PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's result - two points dropped in relegation battle

The Sea-gull
05-03-2012, 08:48 AM
How ever much we deserved to win the game, I view Saturday's result as two points dropped even though we moved another point clear of the Pars.

Looking at the fixtures, not winning on Saturday could really hurt us. I appreciate results will not all go to plan and there will be twists and turns but if we look at the run in fixtures this was a weekend we really could have done with all three points. Dunfermline would probably have not been surprised to lose to in-form third placed Motherwell and would probably have thought we'd beat St Mirren so in a bizarre way the weekend was a bonus to them. I have a feeling they will win a game at home before the split, I'm not so sure Hibs will win another game in that period.

Hibs remaining games before split (including Saturday's game) -

3rd March - Hibs v St Mirren - should have been getting a win but didn't. 3 points were estimated.
18th March - Hearts v Hibs - could get something but will most likely lose. 0 points.
24th March - Hibs v Dundee Utd
1st April - ICT v Hibs
8th April - Hibs v Motherwell

The last three games, we could maybe fashion 3/4 points from but it will be tough.

Hibs estimated points = 6/7 points (but we have already dropped 2 in the St Mirren game so subtracting 2 estimate is down to 4/5, 2 points already off our estimated total before Saturday's match)

Pars remaining games before split (including Saturday's game) -

3rd March - Pars v Motherwell - nobody expected them to get anything.
24th March - Pars v St Mirren
31st March - Dundee United v Pars
7th April - Pars v Hearts

I could see them getting at least 3 points from those last three games so they'll probably still be behind us come the split but maybe not as much as they could have been had we beaten St Mirren.

Twists and turns sure to come but got a feeling we'll look at Saturday as two points dropped. This still looks like it could go to the wire.

calumhibee1
05-03-2012, 08:51 AM
I'd be surprised to see Dunfermline pick up more than 6 more points this season.

Hibercelona
05-03-2012, 10:27 AM
You don't deserve to win unless you win, its as simple as that.

Captain Trips
05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
How ever much we deserved to win the game, I view Saturday's result as two points dropped even though we moved another point clear of the Pars.

Looking at the fixtures, not winning on Saturday could really hurt us. I appreciate results will not all go to plan and there will be twists and turns but if we look at the run in fixtures this was a weekend we really could have done with all three points. Dunfermline would probably have not been surprised to lose to in-form third placed Motherwell and would probably have thought we'd beat St Mirren so in a bizarre way the weekend was a bonus to them. I have a feeling they will win a game at home before the split, I'm not so sure Hibs will win another game in that period.

Hibs remaining games before split (including Saturday's game) -

3rd March - Hibs v St Mirren - should have been getting a win but didn't. 3 points were estimated.
18th March - Hearts v Hibs - could get something but will most likely lose. 0 points.
24th March - Hibs v Dundee Utd
1st April - ICT v Hibs
8th April - Hibs v Motherwell

The last three games, we could maybe fashion 3/4 points from but it will be tough.

Hibs estimated points = 6/7 points (but we have already dropped 2 in the St Mirren game so subtracting 2 estimate is down to 4/5, 2 points already off our estimated total before Saturday's match)

Pars remaining games before split (including Saturday's game) -

3rd March - Pars v Motherwell - nobody expected them to get anything.
24th March - Pars v St Mirren
31st March - Dundee United v Pars
7th April - Pars v Hearts

I could see them getting at least 3 points from those last three games so they'll probably still be behind us come the split but maybe not as much as they could have been had we beaten St Mirren.

Twists and turns sure to come but got a feeling we'll look at Saturday as two points dropped. This still looks like it could go to the wire.

It is 2pts dropped but the point we got in effect means Dunfermline still need to win 2 matches to get above us while we pick up no points, we do not have out troubles to seek but nor do Dunfermline.

It is going to be close if we can get a wee run even 2 wins on trot it should see us however Dunfermline havent had any real run either and I hope they do not have one. If they had a wee run that could be a disaster but they are not looking likely.

nonshinyfinish
05-03-2012, 10:55 AM
You don't deserve to win unless you win, its as simple as that.

That is patently untrue.

Stevie Reid
05-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Don't see it as two points dropped at all, we were never in a winning position and have ended the day gaining a point on our main rivals. We have won 5 out of 29 games in the SPL this season, and 1 out of 15 at home - on top of that we were playing a team 8 points ahead of us in the league, who had beaten us at ER earlier this season. The reality of our situation is that we are hardly in a position to expect 3 points against anyone, and got a decent point against what has this season been a solid, mid table team - something we currently aspire to be.

Whilst the game was a very good opportunity to get another home win, I struggle to see how the result could possibly be argued as two points dropped in any way.

Hibercelona
05-03-2012, 11:08 AM
That is patently untrue.

If you score more goals than your opponent then you win games, which is the whole point of football.

If you fail to score more goals than your opponent, then you don't deserve to win.

Keith_M
05-03-2012, 11:10 AM
I think the management team and players will see it as two points dropped (or at least I hope so).

Our pre-February team and their results is now irrelevant, it's what we have now that counts and, IMHO, the current team is much more capable of winning at home against teams like St Mirren.

nonshinyfinish
05-03-2012, 11:15 AM
If you score more goals than your opponent then you win games, which is the whole point of football.

If you fail to score more goals than your opponent, then you don't deserve to win.

Bollocks.

The reason that football is so compelling as a sport is the fact that the better team doesn't always win. If you ever watch basketball, you'll know that the team that plays better almost always wins - the frequency of scoring usually evens out lucky breaks or wrong refereeing decisions. This is not the case in football - one or two lucky breaks can give a win to a team that has been utterly dominated.

Hibercelona
05-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Bollocks.

The reason that football is so compelling as a sport is the fact that the better team doesn't always win. If you ever watch basketball, you'll know that the team that plays better almost always wins - the frequency of scoring usually evens out lucky breaks or wrong refereeing decisions. This is not the case in football - one or two lucky breaks can give a win to a team that has been utterly dominated.

You seem to be under the belief that "possession and shots at goal/on target" = dominance. Well it doesn't.

The amount of shots you have on target is irrelevant. How many actually cross the goal line IS relevent.

If players aren't good enough to get the ball past the goal line, then they don't deserve to win. It's not even debatable.

nonshinyfinish
05-03-2012, 11:50 AM
You seem to be under the belief that "possession and shots at goal/on target" = dominance. Well it doesn't.

The amount of shots you have on target is irrelevant. How many actually cross the goal line IS relevent.

If players aren't good enough to get the ball past the goal line, then they don't deserve to win. It's not even debatable.

Sigh.

On Saturday, McPake had a header which their keeper did well to save. By your logic, if he had failed to save it and it went in, then we would suddenly 'deserve to win'. Despite Hibs having done nothing different, despite the only difference being the opposition keeper making or not making a save, we go from deserving a draw to deserving a win. What nonsense.

Thecat23
05-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Don't think I've read such rubbish in a while to be honest. So a team that has say 12 shots and the keeper is outstanding or they hit the post/bar they deserve to be beat because the other team then run up and the guy miss hits it and it goes in off the post. Course it's goals that count but to say a team deserves nothing if the other score more goals is ridiculous.

PeeJay
05-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Think you're quite right - although 1 goal at home in the last four home games would seem to suggest that 1 point is all we can really hope for...

Andy74
05-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Don't think I've read such rubbish in a while to be honest. So a team that has say 12 shots and the keeper is outstanding or they hit the post/bar they deserve to be beat because the other team then run up and the guy miss hits it and it goes in off the post. Course it's goals that count but to say a team deserves nothing if the other score more goals is ridiculous.

The goalkeeper is part of the team as well mind!

I think there is obviously a balance here as sometimes you may have had far more of the game and chances but ultimately, if you didn't take them, or the other team has stopped them going in then that's all part of the game and you ultimately get what you deserved.

Hibernia&Alba
05-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I was hopeful we could kick on after the great win at Killie to take what would have been a huge three points. Must admit I was a bit frustrated our shocking home form put pay to that idea. Still, a clean sheet and a further point ahead of the Pars and with a game in hand. It's hard work but we're improving, and Dunfermline are so poor I don't think they'll gain many more points. With the right attitude we'll stay up, then there's a big job over the summer to ensure we don't find ourselves in this state twelve months from now. Root and branch analysis of the whole situation from everyone at the club.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-03-2012, 01:16 PM
We did what the label on the tin says, and that is match or better what Dunfermline did. Anyone who has attended both home games can see a huge difference and can see that we now have extra gear.
The OP might want want to consider working in the photograph department in Boots. They are always looking for people who can concentrate on the negatives.

Thecat23
05-03-2012, 01:28 PM
The goalkeeper is part of the team as well mind!

I think there is obviously a balance here as sometimes you may have had far more of the game and chances but ultimately, if you didn't take them, or the other team has stopped them going in then that's all part of the game and you ultimately get what you deserved.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, the keeper plays outstanding but by what he's saying is that doesn't matter it's our players fault if we get beat.

I don't agree at all with that. On some occasions I've came away thinking we were very unlucky to lose and thought the other team didn't deserve it. Just because a team scores more does not mean they deserve it Andy.

PatHead
05-03-2012, 01:28 PM
We did what the label on the tin says, and that is match or better what Dunfermline did. Anyone who has attended both home games can see a huge difference and can see that we now have extra gear.
The OP might want want to consider working in the photograph department in Boots. They are always looking for people who can concentrate on the negatives.

Before I get shot down in flames I thought we deserved to win against a poor St Mirren team who should have been down to 10 men in the first half. Where I disagree is I though we didn't have an extra gear. There were a number occassions when either O'Donovan or Griffiths got into a good position but there was no support from midfield and no one made the run taking a chance on the ball getting into a dangerous position. The only time I think it happened was O'D from Griffiths poor free kick and the goalkeeper saved that.

We do look much more solid and comfortable in possession though compared to earlier in the season.

Dashing Bob S
05-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Before I get shot down in flames I thought we deserved to win against a poor St Mirren team who should have been down to 10 men in the first half. Where I disagree is I though we didn't have an extra gear. There were a number occassions when either O'Donovan or Griffiths got into a good position but there was no support from midfield and no one made the run taking a chance on the ball getting into a dangerous position. The only time I think it happened was O'D from Griffiths poor free kick and the goalkeeper saved that.

We do look much more solid and comfortable in possession though compared to earlier in the season.

The relegation battle is over.

DAFC are toast.

PatHead
05-03-2012, 02:02 PM
The relegation battle is over.

DAFC are toast.

Wish I shared your confidence. If they fluke a win against us after the split it would be squeaky bum time.

Will only relax when the end of the season comes just before we go to Hampden to pick up the Cup.

The Sea-gull
05-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Still maintain that out of our remaining pre-split fixtures, it was the most winnable game and we didn't win it so therefore 2points dropped. Of course that doesn't mean we won't pick up some points from the other games which appear tougher.

Too many people seem to be thinking that we'll some how go on a bursting run and storm to safety. Or that Dunfermline will continue to pick up next to nothing thus saving us. These situations may happen but if we don't start picking up points in home games v St Mirren and they do then it is squeaky bum time.

basehibby
05-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Just about anything can be viewed from a glass half full or glass half empty perspective and you have chosen to take the later view.

But it is also very easy to take a positive perspective on saturday's game - up until very recently clean sheets at Easter Road were about as common as hen's teeth and, much as we easily had the lion's share of positive possession, that clean sheet still means progress and a point very much gained.

On that display I am a lot more confident that we WILL survive!

:pfgwa

basehibby
05-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Still maintain that out of our remaining pre-split fixtures, it was the most winnable game and we didn't win it so therefore 2points dropped. Of course that doesn't mean we won't pick up some points from the other games which appear tougher.

Too many people seem to be thinking that we'll some how go on a bursting run and storm to safety. Or that Dunfermline will continue to pick up next to nothing thus saving us. These situations may happen but if we don't start picking up points in home games v St Mirren and they do then it is squeaky bum time.

But isn't that exactly what's threatened to happen over the last two games???

ie we have picked up 4 points from 6 while the Pars have continued to pick up nothing?

I agree there is absolutely no place for complacency, but surely you must agree that picking up points courtesy of a stingy defence rather than losing courtesy of stupid goals represents an improvement and thus some grounds for optimism?!?

The Sea-gull
05-03-2012, 04:33 PM
But isn't that exactly what's threatened to happen over the last two games???

ie we have picked up 4 points from 6 while the Pars have continued to pick up nothing?

I agree there is absolutely no place for complacency, but surely you must agree that picking up points courtesy of a stingy defence rather than losing courtesy of stupid goals represents an improvement and thus some grounds for optimism?!?

Absolutely, there are grounds for optimisim in that things are a bit better than a couple of weeks ago when we were level on points.

Concern is that we missed a chance to win our easiest game in our run of fixtures and make the gap bigger. If they win one of their easiest games while one of our tougher games does not go our way, they are just a point behind when it could have been three. Anyway probably no point in speculating as not every game will go to plan for either team but if they do it could be a lot closer come the split after Saturday's result.

I think we will stay up but it just not the foregone conclusion some seem to think it is and I don't really believe Saturday's result was something to get excited or encouraged about.

Lucius Apuleius
05-03-2012, 04:38 PM
IIRC two weeks we ago we were equal on points. We are now 4 ahead and a game in hand. Said it before and I will say it again, I do not believe for one nanosecond we will be relegated.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Absolutely, there are grounds for optimisim in that things are a bit better than a couple of weeks ago when we were level on points.

Concern is that we missed a chance to win our easiest game in our run of fixtures and make the gap bigger. If they win one of their easiest games while one of our tougher games does not go our way, they are just a point behind when it could have been three. Anyway probably no point in speculating as not every game will go to plan for either team but if they do it could be a lot closer come the split after Saturday's result.

I think we will stay up but it just not the foregone conclusion some seem to think it is and I don't really believe Saturday's result was something to get excited or encouraged about.

Excited no .... encouraged yes .... Our last few games, forgetting the celtic debacle where we were just rank, have definately shown a lot of improvement, how many teams have scored 3 at Motherwell this season and we have played a lot better against Aberdeen and St Mirren. As far as I am aware Aberdeen are much improved since Christmas and St Mirren are tough to score against. I know we didnt, but that was down to great goalkeeping rather than us not getting past their back 4.

The team were applauded off after the Aberdeen and St Mirren games, not because we were brilliant, but because most fans could see that the effort and commitment was there and the play much improved, though I admit by no means perfect.

I agree that the danger of relegation is by no means over .... but its a hell of a lot less likely than it was before PF took over.

snooky
05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Excited no .... encouraged yes .... Our last few games, forgetting the celtic debacle where we were just rank, have definately shown a lot of improvement, how many teams have scored 3 at Motherwell this season and we have played a lot better against Aberdeen and St Mirren. As far as I am aware Aberdeen are much improved since Christmas and St Mirren are tough to score against. I know we didnt, but that was down to great goalkeeping rather than us not getting past their back 4.

The team were applauded off after the Aberdeen and St Mirren games, not because we were brilliant, but because most fans could see that the effort and commitment was there and the play much improved, though I admit by no means perfect.

I agree that the danger of relegation is by no means over .... but its a hell of a lot less likely than it was before PF took over.

x 2 :agree: