PDA

View Full Version : Standing Section at Easter Road

RIP
06-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Since the East Stand was built we have had a few hundred in the standing section which spans across the top Sections 42 to 44. It's a fairly healthy mix of ages from their sixties down to bairns.

It's definitely a different experience standing with your mates at a fitba match. Since 2010 when I bought my laddies (now 13 and 15) a season ticket they have never sat at a home game. They also stand at some away games such as East End Park. When they do have to sit - it just feels weird

It was a great crack on Saturday standing with an older crowd, talking about the Turnbull days. We joined in with the singing and were all delighted to hear the Mental Hibees get an airing.

Looking forward to standing at Ayr on Saturday. Let's get back to a real Terracing experience by packing out our own Standing Section :thumbsup: :flag:

frazeHFC
06-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I have been in the FF for years, and the odd away games i would go to i would be sitting. Only been this season i have got used to standing, and i prefer it much better, standing singing etc. :thumbsup:

monktonharp
06-03-2012, 11:59 PM
4 of us recently stood for the whole game at Motherwell, no one bothered us and we did not block anyones view. we were all aulder gadgies, and just felt like it "was" after about 20 minutes.think we did have a wee sit at HT, though:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Christ, even I will be standing at Ayr on Saturday :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
07-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Looking forward to Ayr game. Not looking forward to standing for the whole game.

down-the-slope
07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Looking forward to Ayr game. Not looking forward to standing for the whole game.

This should be a smillie :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Suits you sir. :-)

RIP
07-03-2012, 02:39 PM
4 of us recently stood for the whole game at Motherwell, no one bothered us and we did not block anyones view. we were all aulder gadgies, and just felt like it "was" after about 20 minutes.think we did have a wee sit at HT, though:greengrin

I almost think it suits us "aulder gadgies" more. It's how we were brought up at Easter Road.

beensaidbefore
07-03-2012, 07:05 PM
when you see foreign grounds on tv they look like they have a much better atmosphere and it makes you want to be there and involved with the singing and jumping about. Im not sure how many Italians/Spanish/Turks will be queing up for any SPL game. We need to give supporters a bit of credit, and also the police/stewards who will all be well versed in crowd safety. The taylor report served a purpose, but football stadia have changed massively and probably the footballing crowd too. We need to get it sorted and get some life back in the game.

I said when we built the new east, we should have put room for 1000 standing front centre in a 'trial' which if unsuccessful could have been seated.

Would public opinion change the authorities stance on the matter? Im sure the majority of fans from most clubs would like to see the return of the terracing, in one stand at least?

sahib
07-03-2012, 07:34 PM
when you see foreign grounds on tv they look like they have a much better atmosphere and it makes you want to be there and involved with the singing and jumping about. Im not sure how many Italians/Spanish/Turks will be queing up for any SPL game. We need to give supporters a bit of credit, and also the police/stewards who will all be well versed in crowd safety. The taylor report served a purpose, but football stadia have changed massively and probably the footballing crowd too. We need to get it sorted and get some life back in the game.

I said when we built the new east, we should have put room for 1000 standing front centre in a 'trial' which if unsuccessful could have been seated.

Would public opinion change the authorities stance on the matter? Im sure the majority of fans from most clubs would like to see the return of the terracing, in one stand at least?

Is the East stand built to withstand the extra force of dafties standing and jumping?

frazeHFC
07-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Is the East stand built to withstand the extra force of dafties standing and jumping?

I take it you are joking with the 'dafties' comment? Cos it is a very strange thing to say. :confused:

down-the-slope
07-03-2012, 08:44 PM

The level of tolerance built into structures like this is massive....

Anyone at Ibrox when 7500 Hibees did the Hibee bounce in the Govan Stand as we trolleyed them in the cup...the whole structure flexed in a way that could only imagiene unless you are there....

I'm sure the recent 'Poznan' celebrations at some clubs will be testing things further as the effect of linking arm and doing in unison will be creating a wave force effect....and no sign of these large stands falling over...

Hibernia&Alba
07-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Safe standing areas would have the double benefit of improving atmosphere at stadia and of lowering ticket prices in said areas. It's only right to pay less to stand throughout a game, which should increased attendances.

lucky
07-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Hibs are not going to spend money ripping out seats when they are not paid for. Our grounds to big as it is. Rather money was spent on team or reducing costs for fans

Hibernia&Alba
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Hibs are not going to spend money ripping out seats when they are not paid for. Our grounds to big as it is. Rather money was spent on team or reducing costs for fans

The seats aren't removed in a safe standing area, mate. Rather they can be bolted upright and still be used when necessity dictates e.g. european ties. A lot of Grman clubs have them.

frazeHFC
07-03-2012, 11:25 PM
The seats aren't removed in a safe standing area, mate. Rather they can be bolted upright and still be used when necessity dictates e.g. european ties. A lot of Grman clubs have them.

There was something in the paper when the safe standing was first talked about, saying that the seats would need to be removed for 'safety' reasons. Dunno why, people stand now and its fine.

PatHead
07-03-2012, 11:27 PM

Afraid it isn't as straightforward as that. The seats have crash barriers attached and would cost Hibs a lot to instal correctly

Hibernia&Alba
07-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Afraid it isn't as straightforward as that. The seats have crash barriers attached and would cost Hibs a lot to instal correctly

Yes, there would be a cost, but you're only talking about a couple of thousand seats for a standing section. If safe standing is ever allowed, I hope it would be looked at carefully by clubs.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Trouble with trying to put a standing area in now is that the new east is just far too steep.

blackpoolhibs
07-03-2012, 11:47 PM
I manage to stand up each and every half time in the new east stand. I have not fallen over yet, and i was pretty pissed more than once. :greengrin

frazeHFC
07-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Trouble with trying to put a standing area in now is that the new east is just far too steep.

I think it would be good in the West lower near the away end, normally pretty empty anyway there. Alternatively people have even mentioned the FF. Tbh i like it how it is, if you want to stand just got to S43/44 cos everyone stands anyway, so it wouldn't make much difference.

RIP
08-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Yup. Over 40 games since the East Stand was opened with anything from 300 to 1000 standing per game is 200,000 instances of standing with no noticeable accidents to date

sahib
08-03-2012, 08:18 AM
I take it you are joking with the 'dafties' comment? Cos it is a very strange thing to say. :confused:

Nope

frazeHFC
08-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Nope

:faf:

So you have a lower opinion of people standing and singing/bouncing than people who sit?

Beefster
08-03-2012, 08:51 AM
:faf:

So you have a lower opinion of people standing and singing/bouncing than people who sit?

I'm sure that he knows plenty of dafties who sit down too.

Andy74
08-03-2012, 09:35 AM
When the team is winning again and people are enjoying the game this sort of talk will disappear.

You don't just create atmospheres simply with with special sections or with standing areas.

Celtic managed just fine a couple of weeks ago to have a great time with the current seats all still there and no designated singing section.

RIP
08-03-2012, 12:47 PM
When the team is winning again and people are enjoying the game this sort of talk will disappear.

You don't just create atmospheres simply with with special sections or with standing areas.

Celtic managed just fine a couple of weeks ago to have a great time with the current seats all still there and no designated singing section.

Totally agree Andy, you don't just create atmospheres simply with with special sections or with standing areas.

But then nobody's claiming that there's a better atmosphere in a standing area. Most Hibbies prefer to sit, I was just saying what a pleasure it is to be able to stand if you want to. No-one needs to take the seats out as they flip back easily.

Celtic was a one-off. They had just had the best news they've had in a century and regardless of what ground they were at they were always going to celebrate in style with a massive bevvy and party.

It may be churlish to point this out, but every single one of them was standing. Their flag displays were well funded and organised and their singing was 100% orchestrated by the group in the centre from the Green Brigade and their 'Capo'

Hibernia&Alba
08-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Totally agree Andy, you don't just create atmospheres simply with with special sections or with standing areas.

But then nobody's claiming that there's a better atmosphere in a standing area. Most Hibbies prefer to sit, I was just saying what a pleasure it is to be able to stand if you want to. No-one needs to take the seats out as they flip back easily.

Celtic was a one-off. They had just had the best news they've had in a century and regardless of what ground they were at they were always going to celebrate in style with a massive bevvy and party.

It may be churlish to point this out, but every single one of them was standing. Their flag displays were well funded and organised and their singing was 100% orchestrated by the group in the centre from the Green Brigade and their 'Capo'

I actually think there is, Gogs. It's much easier to party stood up than when sitting down.

Thomson1875
08-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Think i have only sat twice since following hibs, once at st mirren away and once at easter road in the old east, must admit i hate sitting at football just doesn't feel the same.

I think it was celtic who have been thinking about installing a safe standing area - like the ones you see in Germany. There was a person going round SPL clubs as far as i know with demonstrations of it, not sure if they have been to ER though.

Hibs wouldn't install one / wouldn't like to see them either until we have a team on the park. It wouldn't be cheap either, i'll stick to bruised shins for know. I have seen people at the derbys at home fly over 4-5 rows through the madness of it all, great scenes although pretty dangerous.

On the point of sections/groups where the singing comes from the green brigade at celtic have connected well with the rest of there support which makes there group work, they lead the singing. As much as i hate celtic/green brigade, they are a very good group. Still mind watching the bigot festival on the box and seeing the whole ground doing the 'huddle' looked fantastic in all honesty.

DH1875
08-03-2012, 02:49 PM
If it were reflected in the price I'd be well up for a standing area. Have the SPL not already said that if a club wants to give it a trial run they'd be OK with it.

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I have stated my opinions on being opposed to bringing safe standing areas to football many times on previous threads. (Don't want to debate that point again or go on about my reasons and opposite opinions from others). However can I say that I am standing at Ayr and damn well looking forward to it, as Saturday looms I feel excited at the prospect of standing in an old fashioned type football ground just like back in the day! Bizarre eh!!!!

frazeHFC
08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
I can't wait for terracing on Saturday. :thumbsup: Cowdenbeath terracing wasn't the greatest, so hopefully Ayr is! :thumbsup:

:flag:

Phil MaGlass
08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
who knows, if we get relegated we could be standing at alot more games:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
08-03-2012, 03:22 PM
who knows, if we get relegated we could be standing at alot more games:greengrin

:I'm waiti

So how many Hibees will there be at Ayr? :flag:

silverhibee
08-03-2012, 04:31 PM
I can't wait for terracing on Saturday. :thumbsup: Cowdenbeath terracing wasn't the greatest, so hopefully Ayr is! :thumbsup:

:flag:

And you can :smokin as well. :greengrin

Keith_M
08-03-2012, 04:59 PM
I have stated my opinions on being opposed to bringing safe standing areas to football many times on previous threads. (Don't want to debate that point again or go on about my reasons and opposite opinions from others). However can I say that I am standing at Ayr and damn well looking forward to it, as Saturday looms I feel excited at the prospect of standing in an old fashioned type football ground just like back in the day! Bizarre eh!!!!

Have you two ever heard of "Dissociative identity disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder)", sometimes wrongly called Schizophrenia?

:wink:

At The Edge
08-03-2012, 05:22 PM
:I'm waiti

So how many Hibees will there be at Ayr? :flag:

Around 3000,

RIP
08-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Around 3000,

Are you going Rab ya radge?

At The Edge
08-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Are you going Rab ya radge?

Oh yes, looking forward to it, will have a blast of Cocksparrer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voxswLwzLe0)just before i go in

'so remember out there somewhere you've got a friend
and you'll never walk alone again'

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Have you two ever heard of "Dissociative identity disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder)", sometimes wrongly called Schizophrenia?

:wink:

Yes I've heard of it but............................................he hasn't! :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
08-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Around 3000,

That's fantastic support. Let's hope the team reward it with a result.

Joe Baker II
09-03-2012, 11:58 AM

If the club are really taking this attitude they are saying to fans who prefer to stand do not buy a season ticket in order to put a financial incentive on club to change its stance - is this what you really want.

Though given Hibs have relaxed the no-standing line they took at the end of the 2010-11 season (though not sure they wanted too) do not want to be too critical.

And realted point to above - I will make my decision on renewing season ticket next year partly dependent on what the club do to encouraging fans being allowed to stand without hassle at away games too btw.