Abdessalam Benjeloun would walk in to our current starting 11. IMHO

Discuss

RickyS
03-03-2012, 06:55 PM
the first benji or the 2nd one?:greengrin

hibsbollah
03-03-2012, 06:55 PM
The 2006/7 vintage, I agree.

Unfortunately he seems to have basically retired from the game.

next :greengrin:

SGHIBEE
03-03-2012, 06:56 PM
the first benji or the 2nd one?:greengrin

Both to be fair

greenlex
03-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I reckon he would be passenger in that side. Doesn't work hard enough and that's what Fenlon is all about.

s.a.m
03-03-2012, 06:57 PM
No disputing that, on the ability front. Not sure he was up for it for (most of) the first time, though.

Scouse Hibee
03-03-2012, 06:59 PM
No he's gone move on! Unless we're getting him on loan :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
03-03-2012, 07:18 PM
No. Griffiths is a far better player. O'Connor, despite losing his place through lack of fitness/form, has scored more this season than Benji ever did. I also think O'Donovan and Doyle will prove to be better signings if they stay here long enough.

Benji wasn't as good as he liked to think and the fact he's done nothing since he left confirms this. Take away a handful of games and he was average.

On a more positive note, at least he chose the final for one of the few games he could be arsed turning up for.

Littlest Hobo
03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Is that you Benji??????

Wotherspiniesta
03-03-2012, 07:27 PM

Discuss

That's not a question.

HibeeSince85
03-03-2012, 07:48 PM
No. Griffiths is a far better player. O'Connor, despite losing his place through lack of fitness/form, has scored more this season than Benji ever did. I also think O'Donovan and Doyle will prove to be better signings if they stay here long enough.

Benji wasn't as good as he liked to think and the fact he's done nothing since he left confirms this. Take away a handful of games and he was average.

On a more positive note, at least he chose the final for one of the few games he could be arsed turning up for.

Benji is a better player than Doyle and O'Donovan.

Holmesdale Hibs
03-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Benji is a better player than Doyle and O'Donovan.

Fair enough, I'm not convinced but time will tell. Still not as good as Griffiths or O'Connor so wouldn't get in our current starting 11.

scottp1875
03-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Benji on his day yes but how often was that. Think Griffiths and O'Donovan are doing alright considering have only played 2 games together.

HibeeSince85
03-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Fair enough, I'm not convinced but time will tell. Still not as good as Griffiths or O'Connor so wouldn't get in our current starting 11.

O'Connor hardly merits a starting place hense why he's got that big arse of his on the bench, I would agree though if he would turn it on again.

A striker who only plays half a season, sounds like we've just got a more expensive Benji.

Holmesdale Hibs
03-03-2012, 08:06 PM
O'Connor hardly merits a starting place hense why he's got that big arse of his on the bench, I would agree though if he would turn it on again.

A striker who only plays half a season, sounds like we've just got a more expensive Benji.

Agree with what you wrote about O'Connor but, even if he gives up now, he's still been more productive this season than Benji ever had.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-03-2012, 08:11 PM
At this moment in time, no. And I wouldn't want him, any version of him right now. What we need right now, is a team effort to pull us to 11th or better. We can't afford the luxury of a player, who primarily, and secondly, and thirdly, played for himself and put his own interests first.

Malonga's Cat
03-03-2012, 08:18 PM
I think ability-wise, he would perhaps be worthy of a place on the bench.

His attitude and poor work rate wouldn't be good for a club fighting for SPL status. Considering his goals ratio wasn't great, i'd rather have super Leigh, Doyle or O'Donovan up front.

Benji is best left in the past.

S.sct
03-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Discuss
Nothing to discuss, you are correct.

hibsbollah
03-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Agree with what you wrote about O'Connor but, even if he gives up now, he's still been more productive this season than Benji ever had.

If my memory serves me right Benji got 15+ goals in the cup winning season, O'Connor has scored 9 so far this season...

Jack
03-03-2012, 09:50 PM

Discuss

... and he would keep on walking.

In his last season he never broke sweat, barely did before and certainly hasn't since.

Stroll on ...

Hibercelona
03-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Benji without the attitude was a class act IMO.

It's a shame things went the way they did.

Like others have said, best left in the past now.

Jonnyboy
03-03-2012, 09:58 PM
It's amazing how many folk get starry eyed about Benji. Great in the CIS Cup winning team and had the ability to get bums off seats when he had the ball but at the end of the day he shafted Hibs in the way that he treated the club. Remember that pic of him supposedly signing for some other team? Remember him failing to return to ER when expected? We slaughter Murray etc for what they did in the past but it seems Benji is bullet proof

hfc rd
03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Sometimes I liked benji, sometimes I didn't. Peformance in the cup final was magnificent and I wished we got too see more of that benji. Rather than the one who mucked us about in the summer by lying to us, saying he was waiting for a visa but was really trying to engineer a move, behind our backs, to some team in Egypt. Also when he used to come on as a sub, he only used to try if the game was still alive and if it wasn't, he didnt really care. Only cared about himself.

madabouthibs
03-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Benji for me is one of the reasons we are where we are now. So much promise, looks a good 'un for the future, etc etc...... Well we're at the future and pretty much f***ed! Cheers Benji, you legend.
Just another one of footballs wasters.

HibbyRod
03-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Benji for me is one of the reasons we are where we are now. So much promise, looks a good 'un for the future, etc etc...... Well we're at the future and pretty much f***ed! Cheers Benji, you legend.
Just another one of footballs wasters.

A bit harsh mate, no?

SGHIBEE
03-03-2012, 11:28 PM
It's amazing how many folk get starry eyed about Benji. Great in the CIS Cup winning team and had the ability to get bums off seats when he had the ball but at the end of the day he shafted Hibs in the way that he treated the club. Remember that pic of him supposedly signing for some other team? Remember him failing to return to ER when expected? We slaughter Murray etc for what they did in the past but it seems Benji is bullet proof

I agree with everything you have said however my point is that he would walk in to the current team. We are crying out for some creativity at the moment.

For all his faults he was and probably still could be a great player for us

(before I get bashed I am not suggesting that we do sign him)

brianmc
04-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Is that the Benji fae the real Madrid??
Pah, make yer Ain mind up!

brianmc
04-03-2012, 01:07 AM
A bit harsh mate, no?

No.

.Sean.
04-03-2012, 02:49 AM
Benji was class. Really dissapointed with the way it turned out for him.

Hero in a Cup-winning Hibs side and that's what we should remember him for. He was fantastic with the fans too, always had time to stop and blether to folk.

offshorehibby
04-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Somebody remind me where Benji is plying his trade these days.
I know where.

Benji in the cup winning team yes nut Benji the other 90% of the time was a waste of a good Hibs jersey.

Pretty Boy
04-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Dont like talking the guy down as he was a key part in one of my best moments as a Hibs fan.

However I remember a game at Tynecastle where I've never seen a player look so obviously disinterested, it was embarassing as he barely moved from the centre circle for 45 mins, what was worse was Fletcher was sitting on the bench. He was promptly hooked at half time and I'm only shocked it wasn't sooner.

Unfortunately that's the Benji I remember showing up far too often, the constant touting himself for a move in various publications was pretty disrespectful too.

MrRobot
04-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Benji was a cracking player who got ruined by a particular managers style of play. Under Collins he was one of the best players in the team and seemed to be one of a few players who were awesome under him(including Fletcher and Stevo).

Pretty sure along with playing hoofball which never would suit a player like Benji, he had his father pass and a divorce in quick succession. Quite a lot to go through while being young in a different country.

You could see on his last game what Hibs mean to him, dont think youll see any other player crying due to leaving.

CRAZYHIBBY
04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Hibs never lost when he scored

Keith_M
04-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Hibs never lost when he scored

On the pitch or off?

:greengrin

LeithBoozy
04-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Benji was a cracking player who got ruined by a particular managers style of play. Under Collins he was one of the best players in the team and seemed to be one of a few players who were awesome under him(including Fletcher and Stevo).

Pretty sure along with playing hoofball which never would suit a player like Benji, he had his father pass and a divorce in quick succession. Quite a lot to go through while being young in a different country.

You could see on his last game what Hibs mean to him, dont think youll see any other player crying due to leaving. Good point Hibbycal and the tears he shed that day were not crocodile tears either. He was not a bad player, the time he ran to the yam end to celabrate after scoring, made him a legend in my eyes. :greengrin

BSEJVT
04-03-2012, 01:55 PM
This thread and others similar to it are why you would need to be off your head to want to play for Hibs or let your son do so.

I dont think I have ever heard a support quite so ready to ridicule and cat call its own players quite like this Hibs one.

Benji was far from perfect but the fact that he scored 2 goals in a cup final for us alone should make sure he is remembered fondly by us.

I dont think I will ever forget him coming on in a 0-0 game v Killie and winning and then missing a penalty and then the abuse he got from some of the knuckle draggers sitting around me.

Derek Riordan 100 goals for Hibs - slated roundly

Just about every player you could name gets ripped apart by at least some faction of the support.

Its pathetic IMO and maybe we are now getting the players we deserve and dragging them down further with our incessant carping about fake tans and other pish like that.

I know that if I played for Hibs and got any better offer I would be off like a shot to somewhere I might just be appreciated, or at least not lambasted.

Where are the heroes we should be passing on to the next generation?

Sauzee is probably the last player almost universally revered.

You can bet that even someone like him or even Pat Stanton would be getting stick from some of the current "support"

Betty Boop
04-03-2012, 02:43 PM
This thread and others similar to it are why you would need to be off your head to want to play for Hibs or let your son do so.

I dont think I have ever heard a support quite so ready to ridicule and cat call its own players quite like this Hibs one.

Benji was far from perfect but the fact that he scored 2 goals in a cup final for us alone should make sure he is remembered fondly by us.

I dont think I will ever forget him coming on in a 0-0 game v Killie and winning and then missing a penalty and then the abuse he got from some of the knuckle draggers sitting around me.

Derek Riordan 100 goals for Hibs - slated roundly

Just about every player you could name gets ripped apart by at least some faction of the support.

Its pathetic IMO and maybe we are now getting the players we deserve and dragging them down further with our incessant carping about fake tans and other pish like that.

I know that if I played for Hibs and got any better offer I would be off like a shot to somewhere I might just be appreciated, or at least not lambasted.

Where are the heroes we should be passing on to the next generation?

Sauzee is probably the last player almost universally revered.

You can bet that even someone like him or even Pat Stanton would be getting stick from some of the current "support"

Fantastic post !:top marks

Gatecrasher
04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
:agree:
Hibs jumped through hoops to keep this guy happy and he didnt repay them