PDA

View Full Version : Davie Provan

franck sauzee
27-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Surprised not to see anyone mention this. Yesterday in the Sunday Sun, there was a little snippets on his page about Hibs. Strangely a day after our best result this season he chose to use a quote from George Best which went along the lines of what am I doing here, stating the same thing went through his mind when he was at the game last week against celtic. He then takes another dig at us saying that Pat and Billy have a big job on there hands to keep us up. Not only that he then rips into Garry's weight. Suppose he has a point with that one! :D Very strange timing though :S

Davie Provan GTF!

GGTTH

James Connolly
27-02-2012, 11:29 AM
The Sunday Sun GTF!

Frazerbob
27-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Haven't read the article and won't since it's in the Sun but could it be that it was written prior to Saturday's results and performance?

allmodcons
27-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Surprised not to see anyone mention this. Yesterday in the Sunday Sun, there was a little snippets on his page about Hibs. Strangely a day after our best result this season he chose to use a quote from George Best which went along the lines of what am I doing here, stating the same thing went through his mind when he was at the game last week against celtic. He then takes another dig at us saying that Pat and Billy have a big job on there hands to keep us up. Not only that he then rips into Garry's weight. Suppose he has a point with that one! :D Very strange timing though :S

Davie Provan GTF!

GGTTH

No disrespect intended, but what do you expect from the Sun (Sunday or any other day).
It's a pile of p**h and Davie Provan is (no doubt) a worthy contributor.

3pm
27-02-2012, 11:50 AM

Davie Provan GTF!

GGTTH

I don't mind Davie Provan.

In respect of what he has said, it's hard to argue with the points about the job Fenlon has on his hands then passing comment on O'Connor's weight - it's a problem for all to see. And I did wonder what I was doing at the game last week so that's fair cop as well.

Too sensitive.

--------
27-02-2012, 11:52 AM
No disrespect intended, but what do you expect from the Sun (Sunday or any other day).

:agree:

Provan is a typical former-OF-player-turned-football-pundit. A never-failing fountain of utter rubbish.

I challenge anyone to recall a single occasion upon which his opinion on any football topic proved to be worth more than a rat's fart.

JimBHibees
27-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Provan is a typical former-OF-player-turned-football-pundit. A never-failing fountain of utter rubbish.

I challenge anyone to recall a single occasion upon which his opinion on any football topic proved to be worth more than a rat's fart.

Yep agree how he continues to make a living from football for stating the bleeding obvious is incredible. Dont think he has ever said anything remotely complimentary about Hibs. Can remember him constantly going on about Brown and Thomson not being able to perform west of Harthill when they were playing in Hibs midfield, only to then completely ignore this when Hibs started dominating games in Glasgow with that particular team.

franck sauzee
27-02-2012, 12:05 PM

None taken. It was lying on the table at work. Only reason that I ever read that rag!

Saorsa
27-02-2012, 12:05 PM
It's a pile of p**h and Davie Provan is (no doubt) a worthy contributor.:agree: Him and that paper would be well suited tae each other.

Wouldnae use it tae wipe http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/smilies%202/darnit.gif off ma shoes.

franck sauzee
27-02-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't mind Davie Provan.

In respect of what he has said, it's hard to argue with the points about the job Fenlon has on his hands then passing comment on O'Connor's weight - it's a problem for all to see. And I did wonder what I was doing at the game last week so that's fair cop as well.

Too sensitive.

I wasn't disagreeing with what he said. More the timing of it! Why write that now? There was a game on Wednesday where there were some positives to draw from despite the result and another game to be played by the time the article would be read. Obviously expected is to get turned over. Just don't see the point of bringing up a game that's now history and a result that although bad won't really have come as a major shock to many people. We were never going to win that game and unlikely to draw either

muzzhfc
27-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Haven't read the article and won't since it's in the Sun but could it be that it was written prior to Saturday's results and performance?

or two weeks ago, with copy and paste jobs from other "sources"

SkintHibby
27-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Good or bad, I'm glad someone is bothering enough about Hibs to write an article about our club.

The last thing the SPL needs just now is for a club the size of Hibs to be lost to Division 1. Thankfully there are people out there who realise this and care enough to contribute.:agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Whilst I'm well aware its not exactly a paragon of virtue, I find it amusing how sensitive people are to The Sun (Liverpool fans excepted). Pick it up read the sport, have a quick look to see whats on the telly then have a quick peek at page 3, job done and nobody has been harmed.

Septimus
27-02-2012, 01:52 PM
As I recall George Best was at Hibs because Tom Hart gave him 1,000 pounds a week to play for us. Some years later I met the same George Best on a beach in Corfu and he seemed to feel that his time there had not been wasted.

CropleyWasGod
27-02-2012, 01:56 PM
As I recall George Best was at Hibs because Tom Hart gave him 1,000 pounds a week to play for us. Some years later I met the same George Best on a beach in Corfu and he seemed to feel that his time there had not been wasted.

:agree: IIRC Calum was conceived in Edinburgh. Tom Hart:- "well, he must have got home early one night." :greengrin

allmodcons
27-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Whilst I'm well aware its not exactly a paragon of virtue, I find it amusing how sensitive people are to The Sun (Liverpool fans excepted). Pick it up read the sport, have a quick look to see whats on the telly then have a quick peek at page 3, job done and nobody has been harmed.

I'm not at all 'sensitive' about the Sun, just know it's a pile of p*sh.

PISTOL1875
27-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Don't forget Dear Deidrie....

Saorsa
27-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Whilst I'm well aware its not exactly a paragon of virtue, I find it amusing how sensitive people are to The Sun (Liverpool fans excepted). Pick it up read the sport, have a quick look to see whats on the telly then have a quick peek at page 3, job done and nobody has been harmed.What I find odd is that people buy it/read it and then complain about what is in it when they probably ken the sort of crap that will be in it. Dinnae buy it is the answer, personally I wouldnae take it if it was free or waste a second of my life on it.

The Sea-gull
27-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Haven't read the article but it doesn't sound like he was saying anything that wasn't true or that he was having too much of a dig.

Some media outlets, BBC Radio Scotland and some of their "broadcasters" for example, have appeared to be taking great pleasure in sticking the knife into all things Hibs this season even though we have been poor and it could be argued "what do we expect them to do" but it doesn't sound like this particular article is unnecessarily scathing.

R'Albin
27-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Don't forget Dear Deidrie....

Some of the things in it are absolutely hilarious :hilarious

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-02-2012, 03:21 PM
In the words of Norman Stanley Fletcher....get me the Sun, oh, and something to read as well.
The only time that Provan comes anywhere near being relevant is when someone does a list of dreadfull footie hair cuts.

His self- important analytical football brilliance is only eclipsed by Alan MacInally IMO, and maybe Charlie Prickolas, if he is having a good day.

SkintHibby
27-02-2012, 03:28 PM
What I find odd is that people buy it/read it and then complain about what is in it when they probably ken the sort of crap that will be in it. Dinnae buy it is the answer, personally I wouldnae take it if it was free or waste a second of my life on it.

The Metro is 100 times the newspaper The Sun will ever be and that's free! - That says it all!!!

PISTOL1875
27-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Some of the things in it are absolutely hilarious :hilarious

The stories are funny yeh.. I don't even bother to read the reply... :greengrin:greengrin

S.sct
27-02-2012, 03:35 PM

Davie Provan GTF!

GGTTH

Had that very thought on a number of occasions recently, however.......he can get tae. Comment on what you see, nobody is remotely interested in what you think:giruy:.

--------
27-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Had that very thought on a number of occasions recently, however.......he can get tae. Comment on what you see, nobody is remotely interested in what you think:giruy:.

He THINKS? What with?

brog
27-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Davie Provan GTF!

Agreed, he's a clown. Time & again he says something positive about a player in 1st few minutes & you know that guy is going to be MOTM regardless of how poorly he plays in next 80 mins. When Michael Stewart & Brian Kerr were playing for U-21's he alternated his MOTM awards for them only because they were playing at the time for Premiership clubs. In a land of awful commentators he's keek!

snooky
27-02-2012, 04:35 PM

Davie Provan GTF!

GGTTH

I'd listen to any punter in the world but, as they say in Scottish legal circles, Not Provan.
What a Mrs Craddock.

Carheenlea
27-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Davie Provan has written something that has riled fans and subsequently has them talking all about The Sun and Provan himself. As far as the Sun will be concerned, it is a job well done.

Best ignored really.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Davie Provan GTF!

GGTTH

Franck, is that really you ;)

Cant believe you've stooped to read the Sunday Sun.

AlbertK86
27-02-2012, 04:49 PM

Correct along with Andy Walker, Derek Johnstone and worst of all by a country mile Craig Burley

Viva_Palmeiras
27-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Journalist - not Provan or should that be not proven

London Hibs FC
27-02-2012, 06:03 PM
:agree: IIRC Calum was conceived in Edinburgh. Tom Hart:- "well, he must have got home early one night." :greengrin

Is that story true??

I know Calum well and have wound him up for years about being conceived in Edinburgh but based this on nothing but else but estimated timings!!

CropleyWasGod
27-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Is that story true??

I know Calum well and have wound him up for years about being conceived in Edinburgh but based this on nothing but else but estimated timings!!

Well, I can't claim to be 100% correct.... I wisny there :0)

But I do remember Angie announcing her pregnancy when she was here, or maybe just after they left. The Tom Hart quote is more or less as he said it.

ps do you play for the London Hibs indoor (5 a side?) team?

London Hibs FC
27-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Well, I can't claim to be 100% correct.... I wisny there :0)

But I do remember Angie announcing her pregnancy when she was here, or maybe just after they left. The Tom Hart quote is more or less as he said it.

ps do you play for the London Hibs indoor (5 a side?) team?

Good Lad, thanks for that..... much appreciated!!

I don't play any more but a few of the current London Hibs Squad (11 a side) do post on here, the team in my Avatar was the Double Double Winning side of 2007 :greengrin

Not doing so well this year unfortunately:
http://football.mitoo.co.uk/LeagueTab.cfm?TblName=Matches&DivisionID=4574&LeagueCode=APFS2008

Always looking for new recruits so feel free to PM me.

GGTTLH!

CropleyWasGod
27-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Good Lad, thanks for that..... much appreciated!!

I don't play any more but a few of the current London Hibs Squad (11 a side) do post on here, the team in my Avatar was the Double Double Winning side of 2007 :greengrin

Not doing so well this year unfortunately:
http://football.mitoo.co.uk/LeagueTab.cfm?TblName=Matches&DivisionID=4574&LeagueCode=APFS2008

Always looking for new recruits so feel free to PM me.

GGTTLH!

I wish!

My son plays for the team... pretty sure it's 5's he plays. With a younger Cropley?

London Hibs FC
27-02-2012, 07:09 PM
I wish!

My son plays for the team... pretty sure it's 5's he plays. With a younger Cropley?

During my time, we used to enter the odd 5 a side tournament now and again as it was generally our only way of getting a game against London Hearts who were/are totally incapable of finding eleven supporters to make up a proper team.

I'll PM you.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-02-2012, 07:53 PM
During my time, we used to enter the odd 5 a side tournament now and again as it was generally our only way of getting a game against London Hearts who were/are totally incapable of finding eleven supporters to make up a proper team.

I'll PM you.

IIRC there was a time around 96-98 (when Grant was London Hibs Apfskil representative) that the yams had to pull out at the last minute as they couldn't fields team for the fives!

John_the_angus_hibby
27-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Read it. Dismissed it. Guy is a tool.

Sent from another universe!

hfc rd
27-02-2012, 08:42 PM
The guy is a pure utter fud. Just an old firm bum licker! One of the worst journalists out there.

London Hibs FC
27-02-2012, 08:56 PM
IIRC there was a time around 96-98 (when Grant was London Hibs Apfskil representative) that the yams had to pull out at the last minute as they couldn't fields team for the fives!

:top marksNot the first nor the last time ......... when they did manage muster some form of a rabble, London Hibs used to regularly just stop at seven nil then just pass the ball around and through them (true story!)

Viva_Palmeiras
27-02-2012, 09:41 PM
:top marksNot the first nor the last time ......... when they did manage muster some form of a rabble, London Hibs used to regularly just stop at seven nil then just pass the ball around and through them (true story!)

Tremendous !

madabouthibs
27-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Davie who? :giruy:

monktonharp
27-02-2012, 10:19 PM

I challenge anyone to recall a single occasion upon which his opinion on any football topic proved to be worth more than a rat's fart.that, Doddie, sums him up perfectly imho. dont ever expect him to say anything other than bad things about Hibernian, and the fact that he actually gets a wage from a so called newspaper, puts him into the pigeon hole that he belongs in. have not read many of the posts on this issue but dont feel the urge to either. end off.