PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen Semi Final memories

Billy Whizz
11-03-2012, 07:10 PM
I can only remember 2 in recent times.
We lost against them at Dens Park. I was in the old Dens Park Stand and I can remember Neale Cooper making a brutal challenge right in front of me. I think we lost 3-0.
Can't remember the date?

The other game I can remember is the 1979 Semi Final at Hampden. Hibs won 2-1 but I couldn't stay until the end as my dad was on nightshift. I think there was only a small crowd at this game. This was the year where we played Rangers in the Final and it went to 3 games (Thanks to Colin Cambpell)
Anyone remember these games?

Makaveli
11-03-2012, 07:12 PM
We lost against them at Dens Park. I was in the old Dens Park Stand and I can remember Neale Cooper making a brutal challenge right in front of me. Can't remember the date?

The other game I can remember is the 1979 Semi Final at Hampden. Hibs won 2-1 but I couldn't stay until the end as my dad was on nightshift. I think there was only a small crowd at this game. This was the year where we played Rangers in the Final and it went to 3 games (Thanks to Colin Cambpell)

Another: 2000, we were 1-0 up and looking good. Andy f****ing Dow :rolleyes:

SteveHFC
11-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Andy ****ing Dow scoring the winner for the Sheep :boo hoo:

Billy Whizz
11-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Another: 2000, we were 1-0 up and looking good. Andy f****ing Dow :rolleyes:

Thanks for reminding me of this one. I'm still trying to get over the losses in the last 10 years or so to Hearts, Dundee Utd and Dunfermline

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-03-2012, 07:14 PM
1993 - 1-0 defeat at Tynie, though I missed that one as was working abroad.

HibbyAndy
11-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Scott Booth.

Like a say, We are due them a beating.

Silversand
11-03-2012, 07:16 PM
I do remember the 4 semis mentioned here.

Hampden 1979 - was my first Hibs match. Good win.
Dens Park - Was a good day out - but ultimately disappointing. I seem to remember Collins had a mazy dribble & chip that went close at 0-0
Hampden 2000(?) - utterly disappointed with this one after leading 1-0 :boo hoo:

davey 2 good
11-03-2012, 07:17 PM
I was at that game swine castle and Paul Kane created the goal for the sheep

PaulSmith
11-03-2012, 07:18 PM

Forgot about that one, Paul Kane was motm that day for them iirc.

Sunday evening v Sheep in Dow game was 6:15 ko.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-03-2012, 07:21 PM
IIRC the 2000 semi final was one of those stupid late Sunday tea-time kick offs. Well remember the fact that for Aberdeen terms, they had a token support out that day and they all ran down the terraces when they got the winner.

I was at the game at Dens Park as well and didn't play that badly that day. Didn't turn out too badly though, because West Tip won the national that day, and I raked in a shed load.

skipster7
11-03-2012, 07:23 PM
the dens one was 86, remember everyone thinking durie was out and getting a boost when he ran out.clearly not fit though.my overiding memory is Collins chipping Bryan Gunn at 0-0 and it hitting the underside of the bar,Steve cowan standing about a yard away turned away to celebrate instead of making sure :grr:.Aberdeen had a good side though and ended up winning easily in the end.

SneakersO'Toole
11-03-2012, 07:26 PM
After the last 2 semi final disappointments and the luck they have had against us this season, surely we are due a win against them this time.

HibbyAndy
11-03-2012, 07:29 PM
After the last 2 semi final disappointments and the luck they have had against us this season, surely we are due a win against them this time.
:agree:

They are due a humpin fae us.

IberianHibernian
11-03-2012, 07:32 PM
We lost against them at Dens Park. I was in the old Dens Park Stand and I can remember Neale Cooper making a brutal challenge right in front of me. I think we lost 3-0.
Can't remember the date?

Anyone remember these games?I remember thinking there was a great atmosphere at 1979 semi only to read in paper next day crowd awas about 10,000 - must have packed us all into one section . About same period Dons beat us in semis of both cups in same year - I remember losing 1 v 0 in extra time at Dens in LC after mistake by goalie Supermac Mike McDonald . Pity there isn`t a stadium in Dundee with capacity of about 25,000 for this year .

HibbyAndy
11-03-2012, 07:34 PM
I remember thinking there was a great atmosphere at 1979 semi only to read in paper next day crowd awas about 10,000 - must have packed us all into one section . About same period Dons beat us in semis of both cups in same year - I remember losing 1 v 0 in extra time at Dens in LC after mistake by goalie Supermac Mike McDonald . Pity there isn`t a stadium in Dundee with capacity of about 25,000 for this year .

We got him from Stoke , An understudy to Gordon Banks tae!!! Big laddie:agree:

Sammy7nil
11-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Ally McLeod 1979 the only good memory of a semi against the sheep.

However the sheep no longer have Mixu, McGhee, McLeish, Miller, Booth, Jess, Strachan, Hewitt or Black.

We Can and Will Do them :greengrin

tamig
11-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Can't remember the date?

Grand National day 86. My mate was at uni in Dundee and 5 of us went up and stayed in his flat on the Friday. What a night out we had. Next day, my cousin scooped £600 off the bookies on the National meeting so the drinks were on him back in the Pans as we drowned our sorrows on the Saturday night.

Winston Ingram
11-03-2012, 09:57 PM

Another Alex Miller masterstroke.

He always had a special big game formation our Alex. We were going along nicely and he came out with some radge effort with every one playing out of position

nonshinyfinish
11-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Andy Dow.

Andy Dow!

:grr:

Purple & Green
11-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Another Alex Miller masterstroke.

He always had a special big game formation our Alex. We were going along nicely and he came out with some radge effort with every one playing out of position

List of previous scottish cup encounters:

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game_search.php?game=game&opp=67&comp=3&ven=0&sfrom=1&sto=137&res=0&stype=g&s=0&atype=g&a=0&mtype=g&m=0&limit=50&order=0&submit=Search

most recent being the Michael Stewart's shin game.

erin go bragh
11-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Played 5 sc semi finals , its 3 /2 to the sheep , time to make it 3 each :agree:
ggtth

JeMeSouviens
12-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Andy Dow.

Andy Dow!

:grr:

Worse than that, Andy Dow with his right foot! I don't think he touched the ball with it during his entire time at Hibs. :rolleyes:

GreenPJ
12-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Worse than that, Andy Dow with his right foot! I don't think he touched the ball with it during his entire time at Hibs. :rolleyes:

Was that the game where Derek Collins declared himself fit and was nowhere near it?

Joe Baker II
12-03-2012, 09:48 AM

Great atmosphere as for once was a sensible venue and kick off time, ruined by a pretty poor Hibs performance though though Dons were good that year.

Sadly my memory of the 1986 final is really after the game when an Aberdeen fan with a small boy was head butted by a Hibs fan outside Dens after the game in an unprovoked attack.

Was also one Bryan Gunn's first games for Aberdeen (Leighton must have been injured) and recall he did well early on. Was possibly our best ever chance of a cup win too since 1902 as we ultimately missed out playing a demoralised hearts team in the final.

2000 - just remember the ridiculous kick off time and being ashamed both clubs agreed to play at that time with no reduction in prices, pre-Petrie I think but shameful regardless.

hibs0666
12-03-2012, 09:51 AM
There was also a League Cup semi final defeat in 1978 at Dens when there was over 20,000 there on a dark December night.

I was 12 and went up on a football special with my two older mates who were 13. I don't think I'd let my bairns do the same now somehow, even if football is ten times safer than it was back then.

killie-hibby
12-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Was that the game where Derek Collins declared himself fit and was nowhere near it?

Was that not against Celtic in the final. Came off after about ten minutes.

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I remember thinking there was a great atmosphere at 1979 semi only to read in paper next day crowd awas about 10,000 - must have packed us all into one section . About same period Dons beat us in semis of both cups in same year - I remember losing 1 v 0 in extra time at Dens in LC after mistake by goalie Supermac Mike McDonald . Pity there isn`t a stadium in Dundee with capacity of about 25,000 for this year .

That should read "yet another" mistake by McDonald,

"Supermac?" :confused:

:rolleyes:

Frazerbob
12-03-2012, 10:24 AM
1986 semi was the first time I'd really witnessed serious football violence. As a 13 year old I was scared ****less after the game as my old man tried to get us back to the car in one piece.

Thank goodness that sort of thing doesn't go on these days. Those involved must have grown up by now. :wink:

JimBHibees
12-03-2012, 11:09 AM

To be fair from what I remember of that game he had kept us in the game with a string of excellent saves and was only beaten by a mis-hit cross which flew in the top corner at the back post.

JimBHibees
12-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Can't remember the date?

Just wondered what you meant by Thanks to Colin Campbell as if there had been a fair ref we would have had a stonewall penalty in the first game with 5 mins to go. Unfortunately the chances of getting a penalty in a cup final v Rangers are zero. Personally thought Campbell did well in they games and was unlucky not to score in the first one.

Joe Baker II
12-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Just wondered what you meant by Thanks to Colin Campbell as if there had been a fair ref we would have had a stonewall penalty in the first game with 5 mins to go. Unfortunately the chances of getting a penalty in a cup final v Rangers are zero. Personally thought Campbell did well in they games and was unlucky not to score in the first one.

The most blatant penalty I have ever seen in a Scottish Cup or League Cup Final? McGinley referee I think

JohnScott
12-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Give it a bloody rest. If you had been at the game you would remember it was McDonald who kept us in the game all evening!!! His point blank save from Joe Harper was still one of the best saves I've ever seen. That was right in front of us in the covered end. Hibs hardly had a shot on target yet guys like you still blame him for the defeat. We spent most of that night chanting "Supermac". Eddie Turnbull went down in my estimations after that for putting the entire blame on Mike.

As for the 1979 semi at Hampden? The crowd that night was so low as fans from both clubs called for a boycott. They wanted the game at Dens or Tyncastle but the SFA refused. Personally hard to forget that night as five of us from Peebles had to walk home in the early hours. Travelled from Glasgow to Embra on Edinburgh West and with the last service bus gone had to walk. Thanks to Penicuik's finest we got a wee lift from there to Leadburn which was a welcome breather. Still singing though as we walked through Eddleston. Then that triple game final against Rangers!

ancient hibee
12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
After the 1979 semi it was very foggy so I followed a Hibs supporters bus in my car-it was only after driving for about 30 mins.that I noticed it was an Ayrshire bus-by which time I was around Kilmarnock-got home eventually.At least it was the last Scottish Cup Final where a Hibs man scored the winner.

Sweep
12-03-2012, 07:02 PM

Dens Park - Was a good day out - but ultimately disappointing. I seem to remember Collins had a mazy dribble & chip that went close at 0-0
Hampden 2000(?) - utterly disappointed with this one after leading 1-0 :boo hoo:

I was behind the goals and it looked like it was in all the way, but trundled past the post. Gutted.

I also remember coming outside after the game and was mayhem with CCS and ASC fighting all over the place.

My dad got lifted for shouting at an under cover policeman who had nearly knocked us down by reversing at speed up onto the pavement during one of the running battles. :shocked:

Hibernia Na Eir
12-03-2012, 07:15 PM
dens park, loads of trouble, was it 1985 or something? I'm sure Durie was major doubt before ko but he played.

Auckland Hibs
13-03-2012, 12:41 AM

One of my 1st ever "away" games as a young lad - lasting memory is after the game watching the ASC getting completely smashed under the bridge outside "Robbo's Bar" - things where getting so out of control that the Old Bill had to drag them into their vans to protect them.

Anyone know that the attendance was that day as the PBS seemed to be rammed to the rafters?

KWJ
13-03-2012, 03:31 AM

Yeah, McLeish was fuming. McGinlay had to go to right back, think Hartley came on. We were never the same and couldn't get wee Russ back into the game. He was tearing them up before then.

First and only match I've ever had a wee greet.

JimBHibees
13-03-2012, 01:54 PM
The most blatant penalty I have ever seen in a Scottish Cup or League Cup Final? McGinley referee I think

Was indeed.

JimBHibees
13-03-2012, 01:59 PM
I was behind the goals and it looked like it was in all the way, but trundled past the post. Gutted.

I also remember coming outside after the game and was mayhem with CCS and ASC fighting all over the place.

My dad got lifted for shouting at an under cover policeman who had nearly knocked us down by reversing at speed up onto the pavement during one of the running battles. :shocked:

Pretty sure it was a deflected shot which the Aberdeen goalie got a hand to pushing it onto the bar.

Killiehibbie
13-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Hampden 2000(?) - utterly disappointed with this one after leading 1-0 :boo hoo:That game at Dens Park I still say ball was over the line, I think Mc Kimmie hooked it out for a throw in as I was celebrating a goal. Any footage of that clearance?

easty
13-03-2012, 02:22 PM
IIRC the 2000 semi final was one of those stupid late Sunday tea-time kick offs. Well remember the fact that for Aberdeen terms, they had a token support out that day and they all ran down the terraces when they got the winner.

Thats my lasting memory of that game, there werent many of them but they went mental when they scored the winner.