PDA

View Full Version : Transport to Ayr

Macaroon
27-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Looking to travel down to Ayr with 3 mates for the game. Never been in terracing before so should be an experience at least :greengrin

Only problem is travel options, what are the best ways to get down there? e.g. train, coach etc.

Experienced commuters with some specific routes/tickets would be greatly appreciated, cheers. :aok:

GGTTH :flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Its £22.50 for a return train ticket, you change trains in Glasgow and get the train to Ayr from Glasgow Central.

Gee7062
27-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Ive just booked return train tickets for 6 of us for £22.30 per person , need to change at Glasgow Central.

Roads might be pretty busy around Ayr as there is a Race meeting on the same day.

Its about a 25 min walk to the stadium from train station.

HibbyKeith
27-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Best bet would be to travel with a branch bus, there are a few that run regular and you'll get to and from ayr for about £10 per person. less hassle with the supporter bus IMO. take a look on the travel forum. :thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
27-02-2012, 06:53 PM
If your train from Glasgow happens to stop at Newton-on-Ayr station then that's only a 10 minute walk or so from the ground rather than going in to the main station.

Nakedmanoncrack
27-02-2012, 07:02 PM
If your train from Glasgow happens to stop at Newton-on-Ayr station then that's only a 10 minute walk or so from the ground rather than going in to the main station.

:agree:

No point going to Ayr station, get off at Newton-on-Ayr, think its every 2nd one that stops there.

DH1875
27-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Its about a 25 min walk to the stadium from train station.

You don't want to be doing that :no way:. Your wanting the half past the hour train for Newton on Ayr. The on the hour train doesn't stop there.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Just noticed in the OP that there are 4 of you travelling, it'll be cheaper to get a friends ticket from Edinburgh to Glasgow, then get 4 return tickets to Ayr (if you are indulging in pre match pints) or the other station mentioned in this thread if you are heading straight to the game.

Macaroon
27-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Just noticed in the OP that there are 4 of you travelling, it'll be cheaper to get a friends ticket from Edinburgh to Glasgow, then get 4 return tickets to Ayr (if you are indulging in pre match pints) or the other station mentioned in this thread if you are heading straight to the game.

Sounds good mate. Cheers everyone :thumbsup:

GGTTH

kaimendhibs
27-02-2012, 09:27 PM
If anyone is going with kids (15 and under) each adult can have 2 kids travel free off peak (all day on a saturday):pfgwa

Hermit Crab
27-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Its £22.50 for a return train ticket, you change trains in Glasgow and get the train to Ayr from Glasgow Central.

Get the fast service to central it only takes an hour, they leave Waverley about 4 minutes to the hour removing the need to traipse for queen street to central for the ayr train.

mutley
28-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I know the roads will be a nightmare, and parking not easy, but I'm driving through I think. Anyone know how many tickets sold so far ( I know it's only season ticket holders just now, and members from Wednesday)

Sounds like it'll be a sell out from our side

Green-Hibee-7
05-03-2012, 11:40 PM
What time are yous all going on the train for?

Considering on scotlrail app, it seems to say just to Ayr station and not Newton on Ayr.

Going by if it's a 25 min walk? But will probably stop for a few pre match refreshments...

Zondervan
06-03-2012, 09:11 AM
I know the roads will be a nightmare, and parking not easy, but I'm driving through I think. Anyone know how many tickets sold so far ( I know it's only season ticket holders just now, and members from Wednesday)

Sounds like it'll be a sell out from our side

I was down at the ticket office late afternoon yesterday. We got 3000 tickets, have already sold 2400. If the 3000 sell out, then Ayr can give us another 200.

bingo70
06-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Think the newton on ayr stop has only got one pub between it and the ground so we're going to ayr and taking in a pub crawl I think

Hibby_Paul
06-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Think the newton on ayr stop has only got one pub between it and the ground so we're going to ayr and taking in a pub crawl I think

You on train or bus beano?

bingo70
06-03-2012, 10:05 AM
You on train or bus beano?

Getting train mate

.Sean.
06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
I was down at the ticket office late afternoon yesterday. We got 3000 tickets, have already sold 2400. If the 3000 sell out, then Ayr can give us another 200.

Where have the 3000 came from mate? Thought it wasa a couple hundred seats in the stand and 2000 behind the goals?

19AYR10
06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/marchmadness

Half Price train tickets.

Get wired in and save cash on Saturday.

Edin - Glasgow - save £6.05
Glas - Ayr - save £5

Day trip for £11.05

Spread the word.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-03-2012, 03:57 PM

Glas - Ayr - save £5

Day trip for £11.05

Spread the word.

Well spotted mate! nice one!

Hermit Crab
06-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Where have the 3000 came from mate? Thought it wasa a couple hundred seats in the stand and 2000 behind the goals?

270 seated tickets and the rest of the allocation is made up of terrace tickets, he's right in saying we got around 3000 tickets for the game. :aok:

Malonga's Cat
07-03-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm driving through. Never been before, anyone know what it's like for parking? Hopefully the traffic isn't too bad. Can't wait for this game!

Golden Bear
07-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm driving through. Never been before, anyone know what it's like for parking? Hopefully the traffic isn't too bad. Can't wait for this game!

There is some information on this link.

http://www.scottishgrounds.co.uk/ayr_united.htm

Malonga's Cat
07-03-2012, 05:25 PM
There is some information on this link.

http://www.scottishgrounds.co.uk/ayr_united.htm

Cheers for that. :aok:

Baldy Foghorn
07-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Not sure how busy Ayr will be next week, as Ayr races in also on, but hopefully you get a spot near the ground

PatHead
07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Son has decided he will drive through. Damn means I'll have to drink then.

monktonharp
07-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Son has decided he will drive through. Damn means I'll have to drink then. I have the same problem mate,travelling on a supporters bus, booked in early tae a wee club. bugger.:wink:

19AYR10
07-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Not sure how busy Ayr will be next week, as Ayr races in also on, but hopefully you get a spot near the ground

If you've got Sat Nav, set up Viewfield Court (KA8 8JU), plenty spaces, 5 minute walk to ground.

or

George Square (KA8 0AG). Some parking spaces, 100 yards from The Horseshoe and 6-7 minute walk to Somerset Park. Both are well away from any racing traffic.

Emerald
08-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Anyone know where the best place to park for the Ayr game is? Where is everyone else planning to park?

Golden Bear
08-03-2012, 01:18 PM
If you've got Sat Nav, set up Viewfield Court (KA8 8JU), plenty spaces, 5 minute walk to ground.

or

George Square (KA8 0AG). Some parking spaces, 100 yards from The Horseshoe and 6-7 minute walk to Somerset Park. Both are well away from any racing traffic.

:aok:

H113EE5
08-03-2012, 08:03 PM

or

Thank you...... but wait. This isn't some private land and you work for one of these parking/clamping companies :wink:

19AYR10
08-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Thank you...... but wait. This isn't some private land and you work for one of these parking/clamping companies :wink:

No chance mate. All public parking.

Only here to help. I know what it's like going to a strange place, canny beat local knowledge.

davhibee
08-03-2012, 08:36 PM
What time are yous all going on the train for?

Considering on scotlrail app, it seems to say just to Ayr station and not Newton on Ayr.

Going by if it's a 25 min walk? But will probably stop for a few pre match refreshments...

As others have said, Newton on Ayr is closest to the ground but the only pubs around there are The Wallace (tiny) and the St. Andrews (Rangers pub).

If as you say you do go to Ayr station and plan to walk round to the ground, the quickest way which Google maps etc will show you is along Craigie Road and you won't pass a pub the whole walk to the ground (goes past college, fire station, park and houses). Your best bet is to walk throught the town centre and out over the river, will pass loads of pubs that way. A taxi from the town centre out to the ground (as its not the simplest walk) would be dirt cheap as well.

Another alternative would be to get off at Prestwick Town station and go to the pubs in Prestwick as this is far better than Ayr now as it is full of neds and a lot of folk from Ayr now go out in Prestwick - good bars and none of the bother you get in Ayr now. Taxi from there would only be £5-10 to Somerset

H113EE5
08-03-2012, 09:16 PM
No chance mate. All public parking.

Only here to help. I know what it's like going to a strange place, canny beat local knowledge.

Thanks 19AYR10... you have been very helpful. :aok: I'd like to think that we will reciprocate when we meet again in the replay/next season in the 1st division/next SC tie (delete as appropriate).

Darth Hibbie
08-03-2012, 09:31 PM

Glas - Ayr - save £5

Day trip for £11.05

Spread the word.

Brilliant thanks for that :thumbsup: