05-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Good goal from John Rankin.

H18sry
05-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Great opening goal from John Rankin

Mikeystewart
05-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Great opening goal from John Rankin

And to think that effort against Celtic got him a T-shirt, that was even better an absolute beauty!!

greenlex
05-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Dont believe it. He's crap isnt he?

Pretty Boy
05-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Strange one Rankin.

Seems to be doing well at United and was solid enough at ICT before that but it just never happened.for him at Hibs.

jonty
05-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Strange one [insert players name here].

Seems to be doing well at [post-hibs-club] and was solid enough at [pre-hibs-club] before that but it just never happened for him at Hibs.

the curse of Hibs.

leither17
05-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Strange one Rankin.

Seems to be doing well at United and was solid enough at ICT before that but it just never happened.for him at Hibs.

Just typical hibs always seems to happen here

I'm_cabbaged
05-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Strange one Rankin.

Maybe because he had proper midfielders playing beside him and "supporters" that weren't / aren't on his back all the time.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Dont believe it. He's crap isnt he?

You can almost guarantee this post will appear from someone on one of these threads when an ex hibs player scores.

CRAZYHIBBY
05-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Rankin was deeply hurt by the level of abuse he got from some sections of the hibs support and the fact the fans were constantly on his back meant he couldnt relax and enjoy his football.........said so himself

Joe's ice cream
05-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Maybe because he had proper midfielders playing beside him and "supporters" that weren't / aren't on his back all the time.

100% agree with you on this

woody47
05-03-2012, 08:42 PM
and according to the muppet commentator, Rankin scored his squiggler against Boric when he was playing for .............................ICT. Where do they find these commentators?

Hibi
05-03-2012, 08:46 PM
100% agree with you on this

Absolutely, I laugh when I read about people wishing we had the likes of Ian Black....I could almost guarantee he would have been written off at us as being "no stanton" or "not Hibs class".

blackpoolhibs
05-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Rankin was deeply hurt by the level of abuse he got from some sections of the hibs support and the fact the fans were constantly on his back meant he couldnt relax and enjoy his football.........said so himself

I was deeply hurt by the level of his performances, constantly.

--------
05-03-2012, 08:50 PM

And a manager with a clue? :rolleyes:

BoltonHibee
05-03-2012, 08:51 PM

Good excuse

Hermit Crab
05-03-2012, 08:56 PM
2-0

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Magic bit of skill by Robertson to shoulder that ball into the net!

--------
05-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Good excuse

Well, right now we have as good an away record as any team in the SPL bar the top 4 or 5. Our home record sucks. Must be some reason for this, because it's the same players, the same manager and coaching staff, the same preparation home and away.

Maybe the away support's better at getting behind the team than the moanin-faced whatsits in the stands at ER?

bingo70
05-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Rankin was pish for us so he got criticised for it, that's what happens when you play professional football, and not just at hibs.

blackpoolhibs
05-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Well, right now we have as good an away record as any team in the SPL bar the top 4 or 5. Our home record sucks. Must be some reason for this, because it's the same players, the same manager and coaching staff, the same preparation home and away.

Maybe the away support's better at getting behind the team than the moanin-faced whatsits in the stands at ER?

How did Stokes manage to play so well under Hughes, how did Garry O'Conner manage to play so well under Calderclown?

Why did Michael Hart not improve under Fenlon?

Its become fashionable to blame everyone but the player when their form is bad.

Hibercelona
05-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Rankin was pish for us so he got criticised for it, that's what happens when you play professional football, and not just at hibs.

Theres a reason why good players are pish when they play for us, its because they're surrounded by far too many passengers. And we as fans expect them to produce the goods all on their own when they simply can't.

Players leave Hibs and go to clubs where they're surrounded by solid players (not passengers) then they're able to show off just how good they actually are.

Players don't just intentionally choose not to perform at Hibs.

bingo70
05-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Theres a reason why good players are pish when they play for us, its because they're surrounded by far too many passengers. And we as fans expect them to produce the goods all on their own when they simply can't.

Players leave Hibs and go to clubs where they're surrounded by solid players (not passengers) then they're able to show off just how good they actually are.

So it was his team mates fault and the fans fault?

If he was so good he should have rose above the rest and not lowered himself to there standard, he should have been grabbing games by the scruff of the neck but he simply wasn't good enough so we, as fans rightly demanded better.

Rankin was gash and a goal against calley thistle won't change my opinion of him

Scouse Hibee
05-03-2012, 09:15 PM

By all accounts that's exactly what GOC has chosen to do! Who else is to blame for his obvious lack of fitness and his choice of ale olympics every weekend?

Hermit Crab
05-03-2012, 09:27 PM
3-0 great goal by russel

gorgie_harp
05-03-2012, 09:28 PM

:agree::agree:

Hibbyradge
05-03-2012, 09:42 PM
By all accounts that's exactly what GOC has chosen to do! Who else is to blame for his obvious lack of fitness and his choice of ale olympics every weekend?

The judicial system?

Hibbyradge
05-03-2012, 09:43 PM
So it was his team mates fault and the fans fault?

If he was so good he should have rose above the rest and not lowered himself to there standard, he should have been grabbing games by the scruff of the neck but he simply wasn't good enough so we, as fans rightly demanded better.

Rankin was gash and a goal against calley thistle won't change my opinion of him

He's scored 4 so far this season. :agree:

hibsbollah
05-03-2012, 09:46 PM

Absolutely. lets not revise history, Rankin was complete garbage in 9 out of 10 games he played for us. He had to go.

Scouse Hibee
05-03-2012, 09:49 PM
The judicial system?

Is that a drinking game? :greengrin

bingo70
05-03-2012, 09:57 PM
He's scored 4 so far this season. :agree:

For a team in the top six I don't think that's particularly impressive?

matty_f
05-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Absolutely. lets not revise history, Rankin was complete garbage in 9 out of 10 games he played for us. He had to go.

Would never fault Rankin for work rate etc, but frankly you're right. He wasn't good enough and moving him on was the right thing to do. Good luck to him, I hope he does well at United because he never gave anything less than 100% for Hibs.

500miles
05-03-2012, 10:17 PM

I agree. Let's not revise history. Let's not ignore the fact that, particularly when the seasons were drawing to a close, Rankin was neigh on a one man midfield. Let's not forget how his fitness levels far surpassed that of ANYONE else at the club. Let's not revise the fact that when Mixu brought him in from ICT, he was crucial in steadying a ship which was rapidly sinking. His critics are more guilty of revisionism than anyone! They said he had no pace - bollocks. They said he couldn't pass a ball - lies (made embarrassingly clear when one member of this board posted his Opta Stats in response to some ***** like "Rankin didn't find his own man all day" - when he had something like a 95% pass accuracy rate) He was tenacious in persuing possession, with two good feet, and gave 100% every week. And he was a big game player - goals against Celtic and Rangers. But the move that showed him at his best, for me, was Danny Galbraith's goal against Celtic, when every other player was dead on thier feet after 90 minutes, Rankin made the clearance from his own box, to find the pacy Galbraith, and mustered both the stamina and the speed to support him, and set up his goal. And there was a number of times when Rankin didn't play, and me and my mates - particularly Mountcastle Hibs - walked away thinking " we could have done with Rankin today".

Rankin's biggest problem was that he came after some of the finest midfielders in our recent history - particularly Scott Brown.

It's not like Dundee United just thought "John Rankin is on a free...we'll sign him up on the off chance he'll do a job", they had tracked his situation at Hibs since Mixu left. They asked Yogi about his availability when he arrived. They knew, and have known for a long time, that he is a good player. And he's shown it in a midfield where he's not asked to be a one man army. It always mystified me how so few people saw this.

It's good to see him silence a few of his doubters, but it's a shame that it's not at our advantage.

BroxburnHibee
05-03-2012, 10:20 PM
I agree. Let's not revise history. Let's not ignore the fact that, particularly when the seasons were drawing to a close, Rankin was neigh on a one man midfield. Let's not forget how his fitness levels far surpassed that of ANYONE else at the club. Let's not revise the fact that when Mixu brought him in from ICT, he was crucial in steadying a ship which was rapidly sinking. His critics are more guilty of revisionism than anyone! They said he had no pace - bollocks. They said he couldn't pass a ball - lies (made embarrassingly clear when one member of this board posted his Opta Stats in response to some ***** like "Rankin didn't find his own man all day" - when he had something like a 95% pass accuracy rate) He was tenacious in persuing possession, with two good feet, and gave 100% every week. And he was a big game player - goals against Celtic and Rangers. But the move that showed him at his best, for me, was Danny Galbraith's goal against Celtic, when every other player was dead on thier feet after 90 minutes, Rankin made the clearance from his own box, to find the pacy Galbraith, and mustered both the stamina and the speed to support him, and set up his goal. And there was a number of times when Rankin didn't play, and me and my mates - particularly Mountcastle Hibs - walked away thinking " we could have done with Rankin today".

Rankin's biggest problem was that he came after some of the finest midfielders in our recent history - particularly Scott Brown.

It's not like Dundee United just thought "John Rankin is on a free...we'll sign him up on the off chance he'll do a job", they had tracked his situation at Hibs since Mixu left. They asked Yogi about his availability when he arrived. They knew, and have known for a long time, that he is a good player. And he's shown it in a midfield where he's not asked to be a one man army. It always mystified me how so few people saw this.

It's good to see him silence a few of his doubters, but it's a shame that it's not at our advantage.

Nah - he was pish :greengrin

monktonharp
06-03-2012, 12:53 AM
I kept thinking there's a player in there somewhere, relating to Rankin. in fact I started a thread on the subject a while ago, I thought he would eventually come up with the goods for us.But, heigh ho there we go , he's suddenly turning in good performances most times he plays. for us though, I certainly agree with a previous poster that he played 1 in 10 good games fur HFC.never liked him,after seeing him swan about the EM Training centre,just swanning about from various offices, as if he was just an auld workmate in for a visit.It was his abominable miss at Ayr, I think that got us done, the last time doon there.

Onion
06-03-2012, 05:23 AM

Sadly, by the time he left Hibs there were very few doubters. Most were convinced he was not good enough after years of inept performances.

Dashing Bob S
06-03-2012, 05:37 AM
Sadly, by the time he left Hibs there were very few doubters. Most were convinced he was not good enough after years of inept performances.

To be fair to JR he worked hard over the years to cement that opinion. Few players were as consistent in their mediocrity as he. If he's looking the part then it speaks volumes about how far Hibs have fallen in particular, and how bad Scottish football is in general.