PDA

View Full Version : Craig Thomson (referee)

Part/Time Supporter
09-03-2012, 10:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZpDL6nxUYc

oh dear

Rivers Cuomo
09-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Lol what a knob

johnrebus
09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Wasn't it Thompson who reffed the Pittodrie fiasco?

:rolleyes:

Seveno
09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I now know German for 'what a prick !'.

Monts
09-03-2012, 10:41 AM
I know its common place nowadays to blame the ref for everything, but its easy to see why at 1 look at full speed it looks like the defender clips the forward.

The real blame should be put on the forward. Tripping himself up and screaming for the penalty. When refs make mistakes, they are (usually) just that. Mistakes.

Its the players who are cheating.

pentlando
09-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Surely something should be done to stop these terrible errors by referees!? How about an extra couple of officials behind each goal? Oh wait :greengrin

Billy Whizz
09-03-2012, 10:49 AM
We have to put up with these sort of errors each week. I hope the player wins his appeal but I've got a feeling UEFA don't do appeals

SouthMoroccoStu
09-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Must have thought he was at a game involving Hearts.

What a clown that 'man' is.

brog
09-03-2012, 11:18 AM
TBF to CT that looked a pen at full speed. I think CT had a mare at Pittodrie but compared to other Scottish refs, Muir, Collum ( I see he was assistant ), Brines etc he's a genius. The only ref I have respect for is Callum Murray & he's a Jambo with a Rangers Father!! AAaaaaaargh!

Hibercelona
09-03-2012, 11:19 AM
TBF to CT that looked a pen at full speed.

:faf:

Thecat23
09-03-2012, 11:24 AM
:faf:

I agree that it did look a pen on the first viewing I seen. I can't stand him as a ref but he doesn't have a replay and it's the player who needs hammered not the ref.

Beefster
09-03-2012, 11:25 AM
I know its common place nowadays to blame the ref for everything, but its easy to see why at 1 look at full speed it looks like the defender clips the forward.

The real blame should be put on the forward. Tripping himself up and screaming for the penalty. When refs make mistakes, they are (usually) just that. Mistakes.

I agree with you about the player and, at full speed, it looked like a foul.

There's no excuse for Thomson, his behind-the-goal buddy and his linesman missing the fact that the 'foul' took place outside the box though.

Hibercelona
09-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I agree that it did look a pen on the first viewing I seen. I can't stand him as a ref but he doesn't have a replay and it's the player who needs hammered not the ref.

Then you need a new pair of eyes. :wink:

If thats whats considered to look like a penalty these days, every league in the world should just shut up shop.

Hibercelona
09-03-2012, 11:27 AM
I agree with you about the player and, at full speed, it looked like a foul.

There's no excuse for Thomson, his behind-the-goal buddy and his linesman missing the fact that the 'foul' took place outside the box though.

Foul outside the box? :bitchy:

There was NO foul, nothing happened what so ever.

Thecat23
09-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Then you need a new pair of eyes. :wink:

If thats whats considered to look like a penalty these days, every league in the world should just shut up shop.

I'm actually going for an eye test nest week :greengrin honestly though it does look like a clip the way he goes across. So I can see why he thought it's a pen and a card. He's a shocking ref but I can see how In game play at normal speed he thought he was clipped.

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2012, 11:37 AM
On first showing from the camera angle we got, it looked a penalty. When you see it again, its clearly not.

I understand why he gave it, but he did get it wrong, along with his linesman. The player should be punished, and Thompson will probably not get a European game for a wee while.

Part/Time Supporter
09-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm actually going for an eye test nest week :greengrin honestly though it does look like a clip the way he goes across. So I can see why he thought it's a pen and a card. He's a shocking ref but I can see how In game play at normal speed he thought he was clipped.

particularly when he was judging the incident from nearly 40 yards away

:wink:

Hibs7
09-03-2012, 11:44 AM
It is the cheating players who should be getting slagged, and the governing bodies should bring in video review for important decisions, time these neanderthals caught up with technology, it would also stop the cheating.

Thecat23
09-03-2012, 11:44 AM
On first showing from the camera angle we got, it looked a penalty. When you see it again, its clearly not.

I understand why he gave it, but he did get it wrong, along with his linesman. The player should be punished, and Thompson will probably not get a European game for a wee while.

Exactly, can't see him doing another European game for a bit after that.

carnoustiehibee
09-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Thomson and the player should get banned for that.

PeeJay
09-03-2012, 12:42 PM
It's always easy for guys sitting at home watching endless replays on the tv to be 100% certain of something - a view over here in a major German magazine is convinced that Matip's knee clips De Jong causing him to lose his balance and then trip himself up - if you watch it often enough you can actually see that it could - maybe - possibly be that way, then again it might not be -

Thompson has to get it on the spur of the moment though, with no tv pictures to scrutinise - difficult for the ref.

The fact it was outside the box however should have been picked up by his linesman or the guy behind the goal line (whatever he's called).

joebakerforever
09-03-2012, 01:09 PM
It's alway easy for guys sitting at home watching endless replays on the tv to be 100% certain of semething - a view over here in a major German magazine is convinced that Matip's knee clips De Jong causing him to lose his balance and then trip himself up - if you watch it often enough you can actually see that it could - maybe - possibly be that way, then again it might not be -

Thompson has to get it on the spur of the moment though, with no tv pictures to scrutinise - difficult for the ref.

The fact it was outside the box however should have been picked up by his linesman or the guy behind the goal line (whatever he's called).

A Cardboard Cut-out :greengrin

Kojock
09-03-2012, 01:10 PM

I dont think the player dived he actually trips himself up.

Remember Mickey Weir getting a pen in a cup final after tripping himself up......

Keith_M
09-03-2012, 01:45 PM

Remember Mickey Weir getting a pen in a cup final after tripping himself up......

It was a "dramatically executed mis-kick" actually

:wink:

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2012, 02:11 PM

I agree, its his protests afterwards though for the penalty thats the cheating bit. For conning the ref, he should be punished imo.

Mickey's was a clear trip anyone could see that, are you a ref by any chance :wink:

Spike Mandela
09-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Have maintained for many years ( well probbly since penalty and non panalty decision in Dunfermline SC replay at Hampden) that Thomson is the most incompetent ref in the SPL, and that's saying something:rolleyes:

Captain Trips
09-03-2012, 02:46 PM

100% agree to much emphasis on how ref missed a dive etc and not a lot on the true culprit. The guy trips himself fair enough but then appears to be looking for a foul from that point on all critisism should be at player he is trying to cheat.

Beefster
09-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Foul outside the box? :bitchy:

I thought it was fairly clear that I didn't think it was a foul. My point was about the fact that the referee missed that the incident, however he perceived it, was outside the box.

Captain Trips
09-03-2012, 04:21 PM
The referee made a mistake a mistake that was made from his angle that we cannot see, it is outside box but we are seeing that from another view. The other factor is the player accidently trips himself which happens however what he then tries to do on way down must realise I might get something here and claims for a foul, that is cheating and out of the two factors in this incident what the player did was far worse.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
09-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Thomson made a mistake. But the player cheated.Thomson will be wiser for it. The player will be vilified. And rightly so. If UEFA have any baws they will ban the player. But they don't.

speedy_gonzales
09-03-2012, 07:25 PM

The guy trips himself fair enough but then appears to be looking for a foul from that point on all critisism should be at player he is trying to cheat.

I thought it was fairly clear that I didn't think it was a foul. My point was about the fact that the referee missed that the incident, however he perceived it, was outside the box.

But the player cheated.Thomson will be wiser for it. The player will be vilified. And rightly so. If UEFA have any baws they will ban the player. But they don't.
Sorry Guys, but there WAS a foul and it WAS outside the box.
Using some fancy technology you can download the clip then play it over and over again at slow speed. As the defender cuts across behind the forward, his left knee knocks the forwards right foot when it is fully extended behind him, this in turn brings the forwards legs together, at that momentum it would take very little force on an extended leg to move it the sufficient inches required so the legs get snarled.
Off course such technologies were not available to CT at the time!

TornadoHibby
09-03-2012, 11:59 PM

Definately the case with this incident but Thomson is woeful as a referee and as a 4th official IMO!

The Green Goblin
10-03-2012, 03:12 AM
100% agree to much emphasis on how ref missed a dive etc and not a lot on the true culprit. The guy trips himself fair enough but then appears to be looking for a foul from that point on all critisism should be at player he is trying to cheat.

This. 100%.

edinburghhibee
10-03-2012, 03:53 AM
:tin hat:

Right Tin Hat is on here...

I think its a foul, if you watch that clip again at 00:28, the angle here I believe proves this. Watch the right heel of the player in red as he cuts across the path of the Blue player. Blue players knee clips the reds heel. At that pace the players leg is pushed into his own foot making it look like he tripped himself.

As much as it pains me to say this... great refereeing :applause:

ok i'm leaving.... :taxi

BEEJ
10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Have maintained for many years ( well probbly since penalty and non panalty decision in Dunfermline SC replay at Hampden) that Thomson is the most incompetent ref in the SPL, and that's saying something:rolleyes:
:agree:

Regardless of the merits or otherwise of this particular decision, I always feel we're on a hiding to nothing when Thomson referees our matches. Consistently when he's in charge, our opponents indiscretions seem to have to be almost twice as bad as ours to provoke similar punishment.