PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson

hibsquaker
04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
The boy is like a little action man. He was awesome yesterday. Player of the season for me. :thumbsup:

bingo70
04-03-2012, 01:10 PM
The boy is like a little action man. He was awesome yesterday. Player of the season for me. :thumbsup:

There's been about a hundred Stevenson threads over the last couple of weeks so not going to go over it all again but what i would say is that i've been critical of him as i just don't think he's very good, however i thought he played very well yesterday.

If i was to be critical of him though i'd like him to be able to transfer his energy into attacking situations, he had one excellent burst in the first half yesterday and put a good ball across, he needs to be doing that more, Claros appears to be more of a sitting midfielder so when he's doing that job we need his partner in midfield to be making more attacking runs.

Did very well yesterday though so i don't want my criticism to sound like i'm taking that away from him.

hibsbollah
04-03-2012, 01:12 PM
He hasnt got the fuzzy skinhead, the scar on the cheek or the eagle eyes. Garry O is looking a lot like a Weebles though ('weebles wobble but they dont fall down' anyone?)

Ferryhibby
04-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Hes a funny one stevenson, i thought when he burst into the team he was too small but overcame that and got MOM in a cupfinal and seemed to go downhill after that, hes always had a terrier like talent and im glad hes finding his feet, it just shows what a decent manager and having some pretty decent midfielders around can do for your confidence think hes only signed till end of season, might be wrong but worth a longer contract id say

totalfootball
04-03-2012, 01:23 PM
There's been about a hundred Stevenson threads over the last couple of weeks so not going to go over it all again but what i would say is that i've been critical of him as i just don't think he's very good, however i thought he played very well yesterday.

If i was to be critical of him though i'd like him to be able to transfer his energy into attacking situations, he had one excellent burst in the first half yesterday and put a good ball across, he needs to be doing that more, Claros appears to be more of a sitting midfielder so when he's doing that job we need his partner in midfield to be making more attacking runs.

Did very well yesterday though so i don't want my criticism to sound like i'm taking that away from him.

Agreed there was been a lot of Stevenson threads but why not? He's been fantastic and deserves all the praise going. Iv'e been critical of Stevenson in the past but for the last 4 months or so hes been consistantly very good. My brother came to the game yesterday and he's hardly seen us all season and he couldn't believe the improvement in Stevensons all round game. If theres a more improved player in the league over the season than I haven't seen him. Keep up the good work wee man :top marks

bingo70
04-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Agreed there was been a lot of Stevenson threads but why not? He's been fantastic and deserves all the praise going. Iv'e been critical of Stevenson in the past but for the last 4 months or so hes been consistantly very good. My brother came to the game yesterday and he's hardly seen us all season and he couldn't believe the improvement in Stevensons all round game. If theres a more improved player in the league over the season than I haven't seen him. Keep up the good work wee man :top marks

Definately a central midfielder, if he keeps playing like that in the middle then he's worth another contract, never a left winger though which is where i've been most critical of him.

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Stevenson put in 100% yesterday ...... same as in every game he has ever played for Hibs.

He is not as talented as a lot of the players he has been team mates with since he first broke into the first team. It says everything that he has seen off most of these guys. Some because they have went on to ( they would say :greengrin ) better things, but most have faded into obscurity.

It just goes to show what you can achieve if you put in the effort.

Player of the season by a country mile for me.

number9dream
04-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Most top sides play a three-man central midfield, with two wide players supporting a lone striker.
We have three decent centrocampistos in Stevenson, Claros and Ozzy, although a lack of creativity remains a concern.
Where we fall down is out wide and the three mentioned above don't fit neatly into a primitive, Scottish 4-4-2.
Stevenson's game suffers when he asked to play on the left.

calumb
04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
When is he going to get a new contract because you can bet his performances are not going unnoticed.

frazeHFC
04-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Most top sides play a three-man central midfield, with two wide players supporting a lone striker.
We have three decent centrocampistos in Stevenson, Claros and Ozzy, although a lack of creativity remains a concern.
Where we fall down is out wide and the three mentioned above don't fit neatly into a primitive, Scottish 4-4-2.

That is the formation me and my mate were discussing yesterday. We would need better wingers but you could even have Griffiths and Booth wide and Doyle in the middle.

Iggy Pope
04-03-2012, 02:56 PM

Where is the pretentious football mundial smiley? Centrocampistas? Good grief.

greenlex
04-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I thought yesterday was his poorest performance for weeks to be honest. :cb
Not ****** just a level down from his recent standards.

bingo70
04-03-2012, 04:16 PM

See this is what i just don't see in Stevenson, there's no doubt that he's improved massively from previous seasons but some people seem to see so much more in him than i do.

What specifically did he do better in previous weeks that he didn't do yesterday?

He's a player that certainly divides opinions and when that happens opinions tend to get exaggerated so that people can prove a point, it's something i'm perhaps guilty of when down playing what he's offered but in the same light there's people that are totally over the top with how good he's played this season.

Most improved player of the year, definately but Mcpake would be my player of the year if he continues his good form, nobody before Mcpake arrived came close to deserving a player of the year award IMO.

500miles
04-03-2012, 04:18 PM

I agree. He had been excellent for weeks, but wasn't of that standard yesterday. He won plenty of the ball and made some marvellous interceptions, but his passing wasn't as crisp as it had been. In terms of percentages, it was probably decent over the 90, but not what he has shown himself to be capable of. Then again, if that sort of performance is the least you can expect of Stevenson, he is easily worth a new contract.

muzzhfc
04-03-2012, 04:34 PM
the MOM cup final was when he was surrounded by a good midfield then as the midfield got worse and worse, so did he. similar to how hanlon plays when he is with o'hanlon & mcpake

Spike Mandela
04-03-2012, 04:41 PM
the MOM cup final was when he was surrounded by a good midfield then as the midfield got worse and worse, so did he. similar to how hanlon plays when he is with o'hanlon & mcpake

In my opinion he was nowhere near MOM in the Cup Final. He was given the accolade by Ian McCall because he wasn't phased by the occasion at such a young age.Nice touch and no big deal but there is no way he played better than Brown, Fletcher, Jones, benji, Murphy or indeed the man I consider man of the match Steven Whittaker.

hibee_girl
04-03-2012, 05:05 PM

I thought the same tbh and I'm one of Stevenson's biggest supporters. He wasn't bad yesterday, just not what we've been used to the last few months.

muzzhfc
04-03-2012, 05:31 PM
In my opinion he was nowhere near MOM in the Cup Final. He was given the accolade by Ian McCall because he wasn't phased by the occasion at such a young age.Nice touch and no big deal but there is no way he played better than Brown, Fletcher, Jones, benji, Murphy or indeed the man I consider man of the match Steven Whittaker.

i thought that stevenson played well in that game. however, im just pointing out that when he is surrounded by good midfielders his game improves

sesoim
04-03-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm happy to see Stevenson has been playing better lately, and I think that is down to better players around him/management. But, frankly, he doesn't offer anything that we couldn't easily find elsewhere.

We need midfielders who can score and create chances- all Stevenson offers is hard work and basic passing skills. If we want to get back to where we should be in the league, we'll need better players than Stevenson.

cabbageandribs1875
04-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm happy to see Stevenson has been playing better lately, and I think that is down to better players around him/management. But, frankly, he doesn't offer anything that we couldn't easily find elsewhere.

We need midfielders who can score and create chances- all Stevenson offers is hard work and basic passing skills. If we want to get back to where we should be in the league, we'll need better players than Stevenson.

totally agree with everything there :agree: well, maybe not the 'easily' find elsewhere bit :wink:

get tin hat on :tin hat: