PDA

View Full Version : Great Adventure - no thanks!!

sambajustice
24-02-2012, 07:38 AM
I went on the "Great Adventure" the last time but have absolutely no intention of doing it again. Every home game was attended along a few away trips, most notably Ayr and Stranraer.

The fact we face this same situation little over ten years since it last happened is an absolute disgrace. I won't be going along to Cowdenbeath, Kirkcaldy, Falkirk, greenock, Dumfries or Ayr next year, no way.

My support of Hibs has lapsed though, to the point where I don't get annoyed if we lose, I expect it. News of a defeat is met with a roll of the eyes then I get on with whatever I'm doing and don't think about it again rather than being annoyed for the rest of the day or night. I also don't go into work ranting about the football like a lot of work colleagues do. It really doesn't matter to me that much anymore.

I play football a lot of saturdays (if that's what you can even call it! :D ) so the chance to get to games is reduced. I could however get to a lot more games than I currently do, which is approximately zero. The fact is I refuse to pay the asking price for the product on offer, the best part of thirty quid for an hour and half of gashness and getting annoyed - no thanks! If we have two home games in a row there's pair of adidas classics I could have on my feet instead!!

The last time I was at easter road was against Ayr last year, I was running late, got to the East about two minutes before kick off and saw huge queues outside and only two gates open. There were loads shut! About five past three I just thought "eff this, if they can't be bothered opening more gates then I can't be bothered giving them my money"

Anyway, not really trying to make a point just having a rant!! I know I am a bad supporter so I await the chorus of "you're not missed", "good riddance" and "see you later then". I'll laugh at this!!

Oh, one good thing about feeling like this is that you can't lose an argument with a yam!! You can wind them up and they get even more annoyed when they realise nothing they can say can wind you up!!

stubru59
24-02-2012, 08:27 AM
I went on the "Great Adventure" the last time but have absolutely no intention of doing it again. Every home game was attended along a few away trips, most notably Ayr and Stranraer.

The fact we face this same situation little over ten years since it last happened is an absolute disgrace. I won't be going along to Cowdenbeath, Kirkcaldy, Falkirk, greenock, Dumfries or Ayr next year, no way.

My support of Hibs has lapsed though, to the point where I don't get annoyed if we lose, I expect it. News of a defeat is met with a roll of the eyes then I get on with whatever I'm doing and don't think about it again rather than being annoyed for the rest of the day or night. I also don't go into work ranting about the football like a lot of work colleagues do. It really doesn't matter to me that much anymore.

I play football a lot of saturdays (if that's what you can even call it! :D ) so the chance to get to games is reduced. I could however get to a lot more games than I currently do, which is approximately zero. The fact is I refuse to pay the asking price for the product on offer, the best part of thirty quid for an hour and half of gashness and getting annoyed - no thanks! If we have two home games in a row there's pair of adidas classics I could have on my feet instead!!

The last time I was at easter road was against Ayr last year, I was running late, got to the East about two minutes before kick off and saw huge queues outside and only two gates open. There were loads shut! About five past three I just thought "eff this, if they can't be bothered opening more gates then I can't be bothered giving them my money"

Anyway, not really trying to make a point just having a rant!! I know I am a bad supporter so I await the chorus of "you're not missed", "good riddance" and "see you later then". I'll laugh at this!!

Oh, one good thing about feeling like this is that you can't lose an argument with a yam!! You can wind them up and they get even more annoyed when they realise nothing they can say can wind you up!!
:agree:

You've hit the nail on the head. Its getting to the stage where even mustering up a modicum of indifference is difficult.

Twa Cairpets
24-02-2012, 08:46 AM

So, you can't muster the interest to go to a game. You've not attended in a year or so, and you've got other things you prefer doing on a saturday. Well all that's fine, people change in their lives. Your support has lapsed, and you dont particularly care if we win or lose.

Dont you see the teensy weeensy contradiction then of coming on and having a rant. "I dont go anymore and guess what. I'm still not going to go anymore next year. Take that in your pipe and smoke it Petrie!"

You're entitled to think what you want, but I dont see what you get out of posts like this. If you dont care, don't post - your opinions are on an equivalent par with Shaun whatshisface on Kickback, pontificating keech from a distance without ever setting foot in the ground.

mcvie7
24-02-2012, 08:53 AM

If you don't have enough patience to wait to get into the ground then no wonder you have given up on Hibs already. If you didnt go to games this season in killie, Motherwell , Perth and Glasgow then what is your point about not travelling to
Cowdenbeath, Kirkcaldy, Falkirk, greenock, Dumfries or Ayr
again next season ?? I dont get your point !!

sambajustice
24-02-2012, 08:55 AM
So, you can't muster the interest to go to a game. You've not attended in a year or so, and you've got other things you prefer doing on a saturday. Well all that's fine, people change in their lives. Your support has lapsed, and you dont particularly care if we win or lose.

Dont you see the teensy weeensy contradiction then of coming on and having a rant. "I dont go anymore and guess what. I'm still not going to go anymore next year. Take that in your pipe and smoke it Petrie!"

You're entitled to think what you want, but I dont see what you get out of posts like this. If you dont care, don't post - your opinions are on an equivalent par with Shaun whatshisface on Kickback, pontificating keech from a distance without ever setting foot in the ground.

Difference is, I used to go A LOT!

Also, i probably would care if there was something worth caring about!

Twa Cairpets
24-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Difference is, I used to go A LOT!

Also, i probably would care if there was something worth caring about!

No, sorry, that doesnt wash. Being a fan in the past doesnt give you the right to come on and pontificate about how awful it is now. You lose that privelege when you effectively cease to be a supporter to the point where - and I quote - "My support of Hibs has lapsed though, to the point where I don't get annoyed if we lose, I expect it. News of a defeat is met with a roll of the eyes then I get on with whatever I'm doing and don't think about it again .... It really doesn't matter to me that much anymore".

As I said, that's fine, no problem with me, it happens to lots of people when families come, work changes attendance patterns, playing football or simple drifting away.

My beef with your post is that it is pointless, and you are either (a) lying about how you feel, (b) at the wind up, (c) guilty about not going anymore and trying to justify it in some weird way. If you don't care, shut up, and let those who do care get on with being supporters.

Steve20
24-02-2012, 09:08 AM
No, sorry, that doesnt wash. Being a fan in the past doesnt give you the right to come on and pontificate about how awful it is now. You lose that privelege when you effectively cease to be a supporter to the point where - and I quote - "My support of Hibs has lapsed though, to the point where I don't get annoyed if we lose, I expect it. News of a defeat is met with a roll of the eyes then I get on with whatever I'm doing and don't think about it again .... It really doesn't matter to me that much anymore".

There are no rules on when you are allowed an opinion on your own team.

I still go to the games just now, but will certainly not get a season ticket if we go down. I have no desire to go every week to watch First Division football. The standard in the SPL is bad enough.

RIP
24-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Samba - you are not the only one who feels like this. The only difference with you is that you stopped going at all a year ago. Since 2007 we have lost a few thousand regulars who share your sentiments. I'm still going because that's what I do, what my father did, what his father did and because my sons want to go to see their uncle and cousins who stand with us.

We still have say a reasonable sized fanbase of potential supporters who go over the course of a season but not to every game. Even if we were winning regularly the maximum attendance we would get would be 80-90% of that as some folk work Saturdays, shifts or live far away. At the moment we are regularly getting about 25% of that fanbase or about a half of what we could get in a great season. You only have to look at our cup final attendance in 2007 to realise that we have a POTENTIAL support of 30,000.

Hopefully we will see you at Hampden this year :greengrin and meanwhile enjoy your weekends

Ray_
24-02-2012, 09:13 AM

Its not a contradiction, its a serious situation we have & if you cannot see it, your head is as firmly stuck in the sand as any of Shaun Lawton's mates. There are many people like the OP, people who would have never have even have considered themselves not going to a hibs game, but it got to the point for a lot of folk that they just had enough of the mismanagement & garbage dished out at ER & believe me, they are hurting, hence the OP's rant.

The serious part is not only how individuals themselves are hurting, but the financial implications on the club, its all very well saying that you must support your club, but if you have serious misgivings about the way the cash is spent, after watching an inept board waste millions, then that's what tips people over the edge.

N.Wales Hibby
24-02-2012, 09:16 AM

As I said, that's fine, no problem with me, it happens to lots of people when families come, work changes attendance patterns, playing football or simple drifting away.

My beef with your post is that it is pointless, and you are either (a) lying about how you feel, (b) at the wind up, (c) guilty about not going anymore and trying to justify it in some weird way. If you don't care, shut up, and let those who do care get on with being supporters.

Agree with what you say. I think he cares but does not want to admit it. A wee cry for help..It's in the blood.

Hibernia&Alba
24-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Losing so regularly does wear you down, no question. Just as it affects players' confidence, so with the fans. I'm angry at the whole situation. For a club of Hibs' size within the Scottish game to be hanging on by its fingernails is a disgrace. And with the first division as it is right now, promotion would be tough.

Captain Trips
24-02-2012, 09:33 AM

I think it gives you every right, the fact anyone posts on here shows some level of care regardless of content, I would argue that if Petrie had the chance to listen to a group of 10 fans, 5 with season tickets and 5 without whom have stopped going I think he would be interested in the thoughts of those not going in order to see if he could get them back firstly.

stubble
24-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Give the guy some slack. His views reflect those of a great many other of our fellow hibbies. Better for Petrie and co to focus on recapturing these lost souls before they are gone for good. There are thousands out there feeling just as dissilusioned, who are simply itching for our great club to get its act together and to take us back to where a club of our standing should be...genuinely competing at the top end of the SPL...EVERY SINGLE SEASON!:cb

Spike Mandela
24-02-2012, 10:29 AM

If it disnae bother ye that much cheer up ya grumpy *******!

RIP
24-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Give the guy some slack. His views reflect those of a great many other of our fellow hibbies. Better for Petrie and co to focus on recapturing these lost souls before they are gone for good. There are thousands out there feeling just as dissilusioned, who are simply itching for our great club to get its act together and to take us back to where a club of our standing should be...genuinely competing at the top end of the SPL...EVERY SINGLE SEASON!:cb

We have averaged sixth or seventh in the league since the mid 70's. For every third or fourth place there's been an eighth or tenth and two previous relegations.

This standing we ACTUALLY have is of a fairly average SPL club and whilst we may aspire to greater things the reality is we rarely achieve them

Maybe I'm still living off the fact I was named after Gordon Smith and witnessed the Tornadoes and European adventures. :greengrin

GGTTH (NVO)

Captain Trips
24-02-2012, 11:25 AM
We have averaged sixth or seventh in the league since the mid 70's. For every third or fourth place there's been an eighth or tenth and two previous relegations.

This standing we ACTUALLY have is of a fairly average SPL club and whilst we may aspire to greater things the reality is we rarely achieve them

Maybe I'm still living off the fact I was named after Gordon Smith and witnessed the Tornadoes and European adventures. :greengrin

GGTTH (NVO)

I do not care what our standing has been and our average, 3rd/4th is where we should be anything less for me is failure we do rarely acheive it and that as far as I am concerned has to end. If we finish 7/8th due to paying 7/8th highest wages with crowds of that fair enough.

Everything into consideration Hibs have failed over last few years and continue to fail. Hibs in this current climate should be looking at 3rd/4th what went on in 70s,80s is irrelevant.

Twa Cairpets
24-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Its not a contradiction, its a serious situation we have & if you cannot see it, your head is as firmly stuck in the sand as any of Shaun Lawton's mates. There are many people like the OP, people who would have never have even have considered themselves not going to a hibs game, but it got to the point for a lot of folk that they just had enough of the mismanagement & garbage dished out at ER & believe me, they are hurting, hence the OP's rant.

The serious part is not only how individuals themselves are hurting, but the financial implications on the club, its all very well saying that you must support your club, but if you have serious misgivings about the way the cash is spent, after watching an inept board waste millions, then that's what tips people over the edge.

I think it gives you every right, the fact anyone posts on here shows some level of care regardless of content, I would argue that if Petrie had the chance to listen to a group of 10 fans, 5 with season tickets and 5 without whom have stopped going I think he would be interested in the thoughts of those not going in order to see if he could get them back firstly.

There are no rules on when you are allowed an opinion on your own team.

I still go to the games just now, but will certainly not get a season ticket if we go down. I have no desire to go every week to watch First Division football. The standard in the SPL is bad enough.

Give the guy some slack. His views reflect those of a great many other of our fellow hibbies. Better for Petrie and co to focus on recapturing these lost souls before they are gone for good. There are thousands out there feeling just as dissilusioned, who are simply itching for our great club to get its act together and to take us back to where a club of our standing should be...genuinely competing at the top end of the SPL...EVERY SINGLE SEASON

I think you're all kind of missing the point. I'm not arguing against the OP being disillusioned - it would be hard not to be after the last two years. What i'm hacked off about is guys claiming not to care then going a rant about how dreadful things are. The OP is either lying or confused or at the wind-up. If you dont care you dont rant. If he does care then he's lying for some reason.

Of course the club should be concerned about why people dont go anymore when they once did. An anonymous internet forum is not the place to do the research though is it? Loud voices shout loudest.

It comes down to what you want out of football. If your reason for going to Hibs games is to watch exciting football week in week out then attendance has been the triumph of hope over experience for the majority of the 40-odd years I've been going. Strident declarations of "Im not buying a season ticket if we go down" irk me. Fine, if you dont want to go dont go - dont paint yourself as some type of principled martyr, you're not. You've just reached the point where your interest in going to a game is outweighed by something else, which is entirely understandable. Every football club has a "hard-core" support who will pretty much go regardless, and there is nothing intrinsically better about being in the latter group compared to being more fickle, but people who sling brickbats from a position of deliberate disengagment such as the OP are doing so from a position of very shaky justification.

I want to be entertained when I go - of course I do. And when I enjoy it less than other competing demands then I'll stop going, Plenty of weeks I've gone out of habit, but I've still got some type of perverse pleasure out of it because I enjoy football, enjoy being a Hibby, enjoy seeing the guys I go with and like the occasion more than going to the cinema. If I stop going in the future, it'll be because something else is more important to me. What I won't do is claim I care when I don't.

McSwanky
24-02-2012, 11:34 AM

What would Hibs have to do to get you back? Is it solely about the money, or the lack of quality on show? Or have you actually just changed as a person and nothing would bring you back? Genuinely interested.

Ray_
24-02-2012, 11:57 AM
I think you're all kind of missing the point. I'm not arguing against the OP being disillusioned - it would be hard not to be after the last two years. What i'm hacked off about is guys claiming not to care then going a rant about how dreadful things are. The OP is either lying or confused or at the wind-up. If you dont care you dont rant. If he does care then he's lying for some reason.

Of course the club should be concerned about why people dont go anymore when they once did. An anonymous internet forum is not the place to do the research though is it? Loud voices shout loudest.

It comes down to what you want out of football. If your reason for going to Hibs games is to watch exciting football week in week out then attendance has been the triumph of hope over experience for the majority of the 40-odd years I've been going. Strident declarations of "Im not buying a season ticket if we go down" irk me. Fine, if you dont want to go dont go - dont paint yourself as some type of principled martyr, you're not. You've just reached the point where your interest in going to a game is outweighed by something else, which is entirely understandable. Every football club has a "hard-core" support who will pretty much go regardless, and there is nothing intrinsically better about being in the latter group compared to being more fickle, but people who sling brickbats from a position of deliberate disengagment such as the OP are doing so from a position of very shaky justification.

I want to be entertained when I go - of course I do. And when I enjoy it less than other competing demands then I'll stop going, Plenty of weeks I've gone out of habit, but I've still got some type of perverse pleasure out of it because I enjoy football, enjoy being a Hibby, enjoy seeing the guys I go with and like the occasion more than going to the cinema. If I stop going in the future, it'll be because something else is more important to me. What I won't do is claim I care when I don't.

There are plenty of people out there who had gone beyond caring about results but they very much care about the incompetence that's led to them feeling that way, about something that meant so much to them.

If you opened your eyes, you would have noticed that a lot of the ones not going would, in the very recent past, have been regarded as hard core & that is why it is for important for the club for people to talk out & not carry on as though nothing has happened, that way there is far less chance of the club enticing back the missing thousands.

Hibernia&Alba
24-02-2012, 12:01 PM
I do not care what our standing has been and our average, 3rd/4th is where we should be anything less for me is failure we do rarely acheive it and that as far as I am concerned has to end. If we finish 7/8th due to paying 7/8th highest wages with crowds of that fair enough.

Everything into consideration Hibs have failed over last few years and continue to fail. Hibs in this current climate should be looking at 3rd/4th what went on in 70s,80s is irrelevant.

That's what we should be aiming for. It won't happen every year, but it's what we should be striving for, with a comfortable mid table position as a minimum. Joint bottom and with four wins all season is ridiculous.

Craig_in_Prague
24-02-2012, 12:06 PM
What would Hibs have to do to get you back? Is it solely about the money, or the lack of quality on show? Or have you actually just changed as a person and nothing would bring you back? Genuinely interested.

I can't speak for Samba and he's the OP on this, but I can relate to what he has been saying. Even from afar, I feel so apathetic to Hibs and really falling out of love with the team/club. It's not just this seasons dire run of results and the threat of relegation. I think it is indeed the downward spiral since 2007. I still care, a lot, but I do find it becoming easier and easier to shrug off a result now and sadly when we are playing now I feel I am just waiting on goals going in against us, it's a matter of time.
Like the OP, I was at nearly all games in the 1st division, there was still a good feeling about the place and as a club when we went down, we seemed to become stronger mentally and we then went on to have the best 5-6 years, in most of our life time (unless your really old - only joking :-)
........I suppose I feel the same as OP in that if I was in Edin now, I would most definitely not be going to games in the 1st div, even if I didn't have something in particular which was 'better' to do - things are rotten top to botton at Hibs and Pat Fenlon has one MASSIVE job on his hands. I just hope to god that he can turn things round, because I believe slowly but surely the club will become 'closer' to fans hearts again, crowds would rise again.... and Easter Road might one day be a place the Hibs fans will (really) enjoy going to again each time we play and on the opposite side, away fans/teams won't fancy it too much.

I don't see the point in people nit picking on the OP post, he's a fan that deep down DOES care and like a lot of us, are really disillusioned with Hibs and just "want them back"

Baldy Foghorn
24-02-2012, 12:07 PM

Saying things like "its a disgrace" and that your support has lapsed, why write that in a post? You must care somewhat to write or are you just attention seeking?

Baldy Foghorn
24-02-2012, 12:09 PM
I can't speak for Samba and he's the OP on this, but I can relate to what he has been saying. Even from afar, I feel so apathetic to Hibs and really falling out of love with the team/club. It's not just this seasons dire run of results and the threat of relegation. I think it is indeed the downward spiral since 2007. I still care, a lot, but I do find it becoming easier and easier to shrug off a result now and sadly when we are playing now I feel I am just waiting on goals going in against us, it's a matter of time.
Like the OP, I was at nearly all games in the 1st division, there was still a good feeling about the place and as a club when we went down, we seemed to become stronger mentally and we then went on to have the best 5-6 years, in most of our life time (unless your really old - only joking :-)
........I suppose I feel the same as OP in that if I was in Edin now, I would most definitely not be going to games in the 1st div, even if I didn't have something in particular which was 'better' to do - things are rotten top to botton and Hibs and Pat Fenlon has one MASSIVE job on his hands. I just hope to god that he can turn things round, because I believe slowly but surely the club will become 'closer' to fans hearts again, crowds would rise again.... and Easter Road might one day be a place the Hibs fans will (really) enjoy going to again each time we play and on the opposite side, away fans/teams won't fancy it too much.

I don't see the point in people nit picking on the OP post, he's a fan that deep down DOES care and like a lot of us, are really disillusioned with Hibs and just "want them back"

Hibs have not went anywhere, you cant just support the Club through the good times only, you have to stick by them in bad situations, it makes winning or being in Finals all that much more sweeter, when it happens....

Craig_in_Prague
24-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Hibs have not went anywhere, you cant just support the Club through the good times only, you have to stick by them in bad situations, it makes winning or being in Finals all that much more sweeter, when it happens....

We did not always have good times in the past when I, and thousands of others went.

I think you missed my point completely.

Baldy Foghorn
24-02-2012, 12:14 PM
We did not always have good times in the past when I, and thousands of others went.

I think you missed my point completely.

You are saying that you would not go and watch them in the 1st division, not really supporting is it?

sambajustice

The cost is a big factor but it goes hand in hand with what is on offer. You should get what you pay for and as it stands Hibs fans pay a pretty penny to watch the team but what they get back is generally honking.

As i said, i play football on a saturday at the moment so wouldnt get to every game even if i wanted to but there's enough sunday and midweek games along with days when my own teams games get called off that i could make a few games. I just choose not to.

I never actually said "i dont care", i said "it doesnt matter to me that much anymore." Obviously i care to a certain extent otherwise i wouldnt have spent the bus journey into work typing out that post.

Im not one of these attention seeking people who come with the "im never doing X again" when actually i fully intend to do "X" again and just want people to tell me that i shouldnt give up!

What i think im trying to get across is the general apathy i have towards Hibs. Maybe its Scottish football in general that i cant be bothered with!! I think i would give up totally actually if Rangers got liquidated and admitted back into the Premier League. I've read a few comments on here saying that exact same thing actually.

I agree, supporting this mob is not something you can just turn on and off, which is a pain in the erchie actually, but my level of interest in the team at the moment is so low that it doesnt ruin my day if we get pumped. For example i put a few quid on hearts to beat us, 3-1 and 4-1.

To answer the question, i think all it would take is for someone to (literally) drag me along to a game, we win 3-0 and i'd be buzzing again! I'd bounce out the game, go buy a scarf, a strip and probably get bevvied along the road and finish the night singing hibs songs! At the moment though, that doesnt interest me.

Suppose im just trying to spark the "Apathy" debate!

Twa Cairpets
There are plenty of people out there who had gone beyond caring about results but they very much care about the incompetence that's led to them feeling that way, about something that meant so much to them.

If you opened your eyes, you would have noticed that a lot of the ones not going would, in the very recent past, have been regarded as hard core & that is why it is for important for the club for people to talk out & not carry on as though nothing has happened, that way there is far less chance of the club enticing back the missing thousands.

Its not about "opening my eyes". Football support is cyclical, fickle, and affected by social conditions.

A poor football team on the park in the middle of a recession is going to depress attendances - this is not a mystery. We were equally bad late 90's and under Williamson in particular, as well as a succession of mediocrity before then. The only time we've been genuinely really good in 20 years was under Mowbray and bits of McLeish.

If you look back, I've said nothing about people being banned from complaining - I just think if you complain from a position of not caring and not stepping foot in the ground for a year (and presumably not putting a bean into the club to support it) is downright weird.

The way for Hibs to succeed is for the team on the park to be better. This requires fans to go to generate income - yes, its a two way street - but it comes down again to the question of why we go at all. You're not a Hibby for the succession of cups and silverware we get, so why are you a fan? It seems some claim to be to be able to act out some kind of anger therapy, and flounce of in a swirl of indignation when we dont play like Barca. Personally, I think people mostly stop going due to other things taking over in their lives, especially family. Some people feel guitly about this, and justify their non attendance to themsleves by blaming how bad we are/how it's crap/how it's not worth it.

Ray_
24-02-2012, 12:19 PM

When there's people out there that's been doing what you say, for amount of years you've been on this planet and longer & suddenly its only now that so many of them feel different, its something far more than a bad run of results that has triggered this apathy.

McSwanky
24-02-2012, 12:22 PM
The cost is a big factor but it goes hand in hand with what is on offer. You should get what you pay for and as it stands Hibs fans pay a pretty penny to watch the team but what they get back is generally honking.

As i said, i play football on a saturday at the moment so wouldnt get to every game even if i wanted to but there's enough sunday and midweek games along with days when my own teams games get called off that i could make a few games. I just choose not to.

I never actually said "i dont care", i said "it doesnt matter to me that much anymore." Obviously i care to a certain extent otherwise i wouldnt have spent the bus journey into work typing out that post.

Im not one of these attention seeking people who come with the "im never doing X again" when actually i fully intend to do "X" again and just want people to tell me that i shouldnt give up!

What i think im trying to get across is the general apathy i have towards Hibs. Maybe its Scottish football in general that i cant be bothered with!! I think i would give up totally actually if Rangers got liquidated and admitted back into the Premier League. I've read a few comments on here saying that exact same thing actually.

I agree, supporting this mob is not something you can just turn on and off, which is a pain in the erchie actually, but my level of interest in the team at the moment is so low that it doesnt ruin my day if we get pumped. For example i put a few quid on hearts to beat us, 3-1 and 4-1.

To answer the question, i think all it would take is for someone to (literally) drag me along to a game, we win 3-0 and i'd be buzzing again! I'd bounce out the game, go buy a scarf, a strip and probably get bevvied along the road and finish the night singing hibs songs! At the moment though, that doesnt interest me.

Suppose im just trying to spark the "Apathy" debate!

Fair answer. Like I was saying, I was genuinely interested. For the record, I haven't been to a game for a good while either, but changes in family/financial circumstances at the same time as us becoming rank rotten muddy the waters a bit for me. I actually can't see myself becoming a regular again in the near future even if Hibs suddenly became world beaters, and they only charged a couple of quid to get in. But that's just me.

Cheers for answering.

Baldy Foghorn
24-02-2012, 12:23 PM
When there's people out there that's been doing what you say, for amount of years you've been on this planet and longer & suddenly its only now that so many of them feel different, its something far more than a bad run of results that has triggered this apathy.

I see supporting Hibs as an unconditional love, and no matter how bad things are, you just can't switch off......I don't buy into the "we are pish so I'm not going" attitude.......

Speedway
24-02-2012, 12:25 PM

This is a very interesting read as I both care very much what goes on at the club whilst not giving a toss whether these players win or lose because i don't identify with them.

I'm not excited by football at all these days and get very annoyed when paid players can't do, what are very simple things to master.

So I care deeply but I couldn't give a stuff and both I and myself agree on this.

Ray_
24-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Its not about "opening my eyes". Football support is cyclical, fickle, and affected by social conditions.

A poor football team on the park in the middle of a recession is going to depress attendances - this is not a mystery. We were equally bad late 90's and under Williamson in particular, as well as a succession of mediocrity before then. The only time we've been genuinely really good in 20 years was under Mowbray and bits of McLeish.

If you look back, I've said nothing about people being banned from complaining - I just think if you complain from a position of not caring and not stepping foot in the ground for a year (and presumably not putting a bean into the club to support it) is downright weird.

The way for Hibs to succeed is for the team on the park to be better. This requires fans to go to generate income - yes, its a two way street - but it comes down again to the question of why we go at all. You're not a Hibby for the succession of cups and silverware we get, so why are you a fan? It seems some claim to be to be able to act out some kind of anger therapy, and flounce of in a swirl of indignation when we dont play like Barca. Personally, I think people mostly stop going due to other things taking over in their lives, especially family. Some people feel guitly about this, and justify their non attendance to themsleves by blaming how bad we are/how it's crap/how it's not worth it.

I won't spend anywhere near what I used to on hibs because I have absolutely no confidence in it not being wasted. hibs have had many poor sides since the mid seventies, but I've never known the indifference that exists today amongst the support & if wasn't for the fact that at the moment, we need all the points we can get, even more of us would be indifferent about our results.

Ray_
24-02-2012, 12:31 PM
I see supporting Hibs as an unconditional love, and no matter how bad things are, you just can't switch off......I don't buy into the "we are pish so I'm not going" attitude.......

Well if everybody was the same & they were all like you, then it would be OK, as we wouldn't be losing thousands in the cash register and on match-day, but alas, everybody's different, hence the problem.

Baldy Foghorn
24-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Well if everybody was the same & they were all like you, then it would be OK, as we wouldn't be losing thousands in the cash register and on match-day, but alas, everybody's different, hence the problem.

I am well aware of the apathy, but is it too simplistic to say if you want to go you will, if not you won't?

Speedway
24-02-2012, 12:44 PM
I won't spend anywhere near what I used to on hibs because I have absolutely no confidence in it not being wasted. hibs have had many poor sides since the mid seventies, but I've never known the indifference that exists today amongst the support & if wasn't for the fact that at the moment, we need all the points we can get, even more of us would be indifferent about our results.

Another dimension to this discussion I think, is that Footie has changed massively over the last 20 years. In order for the media machine to get some return on it's invesment in the game, is has to sensationalise and scrutinise every aspect of the game in order to feed it's need for content. SKY are the worst culprits in my mind. Breaking news, Harry Redknapp did NOT, repeat, did NOT go for his 3pm dump today on the throne at the club's training ground in Tittysham.

Our reporter Jack Bored is freezing his teds off outside the Tittysham nerve centre now to bring us the latest...

Thanks Dick...yes unconfirmed reports started surfacing at around 3.10pm when eyewitness accounts told SkySports that the bog where Harry normally downloads his captain's log smelt suspiciously neutral, suggesting that the daily routine of spraying Glade Linen Fresh around to mask the odour of his latest rip snorter had not occurred.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

With the internet, we get the same thing at an SPL club level with fans debating whether Pat Fenlon is the man for the job since he scratched his arse after we scored our opening goal and didn't make the tactical changes us geniuses would have him make in any given game.

All this kind of activity just wears me down and it's boredom more than anything that has caused me to lose interest in the sport nevermind Hibs.

johnrebus
24-02-2012, 12:45 PM
For me, this all goes back to 2007 and when Rob Jones jabbed his forefinger onto the push button of Petrie's doorbell.

We have been on a steady decline ever since. Its all been talked to death on the subject of Petrie and STF - many of us want rid of one or the other, or both, but there is little viable alternative - we could end up in a hell of a worse state than we are already in - look at Stockport County and the near miss we had with Brian Kennedy........,

Anger, frustration, depression, desperation, then a feeling of utter helplessness and ultimately indifference.

:tumble:

BEEJ
24-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Another dimension to this discussion I think, is that Footie has changed massively over the last 20 years. In order for the media machine to get some return on it's invesment in the game, is has to sensationalise and scrutinise every aspect of the game in order to feed it's need for content.

With the internet, we get the same thing at an SPL club level with fans debating whether Pat Fenlon is the man for the job since he scratched his arse after we scored our opening goal and didn't make the tactical changes us geniuses would have him make in any given game.

All this kind of activity just wears me down and it's boredom more than anything that has caused me to lose interest in the sport nevermind Hibs.
:agree: I have a lot of symapthy with that view.

Recent example: - endless slow-mo re-runs from different angles of the 'Suarez / Evra handshake incident' took up more air-time and fans forum discussion than the match itself.

Tedious in the extreme. :greengrin

GreenCastle
24-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Some fair points on this thread.

I think though that it's more simple than some people want to believe and that is.......is it value for money?

Many support Hibs as it's their local club or they have a tradition stretching back to family members taking them to games when they were young.

However the facts and figures have shown over the years the steep rise in ticket prices and add ons (e.g food at ER) - the older generation can back me up on the matchday outgoings.

Today's economic climate isn't helping football right now but I still believe if the ticket prices were lower / cheaper to match the quality on show the club would have more in the stadium and less fans not attending. I know someone will come back and say you pay for what you get - but we aren't. We are paying over the odds and not getting anything like the quality expected.

I fully agree with this part Sambajustice said "
The cost is a big factor but it goes hand in hand with what is on offer. You should get what you pay for and as it stands Hibs fans pay a pretty penny to watch the team but what they get back is generally honking".

Blindfaith is something that happens at football all over the country - supporting a team through thick and thin - however I believe there is a difference between supporting a team in the good times and bad times (I have seen Hibs win Cup Finals and been at Division 1 games etc) and being realistic with where the money is going. Many just get so fed up with the cost and think why should I bother if the club (board / manager / team ) give me nothing back.

Success on the pitch helps but even when we were doing well in the league the stadium wasn't always full - as many still didn't see the experience as value for money.

lord bunberry
24-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I agree with so much that has been said on this thread but I think one of the big problems now is the defeatest attitude shown by all clubs outside the old firm. we are constantly told we can't compete with them but are then asked to put our hands in our pockets and pay top dollar I'm not blaming hibs for this its just a fact of life that money matters more in football more than ever before. I know the old firm have always been strong but I doubt turnbull ever told his team that third was ok and that's the problem for me we have had bad teams before but there was always the belief that we could dust ourselves down and put up a challenge the next year that belief isn't there anymore and that imo is where a lot of the apathy comes from. Fwiw I will continue to buy a season ticket no matter what league we are in but I can understand people who don't bother anymore .

ShanksSaidNo
24-02-2012, 02:59 PM

I can see why people think your post is pointless. I however find it quite interesting. Interesting in the sense that there are a lot of people out there that have become completely disillusioned with Hibernian FC. Thinking of all the Hibs fans I know a lot of them have slipped into this way of thinking. None of them have stood up and made a stand declaring “I’m not doing it anymore” – it has just sort of happened.

Rather worryingly from a personal point of view – reading your post I get what you are talking about. It’s not something you plan, it happens subconsciously, and it’s sad. I can’t get to most of the games due to playing but when I check the scores if we’ve lost, it no longer ruins my Saturday – I move on. This should be a worry not only for the board but also to all those fans who come on here with a seemingly moral high ground approach and give it the big ‘bye then, we don’t need you’ towards people that feel this way. The truth is the club does need us – each and every one of us. A club with such a proud history and top drawer infrastructure in place should be a force in Scottish football and this has never rung more true than now with the state Rangers find themselves in.

Apathy is the only word I can think of that accurately sums it up. For the time being at least, the fire in the belly would appear to be gone.

Ray_
24-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I am well aware of the apathy, but is it too simplistic to say if you want to go you will, if not you won't?

To many, of course its far too simplistic & I must say that to even suggest that, you just have to be on a wind up. Going or not going, in the way you put it, is what a football fan does regarding the cinema.

Baldy Foghorn
24-02-2012, 05:28 PM
To many, of course its far too simplistic & I must say that to even suggest that, you just have to be on a wind up. Going or not going, in the way you put it, is what a football fan does regarding the cinema.

I am not at the wind up, I have read a number of posters on here, who say they won't go because we are rubbish and seem to revel in it....Basic choice of wanting or not wanting to go (For avoidance of doubt, not people who cant afford it, are working or have other factors, I am talking about fans who can, but choose not too)

Twa Cairpets
24-02-2012, 07:11 PM

So you're now saying if we were better than we are then we'd actually be less interested? Interesting argument...

I dont spend as much on Hibs either comapred to what I used to.The ast time we were down I only missed two games home or away, but I've not been to many away games in the last 4 years or so because of other things. No song or dance, just had other things I wanted to do more than travel to Perth or Paisley. Absolutely no difference in the expectation of a reuslt, just different circumstances.

As for your first point, I just don't by that argument at all. If you went to football on the basis of how your money was being spent you'd never go to any game ever. in fact th emore I think about it the more absurd a position it is - "I'm so concerned my £30 on a ticket and pie and coffee and programme is going to be blown on some no-mark, well I'm just not going to give it to them. I'm not going until every penny is spent on enticing the type of player I regard as being "Hibs Class" is guaranteed to me, signed in Petries blood, b'god!"

Choosing not to go because of concern of the wisdom of how a budget is spent is laughable, it really is. (By the way I exempt Hearts fans from this point of view - not going to Tynecastle to cock-a-snook at a conman draining the life from a club is a different matter entirely).

Billy Whizz
24-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I am not at the wind up, I have read a number of posters on here, who say they won't go because we are rubbish and seem to revel in it....Basic choice of wanting or not wanting to go (For avoidance of doubt, not people who cant afford it, are working or have other factors, I am talking about fans who can, but choose not too)

Strangely I know these people too. They will be the 1st ones onto me for tickets if we were to get to Hampden this season!

Sergy Pie
24-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Football has changed over the last 20 years or so with fans becoming a cash cow in the eyes of those running the game. If there's an increased emphasis on taking your money and the way fans are seen by those people, i dare say the attitude of some fans will be to scrutinise the product on offer in maybe a different light than they would have done years ago.

I understand where the original poster is coming from. The dynamics of the game have left some in vacuum where they care and don't at the same time. That's how i feel. It's not just about digging deep and getting behind your team anymore, there's more to be unhappy about than just your team not doing well.

I think that makes sense :greengrin

Baader
24-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Relegation would represent a total disaster. We need to pull together, stay up and see that the club we love learns its lessons to ensure we are NEVER in this predicament again.

Steve-O
24-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Football has changed over the last 20 years or so with fans becoming a cash cow in the eyes of those running the game. If there's an increased emphasis on taking your money and the way fans are seen by those people, i dare say the attitude of some fans will be to scrutinise the product on offer in maybe a different light than they would have done years ago.

I understand where the original poster is coming from. The dynamics of the game have left some in vacuum where they care and don't at the same time. That's how i feel. It's not just about digging deep and getting behind your team anymore, there's more to be unhappy about than just your team not doing well.

Think I know what you mean, and therefore think I agree :greengrin

GreenCastle
24-02-2012, 08:57 PM

I think I understand what your saying :greengrin

I know plenty of people who can afford to go but at the same time have decided not to go to games as they feel it's not value for money / entertainment. These people are also some of the biggest Hibs fans I know - and you can argue all you want by saying they aren't fans for not going but at the end of the day they may just possible be wiser to save their money and not waste it on a second rate product.

Value for money isn't just up here in Scotland I also think the English Premiership prices for games are madness but that's another discussion.

The Modfather
24-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I can completely relate to the opening post. Up until the the new East was opened I'd had a season ticket for 8 years. I went through the boredom of the Williamson era, and the excitement of the Mowbray era.

The Williamson years were grim, I remember one Sunday me and my mate having to physically drag each other to a Sunday game v Dundee Utd. I'm sure Latapy was playing for Utd at the time. We were a poor team, and the football was awful to watch. The difference then was, despite it not being an enjoyable experience, we at least had a whole raft of youngsters in the team. The youthful exuberance and watching them develop was the reason I went.

I was fed up during the Mixu era, and stopped attending season ticket games under Mixu. It wasn't necessarily the results that turned me away, it was the attitude of the players, lack of fitness, lack of organisation and general lack of professionalism that pushed me away. While I would not be happy with the quality of a poor Hibs team consisting the likes of Hogg, Stevenson, Rankin etc, I would at least respect the players and acknowledge that, while they weren't good enough, they at least exuded the basics I expect of a professional footballer - fitness and professionalism. A struggling Hibs team like that the last few years would not have pushed me away and led me to feel much apathy towards Hibs.

At first I felt guilty for not renewing, but as time has passed I have come to realise I have nothing to feel guilty about and I have no obligation to spend money on something I no longer enjoy or feel is far from value for money. An upturn in fortunes and results isn't the quick fix to get me back, what would get me back permanently is the team being organised, fit and a feeling that win lose or draw they put a shift in worthy of earning their wage.

I can afford a season ticket and to attend the games, but (with the exception of Tynecastle, the one fix I can't shake off, despite the little joy we get from it) I wont pay more than £15 for Hibs/Scottish football. I attended the game at Tannadice on xmas eve, while it was grim to watch. I was comfortable that £10 was a fair price for what was on offer. Similiar with £15 for the Killie cup game. In my group of football mates (three lapsed Hibees and two lapsed sheep fans) we have talked about getting Spartans season tickets next season. £65, which we are happy is value for money for the level we will be watching.

Baldy Foghorn
24-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Relegation would represent a total disaster. We need to pull together, stay up and see that the club we love learns its lessons to ensure we are NEVER in this predicament again.

:top marks:top marks:top marks

Amen to that....

RIP
24-02-2012, 10:20 PM
We are in this predicament for 2 reasons

A Board that know zip about how to rebuild a football team after selling the family silver and
Supporters who mistakenly believe that the next manager and next set of players will be better than the last - and almost never are

Not enough of us were standing up and saying STOP!! when the board kept losing manager after manager and when each new manager was ditching the current squad in favour of signing a new squad. We chattered excitedly at each batch of new signings like kids opening their Christmas presents only for those same presents to end up in the bin soon after. No strategy, no stability, no continuity.

So now after 12 painful months of winless Saturdays at Easter Road none of us can see where our next home victory is coming from. That may be one of the worst (if not the worst) home record in SPL history. Enough to test anyone's loyalty when considering buying a season ticket for 2012/2013.

See you all at the St Mirren game :flag:

AgentDaleCooper
24-02-2012, 10:29 PM

there isn't a contradiction as far as i can see - i take his point to be not "i don't care about hibs FULL STOP", but "i don't care about hibs' results, and i think this is sad". the second reading is a view shared by many, and is a view that quite entitles one to a rant, because it is sad that many people feel this way.

Ray_
24-02-2012, 10:30 PM
So you're now saying if we were better than we are then we'd actually be less interested? Interesting argument...

I dont spend as much on Hibs either comapred to what I used to.The ast time we were down I only missed two games home or away, but I've not been to many away games in the last 4 years or so because of other things. No song or dance, just had other things I wanted to do more than travel to Perth or Paisley. Absolutely no difference in the expectation of a reuslt, just different circumstances.

As for your first point, I just don't by that argument at all. If you went to football on the basis of how your money was being spent you'd never go to any game ever. in fact th emore I think about it the more absurd a position it is - "I'm so concerned my £30 on a ticket and pie and coffee and programme is going to be blown on some no-mark, well I'm just not going to give it to them. I'm not going until every penny is spent on enticing the type of player I regard as being "Hibs Class" is guaranteed to me, signed in Petries blood, b'god!"

Choosing not to go because of concern of the wisdom of how a budget is spent is laughable, it really is. (By the way I exempt Hearts fans from this point of view - not going to Tynecastle to cock-a-snook at a conman draining the life from a club is a different matter entirely).

As for the first bit in bold, of course there is interest in us getting points just now, because in our current situation we are seriously in danger of not amassing enough to stop us going down, if we weren't in danger, some of us wouldn't be as fussed as we are now.

It really doesn't matter if you buy the argument or not, the fact is that I don't spend nearly as much as I did on Hibs because of the millions I believe this inept board has wasted & I've no confidence in them doing anything other than that.

By the way, you seem to have got rather ahead of yourself, I never said or suggested that I didn't go to matches because of how the budget was spent, I don't go because I have seen better matches in my local leagues & I'm disgusted how we have got ourselves in the position where we are.

The reference about the spending comes mainly through merchandise, with two mid-teen sons, who would have between two or three strips, each, per season, plus the training gear and all the other stuff, I'd spend a pretty penny, not now though, for the reasons given.