PDA

View Full Version : Giggs 900 appearances is incredible.

Hibbyradge
26-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Most fans haven't seen their team play 900 times!

And he's still playing and performing at the very highest level.

Praiseworthy indeed.

God Petrie
26-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Poor man's maldini - 900 appearances and 5 euro cups

Hibbyradge
26-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Oh well, Id rather you hadn't hijacked the thread, but since you're so churlish, it's a shame Maldini was found out in the end.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/25/serieafootball-acmilan?cat=football&type=article

SquashedFrogg
26-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Maldini - 902 appearances and only 7 titles :giruy:

nonshinyfinish
26-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Oh well, Id rather you hadn't hijacked the thread, but since you're so churlish, it's a shame Maldini was found out in the end.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/25/serieafootball-acmilan?cat=football&type=article

That's not being found out, that's some fans being dicks.

Both great players, I don't see the need for the mud-slinging in either direction.

frazeHFC
26-02-2012, 02:45 PM

Yeah but on the pitch Maldini was clearly a class player, that is just some fans expressing a different opinion of him. Giggs isn't exactly a saint off the pitch but talking of football they are both legends in their respective positions.

Hibercelona
26-02-2012, 02:53 PM

:confused:

All this article points out is the element of dickyness in the Milan support.

Dashing Bob S
26-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Nonsense. What about Pele, over 1000 professional GOALS.

A bunch of talentless softies nowadays.

frazeHFC
26-02-2012, 03:06 PM

Wow i had never actually looked as his goal record until now. Wow sums it up!

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2012, 03:10 PM
One of the all time greats. 900 appearances and twelve league titles! Many players don't last for twelve seasons at the highest level. Pops up with a 92nd minute winner today to keep United in touch with City.

Hibernia Na Eir
26-02-2012, 03:14 PM
was chuffed when he scored that goal :)

Saorsa
26-02-2012, 03:16 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/smilies%202/wow2.gif
Wow i had never actually looked as his goal record until now. Wow sums it up!http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/smilies%202/smiley-vault-signs-125.gif

Dr Jimmy
26-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Sorry, but absolutely no respect for this man.....his brother's wife FFS...!

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Sorry, but absolutely no respect for this man.....his brother's wife FFS...!

Aye, true. But as a footballer he has been fantastic.

carnoustiehibee
26-02-2012, 03:21 PM

I was at that game! Thought he got a good reception at the end.

Hibrandenburg
26-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Aye, true. But as a footballer he has been fantastic.

Aye, Hitler did build great Autobahns!

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Aye, Hitler did build great Autobahns!

I wouldn't compare his conduct with Hitler's :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
26-02-2012, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't compare his conduct with Hitler's :greengrin

C'mon, gimme just a little nibble ;-)

Sir David Gray
26-02-2012, 03:43 PM
I think there has to be a distinction made between Giggs the footballer and Giggs the man.

As a man, Ryan Giggs has badly let himself down with all the stuff that's come out about his private life over the past year or so and he should feel ashamed about having an affair with his brother's wife!

However, as a football player, Ryan Giggs must go down as one of the greatest football players of his generation. To have played at such a consistently high level for 20 years and to have played 900 times for one of the biggest clubs in the world is just a phenomenal achievement.

I see no reason why Ryan Giggs could not continue playing for another couple of years. He's kept up his fitness levels, he's still putting in excellent performances and he's still scoring goals.

H18sry
26-02-2012, 04:22 PM
I think there has to be a distinction made between Giggs the footballer and Giggs the man.

As a man, Ryan Giggs has badly let himself down with all the stuff that's come out about his private life over the past year or so and he should feel ashamed about having an affair with his brother's wife!

However, as a football player, Ryan Giggs must go down as one of the greatest football players of his generation. To have played at such a consistently high level for 20 years and to have played 900 times for one of the biggest clubs in the world is just a phenomenal achievement.

I see no reason why Ryan Giggs could not continue playing for another couple of years. He's kept up his fitness levels, he's still putting in excellent performances and he's still scoring goals.

Giggs is the same either way a lying cheating great footballer :agree:

JE89
26-02-2012, 04:36 PM

Poor mans Maldini? They play different positions.

Maldini was a brilliant defender in a league where pace and tempo are not priority. Giggs was a fantastic winger and now a fantastic central midfielder in a league with undeniable pace and tempo. Giggs' achievement IMO is greater.

greenlex
26-02-2012, 04:49 PM

Maldini was a brilliant defender in a league where pace and tempo are not priority. Giggs was a fantastic winger and now a fantastic central midfielder in a league with undeniable pace and tempo. Giggs' achievement IMO is greater.

Giggs for me.
Maldini never won BBC Sports Personality of the Year.:cb

Kato
26-02-2012, 04:55 PM

That's a bit of a myth. No way he scored 1000 professional goals, good bit of showbiz though.

heidtheba
26-02-2012, 05:08 PM

Off-topic here but I was looking at the ages of the Milan squad and was thinking 'Dear God they are old' - the number of players they have who are mid 30s or over is quite staggering.

Then I remembered that I'm 37. That was a bad moment. I knew it was bad when my mates and I were playing one of the old Championship Managers and we weren't buying players our ages (22 plus) because they weren't going to be sold for as much...

Sorry, that didn't really go anywhere but was kinda cathartic for me anyway!

God Petrie
26-02-2012, 05:25 PM

What a lot of EPL-centric guff. Stop watching Sky.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-02-2012, 05:54 PM

Romario also stakes a claim for 1000 goals.

Re Giggs - so the question is : is he the ultimate uberfan?

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-02-2012, 06:38 PM
That's a bit of a myth. No way he scored 1000 professional goals, good bit of showbiz though.

He'll no be counting his goals from Escape to Victory surely???

Kato
26-02-2012, 06:52 PM

I think so. Plus those on the DVD out-takes, the kick abouts on the local reccy and goals he scored on table football at the amusements.

Dashing Bob S
26-02-2012, 07:06 PM

That was just the headers.

Eyrie
26-02-2012, 07:42 PM

You're too young to have seen either in their prime, but I did and I'd take Maldini ahead of Giggs.

Wembley67
26-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Maldini for me, pretty sure he has achieved more career wise...awesome player.

chinaman
26-02-2012, 08:15 PM

Maldini was a brilliant defender in a league where pace and tempo are not priority. Giggs was a fantastic winger and now a fantastic central midfielder in a league with undeniable pace and tempo. Giggs' achievement IMO is greater. maldini never turned down a game for his country unlike giggs who chose when he wanted to play for wales . maldini was capped 120 odd times for italy he played in 4 world cups a few euro championships 7 european cups winning 5, he would walk into the greatest ever team ever . giggs wouldnt, great winger giggs, vile man. opinions eh !!!!!!!!!!!!

nonshinyfinish
26-02-2012, 08:28 PM

That overhead-kick-with-a-broken-arm is the best goal ever scored, FACT, so he's more than entitled to count that one.

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Giggs scored over 1000 times with other mens wifes.

Hibbyradge
27-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Incredible.

The idea that we shouldn't appreciate someone's professional achievements because they fell in love with someone they shouldn't have is so judgemental it's absurd.

HibeeSince85
27-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Incredible.

The idea that we shouldn't appreciate someone's professional achievements because they fell in love with someone they shouldn't have is so judgemental it's absurd.

Where's that fishing smilie when you need it:greengrin

Hibrandenburg
27-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Incredible.

Fell in love with or just wanted to give them a right good tinkerydoodidums?

Newry Hibs
27-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Whilst I think it is a great achievement - I do wonder whether players of his class will ever regret not trying another club / country to see if they could perform as well. Scholes and Gerard spring to mind.

Edinburgh Green
27-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Incredible.

Fell in love, haha

Scouse Hibee
27-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Whilst I think it is a great achievement - I do wonder whether players of his class will ever regret not trying another club / country to see if they could perform as well. Scholes and Gerard spring to mind.

I can't see any of them regretting it to be honest, they all could have moved if they had wished but chose to stay at one club.

franck sauzee
27-02-2012, 12:36 PM
You're too young to have seen either in their prime, but I did and I'd take Maldini ahead of Giggs.

Both legends, but i agree Maldini edges it for me.

Hibernia&Alba
27-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know the record number of appearances for an outfield player in Britain?

Sir David Gray
27-02-2012, 12:41 PM

I'll give you Gerrard (although winning the Champions League trophy with the team you've always supported can't be bad) but considering what Scholes and Giggs have achieved over the last 20 years, I can't imagine that they'll have too many regrets about staying at Old Trafford for their entire careers.

God Petrie
27-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I'll give you Gerrard (although winning the Champions League trophy with the team you've always supported can't be bad) but considering what Scholes and Giggs have achieved over the last 20 years, I can't imagine that they'll have too many regrets about staying at Old Trafford for their entire careers.

I suspect their rank performances for England and Wales suggest they stayed at Old Trafford for a reason.

JE89
27-02-2012, 12:58 PM
What a lot of EPL-centric guff. Stop watching Sky.

And watch what? For what its worth I watch the Premiership, a few La Liga and the odd Serie A games. I don't think you can argue that the Serie A is faster than the Premiership, surely? And no I am not suggesting that alone makes it a better league I just think it is far easier for a defender to play 900 games in a slower league than a midfielder in a quicker league. Similarly its less of an achievement for a goalkeeper to play 900 games than it is for an outfield player.

Overlooking the patronising tone of your response, I am almost 23, Giggs is 38. Footballers prime - what 28-32? So watching Giggs from 13-17 surely constitutes appreciating him in his prime?
As for Maldini - it can easily be argued a defenders prime is more like 29-33 - once again I think was old enough to appreciate how good he was.

Lots of people are talking about Pele in this thread despite the fact he played in Brazil which is barely televised over here and the fact many are too young to have seen him play. Does this make there points invalid?

Hibernia&Alba
27-02-2012, 01:01 PM
I suspect their rank performances for England and Wales suggest they stayed at Old Trafford for a reason.

Because they got to play for their local club, which just happens to be one of the biggest in the world. Why would you leave Manchester United if you made the grade there?

Dashing Bob S
27-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Because they got to play for their local club, which just happens to be one of the biggest in the world. Why would you leave Manchester United if you made the grade there?

Dunno. Try asking Christiano Ronaldo.

Dashing Bob S
27-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Re the title of the thread: if Hulk were to appear at ER in a green jersey, would that be incredible?

Hibernia&Alba
27-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Dunno. Try asking Christiano Ronaldo.

By going to Real Madrid he also got to play for the club he supported as a boy and another which happens to be one of the biggest in the world. There are only a handful of those type of truly global clubs. If you get your chance at one of those, grasp it with both hands.

heretoday
27-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Ryan Giggs looks like a monkey.

Kato
27-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Re the title of the thread: if Hulk were to appear at ER in a green jersey, would that be incredible?

You never saw Hurtado?

What about Garry O'Hulker?

TonyStokeprano
27-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Is that why messi is still at barca because he plays rubbish for argentina?? or is it because he would have no reason to leave, which is exactly why scholes and giggs remained at man utd, nothing to do with international performances.

renato
27-02-2012, 07:19 PM
This thread is like asking who's fitter, Eva Mendes or Monica Belucci.

Re Maldini's last game - the reason he got some flack Is because he refused to conform to the ultras hard line approach, and stated so publicly. The guy has an opinion but is also one of the classiest, most professional players we've ever seen. Total legend.

I just think it is far easier for a defender to play 900 games in a slower league than a midfielder in a quicker league.

And presumably far harder to win 5 European Cups? Giggs is a fantastic player but he ain't a patch on Maldini. Best left back of my and many other's generation.

Hibbyradge
27-02-2012, 09:12 PM
This thread is like asking who's fitter, Eva Mendes or Monica Belucci.

This thread isn't asking anything.

I merely pointed out how significant Giggs' contribution was and the morality police and anti Man U squad appeared.

Hey ho...

hfc rd
27-02-2012, 09:21 PM
My all time favourite player. What a servant he has been to Manchester United FC. Most successful player to ever grace the premier league.

Scouse Hibee
27-02-2012, 09:32 PM
A tremendous achievement to play that many games considering how many different teams Ferguson has put together in the time Giggs has been at OT. Feguson has never been afraid to empty players even when others thought he had let them go too early, Giggs has survived every cull and certainly showed his worth and the astuteness of Ferguson.

Mon Dieu4
27-02-2012, 09:45 PM
All mentioned are good players and although he didn't play as many games , none of them even Pele are fit to even lace Diego's coke!!

Kato
27-02-2012, 09:45 PM
A tremendous achievement to play that many games considering how many different teams Ferguson has put together in the time Giggs has been at OT. Feguson has never been afraid to empty players even when others thought he had let them go too early, Giggs has survived every cull and certainly showed his worth and the astuteness of Ferguson.

Well put, and agree.

renato
27-02-2012, 10:16 PM
This thread isn't asking anything.

I merely pointed out how significant Giggs' contribution was and the morality police and anti Man U squad appeared.

Hey ho...

I was referring to the responses, not your opening post or intended subject. I actually agree wholeheartedly, it's a phenomenal achievement.

You went on the defensive a bit when Maldini was mentioned however, which is probably as relevant to your thread as Giggs' social life, no?

God Petrie
28-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Beckham left Man Utd and did pretty much nowt and he was actually decent internationally unlike Scholes and Giggs.

I don't see how staying in your comfort zone at a club is an achievement and makes you a "great footballer".

As for Maldini only being successful because the Serie A is slow, I doubt you seen the many games where Maldini had players from all over the world in his pocket, including Ronaldo at his peak when Maldini was about 38.

Scouse Hibee
28-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Beckham left Man Utd and did pretty much nowt and he was actually decent internationally unlike Scholes and Giggs.

I don't see how staying in your comfort zone at a club is an achievement and makes you a "great footballer".

As for Maldini only being successful because the Serie A is slow, I doubt you seen the many games where Maldini had players from all over the world in his pocket, including Ronaldo at his peak when Maldini was about 38.

Just a little matter of what you manage to win at your comfort zone of a club!

Hibbyradge
28-02-2012, 04:33 PM

You don't think that getting picked regularly over 20 years for one of the best teams in the world makes him a great footballer?

Hibernia&Alba
29-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Dryan, do you seriously think playing at a club like Manchester United, particuarly when Alex Ferguson is your manager, represents any kind of comfort zone? Twelve league titles and four champions league finals is a comfort zone now? As for not being successful at international level, both Giggs and Scholes were outstanding for the country, playing in teams far inferior to their club side. Remember Scholes against Scotland in the Euro 2000 qualifier. He gave a virtuoso performance at Hampden. England mangers have been begging him to return ever since he quit.

1Eddie_Turnbull
29-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Incredible.

Couldn't agree more. I wonder if these guys judge all footballers according to this sense of morality? If they do then I can only imagine they've found a few Hibs' players pretty reprehensible over the years . . . . . including some in the current squad!

TonyStokeprano
01-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Did maldini not jsut stay in his comfort zone his whole career ? if your saying giggs and scholes did then surely maldini did aswell. muppet :confused:

JE89
01-03-2012, 01:11 PM

The thread is about Giggs playing 900 games. Someone mentioned Maldini having also done this. Your post here is irrelevant to the debate as of course Maldini was a class act and will have had games where he has outclassed the best players in the world - Ronaldo as you've said. However the thread is about Giggs' achievement of playing so many games and in such a demanding league. I felt his achievement is more significant than Madini due to his position and the playing in a faster league - this doesn't mean Maldini isn't a better player or whatever, but I feel the achevement of 900 games as a midfielder in the English league is greater than a defender in the Italian league.

Also kind of backs up what I feel...

Midfielders cover the greatest distances (approx. 12 km), whereas defenders cover the least distance compared to all other outfield positions. Source : http://www.scientific-football.com/page2.htm