PDA

View Full Version : Question Ayr Pubs..........

Sudds_1
03-03-2012, 09:52 PM
For those of us going to Ayr next week...........

.....best place for a wee refreshment? :cb:flag:

19AYR10
04-03-2012, 02:30 AM
For those of us going to Ayr next week...........

.....best place for a wee refreshment? :cb:flag:

If you're having a few I'd suggest a wee crawl starting in McArthurs which is next door to West of the Moon. Round the corner is Boswells. Once you leave Boswells turn right and you'll then see The Tree House and The West Kirk. After exiting West Kirk turn left and it's a short walk down The Sandgate to Billy Bridges, Willie Wastles and The Malt Cross opposite the town hall spire. Heading closer to the ground you cross the New Bridge and you'll see the Cambeltown Bar or head towards the Black Bull to the right of the Cambeltown. Across the road from the Black Bull is The River Cottage. Head up George Street through the underpass and soon you'll find The Horseshoe which is closest to the ground.

If you're staying up the top of the town you have O'Briens, Rabbies, Matha Dickies, The Twa Dugs, Meridian and the A&G Hotel(all within 2 minutes of each other). Only 5 minutes in a taxi to the ground. You'll no be stuck for a pub in Ayr. I'd recommend the West of the Moon, decent size, decent grub and got SKY. Kids welcome.

Enjoy your day oot, but hopefully not the result.:aok:

.Sean.
04-03-2012, 03:52 AM
Prestwick Bowly Club

Nakedmanoncrack
04-03-2012, 09:09 AM
The Wallace Bar on Tams Brig, 2 mins from the station, 5 from the ground.

mim
04-03-2012, 10:12 AM
If you're having a few I'd suggest a wee crawl starting in McArthurs which is next door to West of the Moon. Round the corner is Boswells. Once you leave Boswells turn right and you'll then see The Tree House and The West Kirk. After exiting West Kirk turn left and it's a short walk down The Sandgate to Billy Bridges, Willie Wastles and The Malt Cross opposite the town hall spire. Heading closer to the ground you cross the New Bridge and you'll see the Cambeltown Bar or head towards the Black Bull to the right of the Cambeltown. Across the road from the Black Bull is The River Cottage. Head up George Street through the underpass and soon you'll find The Horseshoe which is closest to the ground.

If you're staying up the top of the town you have O'Briens, Rabbies, Matha Dickies, The Twa Dugs, Meridian and the A&G Hotel(all within 2 minutes of each other). Only 5 minutes in a taxi to the ground. You'll no be stuck for a pub in Ayr. I'd recommend the West of the Moon, decent size, decent grub and got SKY. Kids welcome.

Thanks for that, 19AYR10.
Is the Elms Court Hotel on Miller Road still a good place for lunch and a drink? I've used it a lot in the past.

19AYR10
04-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks for that, 19AYR10.
Is the Elms Court Hotel on Miller Road still a good place for lunch and a drink? I've used it a lot in the past.

Couldn't be 100% sure on that but on Miller Road you have a few hotels that are decent and the ten pin bowling, L.A Bowl I think. Handy area for the pubs at the top of the town too.

lyonhibs
04-03-2012, 11:37 AM

Are you on a mission to make sure no Hibbies actually make it to the ground? :greengrin

tetley
04-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Sounds like plenty of places around, will be my first trip to the west coast, any ideas on what the parking is like over there wspecially with the races on as well

19AYR10
04-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Sounds like plenty of places around, will be my first trip to the west coast, any ideas on what the parking is like over there wspecially with the races on as well

Viewfield Court(KA8 8JU) or George Square(KA8 0AG) for Sat Nav. Plenty of spaces and only a 5 minute walk to Somerset. Well away from the racing traffic.

1875_hibs
05-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Should get all Hibees to West of the Moon, watch Hearts get pumped out the cup by St Mirren at 12.30 then head to Somerset in taxi's. Taxi rank right outside and also just round the corner 20 yards away outside boswells. Can also walk 20 yards through to the High Street and taxi ranks there and at the train station also! Could phone black cabs and get them to send them to west of the moon at 2.30!

Hibby_Paul
05-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi can someone confirm if most of these pubs are closer to 'Ayr Station' or 'Newton On Ayr'.

Crowd of us coming on train, looking at another thread it suggets that Newton station is a lot closer to ground than Ayr - can anyone in know confirm?

Cheers :)

1875_hibs
05-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi can someone confirm if most of these pubs are closer to 'Ayr Station' or 'Newton On Ayr'.

Crowd of us coming on train, looking at another thread it suggets that Newton station is a lot closer to ground than Ayr - can anyone in know confirm?

All the pubs mentioned are in the town centre so closer to Ayr Station. Newton on Ayr is closer to the ground but not many pubs round about the ground at all.... Maybe about 2 within decent walking distance! From Ayr town to Somerset is about a 15-20 minute walk and less than 5 mins in a taxi.

Hibby_Paul
05-03-2012, 04:28 PM
All the pubs mentioned are in the town centre so closer to Ayr Station. Newton on Ayr is closer to the ground but not many pubs round about the ground at all.... Maybe about 2 within decent walking distance! From Ayr town to Somerset is about a 15-20 minute walk and less than 5 mins in a taxi.

Fab, very helpful - cheers

19AYR10
05-03-2012, 05:13 PM

There's the ST Andrews hotel public bar and lounge, turn left after the big church after leaving Newton station and it's 50 yards away. I didn't mention it because it's a Rangers shoap. The Wallace is tiny but has a bookies next door. Anyone parking at George Square (KA8 0AG), The Horseshoe is there and the Railway Club is a two minute walk in James Street.

I'd suggest you stay on the train into town centre. More choices.

Hermit Crab
05-03-2012, 09:12 PM
There's the ST Andrews hotel public bar and lounge, turn left after the big church after leaving Newton station and it's 50 yards away. I didn't mention it because it's a Rangers shoap. The Wallace is tiny but has a bookies next door. Anyone parking at George Square (KA8 0AG), The Horseshoe is there and the Railway Club is a two minute walk in James Street.

Is that not likely to be members only?

Sudds_1
05-03-2012, 09:16 PM

We're all on the 11.30 out of haymarket...........so we'll follow you :cb:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Thats a bit late for pints purposes!

Sudds_1
05-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Thats a bit late for pints purposes!

pint in Ryries............in Ayr by 1.30. Fixed!:greengrin

Hermit Crab
05-03-2012, 11:23 PM
pint in Ryries............in Ayr by 1.30. Fixed!:greengrin

Providing the driver and guard turn up for their train :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-03-2012, 11:54 PM
pint in Ryries............in Ayr by 1.30.

I refer you back to my earlier post! ;-)

Better to get through for the demise of the Yammish ones!

Also Ryries is a dump and will be full of THEM!

mca
06-03-2012, 12:02 AM
very nice of the ayr chap - to give us some info on the pubs :aok:

(Yer teams getting pumped BTW) :agree:

:na na::flag::na na:

Hibby_Paul
06-03-2012, 08:54 AM

Cheers for the info, much appreciated

edinburghhibee
06-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Me and three others are heading to the bowling club which is behind the railway end, we were there last year and it was a good atmosphere and cheap drink. Canny go wrong with that!!!

:flag::flag::thumbsup::flag::flag:

Hermit Crab
06-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Me and three others are heading to the bowling club which is behind the railway end, we were there last year and it was a good atmosphere and cheap drink. Canny go wrong with that!!!

:flag::flag::thumbsup::flag::flag:

How big is it as i think there are about 3 buses booked into there. ?

1875_hibs
06-03-2012, 11:44 AM
How big is it as i think there are about 3 buses booked into there. ?

Done work in there before, at a guess it probably seats about 60 but could hold maybe 100-150. Chap from Ayr might know better.

edinburghhibee
06-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Done work in there before, at a guess it probably seats about 60 but could hold maybe 100-150. Chap from Ayr might know better.

Yeah prob agree with that. If there is three buses already booked for there think we'll need to leave earlier than planned to get in.

hailhail22
08-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Should get all Hibees to West of the Moon, watch Hearts get pumped out the cup by St Mirren at 12.30 then head to Somerset in taxi's. Taxi rank right outside and also just round the corner 20 yards away outside boswells. Can also walk 20 yards through to the High Street and taxi ranks there and at the train station also! Could phone black cabs and get them to send them to west of the moon at 2.30!

Me and my pals have got a bus going through think west of the moon is where we are going, just been scouting the place on google maps

hailhail22
08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
To keep people updated I phoned west of the moon earlier and said that they no longer have sky so if you were looking to go there to watch some football first then dont cause you'll be disappointed, The bus i am going on is going to boswells so peeps get involved :flag:

davhibee
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
West of the Moon is more of a pub to go to before heading to the nightclubs in Ayr - that street is dead during the day but rammed at night. I'd personally avoid West of the Moon and McArthurs on that street unless theres a couple of busloads going and you can go in and have a singsong. Theres a pub called Boswalls at the corner of that street which might be a bit better, or the West Kirk which a Wetherspoons and pretty big (its on the Sandgate). The Malt Cross would also be a good shout - its huge and a pub that quite a few away fans go to. Its on Sandgate as well. Anything north of the river is an old man pub and likely to be pretty rough

1875_hibs
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
To keep people updated I phoned west of the moon earlier and said that they no longer have sky so if you were looking to go there to watch some football first then dont cause you'll be disappointed, The bus i am going on is going to boswells so peeps get involved :flag:

Think the hearts game is on BBC.

Renfrew_Hibby
09-03-2012, 09:36 AM
West of the Moon is more of a pub to go to before heading to the nightclubs in Ayr - that street is dead during the day but rammed at night. I'd personally avoid West of the Moon and McArthurs on that street unless theres a couple of busloads going and you can go in and have a singsong. Theres a pub called Boswalls at the corner of that street which might be a bit better, or the West Kirk which a Wetherspoons and pretty big (its on the Sandgate). The Malt Cross would also be a good shout - its huge and a pub that quite a few away fans go to. Its on Sandgate as well. Anything north of the river is an old man pub and likely to be pretty rough

Thats quite a good overview, acurate... you a local Davhibee? I'm origionally from Ayr myself and wish i was going down on Sat for the game but work rules and i only get to home games these days.