PDA

View Full Version : Question Erich Schaedler

Hibernia Na Eir
27-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Did the legend wear the number 2 shirt for Hibs?

cheers

tanfield
27-02-2012, 08:40 PM
No. 3

Sammy7nil
27-02-2012, 08:42 PM
No. 3

:agree::agree::agree:

Hibernia Na Eir
27-02-2012, 08:44 PM
No. 3

:agree::agree::agree:

LB, right enough!

cheers.

Eaststand
27-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Did the legend wear the number 2 shirt for Hibs?

cheers

John Brownlie wore the number 2 shirt, Shades was the number 3

GGTTH

--------
27-02-2012, 09:05 PM

GGTTH

I think Shades wore the 9 shirt on at least one occasion. Special tactical switch. :devil:

Redford Raj
27-02-2012, 09:10 PM

GGTTH
one of the nicest guys I ever meet and probably the best left back Hibs have have had to papa
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Jonnyboy
27-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I think Shades wore the 9 shirt on at least one occasion. Special tactical switch. :devil:

He did indeed. And it worked a treat :greengrin

Redford Raj
27-02-2012, 09:16 PM
He would have played any position for the hibees and probably did

Hibrandenburg
27-02-2012, 09:24 PM
He would have played any position for the hibees and probably did

Seem to remember him playing in goal as well.

MrSmith
27-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Was a really nice guy, lived just across the road from me andwould regularly see him kicking a footie in Gracemount High School playing fields. Tragic loss!

Redford Raj
27-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Was a really nice guy, lived just across the road from me andwould regularly see him kicking a footie in Gracemount High School playing fields. Tragic loss!
there is a Doberman named after him and they are the bravest and most faithful dogs ever bred

Hibernia Na Eir
27-02-2012, 09:32 PM
He was a great guy and i was fortunate enough to have chatted to him once. Right good humoured bloke.
R.I.P.:not worth

Killiehibbie
27-02-2012, 09:39 PM
there is a Doberman named after him and they are the bravest and most faithful dogs ever bredDo you mean a KC registration name? I used to womder if he bred the pair I used to see him with.

Redford Raj
27-02-2012, 09:52 PM
He was a great guy and i was fortunate enough to have chatted to him once. Right good humoured bloke.
R.I.P.:not worth
for all the Stantons, Cropleys, Edwards, O'Rouke, Brownlie, Blackley or Black you need a player who will do the mundane things like clearing the lines, taking a long throw etc., These are the players you build teams on. A couple of players like that and our quid will be in. PS when did we have someone to take a long throw ins.

Redford Raj
27-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Do you mean a KC registration name? I used to womder if he bred the pair I used to see him with.
I used to see them at the Abercorn garage and my son in London had a beautiful one who died at Christmas. Once you get over the fear of their size they are the most faithful lap dog!

Jonnyboy
27-02-2012, 10:10 PM
there is a Doberman named after him and they are the bravest and most faithful dogs ever bred

I used to see them at the Abercorn garage and my son in London had a beautiful one who died at Christmas. Once you get over the fear of their size they are the most faithful lap dog!

As the proud owner of a Dobe I can say that I couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

Redford Raj
27-02-2012, 10:13 PM
As the proud owner of a Dobe I can say that I couldn't agree more :thumbsup:
Hi Jonnyboy will you still love them with their tail attached.

Jonnyboy
27-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Hi Jonnyboy will you still love them with their tail attached.

Sure will although they look a bit odd :greengrin

Redford Raj
27-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Sure will although they look a bit odd :greengrin
I agree shall we start campaign to stop the docking of their tails!

Hermit Crab
27-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Daft question to ask maybe but is Shades autograph rare? TIA

Redford Raj
27-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Daft question to ask maybe but is Shades autograph rare? TIA
No are we talking about the latest Kennel Club conditions about not docking the tails of Dobermans. The tail of of a Doberman now looks so long and thin.

Stantons Angel
27-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Erich was a lovely guy and a genuine human being too. He had time for everyone and often let those dogs roam around his pub in Easter Road.

Nothing however took the place his (then) young child to whom he was devoted be it his dogs or his love for our team Hibernian.

He was a one in a million type of guy, loyal and honest, as hard as nails on the park, never did i see him let his team down. He loved Hibs and was so disappointed in the way he was decanted off to Dundee.

I remember sometime ago sitting down at a table to speak with John Blackley,who immediately said "you cant sit there that's "Shades" seat and smiled at me. Just showed how high in his comrades esteem he is still held.

A really good man and a great Hibby, RIP Erich.

Hermit Crab
27-02-2012, 11:15 PM
No are we talking about the latest Kennel Club conditions about not docking the tails of Dobermans. The tail of of a Doberman now looks so long and thin.

:confused:

Redford Raj
27-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Erich was a lovely guy and a genuine human being too. He had time for everyone and often let those dogs roam around his pub in Easter Road.

Nothing however took the place his (then) young child to whom he was devoted be it his dogs or his love for our team Hibernian.

He was a one in a million type of guy, loyal and honest, as hard as nails on the park, never did i see him let his team down. He loved Hibs and was so disappointed in the way he was decanted off to Dundee.

I remember sometime ago sitting down at a table to speak with John Blackley,who immediately said "you cant sit there that's "Shades" seat and smiled at me. Just showed how high in his comrades esteem he is still held.

A really good man and a great Hibby, RIP Erich.
Sorry for getting off the appreciation track Erich was a great guy and I remember all the the chats I had with him at Vicky's Bar and Shades he had time for everyone and even for a sad fart like me!

surreyhibbie
27-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Sorry for getting off the appreciation track Erich was a great guy and I remember all the the chats I had with him at Vicky's Bar and Shades he had time for everyone and even for a sad fart like me!

One of the nicest guys you could hope to meet, only passed a few words with him but felt at ease immediately in the presence of one of my heroes.

A helluva player as well, don't forget...

RIP Erich

Ray_
28-02-2012, 12:02 AM

He did that & I think Dunfermline had a very young forward called Mackie [or something like that] who to went to Rangers for about 50K shortly after that game.

--------
28-02-2012, 12:14 AM

IIRC Mr Barry was well impressed. I believe the occasion - or perhaps i should say Mr Schaedler - left a lasting impression on him.

Indeed, he may still carry the scars to this day. ...

Ned Turnbull could be a bad, bad man when he put his mind to it. :devil:

hibbybrian
28-02-2012, 03:10 AM
IIRC Mr Barry was well impressed. I believe the occasion - or perhaps i should say Mr Schaedler - left a lasting impression on him.

Big Roy would have been very impressed and maybe envious of Shade's skill :greengrin however immediately after kick off Shades collided with the late John Cushley, ex-celtc and West Ham Centre-half who required extensive treatment before he could continue :wink:

Ned certainly got the tactics right that day :top marks

sauzee6_2
28-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Good article about him.

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/profile_erich_schaedler_hibernian_hero_1_1370998

Seveno
28-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Seem to remember him playing in goal as well.

Took over in goals during a game when Willie Wilson took a head knock. Wilson carried on playing on the left wing with a bandage round his head.

Real men in those days.

Erich was one of my favourite players of that era, he gave everything he had for Hibs.

--------
28-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Big Roy would have been very impressed and maybe envious of Shade's skill :greengrin however immediately after kick off Shades collided with the late John Cushley, ex-celtc and West Ham Centre-half who required extensive treatment before he could continue :wink:

Shades - unlike the big fat actor who played Superman in the TV series - actually WAS faster than a speeding bullet and more powerful than a locomotive and "colliding" with him could seriously damage your health.

IIRC after he was done with Cushley he went after RB - and RB declined the invitation. :tee hee:

Ned certainly got the tactics right that day :top marks

Ain't that the truth! :agree:

Golden Bear
28-02-2012, 10:03 AM
I remember Erich playing for Tweeddale Rovers in the Lothian Amateur League and in those days he was a flying right winger.

He was a dedicated sportsperson whose footballing abilities continued to progress throughout the various stages of his professional career and his "cap" at left back for Scotland against West Germany was well deserved.

IFONLY
28-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Good article about him.

Thanks for that.

Hibs07p
28-02-2012, 12:25 PM

Pretty sure Erich was involved in a collision with Bryan Robson at the corner of the shed and terracing. Britain was in white out mode with plenty games off, and we arranged a friendly with Man U, winter 1981/ '82. Needless to say, mr Robson went off with a dislocated shoulder and was out for about six weeks. Remember, it was only a friendly, but obviously reputations didn't matter to him.

GGTTH

Seveno
28-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Took over in goals during a game when Willie Wilson took a head knock. Wilson carried on playing on the left wing with a bandage round his head.

Real men in those days.

Erich was one of my favourite players of that era, he gave everything he had for Hibs.

My memory may have created a factual inaccuracy. On second thoughts, it was maybe Peter Cormack that went in goals that day. Too early for Shades.

--------
28-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Pretty sure Erich was involved in a collision with Bryan Robson at the corner of the shed and terracing. Britain was in white out mode with plenty games off, and we arranged a friendly with Man U, winter 1981/ '82. Needless to say, mr Robson went off with a dislocated shoulder and was out for about six weeks. Remember, it was only a friendly, but obviously reputations didn't matter to him.

GGTTH

You may well be right - as I said, colliding with Erich was a bit like colliding with the Queen Mary. There was only ever going to be one winner.

And you know - there must be something about Manchester United and Hibs left-backs. Shades did Robson, and Joe T did Strachan.

Bring on Evra!
:devil:

Was that when Willie Macfarlane jumbled all the shirt numbers against Rangers?..I have a memory of us winning although I was mystified as to how it worked..I reckon it was a coincidence and we'd have won anyway:)

Not the time I'm thinking of. Messrs Barry and Cushley had been making noises in the press about 'sorting out' a certain free-scoring Hibs centre-forward. Ned thought it would do them good to mark Shades instead.

It did. :devil:

I remember Willie giving Peter Marinello the 9-shirt at Ibrox - it might have been his first game as Hibs manager - and Peter scored two before the Huns had got themselves sorted out and we ended up winning 3-1.

Oh, for the days when the number on the back of the jersey meant something.

Number 7 - tricky, diving wee winger.

Number 8 - sneaky, devious, cheating wee inside-forward.

Number 3 - SHADES.

Number 4 - His Imperial Highness Patrick Gordon Stanton, King of Easter Road.

Number 5 - BIG BAD JOHN.

(Sigh.)

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Erich was a gentleman, one of my heroes as a kid growing up, and a friend later when he took over Shades Bar on easter road.

He'd have been a fantastic person to have had around the coaching staff, whoever you were, you'd have known what it meant to wear the green and white of Hibs, he'd have made sure of that. :not worth

--------
28-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Erich was a gentleman, one of my heroes as a kid growing up, and a friend later when he took over Shades Bar on easter road.

He'd have been a fantastic person to have had around the coaching staff, whoever you were, you'd have known what it meant to wear the green and white of Hibs, he'd have made sure of that. :not worth

Sadly missed, BH. :agree:

Kojock
28-02-2012, 02:57 PM

GGTTH

Remember a game against Rangers at ER and Derek Parlane decided to go for a 50/50 with shades resulting in Shades getting to his feet and dusting himself down while waiting for a stretcher to carry Parlane off with a smashed collar bone.

Not the biggest of blokes heightwise but strong as an Ox and the heart of a lion.

Remember him scoring from halfway at Darkheid in a 1-1 draw. It was the replay for the 0-2 game that was abandoned for the fog (light mist)

Just as an aside did he not have two Red Setters when he lived in Musselburgh

jdships
28-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Sadly missed, BH. :agree:

Amen to that
He was truely " a man amongst men" !!
We were close friends for many years and just a few days before his death he was in my house with Christmas presents for my son and daughter .

Legend is a word used too easily today , in respect of sportsmen but think that he earned it :top marks

RIP

Golden Bear
28-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Remember a game against Rangers at ER and Derek Parlane decided to go for a 50/50 with shades resulting in Shades getting to his feet and dusting himself down while waiting for a stretcher to carry Parlane off with a smashed collar bone.

Not the biggest of blokes heightwise but strong as an Ox and the heart of a lion.

Remember him scoring from halfway at Darkheid in a 1-1 draw. It was the replay for the 0-2 game that was abandoned for the fog (light mist)
Just as an aside did he not have two Red Setters when he lived in Musselburgh

I remember that game.

My mate was convinced that the fog was really smoke and was the result of Celtic supporters leaving the stadium early, going outside, setting fire to the Autumn leaves, then wafting the smoke back into the ground!

:greengrin

cocopops1875
28-02-2012, 04:48 PM
7955 Posted this before but this is me and erich when i was wee pre season in inverness :greengrin

allezsauzee
28-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Good article about him.

Reading this always brings a tear to my eye. Shades was the first player I worshipped when i started supporting the cabbage.

Peevemor
28-02-2012, 05:07 PM

GGTTH

The match was played on boxing day and the incident between Shades and Robson (Man Utd had broken the British record transfer fee to sign him) happened just on the edge of the 18yd box IIRC.

Wille Jamieson came of the benchthat day and scored with his forst touch of the ball.

sadtom
28-02-2012, 05:14 PM
The times i met him he always seemed a sound, likeable guy.
Having been a regular on the Shaedler branch bus, it was incredible the amount of times he paid off debts that the branch had run up. Even when it wiz clear that the 2 dafties who were running the bus were ripping of the cash Erich would still help out.
R.I.P.

Stantons Angel
28-02-2012, 05:17 PM
just want to thank everyone for sharing their memories of Erich, i have read them all with a smile on my face. Ive remembered the games andthe incidents id thought id forgotten.

The article posted about him brought a tear to my eye when reading it. It was so well written and makes it even more incredible the way he left us.

I have many memories of Erich, all good and all make me glad i knew him and was able to watch him play for the HIBS!

MSK
28-02-2012, 05:40 PM
I first posted this up in 2007, a great read about a great man ..

Shades - If only we had more like him..

lets spare a thought for this guy who so tragically cut short his life ..one of my greats ..if only we had some of his guts & determination in the current team ..

Tom Brogan Remembers Hibs Fullback Erich Schaedler
August 29th, 2006

A superb full back who never really got the recognition he deserved in the game. - Pat Stanton.

THE son of a German Prisoner of War who had played for Borussia Moenchengladbach, Biggar-born Erich Peter Schaedler signed for Stirling Albion from Juvenile side Melbourne Thistle in 1969. After 24 games for the club, he moved to Hibs in a 7,000 deal. A left-back, nicknamed
Shades, he was famed for his no-nonsense style.

When Hibs boss Willie McFarlane signed Schaedler he described him to his senior players as, a cross between [legendary Italian defender] Facchetti and [Lisbon Lion] Tommy Gemmell. He also added that that he could, “take really long throws as well.

Hibs legend Pat Stanton told hibs.net; “We didn’t quite know what to expect and when Erich arrived we could tell pretty quickly that Willie’s assessment was really spot on, at least in relation to the long throws! He went on to say, What Erich did though was to make up the skills shortfall in his game by being ultra good at everything else. A tremendous tackler and a tireless worker up and down that left side, Erich was a fitness fanatic and when you played alongside him he never let you down”.

In 1971 Eddie Turnbull, one of Hibernians Famous Five, took over as manager. Schaedler became a mainstay of the side that came to be known as Turnbulls Tornadoes.

The early seventies were a particularly successful spell for the club. The side finished 3rd in the league in 72-73 and were runners-up in the 1974-75 season. Erich won a League Cup medal in 1972, was a Scottish Cup Finalist the same year and a League Cup runner-up in 1974. He was also part of the Hibs sides that won consecutive Dryburgh Cups in 1972 & 73, most memorably beating Celtic 5-3 in the former. Erich also played in the team that beat city rivals Hearts 7-0 on New Years Day 1973, a match that is widely considered to be the greatest victory in Hibernian?s history.
Although his father was a German who had married and settled in Scotland after World War II, Schaedler only ever considered himself a Scot and was said to be fiercely patriotic about his Scottish nationality.

He played for the Scottish national team only once, in March 1974 in a 2-1 defeat to West Germany, at Frankfurt’s Wald Stadion.

Schaedler did not actually receive a cap from the Scottish Football Association for this game.

Under the rules that were in place from 1929 until the start of the 1976-77 season, players only received a cap from the SFA if they played in a Home International Championship fixture.

It was only earlier this year that the SFA began to correct this oversight.

The book “My Father and Other Working Class Heroes” by Gary Imlach brought the situation to light. His late father Stewart, a former Nottingham Forest winger had played for Scotland at the 1958 World Cup Finals, but had never been awarded a cap to commemorate his service.

A campaign called "The Cap Fits" was then started by the Edinburgh Evening News. Hibs chairman Rod Petrie took a personal interest and wrote to the SFA’s chief executive David Taylor, calling the rule arcane. The SFA finally buckled under the pressure and decided to award retrospective caps in April of this year.

In total 83 Scottish internationals were denied caps.

Erichs brother John accepted his cap on 30th of April 2006, at a ceremony organised by Hibernian to honour Schaedler and the 5 other Hibs players denied caps.

That game in Frankfurt wasnt the only time Erich was involved with the national team however. He was a member of Scotlands 1974 World Cup Squad in West Germany. As cover for full-backs Sandy Jardine and Danny McGrain he was allocated the squad number 22. He didnt play a game as Scotland were knocked out of the competition on goal difference.

In November 1977, Schaedler moved to Dundee. The fans there took to his committed playing style and he became a firm favourite on the terraces. He helped the Dens Park side to the First Division in 1979, was a League Cup finalist in 1980, and went on to play 101 league games.

During the late 1970s and early 80s his love for the game was such that he helped out at Edinburgh side Salvesen Boys Club which then included future Hearts stalwart Gary MacKay.

He returned to Hibs in 1981. He was a hugely popular player with the fans in both his spells with the club. With the Hibees he made a combined total of 282 league appearances.

Schaedler owned a pub called Shades in Easter Road, not far from the Hibs ground. In 1984 he helped two police officers disarm a shotgun raider who had tried to rob his establishment. For this act of bravery he was awarded the Lothian Police Meritorious Award, presented to him by Scottish Secretary George Younger.

He moved to Dumbarton on a free transfer before the start of the 1985/86 season. He turned part-time and in total made 14 appearances for The Sons.

A few weeks before Christmas of 1985 Erich and his wife divorced. On Christmas Eve he went on a shooting trip alone. A field sports enthusiast he regularly took his 12 bore shotgun to go rough shooting in the Borders.

He failed to pick up his dogs that evening, from neighbours who had been looking after them, and a search was launched. On the 27th of December his body was discovered in his car in a remote wood at Wallace Hill, Cardrona on the banks of the Tweed. He was 36.

Naturally, his death shocked Scottish football. His Dumbarton team-mate Gordon Arthur told the Daily Record at the time, ?He seemed a bit down before Christmas…but I never thought for a minute he was so depressed?.

Dumbarton?s New Year game with Alloa was postponed and Hibs fans observed a moving moment?s silence before their match with Clydebank.

Hard as nails, eccentric and loyal, the Hibs fans who remember him in the green and white still regard him as one of their greatest ever players.

IFONLY
28-02-2012, 06:05 PM
just want to thank everyone for sharing their memories of Erich, i have read them all with a smile on my face. Ive remembered the games andthe incidents id thought id forgotten.

The article posted about him brought a tear to my eye when reading it. It was so well written and makes it even more incredible the way he left us.

I have many memories of Erich, all good and all make me glad i knew him and was able to watch him play for the HIBS!

Amen to that Jeanette.

BSEJVT
28-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Thinking about Erich always leaves me with extremely mixed emotions.

Joy

I absolutely loved Erich as a Hibs player, in all the years since the only guy remotely capable of lacing his boots was David Murphy

Erich though stood out as being hard as nails and superfit and was to use and old fashioned phrase a man other men would aspire to be as footballers.

I will see in my mind's eye till the day I die the tackle he made at Tynie in the 7-0 game that led to the cross for Gordon's header

Sadness

I simply couldnt believe how he died and it never occurred to me before that time that someone like him who was almost universally worshipped by the Hibs support could get so low that that seemed his only option.

RIP Erich

Still sorely missed

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-02-2012, 06:58 PM

Joy

I absolutely loved Erich as a Hibs player, in all the years since the only guy remotely capable of lacing his boots was David Murphy

Erich though stood out as being hard as nails and superfit and was to use and old fashioned phrase a man other men would aspire to be as footballers.

I will see in my mind's eye till the day I die the tackle he made at Tynie in the 7-0 game that led to the cross for Gordon's header

Sadness

I simply couldnt believe how he died and it never occurred to me before that time that someone like him who was almost universally worshipped by the Hibs support could get so low that that seemed his only option.

RIP Erich

Still sorely missed

It's very sad to say this but having Known Erich for many years there are a few people know the real reason (2 actually) he killed himself, without resorting to sleaze one of the reasons would not have mattered a jot these days.

A very sadly missed gentleman.

Phil D. Rolls
28-02-2012, 07:00 PM
I only met him once, he did the bar at my wedding. I always remember that he did the whole shift wearing wellies. I think he might have been a wee bit eccentric, but he could play.

AustinHibee
28-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Seem to remember a game at Easter Road when he went head first into the wall round
the pitch and just got up and carried on playing.
One of the two hardest men i have seen playing for Hibs.
(John Madsen being the other.

I seem to remember him crashing head first into the wall surrounding the pitch
and just getting up and carry on playing.
One of the two hardest men i saw playing for the Hibs.
(John Madsen being the other.)

Col L
28-02-2012, 07:19 PM
A pleasant coincidence to see this thread started as I have recently started writing a book on Erich's life and career (not only the Cabbage, but his involvement with Scotland, Stirling, Dundee and Dumbarton as well as his amateur days) and would welcome any private messages from Hibbies that saw him play or met him either in his pub or in or around Easter Road for possible inclusion in the book (probably due for release in 2013).

Tom Brogan's article on Hibs.net a few years back and the one two Christmases ago in Scotland on Sunday by Paul Forysth to mark the 25th anniversary of Erich's death were both excellent and inspirational.

My own personal memories of Shades was seeing him working out in the gym long after training when I was getting shown round with a bunch of other Hibs Kids as part of a stadium tour in the early 1980s (during his second spell at ER). He had lots of time for us and his character matched his commitment on the pitch to Hibs - a truly class act.

7 Hills
28-02-2012, 07:38 PM

Joy

Sadness

RIP Erich

Still sorely missed

Well put, this sums it up for me. One of my first Hibee Heroes - I was 17 when he sadly died in such tragic circumstances. Comes as a real jolt to realise that he was 7 years younger than I am now when he took his own life. Such a sad, sad waste.

JustSimplyHibs
28-02-2012, 07:44 PM
for all the Stantons, Cropleys, Edwards, O'Rouke, Brownlie, Blackley or Black you need a player who will do the mundane things like clearing the lines, taking a long throw etc., These are the players you build teams on. A couple of players like that and our quid will be in. PS when did we have someone to take a long throw ins.

Gordon 'Jukebox' Durie is the only one i can recall

bigwheel
28-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Gordon 'Jukebox' Durie is the only one i can recall

Richie Towell ??

The Harp
28-02-2012, 08:00 PM
So good to see so many fine contributions and tributes to Erich on this thread - all started by a simple question "Did the legend wear the number 2 shirt for Hibs?"
Just shows the esteem Erich is still held in by the fans.
One memory I have is of Erich playing in one of his first games for Hibs against a Polish side, Gornik, I think it was. Erich's determination and will to win resulted in a collision with an unfortunate Peter Cormack, who was stretchered off ... and the game was a friendly!!!
I never had the pleasure of meeting Erich but his performances in a Hibs shirt will never be forgotten by those who were lucky enough to witness them.

RIP Erich

Jonnyboy
28-02-2012, 08:05 PM
A pleasant coincidence to see this thread started as I have recently started writing a book on Erich's life and career (not only the Cabbage, but his involvement with Scotland, Stirling, Dundee and Dumbarton as well as his amateur days) and would welcome any private messages from Hibbies that saw him play or met him either in his pub or in or around Easter Road for possible inclusion in the book (probably due for release in 2013).

Tom Brogan's article on Hibs.net a few years back and the one two Christmases ago in Scotland on Sunday by Paul Forysth to mark the 25th anniversary of Erich's death were both excellent and inspirational.

My own personal memories of Shades was seeing him working out in the gym long after training when I was getting shown round with a bunch of other Hibs Kids as part of a stadium tour in the early 1980s (during his second spell at ER). He had lots of time for us and his character matched his commitment on the pitch to Hibs - a truly class act.

Nice one Colin :thumbsup:

One of my favourite Erich stories involves an incident at the Wally Dug pub where the players went for a quiet drink after a game. I was talking to John Blackley when I became aware of a bit of a commotion at the bar. Some drunken Jambo was giving Pat Stanton pelters and Pat being Pat was just ignoring him. Suddenly Erich appeared on the scene, ushered the Jambo out of the door and came back a couple of minutes later. Whilst dusting his hands off he announced that the guy would not be coming back to finish his drink and added "No-one gets to speak to God like that" :greengrin

A real gent, a lovely guy to meet and chat with and a damned fine footballer.

tanfield
28-02-2012, 08:21 PM
When I was young he lived in the flat below us. I always remember passing him in the stair and told him that I had a (bubblegum) card of him. Well I was only 6 at the time!

BSEJVT
28-02-2012, 08:54 PM

Couldnt swear to this due to the fog of time but i think I remember being at a game where Erich got into some altercation with another player and they had each other by the throat.

IIRC Erich wore a chain (St Christopher?) and the altercation broke it and on noticing this he went back for another dash at the guy.

Keep me posted on the book please (by PM if necessary) and good luck with it.

A fine fine player like Erich and a great servant to Hibs (in particular) deserves such an accolade and I will be more than happy to buy it, particularly if some of the proceeds went towards dealing with whatever demons destroyed him in the end.

LeithBoozy
28-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I was in a boozer in Leith walk, when the barmaid who I knew well handed me a photo of Dundee. She told me to pay particular attention to Eric, I found him no problem crouched down in the front row, she asked me I dont know how many times what was unusual about him. Finally the penny dropped, Eric's meat and two veg was hanging out the side of his shorts. I can only assume he had arranged it with the photographer before hand !!! :greengrin

Forza Fred
29-02-2012, 07:38 AM
He did that & I think Dunfermline had a very young forward called Mackie [or something like that] who to went to Rangers for about 50K shortly after that game.

His name was Ken Mackie, and Rangers in their usual policy of buying the oppositionn's key players and not playing them paid 30k.

His partner was Graham Shaw, who went to Hertz.

Shawsie wasn''t a bad bloke from Piershill, who went to Leith Academy, although he was an out and out jambo it must be said.

Forza Fred
29-02-2012, 07:51 AM
I kinew Erich too and can remember once in a conversation when he had just signed for us, he agreed that he was thrown into the deep end at HIbs probably a tad too early for his liking.

The record books show that Willie McFarlane brought him from Stirling Albion, but what isnt widely known is that only 3 or 4 months before that he wás stil'l playing under 21 football - I remember seeing his side (forget their name now, but former Hibs director Allan Munro played for them too) win the under 21 Scottish Cup final against Whitehill welfare at Olive Bank not long before he joined Hibs.

A fine chap he was.

micka_weer
29-02-2012, 07:56 AM

GGTTH

Pretty sure it was after that that robson developed his continuous shoulder problems

Baker9
29-02-2012, 08:31 AM
I am indulging muyself a bit here but all in the memory of a great player.

My earliest memory of him was before his Hibs days when he played in a very good secondary juvenile Melbourne Thistle side, beaten in the Scottish Cup final by the amazing Campsie Black Watch team from Lennoxtown.

I played for 3 seasons with St Bernards at U-21 and I doubt if there will any record anywhere of this but Schaedler played for MT against Alex Cropley in a league game at Gipsy Brae against St Bernards. The records show Cropley as coming from Edina but he did have some time with St Bernards U-16 and his older brother Tam played for us. I think that Tam went on to play with Newtongrange Star and had he had a bit more pace would surely have played senior.

We had an injury problem for that Gipsy Brae game and this little skelf of a guy turned up and got stripped for us, played a stormer in a 4-2 win, and disappeared never to be seen again. My biggest claim to fame when I think of it could be the day that I played in a game with two Tornadoes. I’ll use that from now on. I could become a quiz question. :greengrin

My memory of games against us has Erich as a marauding midfielder causing havoc everywhere on the park and I think of him in midfield rather than at full back in his early days. The word ‘legend’ gets bandied about too easily sometimes but it fits Erich beautifully. One of my abiding memories of the 0-7 game was Schadeler coming off at half time towards the Tynecastle enclosure, a huge grin on his face and his hand up indicating 5 first half goals. He was loving it with a passion.

Forza Fred
29-02-2012, 08:47 AM
I kinew Erich too and can remember once in a conversation when he had just signed for us, he agreed that he was thrown into the deep end at HIbs probably a tad too early for his liking.

The record books show that Willie McFarlane brought him from Stirling Albion, but what isnt widely known is that only 3 or 4 months before that he wás stil'l playing under 21 football - I remember seeing his side (forget their name now, but former Hibs director Allan Munro played for them too) win the under 21 Scottish Cup final against Whitehill welfare at Olive Bank not long before he joined Hibs.

A fine chap he was.

Jut remembered.

Melbourne Thistle was the under 21 side.

Baker9
29-02-2012, 09:50 AM

A fine chap he was.

I had no idea that was the same Allan Munro as played for Melbourne Thistle - big centre half, nice guy, maybe too nice.

brog
29-02-2012, 11:02 AM
My fav footballing memory of Erich ( 0-7 aside ), was a game against Ayr Utd. Johnny Doyle was Ayr right winger & was winding Erich up all game. Ayr were kicking downhill & Doyle cut inside about 30 yards from goal. Instead of tackling him Erich herded him like a sheepdog staight across the park, about 60 yards. Every other player just got out their way until they reached the far touchline where Erich blootered Doyle into & over the enclosure wall. Instead of their being a big dust up Hibs & Ayr players were crying with laughter as were the whole crowd!!
Think Erich got booked & even the ref's shoulders were shaking - superb guy, great player.

jdships
29-02-2012, 04:49 PM

At the time E was playing I owned a large heavy duty car trailer and one afternoon he phoned me
" Can you shift a Roller for me to morrow ? "
" Don't tell me you've bought a " roller" bonuses must be pretty good "
" Hey who do you think I am Alan Gordon ? Hibs have bought a second hand grass roller from Meadowbank and they need it brought to ER , while your on any good contacts for a decent second hand BMW ? !!!"

Great man and a family friend : still talked about with affection in our house

:flag:

Gola
01-03-2012, 04:18 PM

Not so young Ken Mackie has worked with Fife Council for the last 27 years and never did sign for Rangers . He went to Falkirk and then East Fife before starring for Fife Council IT 5 a sides beside me .

The Erich Schaedler stuff on this thread shows what Hibs lack now , total commitment !!

banarc7062
01-03-2012, 08:54 PM

Remember the game against Barcelona where Baker and Kinloch wore each other's shirts to confuse them. Certainly worked:thumbsup: