PDA

View Full Version : Sect43/singing section etc etc

Mac
08-03-2012, 08:37 PM
I have been watching the last few games where the singing section/sect 43 (apologies I don’t know what the official name is) and the actual role is or what the small band are looking to achieve, well I know what they wish to achieve but I feel this is running out of ideas, imagination or effort rather than jumping on anyone with the gall to say anything against them, I’m sure they are constantly waving a ****ty stick at the club or anyone else who dare to not support their actions.

I really would like to know what the plan is, where the ideas, financial backing, marketing and initiative's in place in order to compete against the like of Aberdeen Ultras or even the green mob at Celtic, I fully realise this is all new but the main idea was for a singing section, against St Mirren it was sporadic to say the least and lacklustre at best.

I am all for an organisation and along with Aberdeen Hibs have always been up there however I really don’t see this working in anyway shape or form, this organisation is required when the club needs support and not when the success is already there, so can we get some fact regards who organises this (it seems very young lads who have no idea what the clubs history is all about), what sales plan or recruitment plan is under way, where do they raise money for the array of flags and banners that are required, where is the big hibs.net banner these days? What actions have the club put in place, are there future plans to attract or get all stands/supporters involved?

Now I know it will be the usual attacks as I don’t really post on here all that often, saying that I think there are several key people who post more times than a ladyboy tucks his privates but needs directions to ER but so be it.

Anyway just something I have been wondering about for a while and as I say a good idea but only if followed through and managed properly or we will look more stupid than idealistic and full of initiative and support

frazeHFC
08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
If you are interested on asking questions, you could post on the site.

http://www.sect43.co.uk/forum/forum.php

Ideas are not running out, quite a funny time to say it seeing as though i created a thread on .net a couple of days ago with a load of new songs. There are fundraisers and donations that gain money for creating flags and banners. I'd like to know why you think they are '****ty'?

The organisation is fantastic. A couple of the older members in particular do everything they can to organise displays/buses etc and they do a great job.

There are always threads asking people to come and join in, and more and more are coming. The atmospheres have been great imo. :agree:

Jonnyboy
08-03-2012, 09:04 PM
I have been watching the last few games where the singing section/sect 43 (apologies I don’t know what the official name is) and the actual role is or what the small band are looking to achieve, well I know what they wish to achieve but I feel this is running out of ideas, imagination or effort rather than jumping on anyone with the gall to say anything against them, I’m sure they are constantly waving a ****ty stick at the club or anyone else who dare to not support their actions.

I really would like to know what the plan is, where the ideas, financial backing, marketing and initiative's in place in order to compete against the like of Aberdeen Ultras or even the green mob at Celtic, I fully realise this is all new but the main idea was for a singing section, against St Mirren it was sporadic to say the least and lacklustre at best.

I am all for an organisation and along with Aberdeen Hibs have always been up there however I really don’t see this working in anyway shape or form, this organisation is required when the club needs support and not when the success is already there, so can we get some fact regards who organises this (it seems very young lads who have no idea what the clubs history is all about), what sales plan or recruitment plan is under way, where do they raise money for the array of flags and banners that are required, where is the big hibs.net banner these days? What actions have the club put in place, are there future plans to attract or get all stands/supporters involved?

Now I know it will be the usual attacks as I don’t really post on here all that often, saying that I think there are several key people who post more times than a ladyboy tucks his privates but needs directions to ER but so be it.

Anyway just something I have been wondering about for a while and as I say a good idea but only if followed through and managed properly or we will look more stupid than idealistic and full of initiative and support

Why not offer your considerable skills Mac? :wink:

Mikey
08-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Why not offer your considerable skills Mac? :wink:

I've heard him sing :tee hee:

Jonnyboy
08-03-2012, 09:09 PM
I've heard him sing :tee hee:

:greengrin

I meant his marketing and organisational skills. God forbid he ever joins in the singing :greengrin

Jones28
08-03-2012, 09:26 PM
They do a great job IMHO :agree:
They were excellent at Dunfermline, 100 or more went through and sang throughout the game, really got us all going.
These guys have seen a problem (lack of atmosphere at Easter Road) and done there best to try and re-kindle something.

Well done lads :flag:

Jack
08-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Just a couple of points not mentioned earlier.

Aberdeens Ultras died a couple of years ago.

That small band of whatever they're called have been growing in numbers and innovative bits and bobs, at least for a Hibs support, for the last couple of years.

And as for being shot down for your criticism, you deserve it. Its always easier to knock and question something rather than being supportive and giving constructive criticism or suggestions for improvement.

Thomson1875
08-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Discussions are on going about next season ect, and how to improve. We have stuff in place for throughout the summer.

We are gradually growing, we want to grow with members with the correct mentality to the group which has been lacking a bit getting gradually better. We have a fair few younger lads on board but gradually there are a fair whack of older lads coming along with us.

If people want to get involved then best way is via our forum, if anyone wants to post ideas, suggestions for the group and so on feel free.

To fund flags and so on we have all just chipped a few quid in each and so on, for next season we will be doing fundraisers / members will put some of there hard earned in. We have also received a few kind donations.

Getting people involved is on the list for discussions when we have a meeting to discuss the future. Not sure if it's something anyone would be up for, but if you would like to come meet up with us, come along and meet a few of us for a pint or 2, see what we are about, what we want to achieve and get involved.

We have some pretty good ideas for next season.

Green brigade are an example of a group we would like to be like, but in know way, shape or form is it because of them we formed. It was more down to looking abroad and supports in sweden in general due to our small friendship with GAIS. We have people on our forum who keep us updated with the going's on in germany ect.

easty
08-03-2012, 09:56 PM
. It was more down to looking abroad and supports in sweden in general due to our small friendship with GAIS.

I've not read this before. Would that mean we can sing "All the Hibees like GAIS"?

If I'm not the first to point that out then just humour me!:greengrin

edinburghhibee
09-03-2012, 02:15 AM
I stayed in Goteborg for a year a few years back and I attended a few games there mostly for IFK rather than GAIS however towards the end I realised that GAIS were my Swedish team there (to the complete disgust of my IFK supporting ex-girlfriend, may explain why she's now an ex but heyho!). I went along to a IFK v GAIS game and their fans were great and sung throughout the entire match most of there songs sounded like hibs songs and were sung to the same tunes which I think swayed it for me :thumbsup:

I think you guys are doing a great job and I hope to join your group next season and get a season ticket up your end. Thommo, I think I may have bumped into on route to the Elfsborg game did you get the bus from Oslo with a few other boys????

On a wee side note the Hibs supporters who were in the Dubliner over there were amazing I took a few swede's there after we were pumped by Elfsborg and they became Hibs fans for life after hearing Sunshine on Leith, the ex's dad was crying he said it was the most heartfelt song he had ever heard football fans sing.

Thats how we should be when over here singing regardless, easier said than done I know.

:pfgwa

frazeHFC
09-03-2012, 02:19 AM
On a wee side note the Hibs supporters who were in the Dubliner over there were amazing I took a few swede's there after we were pumped by Elfsborg and they became Hibs fans for life after hearing Sunshine on Leith, the ex's dad was crying he said it was the most heartfelt song he had ever heard football fans sing.

Thats how we should be when over here singing regardless, easier said than done I know.

:pfgwa

:thumbsup:

:scarf:

Nando™
09-03-2012, 04:32 AM
I would like to post on the site, but I was banned for "being Gramo's mate" :hilarious

Please give the responsibilty to people that are not of childish intellect :aok:

Beefster
09-03-2012, 06:53 AM
And as for being shot down for your criticism, you deserve it.

No he doesn't. You could possibly try the adult thing of explaining why you disagree with him. There seems to be this opinion about the Singing Section that, if you're not involved, you shouldn't offer an opinion or ask a question. The fact remains that the Singing Section have a 'image problem' amongst some sections of the Hibs support. When they deal with that (and I'm sure that they're trying) then more folk might buy into it.

I try not to get involved in commenting on the Singing Section any more though because it's very difficult/impossible to get any response beyond "why don't you get involved" or just a complete blanking of anything perceived as criticism.

DC_Hibs
09-03-2012, 07:19 AM
I try not to get involved in commenting on the Singing Section any more though because it's very difficult/impossible to get any response beyond "why don't you get involved" or just a complete blanking of anything perceived as criticism.

There has been a fair bit of criticising which they are obviously aware of and from what I have seen, they have acted upon some of this such as songs being sun (The Hibs version of Fields of Athenry suggested of late shows they are still learning as rightly or wrongly, thats a song associated with Celtic and some fans will never take to it. Point being - the last thing they need to do is alienate a percentage of the support with that song so it should have been a non starter straight off.

They are never going to please everyone but in the main most Hibs fans will agree improving the atmosphere is necessary and this group are the only ones trying to address this currently (12th man/singing section there also). They also seem to me to be keen to be accepted by the wider Hibs support which is key to increasing their numbers, raising funds for displays and could result in participation from all fans or whole sections in displays for example.

There's always a few phannies with a chip on their shoulder who will have an issue with it regardless so no sense worrying about criticism and concentrate on the positives..........

Turnbull Flag
Selling out 50 seater buses regularly
Displays (maybe small for now but better than nothing and will hopefully grow)
Attempts to introduce new songs (negative for some!!)

There are a few older heads in their group which is necessary with such a young group but if they stick together and grow then the average age is obviously going up season by season as well.

Jack
09-03-2012, 08:48 AM
No he doesn't. You could possibly try the adult thing of explaining why you disagree with him. There seems to be this opinion about the Singing Section that, if you're not involved, you shouldn't offer an opinion or ask a question. The fact remains that the Singing Section have a 'image problem' amongst some sections of the Hibs support. When they deal with that (and I'm sure that they're trying) then more folk might buy into it.

Yes he does ;-)

I think, and would encourage criticism, but only if its done in a positive way and putting forward suggestions as an alternative - which I think I touched on in an adult way as explaining why I thought he did deserve it.

We can all learn through mistakes, even better the mistakes of others such as the Green Brigade at Celtc, but it would be better for Sect 43 if those who choose to question or criticise them explained why and offered positive advice and suggestions - as adults should. :-)

GreenArmy1875
09-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Think us as supporters need to come together on this one. We have longed for a good atmosphere at ER and the more people we get joining Sect 43 the better. Think a few people should maybe help out rather than slating. And all this the atmosphere will improve if we get a winning team on the park, Yes it will help but we need to get behind these players when the chips are down and help them and spur them on...Ask any player a good atmosphere in a gave gives you wee bit extra to help you through games.

:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

frazeHFC
09-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Exactly my thoughts too. There are some people who post negatively about the group offering no advice or sometimes not even a reason. In this case for example, '****ty' flags; why are they ****? What flags does the OP want to see?

nonshinyfinish
09-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Exactly my thoughts too. There are some people who post negatively about the group offering no advice or sometimes not even a reason. In this case for example, '****ty' flags; why are they ****? What flags does the OP want to see?

I think you misread - the OP mentions 'waving a ****ty stick' at people who don't support the singing section. I don't think that's meant to be taken entirely literally. :wink:

frazeHFC
09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
I think you misread - the OP mentions 'waving a ****ty stick' at people who don't support the singing section. I don't think that's meant to be taken entirely literally. :wink:

Aah i see :tee hee:

Still though, a stupid post imo. :agree:

RIP
09-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks for provoking this discussion Mac - it's welcome provided you are willing to come and have a chat at a game. Ideas and time are what we need. I've PM'd you to offer to meet up with the group - there are others who are a lot more active than me. Here's some feedback.

Structure and Future
The Singing Section was an area of seats the club set aside in the new East. No bums - just seats :greengrin
Hibs12thMan was started by a group of supporters in June 2010 to stimulate discussion with fans about improving matchday atmosphere and active supporting
Section43 is the area of seats where Hibs12thMan encouraged people to stand to LEAD the singing
Sect43 are the activist group who make flags, organsise Corteos, create displays, try out new songs, run buses and away days. They are mostly younger dudes but there's a few aulder yins who support the group with experience and communication with the Hibs board
The Aberdeen Red Ultras started in 1999 and disbanded ten years later
Celtic's Green Brigade were set up in 2006 and have been building for six years. The Jungle Bhoys were a separate group started in 2005 but may have folded now
Rangers Blue Order was started in 2002 and the Union Bears were launched in 2007
We are only in Year 2 and still in development

Teething Problems

We tried to grow quickly but got bogged down with websites, forums, meetings and minutes. Loads of chat but little terracing action
We suffered from a few disagreements which was a shame given everybody's love of Hibs, enthusiasm and guid intentions
In a rush to create new songs, some childish stuff was aired which others didn't want to sing
For a time Section43 was a 'group of groups' rather than one section
The initiative coincided with the worst home form in living memory. No Saturday home wins in a year would test the hardiest Hibs supporter's resolve

Achievements to date

£500 raised to install flag storage cabinets under the East Stand
Memoriam flag in tribute to Eddie Turnbull
Several large displays - Green Day, 100 flag day, 100 foot streamers
[*}Venue secured, projector and materials bought to make flags
Several large home-made banners with Sect43 'branding'
Half a dozen new home-made '2-stick' flags on display against St Mirren
Regular away day group including a full bus for the Ayr game. New songs learned on bus
More traditional Hibs Songs reintroduced e.g. Sunshine on Leith, Mental Hibees, Turnbull's Tornadoes
Discussions underway with Hibs about publicising to the wider support
Effective trial of 'safe standing'. Between 300 and 100 fans standing regularly every home game. Area is no longer subject to stewarding
More supporters (groups and individuals) are creating new flags e.g. Ben17, Fenlon Banner, St Pat's Branch

The ambition is to be judged on what we DO, not on what we SAY. So anyone with ideas and or / time please come over to S43 on matchdays and make yourself known

Chuck Rhoades
09-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Cheers for posting Mac. We always welcome any type of feedback as the only way we can improve is by listening to the Hibs support with what they like/dislike.

Firstly, we have a lot of plans in place for next season. Plans for fundraisers, flag making, displays and recruitment. A lot of work will be done during the summer to make sure we improve on this season.

With our current numbers and budget we simply cannot pull off the type of displays we would like to. We have had a couple of Green Days, where lots of flags were hung round the East and waving flags were put on seats. These displays weren't effective as only 25% of the flags were actually picked up and waved. People preferred not to take part. This is completely there choice, so we decided to keep displays on the smaller scale and within the group.

We carried out two streamer displays. Both were a great success. Some cracking videos and photos of both.

We have several 'two-stick' flags along with three main banners that are now brought to all home games. All of the flags were mainly funded by members of the group donating themselves. Other money, such as donations from members on .net/bounce along with profit from the buses we have run have helped build up a cash balance. We are looking to work smarter next season, shopping about, gaining contacts, to ensure we are getting the best value for money on materials, paints, renting rooms to paint large flags etc.

Personally, I am 21 and carry out a lot of work for the group whilst maintaining a full time job. It isn't easy. There are around 8-10 of us between the age of 21-50 who try and keep the younger lads in line and informed. We have seen a change in the mentality of some of them which is great. This is backed up by removing some of the ridiculous songs that were being sung (paedo chants, etc).

We always welcome new members. We now have an identity in the East Stand and sit between Rows CC-FF, Seats 165-180, every home match. More and more fans are now choosing to sit around us to join in with displays and singing which is great.

There will always be members of the support who do not like what we are doing for their own reasons. This was inevitable. However, we want to show the vast majority of the support that what we are trying to do is improve the atmosphere at Easter Road for both the players and the rest of our support. We look to add more colour and noise to the ground as the months go by.

We have had idiots attach themselves to the group which in turn has given us a bad name. We have spoken to the parties concerned and tried to encourage them to stop singing idiotic, racist, sexist songs. There is only so much we can do. We do go about things the right way, set up regular group meetings and discuss problems.

The Groups you mention took 5/6 seasons to be properly recognised. This is our first season and so far we have laid down the foundations of the group and have structured it in such a way that we will not fold and give up - we will always fight to become more successful even if 2/3 decide they have had enough.

In the short-term, we would like more supporters to become involved with displays and singing. This is easy, if there is a flag placed on your seat, don't throw it to the side, wave it.

In the long-term, we would like to sell out the East Stand and carry out card displays that would look magnificent. Until a winning team is put on the park and we start challenging for Europe, we understand that this will not happen.

Finally, as we have not won over the vast majority of the support yet, I do not feel it would be appropriate to bring out the begging bowl and ask for donations. We have a couple of fundraisers on going in the group like a predication league, pontoon etc that have helped fund the group. As noted above, footy cards from the bus and the profits from the bus themselves have made up the majority of our funding. Fans who would like to donate have chosen to PM us or donate via the PayPal link on the S43 forum.

I hope this sums up the group, feel free to ask any further questions either by here, PM or at the Easter Road before a game.

Cheers

woody47
09-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Cheers for posting Mac. We always welcome any type of feedback as the only way we can improve is by listening to the Hibs support with what they like/dislike.

Firstly, we have a lot of plans in place for next season. Plans for fundraisers, flag making, displays and recruitment. A lot of work will be done during the summer to make sure we improve on this season.

With our current numbers and budget we simply cannot pull off the type of displays we would like to. We have had a couple of Green Days, where lots of flags were hung round the East and waving flags were put on seats. These displays weren't effective as only 25% of the flags were actually picked up and waved. People preferred not to take part. This is completely there choice, so we decided to keep displays on the smaller scale and within the group.

We carried out two streamer displays. Both were a great success. Some cracking videos and photos of both.

We have several 'two-stick' flags along with three main banners that are now brought to all home games. All of the flags were mainly funded by members of the group donating themselves. Other money, such as donations from members on .net/bounce along with profit from the buses we have run have helped build up a cash balance. We are looking to work smarter next season, shopping about, gaining contacts, to ensure we are getting the best value for money on materials, paints, renting rooms to paint large flags etc.

Personally, I am 21 and carry out a lot of work for the group whilst maintaining a full time job. It isn't easy. There are around 8-10 of us between the age of 21-50 who try and keep the younger lads in line and informed. We have seen a change in the mentality of some of them which is great. This is backed up by removing some of the ridiculous songs that were being sung (paedo chants, etc).

We always welcome new members. We now have an identity in the East Stand and sit between Rows CC-FF, Seats 165-180, every home match. More and more fans are now choosing to sit around us to join in with displays and singing which is great.

There will always be members of the support who do not like what we are doing for their own reasons. This was inevitable. However, we want to show the vast majority of the support that what we are trying to do is improve the atmosphere at Easter Road for both the players and the rest of our support. We look to add more colour and noise to the ground as the months go by.

We have had idiots attach themselves to the group which in turn has given us a bad name. We have spoken to the parties concerned and tried to encourage them to stop singing idiotic, racist, sexist songs. There is only so much we can do. We do go about things the right way, set up regular group meetings and discuss problems.

The Groups you mention took 5/6 seasons to be properly recognised. This is our first season and so far we have laid down the foundations of the group and have structured it in such a way that we will not fold and give up - we will always fight to become more successful even if 2/3 decide they have had enough.

In the short-term, we would like more supporters to become involved with displays and singing. This is easy, if there is a flag placed on your seat, don't throw it to the side, wave it.

In the long-term, we would like to sell out the East Stand and carry out card displays that would look magnificent. Until a winning team is put on the park and we start challenging for Europe, we understand that this will not happen.

Finally, as we have not won over the vast majority of the support yet, I do not feel it would be appropriate to bring out the begging bowl and ask for donations. We have a couple of fundraisers on going in the group like a predication league, pontoon etc that have helped fund the group. As noted above, footy cards from the bus and the profits from the bus themselves have made up the majority of our funding. Fans who would like to donate have chosen to PM us or donate via the PayPal link on the S43 forum.

I hope this sums up the group, feel free to ask any further questions either by here, PM or at the Easter Road before a game.

Cheers

Excellent post. As I stand in row W in S43 (more than often the front row of fans who stand) I think the singing, banners and streamers make, what has been unenjoyable football to watch, at least an enjoyable sing along.
Keep up the good work :pfgwa

edinburghhibee
10-03-2012, 04:03 AM
So when is the group meeting up for the few pints and where?

Malonga's Cat
10-03-2012, 09:37 AM
From what I have seen of section43, they have been adding some much needed singing/atmosphere to the support. I think they should be commended for trying to support the team in such a positive way. Their contribution away at motherwell (both games) and dunfermline particularly springs to mind.

Keep up the good work. If i'm nearby I will join in and add my not so great singing voice.

Mac
11-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Bouncer Ross & Gogs, great reply guys and exactly the response in which my post weas meant to generate, obviously some took the defensive stance, and to give a really good insight into the organisation in regards to finance and background to the section, i genuinely hope it goes from strenght to strenght and your hard work delivers with bums on seats and a large influx on throat losenges at 5pm pm a Saturday!!

Would be more than happy to get involved but unortuntately my job takes up the majority of my time and should i get involved with anymore groups the Missus will be packing her bags!!

JC & Mikey, cheeky buggers :greengrin ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

p.s cannae sing a note!!