PDA

View Full Version : McPake/ Hanlon

Seveno
03-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I thought that both were tremendous today. When McPake says ' ma baw' , then it's his baw.

As for Hanlon, whoever reckoned that he wasn't strong enough, just ask Hassailank.

Jonnyboy
03-03-2012, 09:12 PM
I thought that both were tremendous today. When McPake says ' ma baw' , then it's his baw.

As for Hanlon, whoever reckoned that he wasn't strong enough, just ask Hassailank.

Agree 100% :agree:

Against Killie and again today it was obvious that McPake would attack the ball and Hanlon would drop a little deeper to protect the goalie. Works a treat and well done to PH who's had his fair share of harsh criticism on here :agree:

PatHead
03-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Thought their performances today were the biggest plus point though we have to take into account that St Mirren have only scored in one of their last 5 SPL games

MacBean
03-03-2012, 09:50 PM
3 clean sheets in 5 games is the makings of a good defence. Albeit we shipped 9 in 2 ha:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Working as a defensive middle pairing. The confidence is showing through, where each of them can show composure because they know the other player is there. We are getting a double bonus from McPake as he getting the best from Hanlon.

PatHead
03-03-2012, 10:03 PM
3 clean sheets in 5 games is the makings of a good defence. Albeit we shipped 9 in 2 ha:greengrin

Either 2 in 5 or 3 in 6. (Lost a goal to Killie, Mwell and Celtic)

hfc rd
03-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Working as a defensive middle pairing. The confidence is showing through, where each of them can show composure because they know the other player is there. We are getting a double bonus from McPake as he getting the best from Hanlon.

Totally agree. I just really really hope we can hang onto Mcpake as he is the perfect partner for Hanlon.

7 Hills
03-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Yep - this is a great central defensive pairing! Alongside O'Hanlon, Hanlon was making goal-losing errors every week, with McPake, he is forming a two-man Hibees WALL!!! ;o)

SGHIBEE
03-03-2012, 11:32 PM

Agree, however St Mirren didn't for one minute look like they were interesed in winning the game today.

A good partnership forming none the less

basehibby
04-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Agree 100% :agree:

Against Killie and again today it was obvious that McPake would attack the ball and Hanlon would drop a little deeper to protect the goalie. Works a treat and well done to PH who's had his fair share of harsh criticism on here :agree:

:agree: Well done to both - I always thought PH had the makings of a good CH and just needed a good experienced guy beside him to bring the best out of him.

Early days yet but I'm confident enough to give a massive :na na::na na::na na: to all those of little faith who were queuing up to stick the boot in to PH not so long ago writing him off as a bombscare etc. Stick that in yer collective pipes and smoke it :greengrin

Steven_Hibs
04-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Still think Hasselbaink gave Hanlon the runaround, he made one good tackle on him. That was it really. Am still not keen on Hanlon at all

truehibernian
04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Still think Hasselbaink gave Hanlon the runaround, he made one good tackle on him. That was it really. Am still not keen on Hanlon at all

I've been a big critic of Paul but I think that's unfair. The fact DL pushed Hasselbaink out wider throughout the game was due to JM and PH being tight on him. If anyone lost him, it was Francomb, more down to GF doing a lot of work going forward, tiring, and Osbourne remaining high too.

Paul did well yesterday from start to finish. In fact, second half he put in a potential goal saving tackle/interception in the box. Looked calm next to McPake and less hesitant.

Feed McGraw
04-03-2012, 12:14 PM

I`ve criticised Hanlon before but never because he was " not strong enough " - I`ve never thought that was the case. IMHO, where Paul`s let himself down has been his concentration levels and general awareness. This can obviously be rectified and it seems McPake is the man to help him do that.

Seveno
04-03-2012, 12:42 PM

And he scored how many goals ?

Stevo1875
04-03-2012, 01:12 PM
PH had too much responsibility when expectations were high and the players around him were poor. Give him a couple of years with a decent partner and more experience around him and then we will see if he has it.

He has an abundance of first team experience for his age, unfortunately, much of it has been negative. I hope he isn't damaged goods! I wonder how many full backs he has played with since playing centre. And how many were any good. Likewise, the quality of his partners and of the players in front of him. He also had a spell of being captain and the oldest player in the back 4.

Overall career totals

Apps

As sub

Goals

Yellow

Red

Total (Club)
(9)

League
(8)

FA Cup
(0)

League Cup
(1)

European/Others
(0)

It would appear that keeping McPake is going to be the most important factor in any success he is likely to have. I doubt there are many alternatives out there within our price range......

Steven_Hibs
04-03-2012, 01:35 PM
And he scored how many goals ?

And that affects what? :rolleyes:

poolman
04-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Probably the difference between winning and losing :rolleyes:

Seveno
04-03-2012, 02:34 PM

If Hasselbaink had such a good game against him then how come he didn't score ? Stack had very little to do all day thanks to the solid performance of his centre backs.

Dashing Bob S
04-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Hanlon looks 10 tens better and more confident playing alongside McPake. This is exactly the kind of partner he needs at this stage of his development and hopefully he'll now mature and develop into the great centre back he's always promised he could be.

Iggy Pope
04-03-2012, 03:08 PM
I've been a big critic of Paul but I think that's unfair. The fact DL pushed Hasselbaink out wider throughout the game was due to JM and PH being tight on him. If anyone lost him, it was Francomb, more down to GF doing a lot of work going forward, tiring, and Osbourne remaining high too.

Paul did well yesterday from start to finish. In fact, second half he put in a potential goal saving tackle/interception in the box. Looked calm next to McPake and less hesitant.

Agree with this. I thought Francomb was beaten defensively far too easily and too often and not only by Hasselbaink. He looks a better player further up the pitch.
Hanlon in a centre half pairing with McPake is our best option. Docherty at RB for me.

sesoim
05-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Hanlon probably looks better with McPake beside him the same way that Gary Smith and Paul Fenwick both looked decent with Sauzee sweeping up behind them. But take Sauzee away..........and they were mince.

What I'm basically saying is, in order for Hanlon to look decent, he needs good players around him (and good mangement), the same as Stevenson. They aren't good players on their own terms. Harsh, maybe, but on the evidence of their contributions over the last few years, true in my view.

I still hope they both get better though, for all our sakes, because I think they are going to be here for a while.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Hanlon probably looks better with McPake beside him the same way that Gary Smith and Paul Fenwick both looked decent with Sauzee sweeping up behind them. But take Sauzee away..........and they were mince.

What I'm basically saying is, in order for Hanlon to look decent, he needs good players around him (and good mangement), the same as Stevenson. They aren't good players on their own terms. Harsh, maybe, but on the evidence of their contributions over the last few years, true in my view.

I still hope they both get better though, for all our sakes, because I think they are going to be here for a while.

Of all the "defenders" we've had over the years to call Gary Smith mince?!

bigwheel
05-03-2012, 07:45 PM

As well as complete nonsense calling Gary Smith mince....you have crazy logic referring to Stevenson as only good when he has better players around him......where have you been for most of this season??...when other players were hiding, Stevenson rolled up his sleeves and went about business ...never hiding, always available for the ball...it was arguably at our worst when Stevenson took responsibility and has tried to drive us forward..

lyonhibs
05-03-2012, 08:17 PM

:hilarious

Nah.

Though I agree with the principle of your comment re: Hanlon. He's young and still learning, and needs the experience of McPake next to him, a calm, experienced older head, instead of "Let it bounce" O'Hanlon dropping him in the brown stuff all the time.