PDA

View Full Version : Goosebumps?

CallumLaidlaw
11-03-2012, 12:15 AM
I try not to get too excited, but when the interviewer asked McPake about being the first hibs captain in 110 years to lift the Scottish cup, was I the only one to get goosebumps?

I am much more comfortable with our last few performances. I do agree with Pat Nevin that we are still behind most of the other clubs when it comes to the chances of winning the thing. BUT, it feels nice to dream. Sparky scoring a cup winning goal would be magic :flag:

madabouthibs
11-03-2012, 01:21 AM
McPake was fantastic in the way that he answered, why not?
He'd love it yes, and I think it would be fully justified, because he is the reason, imho, that our defence has shut up shop. :agree:

SteveHFC
11-03-2012, 01:21 AM
If we win the bloody thing. I would drink myself to death :aok:

CallumLaidlaw
11-03-2012, 01:25 AM
If we win the bloody thing. I would drink myself to death :aok:

It's quite a scary prospect actually. I would have to be in work at 1pm on the Monday. I know I'd still be absolutely wrecked!!!

madabouthibs
11-03-2012, 01:34 AM
I'd just take it off. I've never had a written warning or anything, reckon I'd just take the hit and no turn up! :greengrin

Mikeystewart
11-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Maybe the lack of expectation from the fans may relax the players, based on this team since January they have overachieved in getting to the semis. There are better teams than us who are out of the cup.

CallumLaidlaw
11-03-2012, 01:49 AM
Maybe the lack of expectation from the fans may relax the players, based on this team since January they have overachieved in getting to the semis. There are better teams than us who are out of the cup.

I also think we're being underestimated by clubs. We're expected to be a walkover with no fight or cutting edge. From what I've seen from the last 3/4 games, we have fight. And I think we are starting to find an edge. The likes of Sparky and Soares will give us that

MGmick
11-03-2012, 01:59 AM
TBH the prospect of this bunch winning "IT" saddens me.

Wotherspiniesta
11-03-2012, 02:04 AM

Eh?

Aye, we'd all be saddened if we won the Scottish Cup.

IFONLY
11-03-2012, 02:10 AM

Saddens you go and take a flying one to yourself

CallumLaidlaw
11-03-2012, 02:11 AM

What??? Get a grip. If any 11 players can pull on a hibs jersey and win the Scottish cup, they will become legends!!! The current guys actually look like they want to win for us, which is odd considering most of them are loans.

hibee92
11-03-2012, 02:20 AM
I'm at the point that if I were to take another day off uni (lazy student barsteward) I'd probably get punted. Worth it. :flag:

MGmick
11-03-2012, 02:30 AM
What??? Get a grip. If any 11 players can pull on a hibs jersey and win the Scottish cup, they will become legends!!! The current guys actually look like they want to win for us, which is odd considering most of them are loans.

And that is my point.

I was fortunate enough to watch Paddy, Jimmy and the likes when it was "only" 70 odd years since we'd won it and sadly they couldn't manage it. Now, the least Hibby and least talanted squad I have seen "might" do it and it saddens me.

Hibercelona
11-03-2012, 02:39 AM
And that is my point.

I was fortunate enough to watch Paddy, Jimmy and the likes when it was "only" 70 odd years since we'd won it and sadly they couldn't manage it. Now, the least Hibby and least talanted squad I have seen "might" do it and it saddens me.

Aye, it would be a right sickener right enough. :rolleyes:

We're bigger underdogs to win it in god knows how long and you'd be gutted if we managed it? :confused:

MGmick
11-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Saddens you go and take a flying one to yourself

I know I shouldn't ....But.
It's ok if you go and play with matches.

CallumLaidlaw
11-03-2012, 02:58 AM
And that is my point.

Does that say more about that team, or this team? At the end of the day, there has been "something" over the years that no matter how good a team we've had, has stopped us from winning the Scottish cup. I really couldn't care less what squad wins it, as long as I see it in my lifetime. Men that have watched much better hibs teams than me have failed in seeing a Scottish cup win, so I'm not too fussy to be honest. Maybe these guys have something to prove. Maybe they want to show they can be long term hibs players. There's no better way to show it.

HibeesLA
11-03-2012, 03:23 AM
I would love a hibs team full of Scottish born, hibs supporting players to win the cup as well, but in this day and age, that isn't going to happen.
However, we have a few players that are either fans or have become fans during their terms at the club, and they will know what it means, and I'm sure that's communicated to those that have just joined, or are here on loan.

For that reason, I think this squad is as worthy as any that have come before.

Jim44
11-03-2012, 09:14 AM

What a strange thing for a Hibby to come out with.

Craig_in_Prague
11-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Rangers and Hearts have won it with players they cant afford.. if we done it with all these loanees then who cares.
I also think its a good thing we are generally being under estimated.. we seem to be making nice steady progress and if we can get further away from the pars and get safe then the players can relax and it could work for us.

matty_f
11-03-2012, 10:12 AM
I reckon I'd take the heid right aff it if we won the cup. :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2012, 10:27 AM

For those who are still around from the 50s and the many more who can remember the Tornadoes I understand why you might think that way.

When I first started going to watch Hibs in the flesh Stanton was a few months away from joining celtic and things were going downhill fast and from then till now there have only been a few flashes of what it might have been like to watch those great Hibs teams.

So heres my take on it.

I'm 52 years old now so couldnt give a flying one if the Hibs team who win IT are made up of loans from hearts and rangers and have the Gorgie regeneration project as strip sponsors ....... just so long as we win it !!!

GGTTH

Oh and by the way .... "This bunch" have revived a season which was going down the pan faster than the after effects of a vindaloo and at this point dont deserve to be described in such a derogatory way and certainly not just coz they werent the FF team or TTs

Not to mention the collins / Mowbray team who lost a semi they should have been able to win at a canter.

Hibby70
11-03-2012, 10:33 AM
I kind of get where you are coming from (still very strange that you feel selective in what team should win it).

However for me something about this team actually seems right (including the manager). Totally written off, shocking league performances, turmoil in managers etc. it would be exactly the type of season to do IT.

Billy Whizz
11-03-2012, 10:38 AM
I think we're going to get stronger as the season goes on. Players like Docherty, Frabcomb, McPake, Kujabi, Soares, Claros, O'Donnovan, Griffiths and even O'Connor haven't played a lot of football this season.
I think this will be to our advantage as other teams start to wane.
As an aside I thought O'Connor looked hungry when he came on yesterday and he made a good contribution with some great runs. Hopefully he can get some more game time and kick on from here

Hibbyradge
11-03-2012, 11:48 AM
And that is my point.

You really should try to stop living in the past. That was 40 years ago!

Anyway, even if you can't get your head around the fact that things change, you can relax because we won't win the cup.

Phew.

HibbyAndy
11-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Mcpake had me at 'embody'.

Hibs7
11-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Put it this way if we did win it, Edinburgh would know what a party was. The Jambos would be in hiding.