PDA

View Full Version : Derek Riordan

KeithTheHibby
26-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Has he found a club yet?

Before anyone asks no I am not suggesting he return to ER:greengrin

DanHFC1875
26-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I have no idea mate... don't think he has, is a strange one, maybe he's retired lol

hibee
26-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Sure I read somewhere there would be a big tax bill waiting for him if he signs for another British club before a certain date so he's maybe waiting until that date has passed to save himself some cash.

Gettin' Auld
26-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Sure I read somewhere there would be a big tax bill waiting for him if he signs for another British club before a certain date so he's maybe waiting until that date has passed to save himself some cash.
He could always join rangers - I hear they've got experience of dealing with the tax people

:tee hee:

hibee
26-02-2012, 05:22 PM
He could always join rangers - I hear they've got experience of dealing with the tax people

I had exactly the same thought when I was typing that reply!

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2012, 05:25 PM

Aye, but they wouldn't pay his National Insurance :greengrin

The Modfather
26-02-2012, 05:57 PM
What a waste of a career. 28 or 29 and all he has to show from his career is 100 goals for us in the SPL. Scandalous waste of talent, sadly only himself to blame!

Hibernia Na Eir
26-02-2012, 06:03 PM
he had a good career outside football.....done well at banning himself from nightclubs n pubs. what a talent!

AK86
26-02-2012, 06:07 PM
he had a good career outside football.....done well at banning himself from nightclubs n pubs. what a talent!

great post:rolleyes:
do you do stand up?

Vini1875
26-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Absolute waste, considering what he might have done with his football career. Hard to imagine that he is going to be anything other than past it other than in the 1st div.

Hibernia Na Eir
26-02-2012, 06:49 PM
great post:rolleyes:
do you do stand up?

yeah, and also sit down ;)

IWasThere2016
26-02-2012, 06:54 PM
What a waste of a career. 28 or 29 and all he has to show from his career is 100 goals for us in the SPL. Scandalous waste of talent, sadly only himself to blame!

Or badly advised perhaps :wink:

The Modfather
26-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Or badly advised perhaps :winkh

Who advised him not to look after his body or act like a professional athlete? ;)

Winston Ingram
26-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Has he found a club yet?

Before anyone asks no I am not suggesting he return to ER:greengrin

Eye, Lava & Ignite

frazeHFC
26-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Who advised him not to look after his body or act like a professional athlete? ;)

silverhibee :agree:

Pretty Boy
26-02-2012, 08:32 PM
If Derek still has a hunger for the game and is willing to get himself fit then he will still do a job for somebody at SPL level, no problems.

Agree with others seems a waste of such a natural talent. Hindsights a wonderful thing but the move to Celtic was so spectacularly wrong.

silverhibee
26-02-2012, 08:37 PM
If Derek still has a hunger for the game and is willing to get himself fit then he will still do a job for somebody at SPL level, no problems.

Agree with others seems a waste of such a natural talent. Hindsights a wonderful thing but the move to Celtic was so spectacularly wrong.

Been training with killie for a while so i am sure he is fit. :aok:

Pretty Boy
26-02-2012, 08:39 PM

Good stuff.

The thought of him playing against us does scare me a little bit!

greenlex
26-02-2012, 08:39 PM
I hope he doesn't criticise the playing surface. :greengrin

Rossco1875
26-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I know his time may have come and gone at hibernian but a deal to end of the season I think could benefit booth partys we all know he can score goals out of no where and the exposure would help in helping him to find a new club as he stated his future is away from the SPL!

scott7_0(Prague)
26-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I know his time may have come and gone at hibernian but a deal to end of the season I think could benefit booth partys we all know he can score goals out of no where and the exposure would help in helping him to find a new club as he stated his future is away from the SPL!

Nah, no thanks. For me that chapter is over and should not be opened again.

The original Derek was able to score, the latter well, he definitely didn't put too many shifts in that shop window.

monktonharp
27-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Absolute waste, considering what he might have done with his football career. Hard to imagine that he is going to be anything other than past it other than in the 1st div.call it as you see it Vinnie, but I will remember him as a player that scored some of the best goals that I/we have seen for Hibernian, in the last 10 years at least.his last term at ER just happened to coincide with a period when Hibs employed some of the sheitiest players that i've ever seen in green.added to that, the manager(s) decided that his best role was to be a left winger,or midfielder which he never looked comfartable with, and also that the team played a strange and alien way(in Hibernian terms) of having only 1 man up front at times.

frazeHFC
27-02-2012, 01:25 AM
If you watch videos of his first spell (the 'I'm on my way' videos of Mowbrays first season in particular) you remember just how good Deeks was. One of the best players i have ever got to see play for Hibs, such a hero. :not worth

Dunbar Hibee
27-02-2012, 01:27 AM
yeah, and also sit down ;)

I think you should do that mate. Your patter is ******!

ancient hibee
27-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Riordan is the only Hibs striker of the last 30 years who could be spoken of in the same breath as our geatest strikers.

The Modfather
27-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Riordan is the only Hibs striker of the last 30 years who could be spoken of in the same breath as our geatest strikers.

Maybe if he fulfilled his potential then I'd agree, but not for me. He certainly had the natural ability to go as far as he wanted. Sadly he is 28 or 29 and without a club after a failed (be it performance or cultural reasons) stint in China. Doesn't put him up there with our greatest strikers, well not for me anyway. He could have been, but decided the bevvy, Mcdonalds and a move along the M8 was all he wanted from his career.

Fletcher is currently earning rave reviews in the Premiership. For me Fletcher is/certainly will go on to be, the the best striker we have had in the last 30 years.

NorthNorfolkHFC
27-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Maybe if he fulfilled his potential then I'd agree, but not for me. He certainly had the natural ability to go as far as he wanted. Sadly he is 28 or 29 and without a club after a failed (be it performance or cultural reasons) stint in China. Doesn't put him up there with our greatest strikers, well not for me anyway. He could have been, but decided the bevvy, Mcdonalds and a move along the M8 was all he wanted from his career.

Fletcher is currently earning rave reviews in the Premiership. For me Fletcher is/certainly will go on to be, the the best striker we have had in the last 30 years.

Agreed, i actually think if they both played around 19/20/21 years old you could say Riordan had bags more potential. its a shame how things worked out. i actually feel a bit annoyed as he could of been a superstar.

Big Frank
27-02-2012, 09:21 PM
He should come home.

Pay as you play.

Paddy wont take any ****, and will get the best out of deek.

:pfgwa

Hibernia Na Eir
27-02-2012, 09:40 PM
I think you should do that mate. Your patter is ******!

call it what you like pal, but im not wrong in what i said earlier.

silverhibee
27-02-2012, 11:12 PM

Think you will find it was the unight scheme that banned him from nightclubs, not himself.

Scouse Hibee
27-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Can Deeks failings (or whatever you want to wrap it up as) take away what he contributed to Hibs?...............................The answer is NO

J-C
28-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Picked up his wee cousin on sunday morning in the cab, she said she hadn't heard from him for a bit, hated China and was living on Pot Noodles when over there, seemingly came back about a stone under weight.

Hibernia Na Eir
28-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Think you will find it was the unight scheme that banned him from nightclubs, not himself.

believe it or not, there's a hint of sarcasm in my post.....

scott7_0(Prague)
28-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Picked up his wee cousin on sunday morning in the cab, she said she hadn't heard from him for a bit, hated China and was living on Pot Noodles when over there, seemingly came back about a stone under weight.

That sums Deek up to a tee.

silverhibee
28-02-2012, 10:59 AM
That sums Deek up to a tee.

I think i will wait to see what Deek has to say about his time in China rather than hear it from someone else. :aok:

Makaveli
28-02-2012, 11:00 AM

It doesn't really matter what Fletcher goes on to be, or even the player he is now. For me "the best striker we have had" is about what they did at Hibs.

IMO Riordan was better for Hibs than Fletcher by a distance. In 6 seasons with competition from GOC, Fletch etc, Riordan was only outscored once - by Stokes. Fletch never gave us more than 13 league goals.

Pretty Boy
28-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Can we not send Garry O'Connor to China for a couple of months then?

The Modfather
28-02-2012, 12:29 PM
It doesn't really matter what Fletcher goes on to be, or even the player he is now. For me "the best striker we have had" is about what they did at Hibs.

IMO Riordan was better for Hibs than Fletcher by a distance. In 6 seasons with competition from GOC, Fletch etc, Riordan was only outscored once - by Stokes. Fletch never gave us more than 13 league goals.

I get what you are saying, but, for me, his contribution to Hibs over Fletchers, is that one never fulfilled their potential to play at a higher level than Hibs. The other outgrew us and is making a name for himself in the premiership.

If both had stayed their entire careers at Hibs. I think Fletch would have far outshone Riordan. Which is a sad thought as it has more to do with application, lifestyle, and dare I say it, maturity, than about natural ability. Of which Fletch has plenty of himself.

Niffy
28-02-2012, 12:41 PM

Probably the Chow Mein ones though , otherwise he'd just have been being rude.

Scouse Hibee
28-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I get what you are saying, but, for me, his contribution to Hibs over Fletchers, is that one never fulfilled their potential to play at a higher level than Hibs. The other outgrew us and is making a name for himself in the premiership.

If both had stayed their entire careers at Hibs. I think Fletch would have far outshone Riordan. Which is a sad thought as it has more to do with application, lifestyle, and dare I say it, maturity, than about natural ability. Of which Fletch has plenty of himself.

I disagree, I think the moves that Fletcher has made have contributed hugely to his success as a player, I'm not sure we would have seen the same development with Hibs in the SPL.

HibbyRod
28-02-2012, 12:49 PM

:hilarious

Well spotted PB! :aok:

easty
28-02-2012, 12:49 PM
was living on Pot Noodles when over there, seemingly came back about a stone under weight.

I can see it catching on....we'll no doubt have Kerry Katona on the front of The Sun on Sunday (admit it, you all read it) banging on about how she lost half her body weight on the Pot Noodle diet.

silverhibee
28-02-2012, 01:53 PM

Might take more than a few months though. :greengrin :cb

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Derek Riordan first time round was a bloody superstar for us.

100% of us were gutted he left, he scored goals for fun. Left foot right foot, you just knew he'd create or score for us most weeks. I remember that time with so much pleasure.

The 2nd spell while not quite as good, he still scored goals and created, more than anyone else bar one season with Stokes.

He was never the grafter some folk wanted him to be, if he had that in his locker he'd have been playing for Barca or Madrid. We wanted him to do things he's just not very good at, and moaned because he didn't.

Yet when he scored, that suddenly became not enough. And i'd agree to a certain extent, but when you are replacing him with players who are not so good at the scoring game, but can maybe tackle back a bit, i do feel you then end up with a team of journeymen, and we did.

Riordan has always been a favorite of mine over his time is over at easter road and i personally look back at his 2 stints with us with great fondness. I like players who can do special things, i like quality over blandness, he had quality.

I wish him well on the future, whatever it may bring.:aok:

silverhibee
28-02-2012, 03:01 PM
I think the club he signed for in China are now defunct, no longer a football club.

Here is a link, but a bit hard to understand even when translated in to English.

http://bbs.hsw.cn/read-htm-tid-3479399.html

Nazz
28-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I think the club he signed for in China are now defunct, no longer a football club.

Here is a link, but a bit hard to understand even when translated in to English.

http://bbs.hsw.cn/read-htm-tid-3479399.html

They're not defunct as such but have moved to another city in the south-west. Now known as Guizhou Renhe F.C.

http://wildeastfootball.net/2011/12/only-in-the-csl-shaanxi-chanba-moving-to-guizhou-in-2012/

ancient hibee
28-02-2012, 05:06 PM

What Fletcher does at other clubs has absolutely no bearing on his status as a striker for us and the time he was with us would not get him into the top 30 strikers we have had.

seven nowt
28-02-2012, 05:39 PM

He was banned because of his own actions. The Unight scheme only got the final say. I like Deek but it wouldn't be as special if it's his third spell with the club. Maybe if he was outshining the rest of players at the club and wanted to make a bigger name for himself. But the club he loves is Hibs and he, in my view, should have stuck with us until better times come again. He left to a club callend Chaanxi-Chanba or from a ten times bigger club that he supports to a place that he may have been unsettled at.

This was for the increase of wages, but that move has so far kicked him in the teeth because now he's unemployed, hanging around at Kilmarnocks training facilities listening to unreliable transfer rumours.

shagpile
28-02-2012, 06:36 PM

Fletcher played quite a number of times in midfield in order to accomodate Garry & Derek, so the comparison is a bit stilted.

BSEJVT
28-02-2012, 06:49 PM

100% of us were gutted he left, he scored goals for fun. Left foot right foot, you just knew he'd create or score for us most weeks. I remember that time with so much pleasure.

The 2nd spell while not quite as good, he still scored goals and created, more than anyone else bar one season with Stokes.

He was never the grafter some folk wanted him to be, if he had that in his locker he'd have been playing for Barca or Madrid. We wanted him to do things he's just not very good at, and moaned because he didn't.

Yet when he scored, that suddenly became not enough. And i'd agree to a certain extent, but when you are replacing him with players who are not so good at the scoring game, but can maybe tackle back a bit, i do feel you then end up with a team of journeymen, and we did.

Riordan has always been a favorite of mine over his time is over at easter road and i personally look back at his 2 stints with us with great fondness. I like players who can do special things, i like quality over blandness, he had quality.

:top marks

silverhibee
28-02-2012, 07:06 PM
He was banned because of his own actions. The Unight scheme only got the final say.

The Unight Scheme is a sham, they seem to pick and choose who they put on their list.

Example 1.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/east-central/299282-property-develop-described-how-he-was-hit-in-the-face-with-a-glass-by-rugby-player-max-evans/

Max Evans is allowed to enter every nightclub in Edinburgh apart from one, Lulu's.

Example 2.http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/assault_charge_bouncer_was_a_policeman_1_1188821

Another one who was never put on the Unight Scheme. :rolleyes:

Example 3.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7543790.stm

The best of them all, and have a guess what, not on the Unight Scheme.

Looks like Johnston and Pickavance look after there own when it come's to picking who goes on the Unight Scheme, it should be the same rule for everyone dont you think since they have the final say, and not forgetting the two yam players caught in a cubicle(allegedly) with a white powder who never found there selfs on the US.

As i said, what a sham. :aok:

AustinHibee
28-02-2012, 07:12 PM

Hear Hear.

HibeeSince85
28-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Deek's a legend, in my time watching Hibs we've not had many. I really want him to get a move down to the championship and shine as a return to Hibs would probably turn sour and you know seeing him in another SPL sides strip would'nt be right, plus you can guarantee he'd score everytime he played us.

Tommy Hibs
28-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Deek's a legend, in my time watching Hibs we've not had many. I really want him to get a move down to the championship and shine as a return to Hibs would probably turn sour and you know seeing him in another SPL sides strip would'nt be right, plus you can guarantee he'd score everytime he played us.

Maybe a regular starting place in the Championship is beyond him and he should be looking further down the Leagues.

HibeeSince85
28-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Maybe a regular starting place in the Championship is beyond him and he should be looking further down the Leagues.

He could get a game in that league IMO, unfortunately it's no my opinion that counts.

DC_Hibs
28-02-2012, 08:07 PM
He could get a game in that league IMO, unfortunately it's no my opinion that counts.

Indeed its the managers of the championship clubs none of whom appear interested in him...although Holloway at least gave him a trial before deciding this.

I'd have been happy to see him go to the US or Oz as he'd benefit from a good lifestyle there and the football might suit him more.

We've had the best of Riordan at least and he has achieved a lot albeit it could and should have been a lot more. Who knows what might have happened if he'd went down south (or abroad) instead of along the M8.

Jonnyboy
28-02-2012, 08:11 PM
It's a shame these kind of threads give folk the opportunity to have a pop at Deek. He's not perfect, none of us are but he's one of the best strikers I've seen in a Hibs jersey over the six decades I've watched them.

easty
28-02-2012, 08:28 PM

He absolutley could play in the Championship. Jason Scotland, Steven Dobbie, Ross McCormack have all played there and scored goals and none of those players have as much natural talent as Deek (in my opinion), by making a few good choices regarding his future he'd score for fun down there.

Saorsa
28-02-2012, 08:34 PM
It's a shame these kind of threads give folk the opportunity to have a pop at Deek. He's not perfect, none of us are but he's one of the best strikers I've seen in a Hibs jersey over the six decades I've watched them.:agree:

Maybe he took a dump in their cornflakes or something? :dunno:

HibeeSince85
28-02-2012, 08:35 PM
He absolutley could play in the Championship. Jason Scotland, Steven Dobbie, Ross McCormack have all played there and scored goals and none of those players have as much natural talent as Deek (in my opinion), by making a few good choices regarding his future he'd score for fun down there.

That's exactly what I think mate, it has to be his reputation which is unwarranted that's stopping him getting a move there, your Bristol City's etc would be a good move for him.

HibeeSince85
28-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Indeed its the managers of the championship clubs none of whom appear interested in him...although Holloway at least gave him a trial before deciding this.

I'd have been happy to see him go to the US or Oz as he'd benefit from a good lifestyle there and the football might suit him more.

We've had the best of Riordan at least and he has achieved a lot albeit it could and should have been a lot more. Who knows what might have happened if he'd went down south (or abroad) instead of along the M8.

The leagues might suit him but I just can't see him moving that far abroad, hope he gets something though.

The Modfather
28-02-2012, 09:25 PM
It's a shame these kind of threads give folk the opportunity to have a pop at Deek. He's not perfect, none of us are but he's one of the best strikers I've seen in a Hibs jersey over the six decades I've watched them.

Who's "had a pop" in this thread? Can't say I've seen any of those posts. Everyone, to a man, has acknowledged the natural talent he has/had, and a few (such as myself) commented on their disappointment at such a talent being squandered.

What I'll remember from Deeks career is, the outrageous talent and goals I had the pleasure to watch, and the immense disappointment he didn't achieve a fraction of the career someone like Darren Fletcher (yes, I mean the Man U one) has, simply down to his attitude, lifestyle, maturity etc.

Jonnyboy
28-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Who's "had a pop" in this thread? Can't say I've seen any of those posts. Everyone, to a man, has acknowledged the natural talent he has/had, and a few (such as myself) commented on their disappointment at such a talent being squandered.

What I'll remember from Deeks career is, the outrageous talent and goals I had the pleasure to watch, and the immense disappointment he didn't achieve a fraction of the career someone like Darren Fletcher (yes, I mean the Man U one) has, simply down to his attitude, lifestyle, maturity etc.

I guess I meant discussing his off field behaviour rather than what he delighted us with on the field

The Modfather
28-02-2012, 09:37 PM
I guess I meant discussing his off field behaviour rather than what he delighted us with on the field

Aren't they both linked though? His natural ability was squandered because of his off field lifestyle?

We can both agree about the delight he did bring us. I just feel the other side of the coin is that it is criminal to have that kind of natural ability and to waste it.

Jonnyboy
28-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Aren't they both linked though? His natural ability was squandered because of his off field lifestyle?

We can both agree about the delight he did bring us. I just feel the other side of the coin is that it is criminal to have that kind of natural ability and to waste it.

Fair comments :aok:

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Garry maybe heading somewhere else where a restricted diet is all that is on offer....

Dashing Bob S
28-02-2012, 11:27 PM

I'm old school, I like to see a talent go to waste in a sea of alcohol, drugs, gambling slips, loose women, bad tailoring and unwise off-field investments. I don't trust the modern superstar with his golf, roastings, agents and PR people one jot.

Makaveli
28-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Fletcher played quite a number of times in midfield in order to accomodate Garry & Derek, so the comparison is a bit stilted.

Fletcher wasn't really a regular in any position before O'Connor left. What % of his appearances were from midfield, maybe 10 max?

Contrast that with Riordan who was at LM almost as often as he was upfront and is still our most prolific scorer in a generation.

Forza Fred
29-02-2012, 08:53 AM
The leagues might suit him but I just can't see him moving that far abroad, hope he gets something though.

I think Deeks would love it out here in OZ.

No language problems, no food issues, and generaly a relaxed lifestyle, together with a failry decent league, which includes Liam Miller. .

No way he could command a fortune, but Grant Brebner has been here for years and enjoyed it so much he is now an Australian citizen.

And its only ONE day away from Edinburgh.

magnificent_seven
29-02-2012, 08:59 AM
I think Deeks would love it out here in OZ.

No language problems, no food issues, and generaly a relaxed lifestyle, together with a failry decent league, which includes Liam Miller. .

No way he could command a fortune, but Grant Brebner has been here for years and enjoyed it so much he is now an Australian citizen.

And its only ONE day away from Edinburgh.

Sydney FC could do with Riordan up front. They are hopeless! I reckon he would score a barrell load in the A League.