PDA

View Full Version : Rob Jones and Chris Hogg

RIP
24-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Don't get me started on those two carthorses. Jones was 'Bambi on ice' and Hogg was 'slower than a week in jail' Was glad to see the back of them. :wink:

Mind you it could be said that Tony Mowbray had the right idea in creating a regular centre half partnership. Hogg and Jones played about 100 games together and during that time we conceded 46, 45 and 47 goals in the SPL seasons up to 08/09. Whitty was around the first season and Murphy for an extra half season but Jones and Hogg managed to keep the goals against down even with those 2 away and dialbolical keepers behind them

Since Rob Jones left our goals against have been

09/10 - 55 - 3rd worst in the SPL
10/11 - 61 - WORST in the SPL
11/12 - on target to be 67-72

The only other constant during the past 3 years has been the revolving door of managers and players and our failure to put together a midfield who can protect the back four. A club without stability is certain to go backwards.

I wonder if we will ever see Hibs having a settled back four again i.e. - one that is there for 2 or 3 seasons?

number9dream
24-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Much of Motherwell's success this season must go down to consistency of selection: team much the same as last term and very few injuries.
For Saturday, I reckon PF will revert to the back four that kept Killie out last time - Doherty, McPake, Hanlon, Kujabi.
If they perform, stick with it!
Not much between Stack & Brown. Pick a name out of a hat...

Spike Mandela
24-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Rob Jones cup winning captain, immense in his first season, tough tackling, organiser, aerial threat in attack and scored more goals than most of our current strikers.

Like many have been before he was vastly underated by many whilst playing for us.

Stevie Reid
24-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I was amazed that Fenlon decided to change the back four again on Wednesday, Kujabi didn't have a great game against Celtic, but he certainly didn't deserve to be dropped - he may have gone for 'horses for courses' to try and contain Motherwell's wide men, but Kujabi handled Dayton really well at ER recently, and yet another new back four conceded another four goals.

I have been impressed with Fenlon so far, but surely a settled back four has to be a priority - he said as much in deciding to select Stack again after the Celtic game.

Captain Trips
24-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Rob Jones cup winning captain, immense in his first season, tough tackling, organiser, aerial threat in attack and scored more goals than most of our current strikers.

Like many have been before he was vastly underated by many whilst playing for us.

Jones was a good player for us, I would have him in that team in a flash.

Albion Hibs
24-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Don't get me started on those two carthorses. Jones was 'Bambi on ice' and Hogg was 'slower than a week in jail' Was glad to see the back of them. :wink:

Mind you it could be said that Tony Mowbray had the right idea in creating a regular centre half partnership. Hogg and Jones played about 100 games together and during that time we conceded 46, 45 and 47 goals in the SPL seasons up to 08/09. Whitty was around the first season and Murphy for an extra half season but Jones and Hogg managed to keep the goals against down even with those 2 away and dialbolical keepers behind them

Since Rob Jones left our goals against have been

09/10 - 55 - 3rd worst in the SPL
10/11 - 61 - WORST in the SPL
11/12 - on target to be 67-72

The only other constant during the past 3 years has been the revolving door of managers and players and our failure to put together a midfield who can protect the back four. A club without stability is certain to go backwards.

I wonder if we will ever see Hibs having a settled back four again i.e. - one that is there for 2 or 3 seasons?

Rob Jones would walk back into this team without a shaddow of doubt IMO. Dare I say it so might Chris Hogg.

Whilst the above may be the case in terms of defensive record we generally played our football higher up the park, and scored more goals. It was never a case of looking to win 1 nil.

I dont think we will see a settled back four unitl we have a settled management team...for that matter I dont think we will have a settled team at all.

The new CH have done nothing yet to demonstrate that they are any better than the assortment of Stephens, O'Hanlon and Hanlon.

Joe's ice cream
24-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Totally agree with your comments Spike- and especially ref the goals scored and to that the problems he created opposition defences when he was attacking one of our set pieces which in turn often led to opportunities for others

givescotlandfreedom
24-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I was amazed that Fenlon decided to change the back four again on Wednesday, Kujabi didn't have a great game against Celtic, but he certainly didn't deserve to be dropped

:agree: I think he'd have outperformed Paul Hanlon at left back.

3pm
24-02-2012, 01:28 PM
I was amazed that Fenlon decided to change the back four again on Wednesday, Kujabi didn't have a great game against Celtic, but he certainly didn't deserve to be dropped - he may have gone for 'horses for courses' to try and contain Motherwell's wide men, but Kujabi handled Dayton really well at ER recently, and yet another new back four conceded another four goals.

I have been impressed with Fenlon so far, but surely a settled back four has to be a priority - he said as much in deciding to select Stack again after the Celtic game.

I wondered if Kujabi was dropped because Fenlon didn't want Higdon drifting towards the back post and he thought Hanlon was better suited to winning headers.

He'll be in on Saturday.

heretoday
24-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Hibs have never replaced Jones and Hogg adequately. That's the whole problem.

Stevie Reid
24-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I wondered if Kujabi was dropped because Fenlon didn't want Higdon drifting towards the back post and he thought Hanlon was better suited to winning headers.

He'll be in on Saturday.

Good point, quite possibly - although you could then argue that Doherty should have been utilised at RB for that same reason, instead of Francombe.

I'd have thought that keeping the Hanlon/McPake partnership growing would have been of more use, as well as having Kujabi in - hopefully he will be back tomorrow.

Famous Fiver
24-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Slightly off topic but not only would Jones and Hogg walk into the poresent Hibs team, so would Nish and Rankin.

Tin hat on.

HH81
24-02-2012, 06:06 PM
I am off to the Sheffield derby on Sunday, so will report back on how Jones is doing.

stubble
24-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Jones has not been replaced...end of. He was immense for us...and not just because of that 1st CIS cup final goal. Hogg was average at best for us. I do agree that we need a settled back line. Whatever happened to the days when an entire team practically picked itself..think Turnbulls Tornadoes. Managers are now obsessed with tinkering and tampering and collecting as many utility type players as possible, who are moved from pillar to post, position to position from game to game, leading to no continuity, no flow, no understanding, and to erratic individual and team performances.:cb

Forza Fred
25-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Slightly off topic but not only would Jones and Hogg walk into the poresent Hibs team, so would Nish and Rankin.

Tin hat on.

It may be that you are at the wind up, but irrespective, I agree with you.

When many were calling for some of those players you mentioned heads, I recalled the old Chinese proverb...

Be careful what you wish for..

HH81
27-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Jones played well yesterday :agree:

I was at Sheffield derby and he didn't do much wrong. Would get into this Hibs team, no doubt about it. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
27-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Jones would still be our captain should he still be at the club. Hogg Rankin and Nish, not a chance they would start in this team. Who would they replace?

Judas Iscariot
27-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Hogg only ever looked half acceptable when playing with a decent centre half, see Jones or Bamba, the rest of the time he was a total bombscare

cam75
27-02-2012, 03:46 PM
I made a good few quid on jones 1st season as 1st goal but 2nd season became to same same

Andy74
27-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Bamba was decent, I thought Dickoh wasn't bad overall.

The main problem was CC deciding we were fine just adding O'Hanlon when these boys went.

basehibby
27-02-2012, 05:04 PM

:agree: Certainly by some (including the OP :confused:) but not by all. As well as being dominant in the air Jones was a proper leader on the park. On his departure, Bamba replaced him in a physical sense but we have lacked a proper leader in defence ever since Jones's departure - until now that is! McPake looks like the man to take us forward at centre Half - hope he can be secured on a long term deal.

The_Todd
27-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Don't get me started on those two carthorses. Jones was 'Bambi on ice' and Hogg was 'slower than a week in jail' Was glad to see the back of them.

Such contempt for Rob Jones makes me cry inside. Sometimes we Hibs fans just don't know what we have until they've gone, and even then some Hibs fans don't realise what they had.

Sheff Wed fans seem to know how lucky they are after a flick through their forum, anyway.

RIP
28-02-2012, 10:44 AM

Such contempt for Rob Jones makes me cry inside. Sometimes we Hibs fans just don't know what we have until they've gone, and even then some Hibs fans don't realise what they had.

Sheff Wed fans seem to know how lucky they are after a flick through their forum, anyway.

Mr Todd - apologies. I need to find a "tongue in cheek" smiley instead of a "wink" smiley.

Rob Jones was my favourite player during the years he was here. Got my photo taken with him, Pat Stanton and my 2 laddies. Both were absolute gentleman and Pat couldn't praise Rob enough :agree:

IWasThere2016
28-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Jones played well yesterday :agree:

I was at Sheffield derby and he didn't do much wrong. Would get into this Hibs team, no doubt about it. :agree:

:agree: I cannot see why he is given such a tough time by some on here. Absolute gentleman also.

Jones would still be our captain should he still be at the club. Hogg Rankin and Nish, not a chance they would start in this team. Who would they replace?

ICT's results improved when Hogg was out .. which says it all IMHO. Nish was getting panned by Hartlepool fans the last time I read their boards. However, Rankin has been excellent for the Arabs - and I'd expect their fans to give him their POTS - that said I agree as I'd rather have Claros, Ozzy and Lewis personally.

The_Todd
28-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Mr Todd - apologies. I need to find a "tongue in cheek" smiley instead of a "wink" smiley.

Rob Jones was my favourite player during the years he was here. Got my photo taken with him, Pat Stanton and my 2 laddies. Both were absolute gentleman and Pat couldn't praise Rob enough :agree:

I apologise unreservedly.

:greengrin