PDA

View Full Version : Next weeks game is our chance to reel another team into it!

col02
26-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Looking at the table a while back and the drop in form they had sustained I reckoned St Mirren would be the team I would target to pull back into any relegation battle. For all the admirable plaudits they gained earlier this season since the turn of the year they have been stuttering to pick up points. A win for the Hibs on Saturday would see them within our reach again in only being 5 points ahead with Hibs still having a game in hand. This is now an opportunity imho for Hibs to bring someone other than Dunfermline who I think play St Mirren the week after us into things. We are not going down this season and with a bit more self belief from the team and fans we could yet climb the league a couple places which come the Summer budget could be the difference between keeping or bringing a couple quality players.

It might not be the top six or European spots we are fighting for in the league but we do have something worth aiming for! Bring on next weekend when Hibs will hopefully give our home support some cheer and likewise the home support will give the team their backing that they are capable of doing. :thumbsup:

Reaper
26-02-2012, 09:00 AM
I agree. St Mirren and I reckon ICT getting dragged back into it and is a real possibility. Killie and Aberdeen/Hearts will be just too far ahead. Be quite important to drag at least one other team into as well as when it comes to three games to go, you certainly wouldn't want Dunfermline at home to St Mirren or ICT who have no chance of getting relegated or topping the bottom six and us having to go to say.......pittodrie or Tynecastle :cb

bingo70
26-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Think dunfermline are playing motherwell next week so its a great opportunity to put a proper gap between us and them and would allow us to start targeting the teams above us.

Borderhibbie76
26-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Looking at the table a while back and the drop in form they had sustained I reckoned St Mirren would be the team I would target to pull back into any relegation battle. For all the admirable plaudits they gained earlier this season since the turn of the year they have been stuttering to pick up points. A win for the Hibs on Saturday would see them within our reach again in only being 5 points ahead with Hibs still having a game in hand. This is now an opportunity imho for Hibs to bring someone other than Dunfermline who I think play St Mirren the week after us into things. We are not going down this season and with a bit more self belief from the team and fans we could yet climb the league a couple places which come the Summer budget could be the difference between keeping or bringing a couple quality players.

It might not be the top six or European spots we are fighting for in the league but we do have something worth aiming for! Bring on next weekend when Hibs will hopefully give our home support some cheer and likewise the home support will give the team their backing that they are capable of doing. :thumbsup:

Totally agree with this, I've thought for a number of weeks now that St Midden are the team that we can drag back into the battle and here's hoping we can continue our upturn in fortunes next weekend!!!

3pm
26-02-2012, 09:15 AM
I appreciate the sentiment but I think we just need to win our games.

If we get near St Mirren's points total at any stage (ie 1 or 2 points) then I suspect it will be 'good night' for Dunfermline rather than the Buddies being dragged back in.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2012, 09:22 AM
For all the admirable plaudits they gained earlier this season since the turn of the year they have been stuttering to pick up points.

:agree: Definitely. The appointment of Tommy Craig was a masterstroke!

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Would love to stick four or five past Street Mirren next week in front of a crowd that would take them three games to get. A resounding chorus of " you made the wrong decision" aimed at Jim Goodwin would be good.

Hibercelona
26-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Lets just focus on our own business.

A couple of more wins and a few sneaky draws should see us get by.

Beefster
26-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I appreciate the sentiment but I think we just need to win our games.

This. I don't care about dragging other teams into whatever. I just want Hibs to get enough points to put Dunfermline down.

R'Albin
26-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Agree with the above. To be honest I'm not sure I can see Dunfy having more points than St Mirren or Inverness by the end of the season anyway, I don't think they're good enough.

hfc rd
26-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Totally agree with the OP. If we put a very good run together from now until the split, then we are defo safe and from what it looks, have dragged caley and st m into the relegation area.

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-02-2012, 11:07 AM
A good turnout is essential next week as well and if any bam steward tells you to sit down and stop swearing tell them to **** off...

:giruy:

:greengrin

GGTTH

AustinHibee
26-02-2012, 11:23 AM
A good turnout is essential next week as well and if any bam steward tells you to sit down and stop swearing tell them to **** off...

GGTTH
Quality.

Sas_The_Hibby
26-02-2012, 11:53 AM

GGTTH

Personally, I've never seen a steward willing to say "boo" to a goose.

Andy74
26-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Another team won't be brought into it now. There's no danger both Hibs and Dunfermline will both start now to pick up the points to bring another close to the bottom.

Sas_The_Hibby
26-02-2012, 11:56 AM
This. I don't care about dragging other teams into whatever. I just want Hibs to get enough points to put Dunfermline down.

:agree:

Exactly.

One win (a win I'm very pleased with BTW) and we're talking about catching teams above us again.

Finishing 9th or 10th, rather than 11th, holds no particular appeal for me and the fact is all that matters is not finishing 12th.

matty_f
26-02-2012, 12:09 PM
I think we are capable of putting a run together. Since Fenlon brought his players to the club we have beaten Killie twice, and drawn with the Sheep. The teams that have beaten us in that period are first and third, and by a considerable difference in points.

This team has shown itself to be competitive against the teams around us, and the aim should not simply be to avoid the drop but to target as high a finish as possible. If we beat St Mirren we put ourselves in a good position to overtake them by the end of the season. We still have ICT to play and we should look at catching them as well.

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Personally, I've never seen a steward willing to say "boo" to a goose.

I was a tad overstepping the mark I suppose but at the St Johnstone game game in the West upper there were 3 guys in front of me got a wee chant up near the exit when we scored and a muppet told them to "cool it lads" :shocked:

Needless to say the muppet was told to eff right off, which he did to his credit :na na:

Sir David Gray
26-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Another team won't be brought into it now. There's no danger both Hibs and Dunfermline will both start now to pick up the points to bring another close to the bottom.

:agree: Correct.

It's a straight battle between Hibs and Dunfermline with us having the upper hand at the moment.

I really cannot see St Mirren or any other club being dragged into the relegation battle at this late stage in the season.

smurf
26-02-2012, 02:39 PM

It's a straight battle between Hibs and Dunfermline with us having the upper hand at the moment.

I really cannot see St Mirren or any other club being dragged into the relegation battle at this late stage in the season.

Not so ridiculous to suggest we have a chance of defeating St Mirren next week. If we do then your POV may change?

Sir David Gray
26-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Not so ridiculous to suggest we have a chance of defeating St Mirren next week. If we do then your POV may change?

I'm not saying that we won't catch up with St Mirren by the end of the seaon (although my aim for this season is just to avoid relegation and anything more than that is a bonus).

What I'm saying is, Hibs AND Dunfermline will not both pick up enough points over the next couple of months to drag St Mirren (or any other team) into relegation trouble.

St Mirren's currently 8 points ahead of Hibs and 11 points clear of Dunfermline. I don't see them having any worries at all about staying up.

calumb
26-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Why not? we are 8 points behind a team that i don't think has won a league game this year, so by my reckoning if they lose to us next week they are right back in the relegation zone

matty_f
26-02-2012, 02:50 PM
There is still a lot of football to be played between now and the season's end. We are well capable of drawing other teams into the mix. I'm going from the top of my head here but if we beat St Mirren are they not just 5 points ahead with us to play them again? ICT have taken a chasing from Rangers today and are struggling for form as well. IMHO Dunfermline will go down but I'd be hugely disappointed if the team, with 30-odd points still to play for, are targeting an 11th place finish.

stokesmessiah
26-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Not so sure about that, there is still a fair bit of football to be played this season and Caley are catchable for sure not sure about the rest but if we are in touching distance and "have a right good go" after the split we could move further up the table. However, I dont really care what happens for the rest of this season so long as we always have at least 1 team under us in the league.

Also, i am really looking forward to the summer to see what PF is going to do with this squad.

PatHead
26-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Want us on a good winning run so that we are confident going into the Cup Final.:greengrin

(By the way will Princes Street be open for the open top bus trip?)

Sas_The_Hibby
26-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Want us on a good winning run so that we are confident going into the Cup Final.:greengrin

(By the way will Princes Street be open for the open top bus trip?)

By the time we win the Scottish Cup it certainly will be! :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Next weeks' treble for the coupon has to be Hibs at home, United at home and Motherwell away.

Dashing Bob S
26-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Let's not mince words - Dunfermline are toast. Completely, utterly, and totally relegated to the point of it being de facto meaningless them completing the rest of their fixtures.

God, I shall miss those steak bridies...

Billy Whizz
26-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Let's not mince words - Dunfermline are toast. Completely, utterly, and totally relegated to the point of it being de facto meaningless them completing the rest of their fixtures.

God, I shall miss those steak bridies...

Unless Ross County don't install under soil heating in time or Rangers go bust

Andy74
26-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Why not? we are 8 points behind a team that i don't think has won a league game this year, so by my reckoning if they lose to us next week they are right back in the relegation zone

Aye but as Falkirk says to drag another team in both us and Dunfermline need to start winning.

inglisavhibs
26-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Would love to stick four or five past Street Mirren next week in front of a crowd that would take them three games to get. A resounding chorus of " you made the wrong decision" aimed at Jim Goodwin would be good.

Watched goodwin closely on Saturday and doubt he would have given us anything new. Not better than osbourne and wants to play backwards and sideways too often. Not a bad player but no better than what we have. That said beating st mirren won't be easy and we need the players to work their socks off like they did on Saturday.