced that the Hibernian fans were going round with open buckets,in conjunction with the Clyde fans commitee, to raise funds immediately for the immenent disaster fund.well done McCleish!

DD is a hun.

IWasThere2016
12-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Really? I'm beginning to think your wore a bunnet and smoked a pipe as a nipper in the '40s

:wink: :greengrin

Baker9
12-03-2012, 09:22 AM

Or even a trip to Hampden! A succession of good people have tried to make something of the club and Broadwood Stadium facilities are still well used by locals. The hoped for fan base was just not there. The local OF fans were never going to defect and all teams were struggling to attract new fans. Simply a bad idea in the first place.

Exiled Hibby
12-03-2012, 09:30 AM
DD is a hun.

Are you sure about that? It is posible, enen in the west, for someone to support a team outwith the bigot brothers you know.

jgl07
12-03-2012, 02:52 PM
:agree:

What support they did have has all but gone. The growth in numbers attending OF matches has happened in the period after Clyde moved, so I think that support has gone to one or the other of those clubs (probably Celtc).

Incidentally, why was it they left shawfield in the first place? The stadium is in reasonable nick, if a little old. :dunno:

A speedway track was built inside the dog track and I think this encroached on the football pitch. I am not sure if this was the reason for leaving Shawfield or the response of the owner to Clyde leaving.

Shawfield was used by Glasgow Tigers until 1999 when they moved to Ashfield Juniors stadium.

I was in fair nick the last time I went there (in 1998!).

Renfrew_Hibby
12-03-2012, 04:55 PM
If the club had only moved to EK in the first place. Much closer to its' former home, a much larger town and a town with a better economical base as well. Also locals being on average slightly more upwardly mobile than those from Cumbernauld are more ready to embrace non old firm clubs as whenever i go shopping there, i always see kids in Motherwell tops and there's even a few Hibbies and Jambos in the town too i believe.

jgl07
12-03-2012, 05:21 PM
The idea of Clubs moving to new towns is not a bad idea in itself. However the connotations of 'frachaise' tend to give this a bad name.

The fact is that the population of Scotland is distributed very differently than it was in the 1930s.

It is no surprise that the three teams in Falkirk struggle for support. Equally there are large swathes of the country without a senior team. This has not been a problem in England because the pyramid system brings constant renewal to the FL. Teams such as Peterborough, Oxford, Crawley, Burton, Wimbledon, Morecambe, Yeovil have all come through from the non-league system. Dead teams such as Accrington and Aldershot have been able to return. That is not possible with the closed shop that exists in Scotland.

Livingston have attracted far better crowds than they would have done remaining at Meadowbank. Clyde's move has not succeeded perhaps because they kept their old name and were never really accepted in Cumbernauld. I am not sure that a move to East Kilbride would have been much better in 1992. Maybe if they had gone there in 1986 when leaving Shawfield prior to spending the time frittering away what was left of their support at Partick and St Mirren, things would have been different.

CropleyWasGod
12-03-2012, 05:23 PM
DD is a hun.

With a name like Donnelly? :confused:

Pretty sure he is a Bully Boy, not a Billy Boy.

Jonnyboy
12-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Really? I'm beginning to think your wore a bunnet and smoked a pipe as a nipper in the '40s

:wink: :greengrin

:greengrin

Guilty as charged m'lud :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
12-03-2012, 10:33 PM
:greengrin

Guilty as charged m'lud :greengrin

so is 18,181 your number of posts or your age?

Jonnyboy
12-03-2012, 10:34 PM
so is 18,181 your number of posts or your age?

Yes :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
12-03-2012, 10:35 PM
A speedway track was built inside the dog track and I think this encroached on the football pitch. I am not sure if this was the reason for leaving Shawfield or the response of the owner to Clyde leaving.

Shawfield was used by Glasgow Tigers until 1999 when they moved to Ashfield Juniors stadium.

I was in fair nick the last time I went there (in 1998!).

How are you looking now? :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
12-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Yes :greengrin

And you appear to get one year older every time you post, JB! :confused:

Jonnyboy
12-03-2012, 10:40 PM
And you appear to get one year older every time you post, JB! :confused:

Ah ken. Methuselah (sp?) has nothing on me :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
12-03-2012, 10:43 PM
The idea of Clubs moving to new towns is not a bad idea in itself. However the connotations of 'frachaise' tend to give this a bad name.

The fact is that the population of Scotland is distributed very differently than it was in the 1930s.

It is no surprise that the three teams in Falkirk struggle for support. Equally there are large swathes of the country without a senior team. This has not been a problem in England because the pyramid system brings constant renewal to the FL. Teams such as Peterborough, Oxford, Crawley, Burton, Wimbledon, Morecambe, Yeovil have all come through from the non-league system. Dead teams such as Accrington and Aldershot have been able to return. That is not possible with the closed shop that exists in Scotland.
Livingston have attracted far better crowds than they would have done remaining at Meadowbank. Clyde's move has not succeeded perhaps because they kept their old name and were never really accepted in Cumbernauld. I am not sure that a move to East Kilbride would have been much better in 1992. Maybe if they had gone there in 1986 when leaving Shawfield prior to spending the time frittering away what was left of their support at Partick and St Mirren, things would have been different.

Still.............if it keeps New Rangers in the Junior Leagues.......................... :greengrin

keithkeith
12-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Chic Charnley is working for Celtic in their boot room so I don't think he is at Clyde.

He is their Assistant Manager...

http://www.clydefc.co.uk/squad/staff/Chic-Charnley/

jgl07
12-03-2012, 11:16 PM
How are you looking now? :greengrin

A lot worse than I did then!

Phil D. Rolls
13-03-2012, 12:26 AM
It's maybe an indication that in Scotland 'franchise' football just won't work. Cumbernauld was seen as an ideal catchment area but basically the locals kept going to see the Old Firm. Community attachment is vital for any club up here and it just can't be artificially manufactured. Livi could be seen to prove otherwise but even they went bust.

Fair play, Livingston appear to have bounced back - they have a decent support.

jgl07
13-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Fair play, Livingston appear to have bounced back - they have a decent support.

Livingston went into administration twice due to over spending. They tried to compete on wages with the likes of Hibs with one tenth of the support and paid the price. That was after cheating Hibs out of a League Cup.

Most of the support that Livingston have would be Huns if they did not exist. Maybe they will pick up more if Rangers are busted back to Division Three?

lucky
13-03-2012, 11:05 AM
He is their Assistant Manager...

http://www.clydefc.co.uk/squad/staff/Chic-Charnley/

Spoke to him last week in his Celtic tracksuit. He is defo working for the wee greens

keithkeith
13-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Spoke to him last week in his Celtic tracksuit. He is defo working for the wee greens

Ok. Sorry. Fair enough. He must be part time with both then...

Saw him and Duffy take training at Broadwood last week. Must get him to sign his book...