PDA

View Full Version : League or Cup

Hibs3-2
24-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Its the last 2 games of the season..

Home to Dunfermilne with both teams tied on points
Hibs v Hearts scottish cup final

we can only win one of those 2 games, which would you choose?

SteveHFC
24-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Scottish Cup

Saorsa
24-02-2012, 01:08 AM

we can only win one of those 2 games, which would you choose?Win the yams game

I'd take a draw with Dunfermline tae beat them on gaol difference :greengrin

Hibs3-2
24-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Win the yams game

I'd take a draw with Dunfermline and beat them on gaol difference :greengrin

Was wondering when that response was going to come! didnt take long :faf:

Saorsa
24-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Was wondering when that response was going to come! didnt take long :faf:sorry tae have spoiled it so soon :greengrin

Diclonius
24-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Cup every single time, even if it was Auchinleck Talbot. Beating them would just make it sweeter.

hibee92
24-02-2012, 01:56 AM
hibs v hearts - cup. has to be.

but any other team in the final i'd be wanting to stay up.

jgl07
24-02-2012, 02:06 AM
I would go for the cup even if it meant relegation. Just to wipe the smug look from the Jambos's faces! Relegation can be followed by promotion. So it could be a win-win situation.

I may even opt for relegation without the Cup win as it would get Hibs away from the corrupt ****-heap that the SPL has become for one season at least.

Anyway there is unlikely to be relegation from the SPL this year with the impending demise of Rangers (and Hearts)!

basehibby
24-02-2012, 02:25 AM
It'd have to be the cup - getting that monkey off our backs would be well worth the hit.

If we were to beat the Yams in the final you could relegate us to Div 3 and you still wouldn't wipe the smile off my face :greengrin

spike220
24-02-2012, 04:24 AM
It'd have to be the cup - getting that monkey off our backs would be well worth the hit.

If we were to beat the Yams in the final you could relegate us to Div 3 and you still wouldn't wipe the smile off my face :greengrin

Cup - beating the yams 3-0 in the final, or a controversial penalty in the 89th minute would do just as well.

IWasThere2016
24-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Cup

stubble
24-02-2012, 10:36 AM
No contest: It's seeing the faces of the collective jambo hordes as we beat them in the Scottish cup final, and the sheepish look on their faces on Monday morning at work. They really would feel deflated forever more and totally lost without their constant jibes about our appalling Scottish cup record:cb The high from this would carry me through the following season as we go for a doddle and a holiday, laying waste to every team in division one on the way to the championship.

Hibernia&Alba
24-02-2012, 10:41 AM
League for me. Relegation could put the club back years. It could be disastrous. Losing a cup a final against the maroon monsters, as awful as the thought is, would mean losing a one off game.

tanfield
24-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Cup please!

heretoday
24-02-2012, 10:54 AM
The Cup. They can go out of business after that for all I care.

I don't really mean that.

BonnieFitbaTeam
24-02-2012, 11:04 AM
League for me. Relegation could put the club back years. It could be disastrous. Losing a cup a final against the maroon monsters, as awful as the thought is, would mean losing a one off game.

Ordinarily if it was a straight choice between staying in the league and winning the SC I would say league, for the reason you state.

However, the OP is a little more specific. The chance to finally burst that appalling cup record AND to grind the Jambos down in the final is just too good to turn down.

Sir David Gray
24-02-2012, 06:27 PM
League win by some considerable distance as relegation could cripple us for years to come.

It would be fantastic to win the cup and end the long wait, it would be even better if it came against Hearts in the final but it's absolutely vital that we remain an SPL club. That should be our one and only aim this season.

I really don't think people who are voting for the cup have really thought this through properly. Losing to Hearts in a cup final would be awful, really horrendous but in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't have a lasting effect on the club that could damage it in the longer term, in the way that relegation would.

Scouse Hibee
24-02-2012, 06:48 PM
The Cup, winning the cup would get that huge Monkey off our back and be the catalyst the club needs. Follow it up with a league title, two trophies and the good times would come back to ER.

Mr Rourke............................................ ..................the plane............................................. ......the plane

Dashing Bob S
24-02-2012, 06:51 PM
I'd go for winning the Hearts cup game and drawing the DAFC league fixture. We'd have beaten Los Yambolinos in a cup final and our superior goal difference would keep us up at DAFC's expense.

It's called having your steak bride and eating it.

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Me too

Paisley Hibby
24-02-2012, 07:03 PM

This is a no brainer.

erin go bragh
24-02-2012, 07:06 PM
League win by some considerable distance as relegation could cripple us for years to come.

It would be fantastic to win the cup and end the long wait, it would be even better if it came against Hearts in the final but it's absolutely vital that we remain an SPL club. That should be our one and only aim this season.

I really don't think people who are voting for the cup have really thought this through properly. Losing to Hearts in a cup final would be awful, really horrendous but in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't have a lasting effect on the club that could damage it in the longer term, in the way that relegation would.
I have thought this through properly , THE CUP , the last time we got relegated ,they won the cup , it doesnt get much worse than that ,does it .
ggtth

SouthamptonHibs
24-02-2012, 07:09 PM
100% Scottish Cup

I've seen us play in the SPL, there's no glory in finishing even 3rd, the only real reward is europe and these days we get punted out by a team we have never heard off

If we win the SC against Hearts you have bragging rights about the derby win and something tangible to touch which will be amazing for all Hibs fans to experience!

Anyway there won't be any relegation - the Huns will get punted out the league as they'll go into chapter 11 very soon:flag:

Sir David Gray
24-02-2012, 07:24 PM
I have thought this through properly , THE CUP , the last time we got relegated ,they won the cup , it doesnt get much worse than that ,does it .
ggtth

So because they once won the cup in the same year that we got relegated, you're now quite happy for us to win the cup in the same year that we get relegated?

I don't get the connection.

CropleyWasGod
24-02-2012, 07:29 PM
100% Scottish Cup

I've seen us play in the SPL, there's no glory in finishing even 3rd, the only real reward is europe and these days we get punted out by a team we have never heard off

If we win the SC against Hearts you have bragging rights about the derby win and something tangible to touch which will be amazing for all Hibs fans to experience!

Anyway there won't be any relegation - the Huns will get punted out the league as they'll go into chapter 11 very soon:flag:

Chapter 11?

Is that "What happened to the Jelavic cash?" :greengrin

R'Albin
24-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Win the yams game

I'd take a draw with Dunfermline tae beat them on gaol difference :greengrin

:tee hee:

hibs v hearts - cup. has to be.

but any other team in the final i'd be wanting to stay up.

:agree: The thought of watching them celebrating after winning another derby with the Scottish cup makes me sick, and if we won it would be monumental :thumbsup:

ballengeich
24-02-2012, 07:33 PM
The cup, whoever the final was against.

I've seen Hibs relegated twice and survived it, as has the club.

Leithenhibby
24-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Got to say "the cup" and the big cup at that.

AWOL for weeks ... :greengrin

Eyrie
24-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Since it's against Hearts, has to be the cup win.

Particularly with the other posts about drawing against Dunfermline.

erin go bragh
24-02-2012, 08:41 PM
So because they once won the cup in the same year that we got relegated, you're now quite happy for us to win the cup in the same year that we get relegated?

I don't get the connection.
Well, i will spell it out for you fh,if we were to get relegated and win the cup, it would be a hell of a lot easier to take than it was in 98 .
ggtth

Sir David Gray
24-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Well, i will spell it out for you fh,if we were to get relegated and win the cup, it would be a hell of a lot easier to take than it was in 98 .
ggtth

Fair enough, I would personally find it hard to celebrate as much as I should, after seeing us win the cup for the first time in over 100 years, if we had just been relegated to the first division the week before.

Relegation would be an absolute nightmare for us as a club and winning the cup 7 days later would be scant consolation, even if it was against Hearts.

gorgie_harp
24-02-2012, 08:55 PM

:agree::top marks

erin go bragh
24-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Fair enough, I would personally find it hard to celebrate as much as I should, after seeing us win the cup for the first time in over 100 years, if we had just been relegated to the first division the week before.

Relegation would be an absolute nightmare for us as a club and winning the cup 7 days later would be scant consolation, even if it was against Hearts.
Seen us relegated twice, and twice seen us bounce straight back up , never seen us win the cup, and agreed it would be bitter sweet, but sweet wins for me and id imagine thousands of others . tbh id do a deal with the devil right now, and take relegation .just to win the cup .
ggtth

spike220
24-02-2012, 09:13 PM
This thread is pure fantasy! You don't get a choice in real life you have to live with whatever happens, but I interested to learn how many people opt for the SC.

lyonhibs
24-02-2012, 09:24 PM
CUP CUP CUP CUP CUP CUP CUP CUP CUP CUP CUP CUP.

I'd prefer us to win the cup personally...

Macaroon
24-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Hearts, hands down :flag:

basehibby
24-02-2012, 10:16 PM

NOPE - disagree - winning the cup would give a boost to the club which would outweigh the costs of relegation IMO. It would give the fans a much needed shot in the arm that would stretch forward for a lot longer than a season in the 1st div and would provide sufficient extra finances and confidence to make an SPL absence for longer than a season extremely unlikely.

Not that I see this as anything like a likely scenario. If this Hibs team was to reach the final - never mind winning the competition - I'd expect it to be accompanied by an upsurge in league form that would see us well safe long before the last game of the season.

All the same, my feelings remain the same. The thought of relegation fills me with dread but the fact that my grandparents have lived and died without Hibs winning the cup puts that in perspective - I'd happilly take a season in the 1st Div with European football thrown in and a Scottish Cup in the bag!

NB - winning it against Hearts would have the bonus of perpetual bragging rights until such time as they could achieve the same feat of winning a Cup Final Derby!

Viva_Palmeiras
25-02-2012, 09:08 AM

Excellent wind em up and let em go! :wink::greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
25-02-2012, 09:09 AM
oh and two words for the mix

Portsmouth :wink: