PDA

View Full Version : Goodwin/O'Donovan incident

PatHead
03-03-2012, 09:20 PM
I was away up in the West about as far as I could be from the incident. Did anyone get a clear view? From my distant position it looked like Goodwin elbowed O'Donovan. Couldn't work out wht O'Donovan was booked.

Baldy
03-03-2012, 09:23 PM
should have been a penalty, the referee saw O'donovan bump into Goodwin and thought nothing of it .. game carried on, Linesman only flagged after Goodwin elbowed Roy, ball was in play therefore Penalty.

Referee Bottled it and booked both players, which is the only reason he bottled it again and didn't book Roy straight after Half time

Twa Cairpets
03-03-2012, 09:26 PM
should have been a penalty, the referee saw O'donovan bump into Goodwin and thought nothing of it .. game carried on, Linesman only flagged after Goodwin elbowed Roy, ball was in play therefore Penalty.

Referee Bottled it and booked both players, which is the only reason he bottled it again and didn't book Roy straight after Half time

I didnt see the incident, but it did seem to be the case that the ref stopped play. I cant remember how play restarted - anyone shed light on this? It should have been either a drop ball or a penalty.

scoopyboy
03-03-2012, 09:27 PM

I would have been happy enough if both players had been sent off.

It would have hurt them more than us.

Malonga's Cat
03-03-2012, 09:28 PM
I cant remember how play restarted - anyone shed light on this? It should have been either a drop ball or a penalty.

I'm sure they got a free kick which their keeper took. Don't know why :confused:

Baldy
03-03-2012, 09:28 PM
I didnt see the incident, but it did seem to be the case that the ref stopped play. I cant remember how play restarted - anyone shed light on this? It should have been either a drop ball or a penalty.

St Mirren free kick:confused:

PatHead
03-03-2012, 09:30 PM

15 yards outside their box.:confused:

Iggy Pope
03-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Question - if Goodwin has elbowed Roy O'D in the box and in full view of the linesman, why has he not gone down and got us the penalty we needed? It seems he stayed on his feet, made a fuss with Goodwin and got booked. He should have gone down. Time we wisened up. Teams have done it to us for decades.

Baldy Foghorn
03-03-2012, 09:35 PM

One of many things Collum got wrong today, standard of officials is beyond a joke.

Malonga's Cat
03-03-2012, 09:41 PM
One of many things Collum got wrong today, standard of officials is beyond a joke.

His performance today was quite embarrassing. He let both teams down today.

erin go bragh
03-03-2012, 09:43 PM
:agree: Another of the many refs ,that gives us nothing. :grr: *a*k*r*
ggtth

Baldy Foghorn
03-03-2012, 09:47 PM
His performance today was quite embarrassing. He let both teams down today.

It certainly was woeful, to think he got £840 for that performance:rolleyes:

Kato
03-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Question - if Goodwin has elbowed Roy O'D in the box and in full view of the linesman, why has he not gone down and got us the penalty we needed? It seems he stayed on his feet, made a fuss with Goodwin and got booked. He should have gone down. Time we wisened up. Teams have done it to us for decades.

He shouldn't have to go down to win a penalty. The ref and linesman (supposedly) know the rules so it was a straight penalty.

Can't say I was convinced by the refs display, then again most of them are absolutely awful.

Let's wait and see if a) The compliance officer makes anything of it, b) Sportscene makes anything of it - although we all know a depends on b.

Not for the first time this season points go astray and the officials have some blame in that.

ano hibby
03-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Other odd thing was don't think the ref saw the elbow whereas the linesman did, duly flagged and was never consulted. 2 yellows soft option, very predictable.
Agree with scoopyboy assessment.

PatHead
03-03-2012, 09:57 PM
He shouldn't have to go down to win a penalty. The ref and linesman (supposedly) know the rules so it was a straight penalty.

Can't say I was convinced by the refs display, then again most of them are absolutely awful.

Let's wait and see if a) The compliance officer makes anything of it, b) Sportscene makes anything of it - although we all know a depends on b.

Not for the first time this season points go astray and the officials have some blame in that.

Think that as referee booked Goodwin that Lunny man can't do anything even if Sportscene highlight it.

WindyMiller
03-03-2012, 09:58 PM
From what I saw O'D was elbowed/shouldered in the face, the Linesman flagged and Collum (who didn't seem to see the incident) booked them both without talking to his linesman.

:rolleyes: SPL.

Iggy Pope
03-03-2012, 10:00 PM

I agree, but if he had shown a bit more nous, we would have got one and he would have left them without a decision to make. Other sides have that streak about them and we lack it.
We are too honest by far and it's part of the reason we are where we are.

Witness today's retreats at dead balls. They had a free kick at the corner of our box and our wall ended up standing somewhere around Bothwell Street.
Our free kicks around their box? Griffiths couldn't get their wall out of his jockeys!

Kato
03-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Think that as referee booked Goodwin that Lunny man can't do anything even if Sportscene highlight it.

Yup true. I thought the incident was sparked by the way the goalie raised his leg through onto O'Donovan, but that in itself was pretty innocuous.

Anyways another stone-waller gone.

Baldy Foghorn
03-03-2012, 10:02 PM
I agree, but if he had shown a bit more nous, we would have got one and he would have left them without a decision to make. Other sides have that streak about them and we lack it.
We are too honest by far and it's part of the reason we are where we are.

Witness today's retreats at dead balls. They had a free kick at the corner of our box and our wall ended up standing somewhere around Bothwell Street.
Our free kicks around their box? Griffiths couldn't get their wall out of his jockeys!

We must be the only team that loses yards when taking a throw in......:rolleyes:

grunt
03-03-2012, 10:03 PM
I agree, but if he had shown a bit more nous, we would have got one and he would have left them without a decision to make. He would probably have been booked for diving ...

PatHead
03-03-2012, 10:05 PM
We must be the only team that loses yards when taking a throw in......:rolleyes:

Also we had a foul throw against us. When did that last happen, never see foul throws given these days.

Iggy Pope
03-03-2012, 10:06 PM
He would probably have been booked for diving ...

The linesman seen something and the ref thought enough of it to book Goodwin. A prostrate O'Donovan = penalty.

Baldy Foghorn
03-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Also we had a foul throw against us. When did that last happen, never see foul throws given these days.

The irony being it was the first time in months that we threw the ball to our own player:greengrin

Iggy Pope
03-03-2012, 10:07 PM

:agree:
To be fair it was an appallingly obvious foul throw - without a word of protest from Ivan funnily enough.....

S.sct
03-03-2012, 10:11 PM
I was away up in the West about as far as I could be from the incident. Did anyone get a clear view? From my distant position it looked like Goodwin elbowed O'Donovan. Couldn't work out wht O'Donovan was booked.

Very strange decision, the linesman flagged for the elbow when ODonovan reacted to the keepers leg up challenge. Ref then booked them both without consulting the linesman. Joke.....

Jonnyboy
03-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Not sure about all these 'never spoke to the linesman' posts. They communicate through their headphones/mics so no real need to actualy get face to face.

We could/should have had two penalties today. The O'Donovan one and the hand ball late in the game.

ozzie
03-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Not sure about all these 'never spoke to the linesman' posts. They communicate through their headphones/mics so no real need to actualy get face to face.

We could/should have had two penalties today. The O'Donovan one and the hand ball late in the game.

The hand ball towards the end was one of the most blatant i have seen in a while, there was also one early in the second half. collum was a joke today.

hfc rd
03-03-2012, 11:11 PM
I saw the incident.. Goodwin says something to O'Donovan and then elbows him for no apparent reason. O'Donovan doesn't take it and then starts exchanging words before the linesman waves his flags and the ref comes over and books both players. I think the linesman bottled it. He could so easily have told the ref (who never saw the incident) that Goodwin should be sent off for violent conduct. The SFA are so fickle!

matty_f
03-03-2012, 11:35 PM

:agree:

Spot on, I was shouting for a penalty. I had a great view of it, O'Donovan did **** all wrong and Goodwin had a pop at him and raised his arm. Linesman flagged for it but the ref as far as I could tell did nothing about going over to speak to him about it.

That's two decisions in recent games that the linesman's had a brilliant view of, where the ref's wrongly booked a Hibs player (the other was Doherty's challenge in the Aberdeen game) and the linesman's stood by and given the ref no help whatsoever.

Collum was rank today, but he's not alone in that respect. I have been appalled at the standard of refereeing this season, not just from a Hibs point of view either, we got some decisions that were a joke today as well.

frazeHFC
04-03-2012, 02:05 AM
Not read the whole thread. What decision is this one? The one in the 6 yard box? If so the player maybe blocked him but i didn't see anything that wrong with it. As i say may have been another one i can't remember.

EDIT: nah forget my post, i remember my mate saying they were both booked after an incident that occured when i was at the toilet :tee hee:

.Sean.
04-03-2012, 03:55 AM
I quite like O'Donavan. He's really strong and quite clever, I reckon he'll come good

Bristolhibby
04-03-2012, 09:39 AM

For me, getting elbowed in the face would likley put me down. Agree.

What I don't agree with is a light touch to the face, or a fake headbutt making the player go down as if they took a right hook off of Tyson.

J

seven nowt
04-03-2012, 03:07 PM

That's because professional football players can take throw-ins. Ivan can't do **** all.