PDA

View Full Version : NHC All the talk of change...This is the action

down-the-slope
06-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Butcher is a man I like (my vote before PF was appointed)

Lets hope his voice is heard...agree totally what he says...I have berrated the demise of reserve league..its a disgrace..

Terry Butcher blast for proposed SPL Under-20s set-up
Inverness Caley Thistle manager Terry Butcher has hit out at proposals to introduce a new Under-20s division for Scottish Premier League clubs.
The suggested set-up would replace the current U19 league and allow five over-age players to be fielded.
But Butcher told BBC Scotland: "I think it's a step in the wrong direction.
"It's been like tutorials, we're being told 'this is what you will do'. We've not been asked our opinion and we don't like to be dictated to."
The SPL are keen on copying the model used in the Netherlands but Butcher fears it suits neither his younger players or more experienced heads on the fringes of the first team.
"There's no reserve league now, which I think is utterly wrong," added Butcher.
"This Under-20s league is going to kill us because you're looking at getting half a squad of youngsters and playing over-age players in the league for practice, so what games are the kids going to play in?

"It's not a good schooling for 16 and 17-years-olds.
"If you've got seven subs on a Saturday, you have seven players that need to play during the week.
"And we can't play bounce games at home because no one will come to us.
"Let's go back to what we had before - a reserve league and an Under-19s league. It wasn't wrong. It wasn't broke, so why did they have to fix it?"

down-the-slope
06-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Its worying that these proposed changes that could further damage the game are being lost in the midst of all thats going on at Ibrox.....

Some may say that is convienient..:rolleyes:

leithsansiro
06-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Considering he always struck me as an idiot when he played for England and Rangers, the man talks a lot of sense now :agree:

Jonnyboy
06-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm all for bringing back the reserves set up DTS - sensible move and can only benefit the club

BroxburnHibee
06-03-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't think Hibs wanted the reserve league abolished

Was always a disgraceful decision

This smacks of a compromise

Saorsa
06-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Considering he always struck me as an idiot when he played for England and Rangers, the man talks a lot of sense now :agree::agree: thinks he's bang on with what he says there.

Baldy Foghorn
06-03-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm all for bringing back the reserves set up DTS - sensible move and can only benefit the club

Agree should never have been scrapped

Eyrie
06-03-2012, 09:14 PM
How many clubs can afford enough players for a reserve team? Even after allowing for the seven subs from the weekend and those senior players not involved, most clubs would need to use u19s to fill the bench.

I think the u20s idea is a reasonable one, although I'd restrict the overage players to only three. Alternatively have five in the squad with only three allowed on the pitch at any one time.