PDA

View Full Version : Oktoberfest

Speedy
07-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Has anyone been?

I'm thinking of going this year.

Not sure what to expect...apart from drinking alot I'm not sure what there is to do.

Any tips?

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Been on my to do list for years, not got round to it yet.

Looks & sounds magic though!

Twa Cairpets
08-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Has anyone been?

Not sure what to expect...apart from drinking alot I'm not sure what there is to do.

Any tips?

Best thing you'll do in your life. Been six times (but not for a few years). It is the absolute dogs danglers.

Book your hotel early, and if the weathers bad, get to the tents early. Try to avoid the middle weekend if you can as the Italians descend and are the only source of hassle I've seen. Best tents are the spaten, hofbrau and lowenbrau, but they all have there attractions. Bottom line is any event that draws 5 million people drinking splendid beer without any real trouble has got to be a good thing.

Any specifics you want to know just send a pm

alhibby
11-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Been many times now, last was 2 years ago, biggest problem I found was finding a seat inside the tents as they are reserved for the peak times (6 - 10), this is relatively new, used to be first come etc, plenty seats outside but that means you miss all the action inside. I definitley recommend going, you will love it. There is always plenty to do in the city too with many good bars etc, but watch out for the "dodgy" bars around the railway station area which is fairly central, the girls on offer mean that the beer prices are way OTT, so are the prices of the girls:wink:

PeeJay
17-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Has anyone been?

Any tips?

It's a great experience if you've never been before - here's a link with some good info.

http://www.oktoberfest-munchen.com/index.html

Enjoy yourself if you go.

hermiehibee
06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
This will be my 5th time in 6 years of going and it is absolutely amazing. Booked from 26 - 28 September with 8 hibees going.

We have started going Wednesday to Friday as the tents are a lot quieter. During the day you can get into any tent up to about 5pm and if you go to Spaten tent about 4.30, they have unreserved seating and you will have a good chance of getting a seat. The waiter will try and fit you in and the atmosphere between everyone is great.

There are great bars in town so you can do the festival in the afternoon and if you have no luck at night, head into town for a good night.

Weekends are manic and on the saturday, you will need to be at a tent by about 8am to get in.

Nothing better than filling up on beer then going on the shows.

The weather last year was about 25 degrees, great for drinking outside.

GET IT BOOKED AND ENJOY

woodythehibee
06-04-2012, 07:18 PM
What kind of spending money is required for Oktoberfest per day on average? I would imagine the beer would be quite pricey

yeezus.
06-04-2012, 07:40 PM
I hear it's mental ... there is something similar in Poland with cheaper booze apparently .. really cheap booze.

Keith_M
10-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Gentlemen, to avoid sounding too much like a tourist, please do NOT call it the Oktoberfest!

It's called the Wiesn (pronounced "Veezin")

Oh, and you have two choices as to where your eyes are pointing as you walk along the street. You can happily stare at the amply busted young ladies if you like, as long as you realise it will mean you've just stood in that pile of sick on the pavement because you weren't paying enough attention. At my age, the cleanliness of my shoes takes precedence but it is a personal choice :wink:

PeeJay
13-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Gentlemen, to avoid sounding too much like a tourist, please do NOT call it the Oktoberfest!

It's called the Wiesn (pronounced "Veezin")

In Minga perhaps ... could a case not be made for claiming that most people visiting the Wiesn are in fact tourists anyway - or worse still saupreußen?

Bit like them Bayern München fans really - most of whom come from elsewhere, surely ...:rolleyes:

Greetings from Berlin :greengrin

Pfià de