PDA

View Full Version : Manure V Athletico Bilbao.

RamblingJack
08-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Good game so far,i keep thinking the Bilbao fans are chanting 'Hibees Hibees':greengrin:greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Bilbao are all over United here by the way. Matter of time before they take the lead.

City lost 1-0 earlier to a Sporting Lesbian.

joebakerforever
08-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Bilbao are ripping the Smug Ones to pieces.

With City beaten earlier, just confirms the EPL isn't as great as some would have you believe.

BoltonHibee
08-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Bilbao are ripping the Smug Ones to pieces.

With City beaten earlier, just confirms the EPL isn't as great as some would have you believe.

Mmmm have you seen UTDs team tonight?

Onceinawhile
08-03-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm sure I heard the bilbao fans singing hello hello earlier. Did anyone else catch this?

Wotherspiniesta
08-03-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm sure I heard the bilbao fans singing hello hello earlier. Did anyone else catch this?

Yep clear as day.

I believe the words were " Hullo, Hullo, we are the Billy Baos "

nonshinyfinish
08-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Bilbao are all over United here by the way.

:agree:

And as a point of pointless pedantry regarding the thread title, it's Athletic, not Athletico.

SteveHFC
08-03-2012, 08:31 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

nonshinyfinish
08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Ooof.

Elephant Stone
08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Brilliant goal.

Wotherspiniesta
08-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Great goal. Well deserved.

nonshinyfinish
08-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Muniain has been fantastic.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-03-2012, 08:36 PM

Off-duty Compliance officer already compiling a report for the SPL to be published in the morning.

johnbc70
08-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Started watching the game and also had a look at the live betting odds. Man U went 1 up but I thought Bilbao are all over them, so I stuck £5 on Bilbao next goal at 2-1 and £5 on a Bilbao win at 11/1. So got £15 back for the next goal and then used some of the winnings to stick another £10 on a Bilbao next goal and just got £16.50 back. If they can hold on its another £60. Never been so lucky on betting in my life but I was watching the game and it looked like their could only be one winner.

HH81
08-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Oh dear. Thursday nights on channel 5 is not working.

NOLA
08-03-2012, 08:39 PM
really enjoying watching Bilbao play in this match, some fitness levels on show BTW oh and potter should watch this and see you dont need all the tools to be a good team! so easy in possesion of the ball, not afraid to receive the ball in a tight spot, :flag:

Viva_Palmeiras
08-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Ding-dong Bilbao giving an excellent account of themselves what's their turnover to wages ratio?

down-the-slope
08-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Oh dear. Thursday nights on channel 5 is not working.

Working fine for me :greengrin

bingo70
08-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Do bilbao still only play players from basque?

Part of me thinks that's terrific but part of me worries its a bit like when rangers wouldn't play Catholics, hope its not like that as im loving watching them tonight

down-the-slope
08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Man U fans leaving in their droves to get back down the M1 :wink:

HH81
08-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Man U fans leaving in their droves to get back down the M1 :wink:

They should have all brought their sleeping bags. Plenty room to sleep over tonight in the stands.

Also if I was Rooney I'd have taken that head back. He is still bald. Hope he got a receipt.

SteveHFC
08-03-2012, 08:49 PM
:faf::faf::faf:

HH81
1-3. It's become a gift shop.

nonshinyfinish
Oh dear.

cabbageandribs1875
that was a guid goal

johnbc70
Nice:greengrin

down-the-slope
Cant wait till bacon faces press after the lost boot free kick goal :greengrin

NOLA
08-03-2012, 08:50 PM
great finish!:thumbsup:

wazoo1875
08-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Do bilbao still only play players from basque?

Part of me thinks that's terrific but part of me worries its a bit like when rangers wouldn't play Catholics, hope its not like that as im loving watching them tonight
Aye mate they do and part of me feels the same. It's no healthy if you ask me!
Munaian is some player tho! Cracking second goal but offside and now a 3rd to kill it.

Hibs90
08-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Hahahahaha

Hibs90
08-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Jammy bassas

Wotherspiniesta
08-03-2012, 08:56 PM
2-3.

Think United still have a chance in this.....IF they can get ball in the 2nd game :greengrin

(Rafael will be getting a hammering in that dressing room by the way. Terrible, terrible defending)

bingo70
08-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Aye mate they do and part of me feels the same. It's no healthy if you ask me!
Munaian is some player tho! Cracking second goal but offside and now a 3rd to kill it.

It's good seeing a club stick to their principles at a time when most clubs are selling their soul for the slightest piece of silverwear but again, something just doesn't sit right about it. I'm too ignorant about it to really hold it against them though so I'm happy to be corrected by someone more in the know than I am.

It does show you the sort of depth of talent Spain can call upon though, incredible.

IWasThere2016
08-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Auld reeking bacon chops will be spewing! Get it up the pwick :agree:

wazoo1875
08-03-2012, 09:02 PM
It's good seeing a club stick to their principles at a time when most clubs are selling their soul for the slightest piece of silverwear but again, something just doesn't sit right about it. I'm too ignorant about it to really hold it against them though so I'm happy to be corrected by someone more in the know than I am.

It does show you the sort of depth of talent Spain can call upon though, incredible.
Defo agree with that too mate. If they're getting that much quality in their ranks from a small region in Spain then there must be a hell of an amount of talent out there. Dunno if they have any or choose not to sign foreign players. Very good performance by them. Any ways well up for Saturday and watching our very own leith select ;-)

nonshinyfinish
08-03-2012, 09:03 PM

Two sides to this I suppose - on the one hand it is 'discriminatory', in that non-Basques can't play for them. However comparing it to a 'no Catholics' policy is disingenuous IMO, since (for example) Rangers refusing to sign Catholics was deliberately denying a certain section of the local community the opportunity to play, for reasons of religious prejudice. That is not really comparable with Bilbao.

I don't really know what to think about it, TBH.

bingo70
08-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Two sides to this I suppose - on the one hand it is 'discriminatory', in that non-Basques can't play for them. However comparing it to a 'no Catholics' policy is disingenuous IMO, since (for example) Rangers refusing to sign Catholics was deliberately denying a certain section of the local community the opportunity to play, for reasons of religious prejudice. That is not really comparable with Bilbao.

Good point

Viva_Palmeiras
08-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Pat had a loss in the family? What's with the black tie?

Pete
08-03-2012, 09:19 PM
That was immense from Athletic Club. To make any United side look ordinary takes some doing but to do it with a limited player resource is something special.
It would be interesting to know how many people they limit themselves to roughly when it comes to selection.
Forget the rights and wrongs of it...maybe the people at the head of our game should be asking them how they do things.

hfc rd
08-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Just got back to my hotel and yes I am dissapointed with that result and peformance from United but Bilbao totally deserved it. They could so easily beat any prem side with that kind of football they played tonight. Never gave us a second on the ball and made us rush our decisions by constantly getting in our faces. When they had the ball, they looked good and controlled on it and played some very nice stuff. Simply ran riot around us. The Bilbao fans were great. We managed to get a few pints with them before the game and they were so friendly and always up for a good laugh with anyone. Inside OT, well they were simply magnificent. Constantly cheering their team on from the first till the last whistle. I've never seen the Strettford End out sung like that before. That is what you call a 12th man.

jgl07
08-03-2012, 09:27 PM

Athletic only play Basques, mostly from Spain but they have played French Basques such as Bixente Lizarazu.

At one stage half the Spanish squad were Basques.

frazeHFC
08-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Athletic only play Basques, mostly from Spain but they have played French Basques such as Bixente Lizarazu.

At one stage half the Spanish squad were Basques.

And that's why i admire Athletico so much. :thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
08-03-2012, 09:29 PM

Non-Basques can play for Athletic, if they move there at a young age and join their youth system.

eg Messi would be allowed to play for them if he had signed for them aged 13, instead of Barcelona.

HibeeBigFly
08-03-2012, 09:31 PM
My favourite team to watch in Europe. Think bielsa is the best manager in the world at the mo. When he first took over he struggled to get the team to adopt his style. Results were poor for the first couple of months but Bilbao stuck by him. Genius! He was offered the inter job but turned it down in favour of working with some of the greatest young players Spain have on offer. They have lost only twice at San mames this season, can't wait for the 2nd leg. It should be a cracker.

nonshinyfinish
08-03-2012, 09:37 PM
And as a point of pointless pedantry regarding the thread title, it's Athletic, not Athletico.

*shakes fist*

Wotherspiniesta
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM

You admire them so much you don't even know their name? :rolleyes:

frazeHFC
08-03-2012, 09:53 PM
You admire them so much you don't even know their name? :rolleyes:

Oh i am sorry mr perfect. Slight typing error is terrible, absolutely terrible.

NAE NOOKIE
08-03-2012, 10:14 PM
That was a privilege to watch. What a fantastic team. Pace, energy, movement, commitment, intelligence. Ye gods, and they are only 5th in the Spanish league. Not to mention great backing from their supporters.

Watched Barcelona rip Leverkusen a new one last night, but I honestly think that was a better performance.

Hats off !!!

Hibee Hibernian
08-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Smug or minure they're still miles in front of Arsenal - Liverpool ect.:cb

Skanko79
08-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Non-Basques can play for Athletic, if they move there at a young age and join their youth system.

eg Messi would be allowed to play for them if he had signed for them aged 13, instead of Barcelona.

I'm pretty sure they have to be spanish, i.e. outwith the basque region, but only in spain (if under the age of 15). they dont have any non spaniards on their books.

frazeHFC
08-03-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm pretty sure they have to be spanish, i.e. outwith the basque region, but only in spain (if under the age of 15). they dont have any non spaniards on their books.

No it's Basque only. This comprises a certain region of Spain, and a small region of France plus i think Andorra too.

EDIT: Think i may have read your post wrong

Wotherspiniesta
08-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Oh i am sorry mr perfect. Slight typing error is terrible, absolutely terrible.

Apology accepted. :aok:

Skanko79
08-03-2012, 10:40 PM
No it's Basque only. This comprises a certain region of Spain, and a small region of France plus i think Andorra too.

EDIT: Think i may have read your post wrong

you maye have, Bilbao can sign ANY player from ANY region in spain if under the age of 15. Any player from outside Spain (barring the region in France you mentioned) cannot sign for Bilbao.

Their entire first team, B team and youth teams are made up entirely of mainly basque players. The only players that are not basque will be around 18 years old or younger as they only introduced the signing of non basque (but spanish) under 15 year olds around 3 years ago.

To cut a long story short, their aw spaniards haha!

frazeHFC
08-03-2012, 10:52 PM
you maye have, Bilbao can sign ANY player from ANY region in spain if under the age of 15. Any player from outside Spain (barring the region in France you mentioned) cannot sign for Bilbao.

Their entire first team, B team and youth teams are made up entirely of mainly basque players. The only players that are not basque will be around 18 years old or younger as they only introduced the signing of non basque (but spanish) under 15 year olds around 3 years ago.

Yeah i misinterpruted or however you spell it (stay back Wotherspiniesta :greengrin) the first time. I see what you mean now. :agree:

NOLA
08-03-2012, 11:27 PM

^ except for the Basques, like calling a Scotsman - english :take that

Wotherspiniesta
09-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Yeah i misinterpruted or however you spell it (stay back Wotherspiniesta :greengrin) the first time. I see what you mean now. :agree:

I'll let it go.......if you give me some vbuttons :agree:

Black Kyle
09-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Was at the game. Superb atmosphere created by the Athletic fans before, during and after the match. That's how to play 4-5-1 and get the two wide men forward and pass through the middle - fab to watch and final scoreline didn't reflect Bilbao's dominance of the ball and the pitch.
Siempre con Athletic.

Steven_Hibs
09-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Yep clear as day.

I believe the words were " Hullo, Hullo, we are the Billy Baos "

:top marks

IberianHibernian
09-03-2012, 09:09 PM

To cut a long story short, their aw spaniards haha!Are "entirely" and "mainly " not different ? Athletic`s Basque only policy includes French and Spanish Basques and players from Navarra ( Muniain and Martinez for example are from Navarra and Llorente was I think born elsewhere in Spain but moved to Navarra as a youngster so a lot of their best players at present are not actually from Basque Country but have been through club`s youth policy ) so some of their players have played for France and other countries ( defender in Venezuela team now - many Basques emigrated to South America ) . There are Athletic Bilbao " peñas " ( like supporters / social clubs ) all over Spain with most of the members having no Basque connection though nowhere near as many as 20 years ago - lack of onfield success and anti Basque sentiment in rest of Spain as a result of ETA campaign has changed situation .