PDA

View Full Version : We're getting there..

3pm
03-03-2012, 05:19 PM
We're definitely getting better. More solid at the back (the Celtic game increasingly looks like a bad day at the office) but we need more going forward at home.

I am sure if we stick at it we're going to be fine.

Frazerbob
03-03-2012, 05:27 PM
We're definitely getting better. More solid at the back (the Celtic game increasingly looks like a bad day at the office) but we need more going forward at home.

I am sure if we stick at it we're going to be fine.

We won't go down now so that is mission accomplished I suppose. A win next week will mean a trip to Hampden and depending on the draw a cracking chance to do the unthinkable. It will give us all something to look forward to. Next week is now the HUGE for us.

BSEJVT
03-03-2012, 05:43 PM
We won't go down now so that is mission accomplished I suppose. A win next week will mean a trip to Hampden and depending on the draw a cracking chance to do the unthinkable. It will give us all something to look forward to. Next week is now the HUGE for us.

First Home Game this season after 20 years with a season ticket.

In some ways we are much better than we were last season.

McPake Claros & Griffiths are better than anything we had last year

Defence werent overly troubled today

Is it a recent phenomenon that the forwards play at least 30 yards ahead of the midfield, who dont seem to make any effort to support them?

Lack of width is frightening

I was surprised at how little intensity there was to Hibs today, I thought we would be really up for it and get tore in amongst them.

There was barely a tackle worth the mention in the whole game.

Our ability to create is entirely dependant on Griffiths making good runs and Claros /Osbourne finding him

We still dont look anything like fit IMO

Found it strange that O' Donovan lasted as long.

Was looking today for a glimmer of an excuse to go every week and to be honest didnt see it today

Prepared for the pelters that come with these comments

MartinfaePorty
03-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Pretty much agree with what you said. Soares missed, as no one from midfield getting forward quickly enough. Thought better shape when Spoony came on and played 'in the hole'. Impressed by both centre halfs, though, and there is much better pressing of opposition than under Calderwood.

Is it a recent phenomenon that the forwards play at least 30 yards ahead of the midfield, who dont seem to make any effort to support them?

I was surprised at how little intensity there was to Hibs today, I thought we would be really up for it and get tore in amongst them.

Our ability to create is entirely dependant on Griffiths making good runs and Claros /Osbourne finding him

Was looking today for a glimmer of an excuse to go every week and to be honest didnt see it today

hfc rd
03-03-2012, 06:00 PM
I agree with the title of this thread that we are getting better but slowly. We really missed Soares in the midfield. Their GK had a great game. Our defence looked good and much better organised. The only thing missing from hibs today was that all important winning goal. I don't know why PF brought gazza on in injury time, when he could have brought him on 10-15 before the end rather than two mins left. MOTM for me was claros with Griffiths closely followed in 2nd.

Onwards & upwards

GGTTH

ano hibby
03-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Would have been great for Claros if his shot had gone in, but he was very tidy overall. Mcpake, Stevenson & Griffiths best players otherwise.
Francomb poor didn't look like he had confidence to take ball from Stack or provide much needed width. Kujabi defended well i thought but again could have provided more width.
Sproule look more interested than recent performances but some poor choices still.

Key point is with that team and spirit we should stay up.

Agree that with 25/30 to go needed Doyle or GOC for O'Donovan who did generally ok but we needed fresh approach.

ano hibby
03-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Oh and would have loved McPakes header from
Corner to go in, great save though

SaulGoodman
03-03-2012, 06:12 PM
When Claros plays a long ball it's usually brilliant. I just think he needs the confidence to do it more often.

seven nowt
03-03-2012, 06:14 PM

Paul Hanlon's slide tackle was a very good challenge midway through the second half. I missed it but I've heard Claros made a good challenge within the first minute too.

hfc rd
03-03-2012, 06:16 PM
When Claros plays a long ball it's usually brilliant. I just think he needs the confidence to do it more often.

Totally agree. But at times there is no one really making the run. Sometimes when we had the ball in the final third, there was not that much movement off the ball going on.

col02
03-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Midfield positions today was baffling at times imho. Sproule should have been on the right with Stevenson in the middle and Claros and Osbourne in the centre. Not a big fan of playing players on their weaker foot unless the ball happens to be in behind with enough time to turn back onto the stronger foot. Crying out for a sub today as well in the forward department and would have went for O'Connor sooner than when he did come on. That said Hanlon and McPake looking stronger every game as a pairing.

down-the-slope
03-03-2012, 06:22 PM
i enjoyed a lot of aspects of todays game. More positive atmosphere (good given all the Hibs kids) and players that looked like a team - and a decent one.

Yes more width required, but we created 4/5 good chances and Stack did not have a save to make I can remember. The players defended from the front and the back 4 were good with plenty cover in front of them.

St Mirren also defended well given the amount of pressure we had, but Thompson for them was as poor as GOC has recently been for us meaning they were not as bit a threat as when they had Higdon. Also thought they missed Goodwin in midfield - although he was comfortable at CH for them.
If we had a goalie that I beleived in behind McPake & Hanlon it would be a really good base with Claros and Lewis in front. I feel we missed Soares and Ivan is not a great option instead. Ivans lack of a left foot prevented chances as he constantly had to turn back when the ball was there to be slung over.

We need a bit more offensively on the bench as we progress as well

DaveF
03-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Seems like Fenlon was happy to accept a point, unless there is another reason why he did not change the foward line.

We are getting better, but today was a chance missed to post 3 points and really the relegation ghost away.

BSEJVT
03-03-2012, 06:28 PM
i enjoyed a lot of aspects of todays game. More positive atmosphere (good given all the Hibs kids) and players that looked like a team - and a decent one.

Yes more width required, but we created 4/5 good chances and Stack did not have a save to make I can remember. The players defended from the front and the back 4 were good with plenty cover in front of them.

St Mirren also defended well given the amount of pressure we had, but Thompson for them was as poor as GOC has recently been for us meaning they were not as bit a threat as when they had Higdon. Also thought they missed Goodwin in midfield - although he was comfortable at CH for them.
If we had a goalie that I beleived in behind McPake & Hanlon it would be a really good base with Claros and Lewis in front. I feel we missed Soares and Ivan is not a great option instead. Ivans lack of a left foot prevented chances as he constantly had to turn back when the ball was there to be slung over.

We need a bit more offensively on the bench as we progress as well

Fair summation

I thought we were very slow moving the ball around and lacked actual pace in the team.

We also appear to be very laboured in waht we did, but I appreciate that is probably lack of confidence manifesting itself.

Sas_The_Hibby
03-03-2012, 06:40 PM

:confused:

4 points ahead, with 8/9 games to go; I trust the players and management aren't as complacent as you seem to be!

Keith_M
03-03-2012, 06:41 PM
I can't comment on the side just now, as I've not had the chance to see them in person for a while, but it looks like a lot of fans aren't buying into the 'Fenlon Revolution'. There were only 8,804 home fans at the game today (according to match update thread).

I think that's a shame but I suppose it's not entirely surprising with how badly we've played at home for a while now.

Hillsidehibby
03-03-2012, 06:43 PM

4 points ahead, with 8/9 games to go; I trust the players and management aren't as complacent as you seem to be!

I agree. Bizzare statement.

lucky
03-03-2012, 07:09 PM
There is a steady improvement, I also don't think we will go down. But It does appear that PF is happy not to lose rather than go for the win. Our midfield sat very deep. At least 30 yards between them and the forwards. With a bit of luck we could get to the cup final and catch both St Mirren and ICT. Next two games will shape our season from a disastrous start to a decent finish.

Franck is God
03-03-2012, 07:46 PM
At the moment we are playing to win points in the simplest way possible starting with a clean sheet and anything that can be pinched at the other end gives us a possible 3 points.

The tactics we are using are pretty simple and far from extravagant but it is fairly effective, a solid back four, quite a narrow midfield four cutting down space for the opposition and in the last few games a mobile hard working front two to try and split wide, hold the ball up to either bring the midfield into scoring positions or win a free kick/corner/throw in an attacking position.

The keeper was the difference for Aberdeen the other week and again Samson today for St Mirren won his team a point with a few excellent saves.

We are definitely getting there, a couple more wins and clean sheets will hopefully leave Dunfermline with too much to do and as a result Fenlon can open the team up a bit and play a more expansive game but with the season we have had to date any point won has to be considered a good one.

down-the-slope
03-03-2012, 07:47 PM
I can't comment on the side just now, as I've not had the chance to see them in person for a while, but it looks like a lot of fans aren't buying into the 'Fenlon Revolution'. There were only 8,804 home fans at the game today (according to match update thread).

I think that's a shame but I suppose it's not entirely surprising with how badly we've played at home for a while now.

I wouldnt worry - if we get a result at Ayr 1000's will be cured of amnesia and suddenly remember they are Hibs supporters :rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
03-03-2012, 07:58 PM

Re the highlighted parts I was saying the same, really had little width, the players looked absolutely out on their feet at around the 70-75 minute mark, and would have brought either Doyle or GOC on with about twenty to go. To give GOC a couple of minutes was a bit pointless IMO

Hibernia&Alba
03-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Really? I thought there were mair, but look at the league table. A decent team playing good football and we can double that. We just need the feel good factor again.

As for the OP, aye, we're getting there. Long way to go and today was an opportunity lost in the sense that the three points would have made a big difference. On the positive side, we should have won, and the point gives us that wee bit of extra breathing space. Let's have a right good go in the cup to lift the spirits, survive in the SPL and then look ahead to a re-vamped side next year. One step at a time :flag:

Frazerbob
03-03-2012, 08:02 PM

4 points ahead with a game in hand. Marked improvement since the end of January and FAR better players now at the club.A few clean sheets in recent weeks which ws the first target IMO. Dunfermline can't buy a win at EEP and now their players are not being paid in full (which is a bigger deal to guys on £500 per week than the Jambos on £5000 per week for example).

I would hope the players and manager aren't as complacent as me also but I still beleive 100%, we won't go down. I couldn't say that a few weeks ago.

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2012, 08:06 PM
I would agree that we are looking a lot more solid, but if you are going to play a conservative game as we appear to be doing at the moment the midfield need to support better when we do break. We had a good second half today, but Ozzy drove me mental a couple of times when he held his position when a run past the player in possession for a pass would have sent him on the way into the St Mirren box.

I'm a bit surprised that folk are saying less than 10,000 Hibbies there today because it looked more than 10,000 to me from the middle of the East.

I see that Ayr beat Falkirk today, so lets not start going on about semi finals just yet, this is going to be a really tough match. Looking forward to it though, should be a cracking atmosphere.

:flag:

bighairyfaeleith
03-03-2012, 08:06 PM
At the moment we are playing to win points in the simplest way possible starting with a clean sheet and anything that can be pinched at the other end gives us a possible 3 points.

The tactics we are using are pretty simple and far from extravagant but it is fairly effective, a solid back four, quite a narrow midfield four cutting down space for the opposition and in the last few games a mobile hard working front two to try and split wide, hold the ball up to either bring the midfield into scoring positions or win a free kick/corner/throw in an attacking position.

The keeper was the difference for Aberdeen the other week and again Samson today for St Mirren won his team a point with a few excellent saves.

We are definitely getting there, a couple more wins and clean sheets will hopefully leave Dunfermline with too much to do and as a result Fenlon can open the team up a bit and play a more expansive game but with the season we have had to date any point won has to be considered a good one.

I agree, this team can play a much better passing game than we currently do, however with every game since mid january(celtic aside) we have played better and better.

We now have a solid defence we can rely on, we have midfield that can control the game.

We don't yet have a settled front line scoring goals, however that will come, we just need O'connor to get his focus and I reckon him and griffiths could be dynamite.

Little steps are what we need, keep building for next season

The Voice Of Reason
03-03-2012, 08:53 PM
I wouldnt worry - if we get a result at Ayr 1000's will be cured of amnesia and suddenly remember they are Hibs supporters :rolleyes:

Uber Fan alert !

A trip to Hampden in a Semi Final - would you rather we didn't have a big support there ?!?!? :confused:

Hardly a new thing for a team to take a lot more fans to a showpiece game than normally turn up on a Saturday is it ?

:yawn::yawn:

Malonga's Cat
03-03-2012, 09:08 PM
I think we are definitely going in the right direction. I wouldn't like to tempt fate but if we keep playing like we did today (and last week) then we should be safe. I think Fenlon has worked wonders so far, given the state we were in when he arrived.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Anyone that was at the first home game against St Mirren and was also there today cannot credibly say that there has been no progress.

Hibernia&Alba
03-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Anyone that was at the first home game against St Mirren and was also there today cannot credibly say that there has been no progress.

Excellent post right here

RIP
03-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Before Christmas a 0-0 draw at home against St Mirren would have been greeted by a loud chorus of boos

The message is finally getting through that we are, for the moment, a bottom six club and survival is our main aim.

I'm happy if we improve steadily over the next few seasons under Pat Fenlon

GGTTH :hibees

matty_f
03-03-2012, 11:49 PM

What a difference having better players in has made.:agree:

I was encouraged again today. We missed a genuine desire to get into their box at times, think Soares brings that more so than any of the midfielders playing today. St Mirren's keeper had a cracking game as well, but I think we were the only team trying to win today and had we got the three points I don't think anyone could have said that they weren't merited.

basehibby
04-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Probably 1000 more than last home game - little steps.....

Gatecrasher
04-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Just remember the last time st mirren were at ER when they played us off the park compared to yesterday. We are definitely getting better. The team created some
good chances yesterday and I think people are forgetting just how little goals st mirren let in. I think towards the end fenlon wanted to secure the point and edge a little more awa from the bottom.

smurf
04-03-2012, 11:56 AM
There has been a huge turnaround since the start of January. Should Dundee Utd take care of Celtc and us v Ayr Utd we are a good shout for the.....

500miles
04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
There has been a huge turnaround since the start of January. Should Dundee Utd take care of Celtc and us v Ayr Utd we are a good shout for the.....

I think there is still a problem with the atmosphere when we play at ER these days. However, I don't think this is down to the fans anymore, but a lingering feeling of trepidation amoungst the players about making mistakes in front of the home crowd. We're going away from home and scoring goals, because the players feel free-er to get the ball down, and take risks, whereas we need to pick up a few home wins - probably in unglamourous games like yesterday - to start doing that at ER.

I don't feel Stevenson performed as well as he has been yesterday - but i do think that he is a more capable ball winner, defender and makes himself more available than Claros, and I am, thus far, unimpressed with the Honduran. He's got talent, but he needs to make that apparent more often over the 90. Too often he is missing.

I think O'Donovan is getting some unfair stick. The St. Mirren defenders were constantly fouling him, and we should have done better with the set pieces which resulted. Certainly, he was earning us oppertunities.

Anyone who can suggest that the back four get anything less than pass marks, when Stack didn't make a single save all day, is off thier heid. Even Francomb. McPake and Hanlon were imperious in the heart of defence.

This season is a write off, and all about maintaining SPL status. However, I'm now looking forward to next year.

sesoim
04-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Seems like Fenlon was happy to accept a point, unless there is another reason why he did not change the foward line.

We are getting better, but today was a chance missed to post 3 points and really the relegation ghost away.

Yip, if we had won then we could start looking at catching a few teams above us. Instead, 0-0's against Aberdeen and St Mirren prove 11th is about our limit this season. What annoys me is that we were above Aberdeen and Inverness when Fenlon arrived, but because we lost a few games under him then suddenly avoiding relegation is our only aim.

I think we'll all cut Fenlon a bit of slack tactics-wise just now, but things will obviously have to change next season. But we'll probably lose another £million+ this season because of our lowly position, which wont help.

Dashing Bob S
04-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Yip, if we had won then we could start looking at catching a few teams above us. Instead, 0-0's against Aberdeen and St Mirren prove 11th is about our limit this season. What annoys me is that we were above Aberdeen and Inverness when Fenlon arrived, but because we lost a few games under him then suddenly avoiding relegation is our only aim.

I think we'll all cut Fenlon a bit of slack tactics-wise just now, but things will obviously have to change next season. But we'll probably lose another £million+ this season because of our lowly position, which wont help.

I think we've gone from relegation fodder to being a pretty dull, mid-table outfit.

The team is still gelling together but we'll lose quite a few of them at the end of the season. Basically it's a job well done, (we were toast under Calderwood) but, as has been said, the real rebuild starts in the summer when PF will try to get a decent side that he can develop over the next couple of seasons into top 3 material.

matty_f
04-03-2012, 11:36 PM

Hopefully the drop in income from league placings is negated by an increase in cash from a decent cup run (with fingers crossed we get at least another game after Saturday).

Stevie Reid
05-03-2012, 11:31 AM
We are definitely getting better, and it seems as though Dunfermline are just as bad as they were/getting worse, so hopefully we should be ok - there is a lot of football to be played though, and given that we have taken 4 points off each other so far this season, we can afford to take nothing for granted. Every week that we better Dunfermline's result is a good week for us and the fact that the goal difference is now 11 (which is obviously extremely unlikely to be turned around in one round of fixtures) means that we are effectively 5 points in front of them at the moment.

With regards to the team, the back four looks solid - Kujabi had his quietest game going forward and put in his worst performance (apart from Celtic at ER) so far, but still played his part in a well organised back four. RB is still an issue in that Francombe looks good going forward but poorer defensively, whilst Doherty is the opposite, but we can just go for horses for courses in that area for the remainder of the season. Stack is still a major concern for me, slow off his line and often suspect at cross balls - I prefer Brown, but that said, (without looking properly) I think our win ratio and number of clean sheets is better with Stack in goals.

In midfield Claros looks like he is playing well within himself, but his class is obvious for all to see - his deeper lying role is clearly pivotal, but given the quality of his passing I would really like to see him advance more and try and provide the killer ball to our strikers/wide men. One thing I have noticed is the quality of the weight of his passes, almost always reaching their target but tempting enough to an opposition player for them to commit themselves to a challenge.

Osbourne is a hugely frustrating player for me, he clearly has good attributes and moments of real quality, but similarly he has a few truly inept moments every game. I find the comments from many (including some posters whose opinion I value) regarding him being a contender for Player of the Year to be truly, truly perplexing - I believe he was immense at Parkhead and East End Park but as a season ticket holder I have yet to see him have a really good game at ER, never mind the several that would be required for him to be spoken of in those terms. Lewis was good again, neat and tidy, and retaining possession well.

Up front I think the idea was to go with two quick and mobile forwards to try and stop St. Mirren playing the ball out from the back (which worked effectively at St. Mirren park earlier this season) - O'Donovan certainly dispossessed their CHs on a number of occasions, but was guilty of giving up possession cheaply on many occasions also. Griffiths is frustrating, and needs to learn to keep the head when playing at Easter Road - it's a real shame that his stupidity resulted in a prolonged suspension just as he was finding his best form for us. Like many others, I thought a change up front should have come earlier than it did, personally I would have thought Doyle's clever moment would have been useful in the closing stages.

All in all, it was a good point, and was again nice to leave Easter Road without feeling thoroughly depressed - we are turning defeats into draws, which is the first step on the road to improvement, and I have every faith that Fenlon will take us to where we want to be.

JimBHibees
05-03-2012, 02:10 PM
I thought it was a decent performance nothing outstanding but probably enough to merit the 3 points. Not sure about the midfield balance and think we missed Soares to make runs from midfield. There seemed to be a lack of energy in midfield also. Would prefer to see Ivan on the right as he is a limited player and he doesnt really suit coming in from that side IMO. Would prefer him back in his impact sub role.

The defence is night and day from earlier in the season with McPake a major influence on the defence and Hanlon who is now starting to look like the quality player he has promised to be. I think Francomb is a decent player however not the best defender and would bring in Doherty for the cup tie which is sure to be a full on physical battle.

I thought it was difficult for the forwards as they didnt get great service or support but thought both did ok and would persevere with them at this time hoping GOC gets in better nick.

We are now drawing games we would have lost earlier in the season so small steps are the order of the day.

blackpoolhibs
05-03-2012, 02:29 PM
We have started to pick up more points than Dunfermline, thats progress in my book. Now when the loans go back to their original clubs, and we are left with the dross we had before they arrived, that will be the time to start worrying again. :wink:

Fenlons job unlike calderclowns, WAS to save us from relegation. Its starting to look like he might, i'd rather be in our position than the pars.

We will just have to wait until next season to see if we can progress again. :pray: