PDA

View Full Version : NHC Hill Walking

Nevi1875
02-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Does anyone do any hill walking/Hiking on here

Was just wondering because i am new to it just recently took it up and thought it would be a good idea to put it on here . Maybe a walk along the pentlands while having a blether about the hibs ?

Thanks in Advance

Mark79
02-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Anyone with a season ticket at the back of the east is technically qualified.

I'm_cabbaged
02-03-2012, 06:59 AM
I like to go a wondering along the cliffs of Dover......

If I see a hearts fan there I push the bassa over.

EskbankHibby
02-03-2012, 08:05 AM

Was just wondering because i am new to it just recently took it up and thought it would be a good idea to put it on here . Maybe a walk along the pentlands while having a blether about the hibs ?

Thanks in Advance

Go walking with my dad a few times a year, he used to be a Munro bagger (more than 90) and we used to go away for a week every year to places like Pyrenees, Dolomites, High Tatras - all good.

We do more centre based stuff now so mostly day walks/weekends with a day pack only which makes a difference when you don't feel like you are carrying a mock tudor mansion on your back. Peak district in Derbyshire is a favourite, gentle hills about 14 mile average days and you always hit a village at half way for a pint and some food.

Pentlands are excellent, a favourite 'social' walk of mine would be the Water of Leith, almost 13 miles but you can pop into Colinton, Longstone, Roseburn, Stockbridge, Canonmills and Leith for a pint.:greengrin

Wembley67
02-03-2012, 08:28 AM

Thanks in Advance

Pentlands can be an awesome walk, if you do the full thing it can be in excess of 20miles....if you can get up there by sunrise it's really stunning and you can be home by lunchtime if you really get your finger out.

I miss staying up that neck of the woods, used to be up there nearly every weekend, it's fantastic training before you tackle some Munro's.

Twa Cairpets
02-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Thanks in Advance

There's definitely a few walkers on .net - there's been a few threads over the years. I go walking but with the exception of taking a few mates up some munros (and my wee girl when she's not doing something else), I go alone as I prefer to completely get away from it all, go at my pace, and decide how far I want to go on any particular day - I actually just noticed I'd gone over 120 solo munro mark out of 178 in total. What a miserable bugger I am.

frazeHFC
02-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Go walking with my dad a few times a year, he used to be a Munro bagger (more than 90) and we used to go away for a week every year to places like Pyrenees, Dolomites, High Tatras - all good.

We do more centre based stuff now so mostly day walks/weekends with a day pack only which makes a difference when you don't feel like you are carrying a mock tudor mansion on your back. Peak district in Derbyshire is a favourite, gentle hills about 14 mile average days and you always hit a village at half way for a pint and some food.

Pentlands are excellent, a favourite 'social' walk of mine would be the Water of Leith, almost 13 miles but you can pop into Colinton, Longstone, Roseburn, Stockbridge, Canonmills and Leith for a pint.:greengrin

With the flood defence works underway, the WoL has a fair few diversions atm, but yeah a decent walk.

EskbankHibby
02-03-2012, 02:28 PM
With the flood defence works underway, the WoL has a fair few diversions atm, but yeah a decent walk.

True, worst stretch for diversions was after Stockbridge/Canonmills, not walked it for a wee while to be honest so not sure about the current state of play.

Scouse Hibee
02-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Enjoable walk from Balerno across the hills to the Flotterstone Inn, done it a couple of times when we were doing some traing walks before we done the West Highland Way. When I say enjoyable I mean the pint at the end of it :greengrin

HH81
02-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Anyone fancy 3 Yorkshire peaks? :-)

MoscowHibs
05-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I go to the Angus Glens, Clova, Doll, Esk and Prosen quite a lot, some quality walks there. The walk from the Clova hotel to loch Brandy is fabulous, finishing off back at the hotel for liquid refreshments a plenty, and if you want to make a night of it you can get a bed in the bunkhouse for £17 or £25 with a huge Scottish breakfast, http://www.clova.com/index.cfm
If in the off season you want to try something a wee bit more harder, then try Jocks Road, which is from Glen Doll to Glen Shee. You can do it in a day, but better if you take 2 days, tenting it half way.