PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy McColl Jnr - Hibby Olympian, 1948

Iggy Pope
04-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Interesting wee article in today's Sunday Times Sport section (sorry I cannot post a link - I think you have to subscribe to the Times? - I'm reading it the old way).

Anyway, it centres around Jimmy McColl Jnr, son of Hibernian legend Jimmy McColl Snr. Although he was born in Glasgow, he was a Hibs fan from birth, probably due to his old man.

He played for Queens Park and performed for team GB at the 1948 Olymics under the management of another Hibs legend, Matt Busby. They just missed out on a Bronze. He is 87 now and remains a good Hibby although he has lost his sight and is confined to listening to us on the radio! Can't imagine what that does for his ticker.

It was his dream to play for Hibs and he was offered a contract. His dad refused to let him sign on as he was Hibs' trainer at the time (training the best side in our history of course - the recent 1949-50 footage posted on here features him prominently IIRC) and thought that having his son on the staff would have resulted in accusations of bias.... (hang yer heid in shame Alex Miller)!

He lives in Portobello and must have a few tales to tell.

ancient hibee
04-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Interesting that there were around half a dozen Scots in the squad which reached the semi final.

greenlex
04-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Interesting wee article in today's Sunday Times Sport section (sorry I cannot post a link - I think you have to subscribe to the Times? - I'm reading it the old way).

Anyway, it centres around Jimmy McColl Jnr, son of Hibernian legend and Wembley Wizard (although it doesn't mention this in the article!) Jimmy McColl Snr. Although he was born in Glasgow, he was a Hibs fan from birth, probably due to his olld man.

He played for Queens Park and performed for team GB at the 1948 Olymics under the management of another Hibs legend, Matt Busby. They just missed out on a Bronze. He is 87 now and remains a good Hibby although he has lost his sight and is confined to listening to us on the radio! Can't imagine what that does for his ticker.

It was his dream to play for Hibs and he was offered a contract. His dad refused to let him sign on as he was Hibs' trainer at the time (training the best side in our history of course - the recent 1949-50 footage posted on here features him prominently IIRC) and thought that having his son on the staff would have resulted in accusations of bias.... (hang yer heid in shame Alex Miller)!

Thanks for that. Very interesting.

Iggy Pope
04-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks for that. Very interesting.

Glad someone found it interesting. Beginning to despair that the board was more interested in the Plight of the Huns / Dead QCs / The Mancunian Way........

tanfield
04-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Interesting article although I thought Jimmy Dunn was our Wembley Wizard

Iggy Pope
04-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Interesting article although I thought Jimmy Dunn was our Wembley Wizard

You are right of course. This is
1) Why it was not mentioned in the article
2) Why I will never be a Hibs Historian.

and 3) Why I have now edited my p1sh.

tanfield
04-03-2012, 08:31 PM
You are right of course. This is
1) Why it was not mentioned in the article
2) Why I will never be a Hibs Historian.

and 3) Why I have now edited my p1sh.

Everyone loves a pedant!

Still a great article though

Jonnyboy
04-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Anyway, it centres around Jimmy McColl Jnr, son of Hibernian legend Jimmy McColl Snr. Although he was born in Glasgow, he was a Hibs fan from birth, probably due to his old man.

Brilliant read HH. Thanks for pointing it out :thumbsup:

Iggy Pope
04-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Brilliant read HH. Thanks for pointing it out :thumbsup:

And lest we forget, or become confused, here is Jimmy Snr's I-Hibs stats. All those goals and nae caps.
Hard to believe that Levein goes as far back as the Twenties....

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=381

Jonnyboy
04-03-2012, 08:50 PM
And lest we forget, or become confused, here is Jimmy Snr's I-Hibs stats. All those goals and nae caps.
Hard to believe that Levein goes as far back as the Twenties....

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=381

Yep, his goalscoring exploits stuck out a mile when I was researching that era :thumbsup:

--------
05-03-2012, 08:04 PM

Fascinating. And thanks for pointing that out HH. Heroes in our midst, and we don't know it. :top marks

Hibs Class
05-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I read the article tonight - I've scanned it and hopefully figured out how to attach it here.

jdships
05-03-2012, 09:01 PM

Played with Jimmy Jr and lived beside Jimmy Sr in Bellevue Street in early '60's
Lovely people !!